Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,085 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:51 AM

Subsidy Removal As Elite Banditry, Reverse Robin Hoodism By Farooq A. Kperogi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Subsidy Removal As Elite Banditry, Reverse Robin Hoodism By Farooq A. Kperogi (21212 Views)

Tinubu’s Anti-people, Reverse Robin Hoodist “courage” By Farooq A. Kperogi / Sanusi's Removal As Emir: Dele Momodu Poses Question On Future / Junaid Mohammed: Sanusi’s Removal As Emir Won’t Cause Any Crisis In Kano (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Subsidy Removal As Elite Banditry, Reverse Robin Hoodism By Farooq A. Kperogi by Racoon(m): 1:01pm On Jul 01, 2023
Twitter: @farooqkperogi

This week's column tackles the rhetorical fraud of the justifiers of petrol subsidy removal and shows that subsidy removal will do more harm than good in the short and long term:

I really wanted to stop talking about subsidy removal for two reasons. One, senseless, right-wing, anti-people economic populism has become hegemonic in Nigeria as a direct result of careful, deliberate, sustained, artful, and largely unimpeded propaganda by out-of-touch and unfeeling World Bank/IMF ideologues in Nigeria such as Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, Peter Obi, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Akinwumi Adesina, and others.

Two, because corrosive right-wing populism now enjoys an unchallenged rhetorical high ground, opposing it comes across as deviant, unreasonable, and tone deaf. Most people whose quality of life is being eroded, and in some cases outright exterminated, by the withdrawal of the state from the quotidian life of the citizenry (which subsidy removal represents) have been brainwashed into supporting the policy.

They fight people who question the wisdom in exposing vulnerable populations to the torments of the elements through World Bank/IMF-dictated subsidy removal policies.

At a point, you ask yourself if there is any merit in fighting for a people who are deeply invested in their self-immolation, who are cheerleaders for their oppressors, who fight you for fighting for them, whose counterattacks you need to fend off as you attack their attackers, and who remind you of Zimbabwean nationalist Benjamin Burombo’s pithy observation that “Each time I want to fight for African rights, I use only one hand — because the other hand is busy trying to keep away Africans who are fighting me.”

But two things caused me to change my mind. The first was a conversation I had with my retired uncle who told me in a moment of profound despair that the agony that the removal of petrol subsidies has brought on him has compelled him to give up on living and to prepare for his death. That broke my heart. Paradoxically, though, he praised the government for “saving the masses” by removing petrol subsidies, which he thought hurt only “the greedy oil marketers.”

Until I pointed it out to him, he didn’t have any self-awareness of the relationship between the unbearable anguish he was experiencing and the removal of fuel subsidies. That’s precisely what social scientists mean when they say an idea has become hegemonic: most people accept it as self-evidently commonsensical and beyond debate even if it isn’t. Even people who criticize the removal of subsidies in Nigeria only criticize its timing or method, not its undesirability.

Of course, it’s hard to justify apportioning any blame to the Tinubu-Shettima administration for the removal of subsidies. For one, the departing Buhari administration made it a fait accompli.

It wasn’t just that removal of petrol and other subsidies were some of the terms and conditions international lenders gave the Buhari administration for securing loans that were stolen with impunity, no provisions were made for subsidy payments in the current budget, which the Buhari regime prepared.

For another, deceitfully engineered mass rage against “subsidy” is so strong in the public sphere that if Tinubu didn’t announce the removal of petrol subsidies, he would have been attacked by both the elite and the poor, not to mention by international finance institutions. Thanks to the successful propaganda of our homegrown neoliberal, right-wing ideologues, being heartless, cold-blooded, indurate, and anti-people is now celebrated as bold, brave, and beautiful.

That’s why I have zero respect for Peter Obi supporters who are critical of Tinubu’s removal of petrol subsidies. More than anyone in the last two years, Obi has emerged as the most passionate assaulter of basic compassion in governance.

