Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,828 members, 7,813,747 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:37 PM

Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary (45268 Views)

I Finished My Salary Before 24hrs (picture) / My Salary Has Finished / Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by OkwuMajesty: 7:37pm On Jul 09, 2023
There are two reasons why they don’t tell their salaries:

In general case, if you tell your salary to your co-workers or friends, they can develop two kinds of feelings:

Feeling of Jealousy, or

Feeling of Competition.

Either of which can turn bad against you. You may notice change in their behaviour. In many cases, your co-worker having more experienced than you (getting less salary) can start judging your skills w.r.t. themselves.

In worst cases, they can start questioning your credibility for the position you work or even start tarnishing your image.

Some people feel bad about themselves after knowing your salary and in many cases they try to find ways to increase their salaries too, either by switching or using your salary reference to get hike.

Managers often get to hear these during hikes, “If he (teammate) gets that much, why I cant get more having more experience”. Teammates can develop a feeling that you should be doing more work as you are paid more.

People start judging your lifestyle based on your salary. They never care about your liabilities.

You can become a bank for some of your friends. You may have to lend money every month. The moment you stop lending money, your friends will start calculating your monthly expenditure and begin assuming that you might be having money but you don't want to lend. This will develop negativity.

What do you think?

129 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by Englishisamust: 8:49pm On Jul 09, 2023
undecided undecided undecided. Where unaa dey see work??

148 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by PapaNnamdi: 9:27pm On Jul 09, 2023
people still de see work, ??

109 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by Karlifate: 4:33am On Jul 10, 2023
Entitlement mentality.

👌

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by Highways: 5:53am On Jul 10, 2023
There's no reason... It's privacy

31 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by wisdomkid: 8:14am On Jul 10, 2023
No one should force another to tell them their salaries, it's private, which is why companies and businesses don't make it public knowledge. What's the use of knowing someone's else salary, or telling another your salary?

To ridicule or feel competitive?

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by juman(m): 8:21am On Jul 10, 2023
Avoid telling others detail of your expenses. You might be saving much more money than your mates.

Also in life to get good money, you need to do some extra work.
So by telling your work mates how much you earn including money from extra work, is like you are digging your grave.

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by Tohsynetita1: 9:02am On Jul 10, 2023
the same way you would behave if you were them.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by kemiomobomi: 11:06am On Jul 10, 2023
How much is your salary

6 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by otipoju(m): 11:29am On Jul 10, 2023
Englishisamust:
undecided undecided undecided. Where unaa dey see work??

What skills do you have that stand you out from the average person. Go and add value to yourself and na work go dey look for you. Work full everywhere.

I get close to 15 soliticitions from different recruiters every blessed month. I no dey even read them self talk less of respond.

Because I am now highly skilled and have top notch certifications in my proffesion to back it up. Once upon a time na rejection email upon rejection email

Go and develop yourself bro. The cold hard truth is that the corporate world will demand for you based solely on the perceived value that you are capable of adding to an enterprise. This is business and not "love in Tokyo".Nobody send your papa

31 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by ravensckar(m): 11:51am On Jul 10, 2023
wisdomkid:
No one should force another to tell them their salaries, it's private, which is why companies and businesses don't make it public knowledge. What's the use of knowing someone's else salary, or telling another your salary?

To ridicule or feel competitive?
Telling your colleagues about your salary is a far lesser evil than telling your family members (even your parents & blood relatives). Them go use billing kill your life. I once made that foolish mistake of revealing my salary to my family (all in the name of sharing testimony), throughout that year, my life didn't remain the same. Despite giving them monthly allowance, they will still find ways to exploit me of the rest. Since then, I come get sense. Now, they don't bother to call me for anything other than their monthly allowance unless of course they want to waste their credit. cheesy cheesy

108 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by OkwuMajesty: 12:38pm On Jul 10, 2023
ravensckar:
Telling your colleagues about your salary is a far lesser evil than telling your family members (even your parents & blood relatives). Them go use billing kill your life. I once made that foolish mistake of revealing my salary to my family (all in the name of sharing testimony), throughout that year, my life didn't remain the same. Despite giving them monthly allowance, they will still find ways to exploit me of the rest. Since then, I come get sense. Now, they don't bother to call me for anything other than their monthly allowance unless of course they want to waste their credit. cheesy cheesy
😂

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by nomeer: 2:26pm On Jul 10, 2023
People talking about salaries when I never get work for 3 years now. May God help man 🙏

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by ShenTeh(m): 2:26pm On Jul 10, 2023
Why would you be telling others your salary?

