Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,310 members, 7,811,920 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:42 PM

Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? (8923 Views)

How To Buy Things On Aliexpress From Nigeria - A Step-by-step Guide / Nigerian Traders In Ghana Turn Beggars Over Locked Up Shops – NUTAG / Nigerian Traders' Shops Closed In Ghana As They Cry Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by thesilentman(m): 8:26am On Jul 08, 2023
My father told me that when he was a shop-keeper in Jos in the 70s,they used to have the credit and the cash department.You could walk into many stores at any given time and buy things on credit and the shop-keepers would sell to you with the same enthusiasm as with cash buyers.
Nigerians don't take credit purchases on a friendly note.Most shops have signs that says "No credit today,come tomorrow!".Whereas credit is normal thing elsewhere.This issue is even particular to yoruba people who says that they have not had their first sale and it's rather too early in the morning.
Is it our economy system?
PS: I don't buy things on credit o.Just my observation.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by Cassandraloius: 8:39am On Jul 08, 2023
Nigerians dey overdo, the last time I gave someone something on credit, on the 6th of June 2022, these are products worth of 5k. She has been avoiding me and up till this very moment, she has been giving me one story, that she's still gathering the money. Be honest would you continue?
Anyone that is coming to buy something on credit from me, automatically wants my downfall, buying something on credit is a BIG NO for me.

Kindly check my signature. Thank you ♥️

84 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by ChybuzzDD(m): 8:48am On Jul 08, 2023
thesilentman:
My father told me that when he was a shop-keeper in Jos in the 70s,they used to have the credit and the cash department.You could walk into many stores at any given time and buy things on credit and the shop-keepers would sell to you with the same enthusiasm as with cash buyers.
Nigerians don't take credit purchases on a friendly note.Most shops have signs that says "No credit today,come tomorrow!".Whereas credit is normal thing elsewhere.This issue is even particular to yoruba people who says that they have not had their first sale and it's rather too early in the morning.
Is it our economy system?
PS: I don't buy things on credit o.Just my observation.

This shouldn't surprise you if you know Nigerians of today very well.

A trial will convince you, if you have your own shop.

60 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by thesilentman(m): 9:49am On Jul 08, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

This shouldn't surprise you if you know Nigerians of today very well.

A trial will convince you, if you have your own shop.
You are absolutely right! A lot of Nigerians are not credit-worthy at all.I believe that's one of the major reasons.

24 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by Foodqueen(f): 9:53am On Jul 08, 2023
To buy credit is easy, to pay back is a big problem to so many people.

When u sell credit to people that u will normally see everyday, they will change their route, and u won't get to see them again till u go to their house or jam them on the road.

I can't give example, my eye don see shege.

83 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by thesilentman(m): 9:54am On Jul 08, 2023
Cassandraloius:
Nigerians dey overdo, the last time I gave someone something on credit, on the 6th of June 2022, these are products worth of 5k. She has been avoiding me and up till this very moment, she has been giving me one story, that she's still gathering the money. Be honest would you continue?
Anyone that is coming to buy something on credit from me, automatically wants my downfall, buying something on credit is a BIG NO for me.

Kindly check my signature. Thank you ♥️
That's just it.Some will even defend themselves by saying that even Nigeria is owing,lol.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by jmoore(m): 10:02am On Jul 08, 2023
They give credit but you have to come tomorrow to benefit from the credit.

16 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by thesilentman(m): 10:03am On Jul 08, 2023
Foodqueen:

When u sell credit to people that u will normally see everyday, they will change their route, and u won't get to see them again till u go to their house or jam them on the road.

Eya...and some will even call you bad person and start snobbing you afterwards.Now i get it.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by ikeno(m): 10:52am On Jul 08, 2023
Nigerians can't be trusted to pay back credit they owe rather they will be going to another shop all because they don't want to pay back.

Few day ago,a guy came to my place of business and begged my boys to play some games for him on credit that he should stake the games 10k and 5k cause the matches will soon start and his atm is not with he want to go and it. That was the last time we saw him.he has been avoiding my boys and has being going to other place to stake.
I never reason him matter, make I still dey give am long rope because I go use police take treat him fuckup. Just 2day for cell dey ok for me.

9 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by Foodqueen(f): 11:09am On Jul 08, 2023
ikeno:
Nigerians can't be trusted to pay back credit they owe rather they will be going to another shop all because they don't want to pay back.

Few day ago,a guy came to my place of business and begged my boys to play some games for him on credit that he should stake the games 10k and 5k cause the matches will soon start and his atm is not with he want to go and it. That was the last time we saw him.he has been avoiding my boys and has being going to other place to stake.
I never reason him matter, make I still dey give am long rope because I go use police take treat him fuckup. Just 2day for cell dey ok for me.

Y would u allow credit on betting. People that buy food they eat sef, find it difficult to pay back talk more of someone gambling.

39 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by ikeno(m): 12:34pm On Jul 08, 2023
Foodqueen:

Y would u allow credit on betting. People that buy food they eat sef, find it difficult to pay back talk more of someone gambling.
He's kind of a regular customer who stakes high.
My boy has that notion that he will pay as promised till now he has gone with the wind and I don't want to deduct it from his salary. But I just gave them a stern warning.

14 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by NoToPile: 12:37pm On Jul 08, 2023
God forbid bad thing, you want to sell on credit to Nigerians who are bad debtors?

People that will borrow from loan app refuse to pay and defend it?

Only customers who have been tested and trusted should be sold to on credit pls, even this you should be very careful.

