Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,248 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:39 AM

Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal (34582 Views)

Some Senators Want To Remove You Before June - Bamidele Tells Akpabio / Why Tinubu Forfeited $460,000 In US โ€” APC Tells Court / Bola Tinubu Forfeited $460,000 To US Govt For Narcotics Trafficking - Paul Ibe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by bentenny(m): 10:30pm On Jul 05, 2023
Burob:
And the irony is that whether he was caught or not, the constitution of 1999 as Amended, says banned 10 years within when the supposed conviction was commuted, those mumus are making much ado about an incident that happened in 1992/93, thirty years ago?

Even if he was convicted & spent 10 years in Federal prison & was released in 2004, statute of limitation has kicked in, he can contest to become the president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
You are sending your comment to the wrong person cool
Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by onuman: 10:31pm On Jul 05, 2023
GeneralDae:

Okay but APC just presented an FBI report from 2007 that states there was no criminal case against Tinubu.

Records of criminal elements who served out their sentences are only revisited if and when the person commits another criminal, or even minor, offence.

Who expected the FBI in 2007 to state that there is a criminal offence case against Tinubu after Tinubu had served the sentence of drug trafficking offences through his forfeiture of drug trafficking money many years before 2007?
Tinubu committed drug trafficking offences in the US, that's the kernel of the discourse.

1 Like

Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by TheGift: 10:43pm On Jul 05, 2023
A civil matter concerning proceeds linked to criminal drugs.
Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by AfonjaPriest: 10:47pm On Jul 05, 2023
Another ugly Tinubu trying to deceive cornfused agbado supporters.
Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by Arewagang: 10:50pm On Jul 05, 2023
GeneralDae:

Tinubu struggled in his early days in America.

This is a long read on Tinubu's early days.
Long but worth it.

https://thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2021/03/29/tinubu-at-69-his-life-story-from-rugged-early-period-escape-to-exile-others/

As to your second assertion, if in the court the person can prove he was merely given the bag to hold, why should the person be convicted or pronounced guilty?

I'm not against the person in the eyes of the storm. As a matter of facts, I lost faith in the political leadership of this Country a very long time ago. But we must learn to call a spade by what it is.
Now, in response to your querry on my second assertion, how do you prove your innocence when for instance, you're accused of wrongdoing? Is it by doing an acts which, in itself appears more suggestive of your implied admittance of the alleged wrongdoing
Asumming you were driving in your car and you drove into a petrol station to upment your tank, and while you were at the station to buy fuel for the car, someone came out and demanded that you hand him the keys of the car that the car belongs to him, will you hand the person your car keys as a way of proving your innocence that the car is yours and that you didn't steal it
Or will you, assuming you had bought that your car with 5 million Naira, now say okay, you will forfeit 2 million Naira for instance, to that person laying claim to your as a way of proving your innocence over the allegation of car theft
Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by Lotanna2: 10:51pm On Jul 05, 2023
onuman:

There were more than one FBI agents that sat on Tinubu's drug trafficking offences, found him guilty, and arrived at the verdict of punishment for the offences through his forfeiture of the drug trafficking money.
The many FBI agents who sat on the case constituted a JURY.
A jury is a body of individuals sworn to give a decision on some matter submitted to them.
The FBI agents got sworn into office the day they were employed.

The last inquiry on tinubu on fbi list returned negative.obi cannot win
Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by Lotanna2: 10:52pm On Jul 05, 2023
onuman:

Records of criminal elements who served out their sentences are only revisited if and when the person commits another criminal, or even minor, offence.

Who expected the FBI in 2007 to state that there is a criminal offence case against Tinubu after Tinubu had served the sentence of drug trafficking offences through his forfeiture of drug trafficking money many years before 2007?
Tinubu committed drug trafficking offences in the US, that's the kernel of the discourse.

He was never convicted
Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by DesignMaestro(m): 11:17pm On Jul 05, 2023
keymatt:
Let me ask you a simple question two years old ๐Ÿง“ can answer. Is forfeiture a punishment for wrong doing? YES OR NO?

That's where you guys are getting it wrong and I'm sure you are going to be disappointed by the time the tribunal trash the case as it has happened before.

Forfeiture is a punishment, yes. No one is denying that. But, has there been any concrete evidence to dispute Tinubu's version of the story that said he was only a third party and not among those who were convicted of the crime?

