Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,912 members, 7,821,178 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:20 AM

The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 (19745 Views)

FG Begins 14-day Paternity Leave For Civil Servants / Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn / Benue, Kogi, Plateau Pay Civil Servants High Despite Poor Revenue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 by zicoraads: 11:23am On Jul 03, 2023
KingOfTheDamned:

You must be an iliterate.

Let me guess you believe school is a scam. And anyone who opposes Tinubu you believe the person is Ibo right ?
You called me an illiterate.

Then you went on to take a guess over something you know nothing of; you took another guess over another thing you know nothing of... then finally arrived at a conclusion you know nothing of.

So pray tell, who acted like an illiterate between you and I?

1 Like

Re: The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 by TenQ: 11:24am On Jul 03, 2023
Akinpedia:
In Nigeria, civil servants traditionally retire at the age of 60. However, there has been a growing trend among civil servants to seek retirement at the age of 65 instead. While this may seem like a personal choice for individuals, it has significant negative effects on the Nigerian economy and the functioning of public institutions.

Let's explore the adverse consequences of civil servants seeking retirement at the age of 65 and the potential solutions to mitigate these challenges.

Decreased Efficiency and Productivity

One of the primary negative effects of civil servants seeking retirement at age 65 is the decline in efficiency and productivity within public institutions. As individuals approach retirement age, their motivation and energy levels tend to diminish.

This can result in reduced work output, increased absenteeism, and a lack of enthusiasm for carrying out responsibilities. Consequently, the overall efficiency and effectiveness of public services suffer, negatively impacting the Nigerian population.

Hindered Generational Shift and Skill Gap

By extending the retirement age to 65, the natural process of generational shift within the civil service is hindered. Younger, talented individuals who are eager to contribute their skills and fresh perspectives are held back by the prolonged presence of older civil servants.

This creates a skill gap, as experienced workers who could have mentored and trained the next generation are still occupying crucial positions. The delay in transitioning leadership roles to a younger workforce hampers innovation and stifles progress within public institutions.

Increased Financial Burden on the Government

Retirement benefits and pension payments place a considerable financial burden on the Nigerian government. By allowing civil servants to retire at age 65 instead of 60, the government has to bear the cost of providing additional years of retirement benefits.

This strains the already stretched public finance system, diverting resources that could have been invested in crucial sectors such as healthcare, education, and infrastructure development. It also contributes to the pension liabilities of the government, potentially leading to fiscal challenges in the long run.

Limited Opportunities for Unemployed Youth

Nigeria faces a high youth unemployment rate, with many graduates struggling to find suitable employment opportunities. Extending the retirement age for civil servants exacerbates this problem by reducing job openings within the civil service. Young graduates who aspire to work in the public sector are faced with limited opportunities due to the prolonged tenure of older civil servants. This imbalance creates frustration and disillusionment among the youth, potentially leading to social unrest and an overall decline in national productivity.

While it is understandable that civil servants may desire to extend their working years for personal reasons, the negative effects of seeking retirement at age 65 in Nigeria cannot be ignored. From decreased efficiency and productivity to hindering generational shifts, the consequences are far-reaching and detrimental to the Nigerian economy and public institutions.

It is essential for the government to carefully assess and address these challenges by implementing effective policies, such as encouraging early retirement incentives and creating opportunities for young talent to thrive. By striking a balance between the needs of retiring civil servants and the overall well-being of the nation, Nigeria can achieve a more sustainable and efficient civil service system.
If only your Government made Retirement a time to look forward to, there would have been no problem.

Retirement is when a person who used to earn N300k per month get paid N60k at retirement. Tell me why such should think of retiring?

Is it to his benefit or your own benefit for a civil servant to retire?

1 Like

Re: The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 by Toria04: 11:28am On Jul 03, 2023
Abeg 65 years is ok. I don't see any negative effect anywhere around it unless the individual has a health challenge. cool
Re: The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 by ppogba: 11:29am On Jul 03, 2023
EmeeNaka:
Nah
Increment in civil service age doesn't affect productivity negatively.
What Nigeria need is a good working culture, where targets are placed on each office, which they must meet. And also, there will be an appraisal system, where people are probed of their activities to make sure it meets the standard requirements

If increment in age does not affect productivity negatively then, nothing else Will. Why not clamour for it to be increased to 75 years?

You want us to believe there has not being a decline in the productivity of someone who has been on a job for over 30-35 years?

Sir, go and research on what and what can increase or decrease productivity.