He parlayed his popularity with a section of Nigeria into an opportunity to attack subsidies, deodorize wickedness in governance, and convince people that a poison that destroys them piecemeal is actually salutary for them. In other words, he helped to create the manufactured anti-subsidy consensus that Tinubu is now exploiting.

And this leads me to the second reason I’ve decided to embark on this futile swim against the self-destructive mainstream of anti-subsidy sentiments in Nigeria. Ideologues of subsidy removal base their arguments around four major points: that it benefits only a few elites, particularly greedy oil marketers; that government needs the money it saves from removing subsidies to fund education, health, and infrastructure (the same canard we’ve consistently heard since the 1980s); that it’s riddled with corruption, which necessitates its removal; and that petrol subsidies only subsidize consumption at the expense of production at a time we need to move from “consumption to production.”

These are all hollow, threadbare, and logically impoverished arguments. For starters, the notion that subsidies don’t benefit the poor is one of the stupidest, most manifestly flawed fallacies I’ve encountered in my entire life. Petrol subsidies are the only subsidies that benefit all strata of the Nigerian social hierarchy. All other subsidies exclusively benefit the rich.

The evidence stares at us everywhere if we care to look with sensitivity and empathy. It stares at us in the crushing collapse of everyday life in Nigeria because of the removal of fuel subsidies. Transport fares have more than tripled. The cost of food has more than tripled, too, because of the increase in the cost of transporting food from point to point.

People are resigning from their jobs because the cost of transportation to work is now higher than their monthly salaries. So, unemployment, which is already unsustainably high, will triple with the attendant unsettling effect on society.

The informal economy, where the vast majority of Nigerians are employed, is folding because small businesses can't power their generators for their businesses in the absence of stable electricity from the national grid. Small businesses such as grinding machine businesses that use generators to power their engines are packing up.

Those that can afford to power their generators can't produce because everyday folks can't afford the new petrol-price-increase-inflected cost of the goods and services they produce. This reality gives the lie to the idea that we’re subsidizing “consumption” and not “production.” Consumption and production are not mutually exclusive; they’re mutually reinforcing.

Schools and even government ministries in many states are reducing workdays because ordinary people can no longer afford the 5-day commute to school or work. That affects productivity and the future of our children. And some people say petrol subsidies benefited only a few rich people? What kind of mind-altering weed do these callous dunderheads smoke?

Even the wicked wretches and witches at the World Bank have conceded that an additional 7.1 million Nigerians will be thrown into the menacing trap of multidimensional poverty as a result of the removal of petrol subsidies.

“Without compensation, many households could be pushed into poverty by higher petrol prices and forced to resort to coping mechanisms with long-term adverse consequences, such as not sending children to school, or not going to health facilities to seek preventative healthcare," the World Bank said.

And oil marketers? These are friends of people in government who have been given blank cheques to extort Nigerians as they wish.

When Tinubu announced the removal of petrol subsidies, these same marketers who are supposed to be the targets of subsidy removal arbitrarily jacked up their pump prices to more than N500 per litre on old stock that was subsidized by taxpayers, and which was supposed to be sold at N184. That was a government-sanctioned rape of Nigerians.

Now the oil marketers say whenever they replenish the current stock, Nigerians will pay more than N700 per liter starting this July. In other words, whether or not there are subsidies, the marketers will always make money.

There is unanimity of opinion that petrol subsidy administration is riddled with unspeakable corruption, as everything else in Nigeria is. But why is the corruption in petrol subsidy administration the only kind of corruption that causes the government to stop it? Why not the corruption in the turn-around maintenance of non-functional refineries, for example, where way more money is stolen than in subsidies? For that matter, why not governance itself, which is a magnet for the biggest corruption in Nigeria?

Every government project is amenable to corruption. Even in the US here, welfare projects for poor people and unemployment benefits for people who have lost their jobs are riddled with corruption.

The recent COVID relief funds, for example, were undermined by corruption. But you know what the government here hasn't done? Stop helping people who need it because of the corruption in the programs designed to help them. You know what it does? Go after the corruption in the system.

