Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,987 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:17 PM

Valuable Lessons From The Corporate World - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Valuable Lessons From The Corporate World (10319 Views)

What Valuable Online Skill Can A 23 Year Old Learn Now? / Some Hard Lessons About The Corporate World / 30 Entrepreneurs That Quit The Corporate World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Valuable Lessons From The Corporate World by Talk2Suzan(f): 7:27am On Jul 03, 2023
Some of the biggest lessons learned in the corporate world-
1. Use your brain at work and emotions at home

2. Nobody is your friend at the workplace. Trust me!

3. If you can solve every problem of the management, they will always be by your side.

4. Never write/reply to any mail when you’re frustrated.

5. Your boss could be friendly, but at the end of the day, he is not your friend. Respect boundaries.

6. The relationship between Employer and employee is solely based on revenue.

7. Don't fear failure and rejection.

8. Follow up is the key to everything.

9. You'll meet some amazing people; learn from them.

10. Feed your subordinates with your maximum knowledge, encourage them, cheer them and eventually when they make breakthroughs, celebrate with them. The best thing you can give to a person is your knowledge.

11. Focus on developing and using your strengths.

12. Work until the work is done.

13. Learn how to change the situation, not the person.

14. Effective communication, negotiation and leadership skills are a must to learn as early in your life as possible.

15. You’ll find a colleague in every office who keeps bitching about everyone. Find that him/her at the earliest and stay a mile away

16. People are nice to you only when you are influential or they need you. Once the need or influence changes, so does their behavior.

17. Shit travels up. Never complain about your superiors to peers or staff.

18. In any company, everybody is a salesperson. If you are not selling anything, you are an expense.

19. Everyone is replaceable and you will eventually be replaced.

20. When you are the star performer, most mistakes are forgiven.

21. Stay out of comparisons, you are unique.

22. Human Resources is there to protect the company, not you.

23. You are never the smartest one in the room.

#Mindset_Therapy
#T2S Therapy Cares

121 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Valuable Lessons From The Corporate World by trilacos: 3:11pm On Jul 03, 2023
Re: Valuable Lessons From The Corporate World by lonelydora: 3:12pm On Jul 03, 2023
24. Invest disproportionately between your high performing and low performing staff.

25. Retain your high performing employees with mortgage.

2 Likes

Re: Valuable Lessons From The Corporate World by toluleke(m): 3:12pm On Jul 03, 2023
God help us

1 Like

Re: Valuable Lessons From The Corporate World by Sijo01(f): 3:12pm On Jul 03, 2023
Great points!

24. Avoid office politics

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Valuable Lessons From The Corporate World by C2Ok: 3:15pm On Jul 03, 2023
Man just come life to come work for who come life to come chop 😪🤲

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Valuable Lessons From The Corporate World by ednut1(m): 3:16pm On Jul 03, 2023
Save part of your salary . So you can use it as capital

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Valuable Lessons From The Corporate World by mrdharkchild(m): 3:18pm On Jul 03, 2023
There's no general formular for it.
What works for Mr. A will definitely not work for Mr.B.

Following your instincts is best, to save us from penning down so many rules for ones life.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Valuable Lessons From The Corporate World by oluwaseyi0: 3:19pm On Jul 03, 2023
very true

1 Like

Re: Valuable Lessons From The Corporate World by Hassanmaye(m): 3:25pm On Jul 03, 2023
Talk2Suzan:

3. If you can solve every problem of the management, they will always be by your side.

5. Your boss could be friendly, but at the end of the day, he is not your friend. Respect boundaries.

10. Feed your subordinates with your maximum knowledge, encourage them, cheer them and eventually when they make breakthroughs, celebrate with them. The best thing you can give to a person is your knowledge.

14. Effective communication, negotiation and leadership skills are a must to learn as early in your life as possible.

15. You’ll find a colleague in every office who keeps bitching about everyone. Find that him/her at the earliest and stay a mile away

16. People are nice to you only when you are influential or they need you. Once the need or influence changes, so does their behavior.

18. In any company, everybody is a salesperson. If you are not selling anything, you are an expense.

#Mindset_Therapy
#T2S Therapy Cares
Thank you. Add office romance mostly doesn't end well

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Valuable Lessons From The Corporate World by gabbasin: 3:29pm On Jul 03, 2023
I can connect with 20 on the list, my boss was telling me and my colleagues then that if any one of us makes any silly mistakes he/she will be queried, but he will let go the star performer among us if he commits same mistake

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Valuable Lessons From The Corporate World by pacespot(m): 3:30pm On Jul 03, 2023
Talk2Suzan:

#Mindset_Therapy
#T2S Therapy Cares

Thank you for these salient points.