1 Like

Re: The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 by Lukuluku69(m): 11:34am On Jul 03, 2023
lafiagi007:
I agree with you somehow sha, but the government needs to improve the welfare of pensioners otherwise there'll always be fear of going on retirement.

In as much as I agree with you on Govt need to improve on welfare of pensioners, I still think the Retirement Age should still be 60.

Majority of Civil Servants that I know don't leave off the Pensions. They have played the system so much so, they have all that they need for Retirement.

And what do you need for Retirement? Shelter, Clothing, Food and Medications.

Even if they stayed till 70yrs, the needs after Retirement are still the same. Leaving at 60, open up space for the new intakes as such Wealth are spread withing the Nation.

1 Like

Re: The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 by ppogba: 11:35am On Jul 03, 2023
zicoraads:
It also has its advantages. For instance, the experience garnered over the years will take a longer time getting a newbie to get there.

This argument is debatable.

Experience from the banking.sector.has shown that the.so called experience is exaggerated and over hyped.

The banking of late 80s, 90s and early 2000 where BMs are old men with a trailer load of staff like secretaries etc were rubbished with the coming of new generation banks.
Re: The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 by Bfly: 11:37am On Jul 03, 2023
This worry is just a symptom. No one wishes to still go to work at 65. But this is where we are

90% of civil servants are using reduced age. Opportunities hardly take the front doors.

My fancy is such that; Between 2030 and 2040, new set of leaders will fully emerge and hopefully Nigeria experiences renewal politically.
Re: The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 by juman(m): 11:38am On Jul 03, 2023
Its wish proposal for civil servants to retire at the age of 65.
Every modern society thinking how to push up their retirement age.

But my fear is nigerian at the age of sixty years old is already sick, and we have bad health care system to take care of people.
So there would be record high absence from work for such group of workers.
At the end it might not make sense.
But the government can give it a trial to see how it goes.
Re: The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 by juman(m): 11:41am On Jul 03, 2023
We should note that it was said the very senior civil servants are the biggest thieves in the society.
So EFCC and ICPC should be independent to curb corruption.
Re: The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 by Tareq1105: 11:47am On Jul 03, 2023
Akinpedia:
In Nigeria, civil servants traditionally retire at the age of 60. However, there has been a growing trend among civil servants to seek retirement at the age of 65 instead. While this may seem like a personal choice for individuals, it has significant negative effects on the Nigerian economy and the functioning of public institutions.

Let's explore the adverse consequences of civil servants seeking retirement at the age of 65 and the potential solutions to mitigate these challenges.

One of the primary negative effects of civil servants seeking retirement at age 65 is the decline in efficiency and productivity within public institutions. As individuals approach retirement age, their motivation and energy levels tend to diminish.

This can result in reduced work output, increased absenteeism, and a lack of enthusiasm for carrying out responsibilities. Consequently, the overall efficiency and effectiveness of public services suffer, negatively impacting the Nigerian population.

By extending the retirement age to 65, the natural process of generational shift within the civil service is hindered. Younger, talented individuals who are eager to contribute their skills and fresh perspectives are held back by the prolonged presence of older civil servants.

This creates a skill gap, as experienced workers who could have mentored and trained the next generation are still occupying crucial positions. The delay in transitioning leadership roles to a younger workforce hampers innovation and stifles progress within public institutions.

Retirement benefits and pension payments place a considerable financial burden on the Nigerian government. By allowing civil servants to retire at age 65 instead of 60, the government has to bear the cost of providing additional years of retirement benefits.

This strains the already stretched public finance system, diverting resources that could have been invested in crucial sectors such as healthcare, education, and infrastructure development. It also contributes to the pension liabilities of the government, potentially leading to fiscal challenges in the long run.

Nigeria faces a high youth unemployment rate, with many graduates struggling to find suitable employment opportunities. Extending the retirement age for civil servants exacerbates this problem by reducing job openings within the civil service. Young graduates who aspire to work in the public sector are faced with limited opportunities due to the prolonged tenure of older civil servants. This imbalance creates frustration and disillusionment among the youth, potentially leading to social unrest and an overall decline in national productivity.

While it is understandable that civil servants may desire to extend their working years for personal reasons, the negative effects of seeking retirement at age 65 in Nigeria cannot be ignored. From decreased efficiency and productivity to hindering generational shifts, the consequences are far-reaching and detrimental to the Nigerian economy and public institutions.