Instead of reforming the dispensation of subsidies so that people who need the relief can get it, people are being told to “sacrifice.” As an elder statesman told me recently, the poor are actually now being “sacrificed” while the political elites use proceeds from the removal of subsidies to fund their luxuries.

But you will never hear opponents of subsidies (who, by the way, benefited from subsidies right from their primary school up to their universities but who now want to break the ladder they used to climb to their current positions) talk about the corrupt, unearned privileges of the rich and the powerful.

Their “bravery” and “expertise” come forth only when they attack subsidies for the poor, when they defend the destruction of the fabric of society that mean, racist, and hateful IMF/World Bank economists recommend. No society that brazenly starves and robs its poor to enrich its rich should expect to make progress or enjoy peace.
https://www.farooqkperogi.com/2023/07/subsidy-removal-as-elite-banditry.html

48 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Subsidy Removal As Elite Banditry, Reverse Robin Hoodism By Farooq A. Kperogi by Racoon(m): 1:33pm On Jul 01, 2023
The evidence stares at us everywhere if we care to look with sensitivity and empathy. It stares at us in the crushing collapse of everyday life in Nigeria because of the removal of fuel subsidies. Transport fares have more than tripled. The cost of food has more than tripled, too, because of the increase in the cost of transporting food from point to point.

People are resigning from their jobs because the cost of transportation to work is now higher than their monthly salaries. So, unemployment, which is already unsustainably high, will triple with the attendant unsettling effect on society.

The informal economy, where the vast majority of Nigerians are employed, is folding because small businesses can't power their generators for their businesses in the absence of stable electricity from the national grid. Small businesses such as grinding machine businesses that use generators to power their engines are packing up.

Those that can afford to power their generators can't produce because everyday folks can't afford the new petrol-price-increase-inflected cost of the goods and services they produce. This reality gives the lie to the idea that we’re subsidizing “consumption” and not “production.” Consumption and production are not mutually exclusive; they’re mutually reinforcing.
The euphoria behind fuel subsidy removal is dawning on general outlook of life in Nigeria today. This is a necessary evil we could have avoided many years ago, but the demons in the present government made it look as if it was not an existent policy, hence demonised the then govt. Today, they want to look like saints? No way!

76 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Subsidy Removal As Elite Banditry, Reverse Robin Hoodism By Farooq A. Kperogi by BadMaster: 1:36pm On Jul 01, 2023

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Subsidy Removal As Elite Banditry, Reverse Robin Hoodism By Farooq A. Kperogi by Racoon(m): 1:36pm On Jul 01, 2023
Bottom line; ".....The poor are actually now being “sacrificed” while the political elites use proceeds from the removal of subsidies to fund their luxuries.

But you will never hear opponents of subsidies (who, by the way, benefited from subsidies right from their primary school up to their universities but who now want to break the ladder they used to climb to their current positions) talk about the corrupt, unearned privileges of the rich and the powerful...."

57 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Subsidy Removal As Elite Banditry, Reverse Robin Hoodism By Farooq A. Kperogi by Sangoamadioha1: 1:59pm On Jul 01, 2023
Racoon:
The euphoria behind fuel subsidy removal is dawning on general outlook of life in Nigeria today. This is a necessary evil we could have avoided many years ago, but the demons in the present government made it look as if it was not an existent policy, hence demonised the then govt. Today, they want to look like saints? No way!

His argument in no way buttresses your point.
You are saying the timing is wrong but he is saying, which i agree with, that subsidy is necessary and govt should go against the corruption in subsidy administration and not subsidy itself.

93 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Subsidy Removal As Elite Banditry, Reverse Robin Hoodism By Farooq A. Kperogi by Opanka44(m): 3:32pm On Jul 01, 2023
Subsidy removal is anti-people especially the poor masses. Deal with those stealing our crude oil and not removing the subsidy. We are suffering. People are dying of Hunger

63 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Subsidy Removal As Elite Banditry, Reverse Robin Hoodism By Farooq A. Kperogi by Flets: 3:35pm On Jul 01, 2023
Subsidy is sustainable if we subsidize our true consumption. The people should not be punished for the failure of the politicians.