I'm glad that the Nairaland bigotry in recent days has not chased people like you away.

6 Likes

Re: Valuable Lessons From The Corporate World by 360command: 3:33pm On Jul 03, 2023
Talk2Suzan:

#Mindset_Therapy
#T2S Therapy Cares
why don't you put all that to be entrepreneurial .
Re: Valuable Lessons From The Corporate World by TheBillyonaire: 3:35pm On Jul 03, 2023
If those bullet points keep you comfortable, by all means, make it your Bible. Not everyone is an Employee grin

6 Likes

Re: Valuable Lessons From The Corporate World by Sonnobax15(m): 3:35pm On Jul 03, 2023
cool
Thank you for this,op........ You just made my fvcking day an awesome one cool

1 Like

Re: Valuable Lessons From The Corporate World by TheBillyonaire: 3:37pm On Jul 03, 2023
gabbasin:
I can connect with 20 on the list, my boss was telling me and my colleagues then that if any one of us makes any silly mistakes he/she will be queried, but he will let go the star performer among us if he commits same mistake

It will be silly to not ignore a mistake from a star performer, why would he let go a star? Does not make sense.

1 Like

Re: Valuable Lessons From The Corporate World by XtraFortunes: 3:45pm On Jul 03, 2023
Work until work is done? Who does that? Does work ever end or gets finished?angry

You work until closing hour and go home to continue the next day. If you work excessively and fall ill and die somebody else will replace you at work in a few weeks undecided

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Valuable Lessons From The Corporate World by Ologbon1: 3:56pm On Jul 03, 2023
[all these....
Re: Valuable Lessons From The Corporate World by Kobicove(m): 4:06pm On Jul 03, 2023
Sijo01:
Great points!

24. Avoid office politics

Easier said than done!
Re: Valuable Lessons From The Corporate World by Kobicove(m): 4:07pm On Jul 03, 2023
XtraFortunes:
Work until work is done? Who does that? Does work ever end or gets finished?angry

You work until closing hour and go home to continue the next day. If you work excessively and fall ill and die somebody else will replace you at work in a few weeks undecided

grin

1 Like

Re: Valuable Lessons From The Corporate World by Helpfromabove1(m): 4:08pm On Jul 03, 2023
G
Re: Valuable Lessons From The Corporate World by Seankhalifa: 4:24pm On Jul 03, 2023
1. Try dey change am for ur boss once in a while... make see finish no enter... 9ja boss don't give a Bleep about u...
2. Don't fxck ur co workers... u will always regret it
3. Move from d work when u get a better offer.. no b ir papa get d place..
4. If dey are under paying you talk... it not about... or u no wan buy house for ur mama?
5. Always put in ur best and fuxk d amebo...

6 Likes

Re: Valuable Lessons From The Corporate World by TrapKVNG(m): 4:26pm On Jul 03, 2023
mrdharkchild:
There's no general formular for it.
What works for Mr. A will definitely not work for Mr.B.

Following your instincts is best, to save us from penning down so many rules for ones life.

Re: Valuable Lessons From The Corporate World by TrapKVNG(m): 4:26pm On Jul 03, 2023
XtraFortunes:

Re: Valuable Lessons From The Corporate World by TrapKVNG(m): 4:27pm On Jul 03, 2023
TheBillyonaire:

It will be silly to not ignore a mistake from a star performer, why would he let go a star? Does not make sense.
Re: Valuable Lessons From The Corporate World by LAXconfidential(m): 4:29pm On Jul 03, 2023
Seankhalifa:
1. Try dey change am for ur boss once in a while... make see finish no enter... 9ja boss don't give a Bleep about u...
2. Don't fxck ur co workers... u will always regret it
3. Move from d work when u get a better offer.. no b ir papa get d place..
4. If dey are under paying you talk... it not about... or u no wan buy house for ur mama?
5. Always put in ur best and fuxk d amebo...

That number 2, I will never forget the lesson I learnt from it.
Re: Valuable Lessons From The Corporate World by LAXconfidential(m): 4:29pm On Jul 03, 2023
XtraFortunes:

lol
Re: Valuable Lessons From The Corporate World by LAXconfidential(m): 4:30pm On Jul 03, 2023
gabbasin:
true

(1) (2) (Reply)

Employees Don’t Leave Companies, They Leave Managers / Share Your Career Transition Experience / The Entrepreneur Africa Brings Together Boss Ladies In Lagos (females Only)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.