Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,184 members, 7,811,471 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:18 PM

Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd (38190 Views)

See What I Saw In A Church I Visited In South Asia! / Does The Church I Attend Matter? / Timi Dakolo Married In My Church, I Knew Of The Rape-Pastor Yemi Davids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by SeriouslySense(m): 1:41pm On Jul 02, 2023
The white man, is a broad category, many are not Christians, so its inaccurate to make conclusion based on faulty Introductions

But you are right about cultural influences. smiley

although it seems not mandatory for women to cover their heads, in the Bible they are advised to cover their heads, although i am not sure if Paul was speaking based only on cultural context, since he also attributes it to covering their glory.

Even if a woman's head it not covered, its decent to wear clothing's, that do not bring distractions.

God is everywhere, yes, but there are significance to certain things, the altar is significant because of God purpose, and if we respect God, we have to recognize the significance of what he does.

TheAdvocate:

This is my response to you:
1. The white men that brought the gospel to you wore trousers both male & female.
2. Do you believe that God answers prayer because of your headtie or because you had no cap on?
3. Speaking in tongues is not modernization, it's in the Bible.
4. Members and men don't wear cap into church but the Bishop & Archbishop wears cap.
5. The white women don't wear headtie or scarf or veil because it's not their culture.
6. You made specific reference to the altar thereby restricting the presence of God to a particular location eg church or altar. God is everywhere.
7. There is no posture for prayer.
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by Lucifyre: 1:43pm On Jul 02, 2023
OluwaLina1:
Happy sunday nairalanders.
I moved to a new area(Student area) and decided to attend a nearby church.

These are what I noticed.

-- I was the only one that used scarf.Even the choristers and the female ministers didn't use scarf.

--Almost all the female members are putting on trousers,ladies that put on gowns/skirt are not up to 20%.
I was even surprised that the two female ministers and the female choristers also put on trouser to climb the church alter.

--During prayer intersection,I noticed everybody were praying in tongues and it seems am the only person not filled with the holy spirit to speak in tongues.
Even when we were asked to pray on our offering,people still prayed in tongues.

And it just seems I'm odd among them or is it that am not modernized?

When i see people speaking gibberish sorry tongues, i just smh. Most of these so called Christians don't even know thier bible. Even the ones that claim to know hv different interpretations for the same thing while hearing from the same God, hence u have 10,000 + denominations practicing different things. Ironically some don't even see eye to eye. Is it not the same God.

Notice how everyone that speaks in tongues, never speaks human tongues that are understood, they all speak angelic tongues that no one can understand. Also one of the signs of the spirit is to interpret tongues. Notice how u hardly hear about the gift of interpretation of tongues in the church., which is one of the signs of the spirit. According to the bible, not everyone must speak in tongues , there are other gifts that show signs of the spirit. Why are they all focusing on speaking angelic tongues. Why don't they speak in tongues to one another with one to interpret like in the bible, why only to God.

The answer is quite simple really. It's an easy cop out with no need for proof or validation. I can come out and read the alphabet backwards and say im speaking in tongues. Bunch of jokers the lot of them. Where are those gifted with interpreting of the so called tongues? Where are those that speak in human tongues or languages they've never heard? None... Don't u think it'll be interesting to see people speaking in tongues and one's speaking gaelic and the other aramaic while someone gifted is interpreting. Trust me uld never see that.
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by femtex007(m): 1:43pm On Jul 02, 2023
frenzy48:
one new generation church I attended some weeks ago,,the ushers all wore trousers,the worship singer dyed his hair pink, choristers wore tight seductive trousers,,guys were allowed to wear caps while girls didn't cover their hairs .some guys even came with crossing bag .I just felt odd
u mean guys were allowed to wear cap? That one na America wonder oh
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by frankblinkz(m): 1:45pm On Jul 02, 2023
Dididrumz:

You conclude from the "everybody speaking in tongues" abi? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
I swear,the First day I went there they were even forcing me to speak in tongues,they even have special class for it.