Government is about the people and not about the politicians. We claim we have no money for subsidy but they have money for the Unending looting.

There are still a lot of things to be done before total subsidy removal. They should go after the subsidy thieves and close our borders to smuggling products.

They should prosecute and jail defaulters. They should subsidize our true consumption which is about 15million liters a day and not the 66 million liters they claim due to corruption.

They should reduce the cost of governance , their allowances and lots of waste to be cut first. Government is about the people and not about the politicians.

They should fix the power sector and provide enablers for the manufacturing sector

There are lots to be done before total removal of subsidy. Everyday we hear this politician stole 130 billon, another 77 billion….. unending looting.

They should not transfer the inefficiencies of governance to the people. These criminals in power must be held accountable

63 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Subsidy Removal As Elite Banditry, Reverse Robin Hoodism By Farooq A. Kperogi by LegendHero(m): 3:36pm On Jul 01, 2023
Opanka44:
Subsidy removal is anti-people especially the poor masses. Deal with those stealing our crude oil and not removing the subsidy. We are suffering. People are dying of Hunger. The hardship is intense

I’ll rather the government use the subsidy savings to increase minimum wage, lift people out of poverty by providing meaningful grant and low interest loans for small businesses, secure the nation which will inturn drive agricultural food production, invest massively in Agriculture and create an environment where the poor farmer can preserve his farm produce with proper storage facilities across the country.

Nigeria is a crazy country. No matter the strategy you put in to curb subsidy, they will always outgame the system. Almost all president tried to block the loophole but it’s just impossible because corruption only thrive when people can game the system.

Take Dollar arbitrage for example. People lie about importing/schooling and etc, get $$ at official rate and just sell at black market rate. They are making billions by doing nothing. The banks themselves are the culprit, common man will not get $$ easily at official rate and only powerful people do.

That suffering and hunger can be worked on by the government. That’s what Tinubu should find ways to curb with the savings they get from subsidy and other sources.

72 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal As Elite Banditry, Reverse Robin Hoodism By Farooq A. Kperogi by LegendHero(m): 3:36pm On Jul 01, 2023
For the past decade, people have been clamoring for subsidy to be removed but no president has the balls to proceed with it.

During the campaign season, the highlight of the campaign is all candidates vowing to remove fuel subsidy if they get elected.

So I don’t know all the blame game about about Subsidy removal and bla bla bla.

Tinubu already spoke about his palliative program to ease the burden on people and they already have committee looking into that and will be rolling it out soon.

Even if petrol sell for 1 trillion, subsidy is gone forever. I would rather activists and people should start pressuring Tinubu government to release the palliative programs as soon as possible like minimum wage increment, improving security/infrastructure, access to low interest loan for MSME as promised, and etc.

The Tinubu that I know will not back out. Subsidy on petrol is gone!!!

60 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Subsidy Removal As Elite Banditry, Reverse Robin Hoodism By Farooq A. Kperogi by Adurax: 3:36pm On Jul 01, 2023
Lets see how that goes

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Subsidy Removal As Elite Banditry, Reverse Robin Hoodism By Farooq A. Kperogi by Houseontherock1: 3:51pm On Jul 01, 2023
undecided
Re: Subsidy Removal As Elite Banditry, Reverse Robin Hoodism By Farooq A. Kperogi by id4sho(m): 5:44pm On Jul 01, 2023
tongue
Re: Subsidy Removal As Elite Banditry, Reverse Robin Hoodism By Farooq A. Kperogi by tremilatre(m): 5:44pm On Jul 01, 2023
I had this conversation with a friend and I can't say it any louder, subsidy removal is the biggest shortchanged the Nigerian masses have endured. And to think we took it lying down is really baffling.
What then is our benefit as Nigerians being an oil producing state? The arguement that it benefits cabals or neighbouring countries is really dumb cos I wonder why we can't plug these holes.
In UK, we have several subsidies: Energy subsidy through the winter, council tax holidays, help to buy scheme for mortgage, furlough scheme among others, same with other western nations, yet we allow IMF to dictate how we run our economy. The thing really vex me cos all my folks in naija are really having it rough

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Subsidy Removal As Elite Banditry, Reverse Robin Hoodism By Farooq A. Kperogi by Boyooosa(m): 5:44pm On Jul 01, 2023
Dear Kperogi, by now, you should know that your serial epistles bore us but we endure and try to read you out, now, this is another chance to read from you and you refused to conjoin valid points to deliver the heading you gave to your piece.