24 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by thesilentman(m): 1:48pm On Jul 08, 2023
NoToPile:
God forbid bad thing, you want to sell on credit to Nigerians who are bad debtors?

People that will borrow from loan app refuse to pay and defend it?

Only customers who have been tested and trusted should be sold to on credit pls, even this you should be very careful.
sho... I didn't until know that this issue is as serious as this o.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by AfroKnight: 2:09pm On Jul 08, 2023
Sell your goods on credit. You’ll find out.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by Kobicove(m): 2:16pm On Jul 08, 2023
Foodqueen:

Nigerians are terrible people where money is concerned! angry

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by NoToPile: 2:21pm On Jul 08, 2023
thesilentman:

sho... I didn't until know that this issue is as serious as this o.

It's more serious than that, Only a Nigerian will feel offended when you ask for money you are owed. You will hear is it not just 1000. You might even get insulted on your own money if you are not careful.

We have a very terrible entitlement mentality.

16 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by Nazgul: 5:16pm On Jul 08, 2023
Lol... unless you want your business to fold up, it's not wise to include credit as a means of payment in your business.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by Kemadealadire(f): 5:28pm On Jul 08, 2023
Lol, are you seriously asking

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by thesilentman(m): 8:08pm On Jul 08, 2023
AfroKnight:
Sell your goods on credit. You’ll find out.
Ah ah!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by Cassandraloius: 8:09am On Jul 09, 2023
thesilentman:

That's just it.Some will even defend themselves by saying that even Nigeria is owing,lol.

Honestly bro, anything credit I don't welcome it.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by brain54(m): 11:02am On Jul 09, 2023
No credit today…

Come tomorrow. And tomorrow, tomorrow shall never end. grin

I borrowed someone money recently. Small money I felt I could forfeit if he didn’t meet up. Besides, it was someone I am soposed to do a business transaction with by September later this year that involves a very large volume of cash.

So I decided to myself to even test him to see how trustworthy he is with cash. So I sent/borrowed him the small amount of cash.

Immediately money entered his account this guy stopped calling me. He did not even call back to confirm receiving the cash. After some days I called and that was when he confirmed receiving the cash.

When it past the time he gave to pay back I called- oga didn’t pick his call.

For over 3 months after due date dude did not pick call. Did not return call either- even if it was to ask that I extend the payment period. I just wanted to hear an explanation from him- no matter how stupid.

Dude was so nonchalant about the whole thing. Someone that when he was begging to be borrowed money will call every day.

His attitude got me pissed and the money I felt I could forfeit I decided not to let it go.

I had to call his boss and colleagues at his work place to report him. And dropped a message that wasn’t nice.

3 days later he called me to send my account number. I sent and he paid the money.

I got the alert and he called back- maybe to ask if I had seen the alert I didn’t even mind him again to pick his call. I felt disappointed.

To collect credit/borrow is easy… to pay back wahala.

I will never do anything with him again that involves money.

Sometimes when you sell on credit or borrow money as in my case, to get the money back is tough. It might even result in quarrels or insults.

When you demand for your own money the creditor might say something like ‘ is it because of so-and-so amount you are embarrassing me” “even Nigeria Dey owe debt “

Forgetting when they were in need!

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by hakeemhakeem(m): 8:51pm On Jul 09, 2023
Op you can be the good guy get a shop stock and start selling on credit for experiment let see probably others seller aren't human

13 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by Caramia2020(m): 10:38pm On Jul 09, 2023
It's the beginning of folding up

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by JeffreyJunior: 1:14am On Jul 10, 2023
Same reason ATM frowns at you when you insist on inserting your card knowing fully well na only 1k dey your akant. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by MuslimIgbo: 12:10pm On Jul 10, 2023
grin

VERY FOOLISH QUESTION

It's like asking why are you usually unhappy whenever you're broke grin grin grin

Sell on credit to the kind of people that will beg you for a loan and when it's time to pay back, you become an enemy.

Sell on credit to people who would borrow money from loanshark and refuse to payback. See how Palm credits and others have been embarrassing people here and there.

PEOPLE ARE VERY WICKED, SELFISH AND SHAMELESS IN THIS COUNTRY.
I HAVE BEEN TAUGHT A VERY HARD LESSON NOT TO BORROW PEOPLE MONEY AGAIN.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by bigdammyj: 12:11pm On Jul 10, 2023
Because you will not pay as at when due.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by Dozie32(m): 12:11pm On Jul 10, 2023
Who go de happy say him or her de sell things on credit? Don't yoy know that credit kills business?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by Zimzy(m): 12:12pm On Jul 10, 2023
Yes. Because most Nigerians are not credit worthy. Give them on credit today you will see them the next day buying that same item with cash from someone else who would hardly give them anything on credit, and at this point they will keep dodging from you.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by clockwisereport: 12:12pm On Jul 10, 2023
We are not trustworthy

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by BOOKWORMLUX(m): 12:14pm On Jul 10, 2023
Is it people that are owing palmpay you want to give things on credit?

It always end in tears

Your business won't go far if you continue to give things on credit.
An average Nigerian won't pay that amount he's owing

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by marlow1962(m): 12:14pm On Jul 10, 2023
Lol
Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by flexyrule(m): 12:15pm On Jul 10, 2023
Okay

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Should Pure Water Be Banned? / Free Whatsapp Marketing Tutorials And Tools to make money / SCAM ALERT!!!! ELORIDE aka Chibuzor Eze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.