Some church don dey do me like scam this days

2 Likes

Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by ahnie: 1:45pm On Jul 02, 2023
Expect replies like....mind your business, you're not in church to judge anybody from pretenders that has turned the house of God into caricature.

2 Likes

Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by IyfeNamikaze(m): 1:45pm On Jul 02, 2023
sotall:
undecided

A significant number of black people have woken up and liberated from the scam of Abrahamic religion i.e Christianity and islam

If you still practice any of the two Abrahamic religion, its time you wake up and ditch that slave master's history book.

Have you asked yourself with number of churches and mosque in Nigeria and the amount of prayers offered, the country is very backward and not working?

If we can conclude anything, it is that the prayers aren't working.

If the prayers they offer works, Nigeria will be heaven on earth by now considering the number of churches on every inch and corner of Nigeria.

If 80% of the buildings used as worship centers are turned to factories, do you know how much it will contribute to Nigeria's economy?

The reason the prayers Don't work is because We Africans have brought in our African beliefs and traditions into Christianity!
Now let me explain: In the African beliefs and traditional practices, the people to their chi or gods, and offer prayers and sacrifice to it to come and cleanse the Land in times of trouble and the gods smite the evil doers who have wrought evil into the Land almost immediately. We Africans make the mistake of thinking that God works that way. He doesn't! So that's why people like you (African man) feels disappointed with God. But you're not the first to feel disappointed that God's will and purpose doesn't align with yours.

Before the coming of Christ, the prophets ( Jeremiah, Isaiah, Malachi, Ezekiel) all prophesied about His coming. In their prophesies, God was going to send the Messiah who would come from the branch of David ( as the heir to the throne of David) and liberate the Israelites from their oppressors, chains and captivity and set them on a new height and establish his kingdom with a new Law. When Christ was born, and began his ministering on earth, Israel was under the rule of Roman, and many Jews seeing his works and knowing that he is from the line of David believed him to be the Messiah ( Liberator) who would start a radical revolution against the Roman empire and deliver the Jews from the Roman rule. But they were all Disappointed just like you are when Christ did none of that but instead preached a different kind of Salvation, deliverance or Libration to them, a spiritual Libration, the salvation of their souls.
So my brother, the Good news was not to liberate Israel from the Romans or anybody but rather for their spiritual Libration. That the same way God is not going to answer the prayers to make Nigeria better, because that's not Christ's mission. Pray for your neighbors, for your brothers and sisters that's the prayers God will answer. Not earthly prayer for your earthly enjoyments.

I feel like a lot of preachers are missing the Point and that's why people like you are feeling disappointed but I pray God sends a truer Teacher to you.

2 Likes

Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by Dadimendino: 1:45pm On Jul 02, 2023
maivd:

Islam is full lies and deceit....it is infested with demonic teachings,murderers,slave traders,paedophiles,hatred and intolerance. Islam is the weapon of the devil.

My dear don't give ignorance a chance, free your mind and do genuine research about Islam. Your blind eyes will be opened and you will identify the truth and embrace Islam.

A lot of people from the west ignorantly and out of hatred spoke ills about Islam in the past but today most of them are now moslems testifying and converting their people into the only religion recognized by God.

All prophets and messengers of God practice Islam.
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by Onyiiobi7735(m): 1:47pm On Jul 02, 2023
sotall:
undecided

A significant number of black people have woken up and liberated from the scam of Abrahamic religion i.e Christianity and islam

If you still practice any of the two Abrahamic religion, its time you wake up and ditch that slave master's history book.

Have you asked yourself with number of churches and mosque in Nigeria and the amount of prayers offered, the country is very backward and not working?

If the prayers they offer works, Nigeria will be heaven on earth by now considering the number of churches on every inch and corner of Nigeria.