It is essential for the government to carefully assess and address these challenges by implementing effective policies, such as encouraging early retirement incentives and creating opportunities for young talent to thrive. By striking a balance between the needs of retiring civil servants and the overall well-being of the nation, Nigeria can achieve a more sustainable and efficient civil service system.

How does it affect the output of Lecturers, Medical Consultants, Judges that retires at 70 yrs?

1 Like

Re: The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 by ppogba: 11:54am On Jul 03, 2023
juman:
Its wish proposal for civil servants to retire at the age of 65.
Every modern society thinking how to push up their retirement age.

But my fear is nigerian at the age of sixty years old is already sick, and we have bad health care system to take care of people.
So there would be record high absence from work for such group of workers.
At the end it might not make sense.
But the government can give it a trial to see how it goes.

Must we copy what every modern society is doing without considering the peculiarity of our own society?

Thank God the two other paragraphs you wrote have taken care of that.
Re: The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 by bobolaga: 12:08pm On Jul 03, 2023
If you wanted to make them retired at the age of 60, then you increased the conditions of services, if those daddy are well paid no one will work to an expired age.
Re: The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 by matm: 12:10pm On Jul 03, 2023
TemplarLandry:
cool

Govt should not increase retirement age of civil servants to 65.
At 60, many civil servants have lost their zeal.Its just business as usual and civil.setboce is not my father's job mentality.
For those on high level, one person's salary can be used to pay 12b nely employed civil servants monthly
Re: The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 by Dancebreaker: 12:12pm On Jul 03, 2023
pafestula:
35 years is even too much for a civil servants, 25 years is okay, and the age should be reduced to 50 years. This would create job opportunities for others.

Lol, when some people got the job at the age of 29? So after 21 years civil service work, govt should be paying pension for another 30 to 45 years, depending on God's mercy on each person's life?

65 should me minimum but with option of voluntary retirement on health or other grounds, such as after 35 years of service, as from 60.
Re: The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 by omojeesu(m): 12:14pm On Jul 03, 2023
Working for salary ultimately is a form of invisible slavery.

My advice to fellow salary earners:

Add passive income to your active income.

That's what I do as a salary earner!

*20 ways I earn passive income daily from TopUpandGetReward (even when I am asleep)!*

1. I get paid when *I recharge airtime* for *self*.
2. I get paid when *I recharge data* for *self*.
3. I get paid when *I subscribe* for cable TV *for self*.
4. I get paid when *I pay electricity bill* for *self*.
5. I get paid when *I sell airtime* to *others*.
6. I get paid when *I sell data* to *others*.
7. I get paid when *I subscribe* for cable TV *for others*.
8. I get paid when I *pay* electricity bill *for others*.
9. I get paid *when I introduce others* (directly & indirectly) to the platform.
10. I get paid when *those I introduced* (directly & indirectly) recharge airtime.
11. I get paid when *those I introduced* (directly & indirectly) recharge data.
12. I get paid when *those I introduced* (directly & indirectly) subscribe for cable TV.
13. I get paid when *those I introduced* (directly & indirectly) *pay* their electricity *bills*.
14. I get paid when *those I introduced* (directly & indirectly) *introduce others*.
15. I get paid when *those I introduced* (directly & indirectly) *sell* airtime.
16. I get paid when *those I introduced* (directly & indirectly) *sell* data.
17. I get paid when *those I introduced* (directly & indirectly) *subscribe* for cable TV *for others*.
18. I get paid when *those I introduced* (directly & indirectly) *pay* electricity *bills for others*.
19. I get paid *when I use my bonuses & commissions* to do all (1-9) above.
20. I get paid *when those I introduced use THEIR bonuses & commissions* to do all (1-9) above.
Re: The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 by enemyofprogress: 12:16pm On Jul 03, 2023
Op how old is the president and former president Buhari? Civil servants should retire at 90. What is good for the goose is good for the gardener

2 Likes

Re: The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 by Dancebreaker: 12:17pm On Jul 03, 2023
Tareq1105:

How does it affect the output of Lecturers, Medical Consultants, Judges that retires at 70 yrs?
There should always be exemptions. Critical skills category needs to be retained much longer. 65 is ok for the rest, possibly with option of voluntary retirement from 60 if they have served for at least 35 years already.
Re: The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 by sammiewrite(m): 12:17pm On Jul 03, 2023
In a country with life expectancy under 60 some people are still pushing for 65 retirement age. And then before you know it, we will be talking about 75, just as it is the case in the legal field.
The thing is, maybe there had been some before them, but I have never seen a generation as greedy and selfish as the generation of men and women who were born between 1930 and 1970. These were the generation that enjoyed the best of Nigeria and ruined it for the rest of us. The Nigeria their fathers and mothers didn't hand to them is what they're leaving behind for their children and grandchildren.
They enjoyed scholarships but today are saying education is not for the poor. The jobs they got for free 15, 25, 35 years ago they're today handing it out in cash and kind.
I mean just look at their greed playing out here again. Most of them got their current jobs when they were less than 25. Meaning at 60 years retirement age, they'd have worked for at least 35 years. A job you enjoyed its full benefits for 35 years, why wouldn't you want to give others a chance? If their grandparents had been this greedy and increased retirement age to 70 or 75 during their time, I'm sure most of the Baby Boomer generation and their cotraveler ancestor generation would have died, and many wouldn't have had the opportunity of getting to the current stage of their career...which, quite unfortunately, is what they're doing to the generation behind them.
And the funny thing is, when we talk about unemployment, they will be the first to castigate the government. I have always maintained, Nigerians are not victims, they're accomplices. And this is exactly why I don't see any hope in things getting better.
Re: The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 by Dancebreaker: 12:17pm On Jul 03, 2023
enemyofprogress:
Op how old is the president and former president Buhari? Civil servants should retire at 90. What is good for goose is good for the gardener
grin grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 by EmeeNaka: 12:21pm On Jul 03, 2023
ppogba:

If increment in age does not affect productivity negatively then, nothing else Will. Why not clamour for it to be increased to 75 years?

You want us to believe there has not being a decline in the productivity of someone who has been on a job for over 30-35 years?

Sir, go and research on what and what can increase or decrease productivity.
Nigeria has one of largest youth populations in the world, but our annual GDP is not anywhere close to that of some countries with less youth population. Reducing age of retirement is dangerous as it discriminate against those who are physically and mentally capable to perform. Like I have stated, every production section must be target driven. So, those who can't meet up must be set aside for those who can. In the UK, there are many individuals in their 60s who are very productive and I am sure this cut across all societies. So, I do believe that retirement age of up to 65years is not wrong. People can however chose to retire earlier.
Re: The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 by loliapoopy2013(f): 12:41pm On Jul 03, 2023
Tell that to the ruling class who have been ruling since the days of our fathers.
Re: The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 by SuperDann1(m): 1:40pm On Jul 03, 2023
And yet political positions like President, Senator, honorable and so on do not have these age limitations. What double standard
Re: The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 by Mahone05: 1:44pm On Jul 03, 2023
cheesy
Re: The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 by smartmotion: 1:58pm On Jul 03, 2023
Smart Motion Physiotherapy is dedicated to helping you achieve optimal health and wellness. In this article, we will explore the benefits of Massage Therapy In Surrey and vestibular therapy offered by Smart Motion Physiotherapy. Smart Motion Physiotherapy can help you achieve your health goals. Contact them today to schedule your appointment and experience the benefits of their massage therapy and Vestibular therapy Surrey services.

Website- https://smartmotionphysio.ca/massage-therapy/
Re: The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 by quickly: 3:00pm On Jul 03, 2023
Akinpedia:

65-70 is good enough

But politicians can come and be the bosses of civil servants and be above 70-80yr just like Bihari and Tinubu?

One law for the goose another for the gander
Re: The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 by Muraj: 3:04pm On Jul 03, 2023
To me, the years should be reduced to 55years so that young ones will be able to get job
Re: The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 by braveboy64(m): 5:09pm On Jul 03, 2023
The disadvantages seems to outweigh the advantages
Re: The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 by Love800(m): 6:14am On Jul 04, 2023
What is the difference btw civil nd public servants
engrjacuzzi:
I think the retirement age for both civil and public servant should peg at 60 years of age. No wonder most of our lawmakers sleep during plenary session as a result of old age.
Re: The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 by MamaletASO: 12:35pm On Jul 04, 2023
I don't know the rub*bish you typed here...

But I must tell you that longetivity doesn't affect productivity except if you lack intellectuality and technicality.

A research professor or judge, etc shld be retired at 60years..At dat age dey have become an encyclopedia of the system and they bring reference without looking for books or files..the more they live the better..
Don't be be-clouded by ur sufferings in d country..because u maybedamaging d system then.

65-70years is the way to go..
Fu*kc off!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here / Pay Rates For Healthcare Professionals In Nigeria / What's The Best 21 Century Skill To Learn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.