Is there any concrete evidence to prove that he was actually charged to court for committing a narcotic drugs related offence?

Is there any evidence to prove that he lied about his claim that payments totaling 460k USD were traced to his bank accounts and it was only the said amount that was forfeited out of the money he had in the accounts?

Is there any evidence to prove that the said forfeiture case was criminal and not civic?

As I have said before, any claim that he was involved in drug deals remains a conjecture so far non of his adversaries was able to provide concrete evidence that he was tried in a court of law for such criminal offence aside the fact that he forfeited 460k USD which he said was not directly his, but payment made to his account by people who were found to be involved in narcotic drugs deals (No one has been able to deny this claim with concrete evidence)
Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by Pointnoire(m): 11:25pm On Jul 05, 2023
Stop misinterpreting and saying what you don't know; Jury members are invited from the public, not from law enforcement. Also, disqualification can only come from a criminal conviction and not a civil case; the civil justice system in America does not attempt to determine the innocence or guilt of an offender, so the forfeiture case was a result of naro money traced to an account linked to Tinubu and unless a judge grants expunging a record it remains for as long as records are required to be kept

onuman:

Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by princejohnard(m): 11:27pm On Jul 05, 2023
Firstly learn to entertain contrary opinion without throwing tantrum. It will save you lot of stress.

Sharing apartment with someone and squatting MIGHT be same thing in this situation, by the way that's NOT the main issue. And it has nothing to do whether you're from Rich family or not. Mike Adenuga of "Glo" worked as a Taxi driver and security guard in London while studying despite coming from a very rich middle class family ( his Mother was the only mega distributor of Coke in Ijebu-land back then )

Now to the example you gave; If such happened. I would be given chance to PROVE my INNOCENCE at a COMPETENT COURT OF LAW. Remember the case of a Nigerian lady on her way to Saudi Arabia, that hard drugs were found in her luggage at Saudi Arabia airport, she PROVED her innocent or didn't she ?

I'm an apolitical Nigerian. And I believe Nigeria will be great

Arewagang:

Mr. Man, first and foremost, your analogy is empty as same is bereft of any modicum of logical empiricism.
Nevertheless, you have admitted that the person you are trying so hard to defend was a squatter, which is contrary to earlier proposition that, he was so rich and as such, could not afford to have quartted with anyone while in the US when this issue came up at the early stage. I remember Festus Keyamo once said, he was merely sharing apartment with suspected drug maffias.
Nevertheless, answer this question, going by your postulations, assuming your friend or any known person to you, hands his or her bag to you to hold, maybe at the Airport to hold for him, that he want to ease his or herself, and while you are still in possession of the said bag, a security personal at the place for whatever reasons demanded to search that bag in your possession and in the event of such search, found out that there were stolen items in the bag you were asked to hold by your friend. Will you be accused of being in possession of stolen items or you will be adjudged innocent Bearing in mind the legal presumption of stolen items being in the possession of someone after the stealing incident.

1 Like

Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by Luckysbab: 12:05am On Jul 06, 2023
PlayMaker14:
You created this profile just for attacking any news about Obi....

Did you caught him drilling your mom? Or you have deep hatred for him?

Why exactly is he supposed like your Obi any less than you hate his Tinubu? Majority of you are pathetic dullards.
Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by Luckysbab: 12:08am On Jul 06, 2023
Favourchris:
Funny how same people who are supporting and defending Tinubu allegations and fraud are the one accusing some one of forging jamb result

Even after the girl has admitted to parading a fake result? You folks are terrible.
Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by Luckysbab: 12:13am On Jul 06, 2023
AskNgige2:

A judge who is a family friend told us that the judges would have loved to help Tinibu but the evidence against him is surplus...

It's like when u accidentally killed one person and when u killed 10 people..

D matter chock then for neck

Chestbeating liars with their folktales. I'm sure your village people believe this nonsense you typed though. Olodo cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by Luckysbab: 12:22am On Jul 06, 2023
Emusan:

American court did and the reason for the forfeited of that huge amount.

What business was he doing when he is also working with a company?

Many of you will just try to defend without looking at the statement critically.

What sort of foolish question is this, for God's sake? So you suddenly have memory loss as to the term "side hustle"?