If 80% of the buildings used as worship centers are turned to factories, do you know how much it will contribute to Nigeria's economy?

Lol! Oga, stop ranting in frustration.Religion has nothing to do with underdevelopment.
Saudi Arabia is developed and they practice religion, likewise UAE, Bahrain,Kuwait.
Switzerland has numerous churches and Christians,yet it is highly developed, likewise US, Germany,Canada,Spain, Italy,France, Singapore, Japan.
Reason properly before posting.
Religion is not the cause of underdevelopment, rather people's attitude and activities are.

1 Like

Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by awakmfon03(m): 1:48pm On Jul 02, 2023
[b][/b] QUESTION?
What's wrong in wearing trousers to church,
Please in trying to answer, step the obvious with clear scriptural explanation (not quoting of verses)
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by sotall(m): 1:49pm On Jul 02, 2023
Stevengold:

Your thoughts,
Now mine: even if 100% of churches are used for factories. Your government will pull it down!
Ask yourself how many government owned institutions or factories still functions?

The one individuals try to build they frustrate them with heavy tax levy.
I live in a state where the government told a construction 🚧 company that wanted to base in Nigeria. 60/40. That is, government will own 40% and they 60% outrageous.
Before innoson motors got a name in Nigeria, do you know the battles

Your country doesn't like good things, the goal is to keep everyone pooor. So even if they change churches to factories, government will pull it down. Na me dey tell you. simple, so let's pray our way out instead.

Yes the government has its own blames in Nigeria's economic woes and underdevelopment but my writeup was focusing on the part of the citizens as they too are responsible for what Nigeria has become today.

A people who have been indoctrinated and brainwashed by religion can never be productive.
They are mentally lazy and have conditioned their mind and energy into believing and wishfull thinking which are by-products of prayers.

Have you wondered why we barely produce most of what we use in our day to day life?

How did other progressive countries get to where they are today? They didn't pray nor started to believe in imaginary things. They worked for it.
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by Glory2DLamb(m): 1:49pm On Jul 02, 2023
Prince202020:
In the heart, we serve God

Be deceiving yourself.

1 Like

Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by SeriouslySense(m): 1:51pm On Jul 02, 2023
I think you are rushing into hasty conclusions.

You forget that educational levels are different between the regions, and for instance education is lower in the north than in the south and sometimes the south is not encouraged to realize its full potential, in order to not outshine others and to prevent the south form becoming too independent.

For instance Igbos are very religious, but they are also very industrious, its not the religion, its the value system.

Yoruba are also very smart, and can be very flexible, it has nothing to do with religion, but their value system.

If these two tribes are allowed to do as they want to do, they can become like advanced Nations.

The country has a problem of people with different values and people are sometimes intimidated by the talents of others because they are lacking in themselves, and want them suppressed.
sotall:

Yes the government has its own blames in Nigeria's economic woes and underdevelopment but my writeup was focusing on the part of the citizens as they too are responsible for what Nigeria has become today.

A people who have been indoctrinated and brainwashed by religion can never be productive.
They are mentally lazy and have conditioned their mind and energy into believing and wishfull thinking which are by-products of prayers.

Have you wondered why we barely produce most of what we use in our day to day life?

How did other progressive countries get to where they are today? They didn't pray nor started to believe in imaginary things. They worked for it.

Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by thinkmoney(m): 1:51pm On Jul 02, 2023
samuelson06:

Through our words and actions, God knows who is His own.