Well, for your information, subsidy regime is gone! and will be gone forever!

Our task is endure for a period and the task of the government is to be sincere with Nigerians....Kperogi, this particular piece of yours o wo na

5 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal As Elite Banditry, Reverse Robin Hoodism By Farooq A. Kperogi by WorldRichest: 5:45pm On Jul 01, 2023
Thief Thief Jankoriko.

One of the subsidy thieves has shown his face. Ogun kee your Mama

3 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal As Elite Banditry, Reverse Robin Hoodism By Farooq A. Kperogi by Dittodat: 5:45pm On Jul 01, 2023
K
Re: Subsidy Removal As Elite Banditry, Reverse Robin Hoodism By Farooq A. Kperogi by Cemsorcems: 5:45pm On Jul 01, 2023
A
Re: Subsidy Removal As Elite Banditry, Reverse Robin Hoodism By Farooq A. Kperogi by superCleanworks(m): 5:45pm On Jul 01, 2023
Nigerians are paying fuel subsidy

If you have three children using the school bus then you will know how much you are paying for that alone per term/session right now

2 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal As Elite Banditry, Reverse Robin Hoodism By Farooq A. Kperogi by Reon: 5:45pm On Jul 01, 2023
undecided
Re: Subsidy Removal As Elite Banditry, Reverse Robin Hoodism By Farooq A. Kperogi by superCleanworks(m): 5:45pm On Jul 01, 2023
Thorrson:
All I can say is that may God help this corn tree

God is busy with other serious countries.
subsidy removal was/is a good idea but you do not put the horse before the cart.
there was no landing pad for Nigerians and now Nigerians are paying heavily for it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Subsidy Removal As Elite Banditry, Reverse Robin Hoodism By Farooq A. Kperogi by BigBlackPreek(m): 5:46pm On Jul 01, 2023
On his mandate I stand,

Ashiwaju Jagaban!

2 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal As Elite Banditry, Reverse Robin Hoodism By Farooq A. Kperogi by flexyrule(m): 5:46pm On Jul 01, 2023
Okay
Re: Subsidy Removal As Elite Banditry, Reverse Robin Hoodism By Farooq A. Kperogi by SweetDipBenny(m): 5:46pm On Jul 01, 2023
🤔

3 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal As Elite Banditry, Reverse Robin Hoodism By Farooq A. Kperogi by Dotherightthing: 5:47pm On Jul 01, 2023
This guy should just shut up jor

There is no free lunch in life

6 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal As Elite Banditry, Reverse Robin Hoodism By Farooq A. Kperogi by Primusinterpares(m): 5:47pm On Jul 01, 2023
Gbam
Re: Subsidy Removal As Elite Banditry, Reverse Robin Hoodism By Farooq A. Kperogi by Brushstrokes20: 5:47pm On Jul 01, 2023
Spot on! cool
# The shithole from fry pan to FIRE 🔥
... And ogun kee any brainless buffoon that quotes me to spit trash! undecided

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal As Elite Banditry, Reverse Robin Hoodism By Farooq A. Kperogi by Praktikals(m): 5:48pm On Jul 01, 2023
cheesy
Re: Subsidy Removal As Elite Banditry, Reverse Robin Hoodism By Farooq A. Kperogi by nurric(m): 5:49pm On Jul 01, 2023
This regime will favor me and my family..don't suffocate us

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

CNN Headline: Latest News On Nigeria / Judge Awards Dino Melaye N10Million In Case Against The Nigerian Police / Official Handover Of The Atiku-Obi Presidential Campaign Office In Awka-PICTURES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.