Growing up, my mum would show us her pv, and we knew to the kobo what she was going to earn even before she earned it. While this elicited emotions for me, it also lowered my expectations from her, made me to begin to think how to augment the family's income, other members of the family got creative in how to rip her.

Even close family, your salary should be your sole business.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by hisexcellency34: 2:26pm On Jul 10, 2023
Who cares about your peanut salary
Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by Angelfrost(m): 2:26pm On Jul 10, 2023
Op... Your finance should solely be the business of you and your account officer, followed by your spouse (if you are married)! Even Achraf Hakimi knew better than share this with his better half and for clearly good reason!

I am one of the few Nigerians whose financial status will never be blown open for any reason!

Succeed in secret... The only things outsiders should see are your hard work and sweat!

This is why every young man and woman ought to read "48 Laws of Power" by Robert Greene!

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by AntiChristian: 2:27pm On Jul 10, 2023
hisexcellency34:
Who cares about your peanut salary

Ogbeni na fight?

I will tell everyone once it reaches 1,000,000 Kuwaiti Dinar per month!

8 Likes

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by nazicartel(m): 2:28pm On Jul 10, 2023
Y
Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by obonujoker(m): 2:29pm On Jul 10, 2023
Don't tell anyone your Salary

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by HoneyBee23(f): 2:29pm On Jul 10, 2023
Nbg5
Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by helinues: 2:29pm On Jul 10, 2023
grin

Ones financial aspect of life should be something personal

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jul 10, 2023
Angelfrost:
Op... Your finance should solely be the business of you and your account officer, followed by your spouse (if you are married)!

Thank you for making emphasis on married

Because some mumu boys will tell their girlfriend their salary and be wondering why they are billing with so much audacity.

Even some married men still dont disclose their salary to their wives before their true colour will show

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by EriMma1: 2:30pm On Jul 10, 2023
I disclose my salary and I don't care. Who wan die make e die. Who wan compete, for your pocket; you're not feeding me., so I care less whether you're earning higher as long as I'm satisfied and contented with mine.

By the way, I've experienced that a lot where after disclosing my income, their expectations of me became high and they began to expect me to live a certain lifestyle to the extent someone said I'm supposed to go rent an apartment in lekki that I'm here dragging mainland with them. She dey use am yab me but I just ignored and avoided her. Though I wasn't the one who disclosed my income to this monkey of a woman..she just sized me up with the level wey I dey pull come deduce say e be like say I hole small change o. Na so beefing start.

In all, I don kia!

15 Likes

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by Davidwaa01: 2:30pm On Jul 10, 2023
Wahala

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by MechanicMike: 2:31pm On Jul 10, 2023
OkwuMajesty:

In general case, if you tell your salary to your co-workers or friends, they can develop two kinds of feelings:

Feeling of Jealousy, or

Feeling of Competition.

Either of which can turn bad against you. You may notice change in their behaviour. In many cases, your co-worker having more experienced than you (getting less salary) can start judging your skills w.r.t. themselves.

In worst cases, they can start questioning your credibility for the position you work or even start tarnishing your image.

Some people feel bad about themselves after knowing your salary and in many cases they try to find ways to increase their salaries too, either by switching or using your salary reference to get hike.

Managers often get to hear these during hikes, “If he (teammate) gets that much, why I cant get more having more experience”. Teammates can develop a feeling that you should be doing more work as you are paid more.

People start judging your lifestyle based on your salary. They never care about your liabilities.

You can become a bank for some of your friends. You may have to lend money every month. The moment you stop lending money, your friends will start calculating your monthly expenditure and begin assuming that you might be having money but you don't want to lend. This will develop negativity.

What do you think?

angry
Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by ideatoprince18(m): 2:31pm On Jul 10, 2023
Cg
Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by Jpblessed(m): 2:31pm On Jul 10, 2023
It depends on where you work, because i know with payslips there is no secrecy about what one earns.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by Haveyoueatentod: 2:32pm On Jul 10, 2023
I remember the secondary school I once worked in, the other teachers almost killed me for earning 12k while they were earning 9k I left them after hearing so many evil things they planned from the students now I'm in the federal herd I barely see these things grin grin

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by MechanicMike: 2:32pm On Jul 10, 2023
OkwuMajesty:

Feeling of Jealousy, or

Feeling of Competition.

What do you think?

Bro..did someone theif Yor woman becuzz Yor salary is low ?...and is he a chief sir(no oofencse) angry

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by YorubaPrince: 2:32pm On Jul 10, 2023
embarassed

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

He Is Crippled But Works As A Cobbler: Very Inspiring (photo) / Nigerian Chief Turns Down Award In South Africa Because Of Xenophobia(photo) / Nigerians Qualify As UK Launches Scale-up Visa For Skilled Workers - Engineers ,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.