Whether you wear trouser, leave your head open or cover it with scarf, God knows those that are worshiping Him in Spirit and in truth. I hate it when people try to point out or try to castigate the action of others because of their own definition of serving God. Sometimes, they even allow others influence how they respond to God. Meanwhile, your worship or service to God is a highly personal thing.
I don’t know your religion but what Bible teaches is that our worship of God is more than a personal thing... it is a worship that is regulated by the Bible and that place high importance on our consideration of what others think about us (yes really! As a Christian we have to be concerned about what others think about us)
In the Bible we are enjoined not to conform to the WORLD. As a Christian we should be careful of what people at a particular time judge to be things of the world.
If the Bible say that during prayers women should cover their heads especially women with shaven heads, then women should. The Bible explains that this token shows they know their position and its respect even to angels.
We should also be careful not to dress in a way people can mistake us to yahoo yahoo people. Yes that’s Christianity
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by oluwaseyi0: 1:52pm On Jul 02, 2023
Dogi1:
So sad the western world is destroying everything for us.

the western world own christianity in the first place, so they can do whatever they like with it

they brought it to us but we never ask where they got it, who gave it to them?
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by Truthday: 1:53pm On Jul 02, 2023
maivd:

Islam is full lies and deceit....it is infested with demonic teachings,murderers,slave traders,paedophiles,hatred and intolerance. Islam is the weapon of the devil.

Christianity is blood sucking cult. Full of murderers and fool mumu followers LovePeddler just sheep.
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by steeltrust: 1:54pm On Jul 02, 2023
OluwaLina1:

-- I was the only one that used scarf.Even the choristers and the female ministers didn't use scarf.

--Almost all the female members are putting on trousers,ladies that put on gowns/skirt are not up to 20%.
I was even surprised that the two female ministers and the female choristers also put on trouser to climb the church alter.

--During prayer intersection,I noticed everybody were praying in tongues and it seems am the only person not filled with the holy spirit to speak in tongues.

I guess it Christ embassy

Them like over sabi for that church eh πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by jaxxy(m): 1:54pm On Jul 02, 2023
sotall:
undecided

African religion is worse the the so called Abrahamic one.
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by Nobody: 1:55pm On Jul 02, 2023
chigoziri2403:
It's your first time in the church
Its okay to feel ostracised
With time, you will feel among
Probably buy a few trousers and brush up your queen's English
As for speaking in tongues...... Maybe you learn a foreign language or an indigenous language like efik or birom

angry grin
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by SeriouslySense(m): 1:55pm On Jul 02, 2023
Don't go there please grin grin grin grin. They will cry now, if they are exposed. grin grin grin
jaxxy:

Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by Proffdada: 1:56pm On Jul 02, 2023
sotall:
undecided

I wonder how many factories you have built. Those religious institutions still employ people. I don't know why you try to bring your misotheistic ideology into this

1 Like

Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by IyfeNamikaze(m): 1:57pm On Jul 02, 2023
Lucifyre:

When i see people in speaking gibberish sorry tongues, i just smh. Most of these so called Christians don't even know thier bible. Even the ones that claim to know hv different interpretations for the same thing while hearing from the same God, hence u have 10,000 + denominations practicing different things. Ironically some don't even see eye to eye. Is it not the same God.

Notice how everyone that speaks in tongues, never speaks human tongues that are understood, they all speak angelic tongues that no one can understand. Also one of the signs of the spirit is to interpret tongues. Notice how u hardly hear about the gift of interpretation of tongues in the church., which is one of the signs of the spirit. According to the bible, not everyone must speak in tongues , there are other ones that show signs of the spirit. Why are they all focusing on speaking angelic tongues. Why don't they speak in tongues to one another with one to interpret like in the bible, why only to God.

The answer is quite simple really. It's an easy cop out with no need for proof or validation. I can come out and read the alphabet backwards and say im speaking in tongues. Bunch of jokers the lot of them. Where are those gifted with interpreting of the so called tongues? Where are those that speak in human tongues or languages they've never heard? None... Don't u think it'll be interesting to see people speaking in tongues and one's speaking gaelic and the other aramaic while someone gifted is interpreting. Trust me uld never see that.