This is pathetic!
Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by Luckysbab: 4:07am On Jul 06, 2023
1stGenAmerican:

Tinubu isnโ€™t my president and he doesnโ€™t have any affect on me but youโ€™re not far off at all.
This began as a Judicial Forfeiture stemming from Criminal Charges which were filed against him. In order for the money to be successfully taken, the prosecution and DEA proved that the money was derived from drug trafficking. The interesting part is that most Americans fight against forfeiture and even though it can take years, it is not unusual for them to win. Contesting a forfeiture is pretty easy but Tinubu did not contest the forfeiture at allโ€”he agreed to it in lieu of a conviction. Another interesting thing is that he filed to have his arrest and everything else expunged from his record and the expungement was granted which is one reason why only the details of the forfeiture are easily available.

If you agree to a forfeiture, youโ€™re basically admitting that the money was derived as a result of crime.

Conjectures. If you agree to a forfeiture, it could also mean you did a cost-benefit analysis and decided it wasn't worth all the time and trouble contesting the forfeiture, especially if the consequences won't be landing you in penury.
Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by GeneralDae: 5:53am On Jul 06, 2023
Arewagang:

I'm not against the person in the eyes of the storm. As a matter of facts, I lost faith in the political leadership of this Country a very long time ago. But we must learn to call a spade by what it is.
Now, in response to your querry on my second assertion, how do you prove your innocence when for instance, you're accused of wrongdoing? Is it by doing an acts which, in itself appears more suggestive of your implied admittance of the alleged wrongdoing
Asumming you were driving in your car and you drove into a petrol station to upment your tank, and while you were at the station to buy fuel for the car, someone came out and demanded that you hand him the keys of the car that the car belongs to him, will you hand the person your car keys as a way of proving your innocence that the car is yours and that you didn't steal it
Or will you, assuming you had bought that your car with 5 million Naira, now say okay, you will forfeit 2 million Naira for instance, to that person laying claim to your as a way of proving your innocence over the allegation of car theft
You are missing the point. Bola Tinubu did receive money from a drug dealer. He admitted receiving 8 thousand dollars at first, out of which he bought a car and then 80,000 dollars. The issue here is was he a drug dealer or was used by the drug ring for money laundering without his knowledge? The person here was a close family friend living in America while Tinubu worked in Mobil Nigeria. So while he saved money for the person by opening a business account for investment, Tinubu was given some laudable cash as well.

If he was used for money laundering, and the sums are huge, by American anti money laundering law from drug dealings, he must forfeit whether he was aware of it or not.

With huge sums, they must forfeit not more than 500,000 dollars.

If he was part of the drug ring and this was proven, then he becomes the defendant (and not just his account).

In that case, he doesn't just forfeit but goes to jail.
Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by Shantyken(m): 6:27am On Jul 06, 2023
GeneralDae:

That one just came up with his/her own story from nowhere. A case that has been out there in the open and investigated by PDP since 1999 when Tinubu contested for Governorship.
My brother hmmm, the thing surprised me oo. Since 1999 I never hear anything like expungement even PO she is supporting in disguise no fit talk wetin she dey talk.

And since 1999 USA can't say this man stand trail, he was convicted and sentenced but say we forfeit the money in lieu of the jail sentence as punishment. Tinubu enemies go dey here dey interpret, analyze laws of a country they so much hate
Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by Ifogift007: 7:03am On Jul 06, 2023
We're is tinubu slave Yarimo you won't see him here
Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by Huw(m): 7:30am On Jul 06, 2023
1stGenAmerican:

If his records were sealed or expunged, how would the FBI or any other agency have been able to answer to an inquiry for his criminal records?
Research expungement and sealing of records.

Any idea what the conditions for the expungement of his record were?
Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by Nakedtruths: 7:33am On Jul 06, 2023
Shantyken:

My brother hmmm, the thing surprised me oo. Since 1999 I never hear anything like expungement even PO she is supporting in disguise no fit talk wetin she dey talk.