This is true. A lot of people don't open their bible actually read it. They just wait for the preachers to read it for them . That's why we're having all these different interpretation of something so simple and straight forward. During the pentecost in Act 2:1-13 the apostles who spoke in tongues had people who were present who could understand what they were saying. And speaking in tongues is a miraculous phenomenon, not something someone just mounts pulpit and start yabbing God knows what. And it is supposed to be an earthly languages for the people of earth to understand. All the times that the Angels spoke to people in the bible, the Angels spoke in language that the receiver would understand ( native language).
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by echoofsalvation: 1:58pm On Jul 02, 2023
My dear Sister, I know that you already knew the truth. Please don't play with your salvation, I will advice you to leave that church and look for the living church because there are many dead churches out there. This is Paul's warning about dead church or gathering: 2 Timothy 4:3-4 "For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths."
I pray that God will uphold you and your likes till the end in Jesus Name. Amen

1 Like

Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by tremilatre(m): 2:00pm On Jul 02, 2023
Thomasankara:
[/color]and it stated that glory must be covered and not exposed to someone who isn't your husband[color=#770077]

Very well so, which I addressed in my follow on statement.
Ironically same chapter mentions the hair as a woman's glory, if today's culture believes in women emancipation, why subject them to the now dated principle of hair covering?
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by Gppgn(f): 2:02pm On Jul 02, 2023
sotall:

This response is coming from a brainwashed and indoctrinated brain
if you think there's no God,,,, you are mad
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by WorldRichest: 2:03pm On Jul 02, 2023
chigoziri2403:
As for speaking in tongues...... Maybe you learn a foreign language or an indigenous language like efik or birom

You are a bad boy. You are a very bad boy

1 Like

Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by Gppgn(f): 2:04pm On Jul 02, 2023
jaywon442:
we are the destroyer not the western world. Why don't we follow their footsteps in creating our own aicrafts and phones.
what's stopping you from creating one? Or u don't have the brain?
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by Ferdinandu(m): 2:04pm On Jul 02, 2023
OluwaLina1:

Religion is officially a social gathering. Understand that and be at peace then decide whether to join any or not
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jul 02, 2023
jaxxy:

Why do you need a religion?
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by gentlesmithugo(m): 2:05pm On Jul 02, 2023
JohnBullMySon:
I don't know. If I'm not comfortable with it I'll find another church. Not to come online to complain.

Let's start learning how to mind our business in Nigeria. Everybody always thinking their tribe or religion is better than the other person.
u r talking rubbish son
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by Ayatullah(m): 2:05pm On Jul 02, 2023
chigoziri2403:

Your recommendations are perfect if she wants to by all means remain among those who fool themselves, knowing fully well that they are fooling themselves.

I however see in her a lady that wants to serve God decently, so I believe your recommendations are going to be rejected by her.

I pray she finds satisfaction in the natural and perfect religion Jesus Christ the son of Mary practiced - ISLAM.

Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by JohnBullMySon: 2:08pm On Jul 02, 2023
gentlesmithugo:
u r talking rubbish son
Countries where people mind their business are the most developed in both human capital and infrastructure.
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by deyplay: 2:09pm On Jul 02, 2023
frenzy48:
one new generation church I attended some weeks ago,,the ushers all wore trousers,the worship singer dyed his hair pink, choristers wore tight seductive trousers,,guys were allowed to wear caps while girls didn't cover their hairs .some guys even came with crossing bag .I just felt odd
there are always options, don't be a hypocrite. Incase you don't know, there are alternatives e.g. Deeper life, MFM, Lord's Chosen, CAC etc. This fit into what you are looking for. And stop going to those churches that do or wear such things shikena. But, being the person you are, you won't still go to the churches I mentioned but go to where you can criticise while there are options.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply)

Islamic Agenda For Nigeria – Pastor Bosun.... RCCG Pastor. (A Must Read) / Pastor Gives Church Members Beer During Deliverance (Photos) / Bishop Oyedepo: "I Have Not Invested Money Into Any Business, Yet I'm Blessed"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.