And since 1999 USA can't say this man stand trail, he was convicted and sentenced but say we forfeit the money in lieu of the jail sentence as punishment. Tinubu enemies go dey here dey interpret, analyze laws of a country they so much hate
Let me just tel youl something, according to the interpretation of forfeiture given by the supreme court by Olukayode Ariwoola, the current Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), while serving as a Supreme Court justice, declared that forfeiture means โ€œthe loss of a right, privilege or property because of a crimeโ€.
What labour party lawyers needed to prove is that there was a forfeiture, and bamidele helped them prove it beyond all reasonable doubt yesterday

1 Like

Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by Kelvin30286063(m): 7:41am On Jul 06, 2023
001Lagos:

So the $460,000 forfeited by Tinubu is for what if not drug?
The law will confuse you my brother. If he was never charged or sentenced and the case is not pending. There is no case. That's the law and it's that simple.
Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by onuman: 8:41am On Jul 06, 2023
Pointnoire:
Stop misinterpreting and saying what you don't know; Jury members are invited from the public, not from law enforcement. Also, disqualification can only come from a criminal conviction and not a civil case; the civil justice system in America does not attempt to determine the innocence or guilt of an offender, so the forfeiture case was a result of naro money traced to an account linked to Tinubu and unless a judge grants expunging a record it remains for as long as records are required to be kept

Stop writing what you have no deep knowledge of.
And where did you read me write that criminal records of Tinubu were expunged?
Constituting a jury system varies from country to country.
Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by GeneralDae: 8:44am On Jul 06, 2023
Nakedtruths:

Let me just tel youl something, according to the interpretation of forfeiture given by the supreme court by Olukayode Ariwoola, the current Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), while serving as a Supreme Court justice, declared that forfeiture means โ€œthe loss of a right, privilege or property because of a crimeโ€.
What labour party lawyers needed to prove is that there was a forfeiture, and bamidele helped them prove it beyond all reasonable doubt yesterday
Chief Justice of Nigeria speaks in terms of Nigerian law based on the Nigerian case he was judging.
The Tinubu case was an American case where the laws on forfeiture are either criminal or civil (which is not the case in Nigeria).
Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by pmatempire1: 11:02am On Jul 06, 2023
ok

Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by Robchuks77(m): 11:56am On Jul 06, 2023
GeneralPula:
Bamidele, who is the immediate past Chairman of the Senate Committee on Judiciary and a registered member of the American Bar Association, said there was no conviction and sentence against Tinubu as required by law for it to be turned to criminal charges.

Case solved!
๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚.. Is he the judge. Na for ur Ogogoro joint dem dey always dy gv verdict.. ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚
Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by Robchuks77(m): 11:57am On Jul 06, 2023
GeneralDae:

Chief Justice of Nigeria speaks in terms of Nigerian law based on the Nigerian case he was judging.
The Tinubu case was an American case where the laws on forfeiture are either criminal or civil (which is not the case in Nigeria).
Why is there an extradition law.??..
Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by Robchuks77(m): 11:58am On Jul 06, 2023
Nakedtruths:

U be real bald truth
Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by Mikebenson4: 11:59am On Jul 06, 2023
God will help us in this country
Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by Robchuks77(m): 12:00pm On Jul 06, 2023
Novarisammy2:

how about the other report from people gazette where he admitted that the forfeiture was linked to drugs ?

abi u didn't see that one
Ask him the meaning of forfeiture.. And what it takes for one to forfeit something.

For one to fortfeit. It means I are found guilty. I choose forfeiture to jial term.

But there agbado brain dey always leak oil.. They don't comprehend

1 Like

Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by swaggerjack: 1:15pm On Jul 06, 2023
001Lagos:

Tinubu useless and foolish supporters will call Mr bamidele "Odale" now ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
You have to a Yaba Left patient to defend the former CHICAGO DRUG BARON.

Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by GeneralDae: 2:39pm On Jul 06, 2023
Robchuks77:

Ask him the meaning of forfeiture.. And what it takes for one to forfeit something.

For one to fortfeit. It means I are found guilty. I choose forfeiture to jial term.

But there agbado brain dey always leak oil.. They don't comprehend
This is what civil forfeiture means:

Re: Forfeited $460,000 Was A Civil Matter: Tinubu's Witness, Bamidele Tells Tribunal by Robchuks77(m): 4:10pm On Jul 06, 2023
GeneralDae:

This is what civil forfeiture means:
The last sentence is good to go..
Let me ask you.. Is drug case a civil case.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Ngozi Okonjo-Iwealaโ€™s Battle With Cancer - TheCapital.ng / IPOB Reacts To Arrest Of Udubuan Sage Chubueze / Ike Ihia Offers To Pay Peter Obi's Monthly Twitter Subscriptions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.