Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,893 members, 7,821,122 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:33 AM

Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary (45292 Views)

I Finished My Salary Before 24hrs (picture) / My Salary Has Finished / Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by goldencomets: 3:35pm On Jul 10, 2023
Deicide:
Why would you be earning more that your colleagues that probably has more experience than you? And if it's the same position shouldn't the salary be equal?

It’s not always like that o. In the corporate world it’s about your negotiation skill and experience. I have colleagues that do more work than me but I earn more because of my experience and negotiation skills.

Na entry level and interns work pass sef. But experience is always superior.

Na government work Dey pay based on level.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by fantastic1: 3:41pm On Jul 10, 2023
Karlifate:
Entitlement mentality.

👌

This is not about entitlement. Did you just learn the word?
Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by kkash: 3:43pm On Jul 10, 2023
Emma1Oj:
guy work dey nau..!!! I dump one on the 26th of last month due to too much gossip, eye service and competition among co- workers. From 26th June to today 2 coy have contacted me for a job. Though I have 5 profession I can work in. Event Coordinator, warehousing, supply chain, inventory, logistics. I have two cv. One for event the other one for logistics operations.

So jus acquire more skill and start doing your shakara.

True.....Ever since the Japa period der has been shortages of engineers....
Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by MrBroke(m): 3:44pm On Jul 10, 2023
Reason am MrBroke

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by untoldtruth: 3:55pm On Jul 10, 2023
Angelfrost:
Op... Your finance should solely be the business of you and your account officer, followed by your spouse (if you are married)! Even Achraf Hakimi knew better than share this with his better half and for clearly good reason!

I am one of the few Nigerians whose financial status will never be blown open for any reason!

Succeed in secret... The only things outsiders should see are your hard work and sweat!

This is why every young man and woman ought to read "48 Laws of Power" by Robert Greene!
People need to avoid that book. Like the author says 'No law in the book is an absolute fact and can change anytime.' that book just teaches ppl how to manipulate gullible and naive ppl (making the manipulators think they're macho when they're Barbie in a skirt on play grounds with the real bosses)

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by Oova(m): 4:01pm On Jul 10, 2023
Is it his fault that anybody is paid less? After all, you also came to this place the same way I came and you were told your salary, didn't you agree? Now I didn't agree and it was increased, if you later know about my salary increases how should you be pained, you accepted it nauuu. I have worked in a place before where I was working more than I was paid coupled with my salary not paid on time. Funnily enough the person who didn't work up to what I did is getting paid without delay in the salary, I knew all this and didn't bulge, I just continued working, the manager later called me and explained while it was so even without me asking.

In conclusion, even if it was me, I won't do anything, salary is based in agreement.
MarrisManah:
You only talked based on one scenario: the person telling is assumed to earn more. What of the case when the person telling, earn less...? What becomes the reaction of the person that was told? Pity? Superior? Indifferent? Anyone's guess.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by PotatoSalad(m): 4:03pm On Jul 10, 2023
Lol I can relate. I remember seeking the opinion of a friend about some new equipment we wanted to get for the office. Instead of this person to tell me what they thought, they started comparing the amount we were going to spend.
Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by newfhace(m): 4:24pm On Jul 10, 2023
OkwuMajesty:
There are two reasons why they don’t tell their salaries:

In general case, if you tell your salary to your co-workers or friends, they can develop two kinds of feelings:

Feeling of Jealousy, or

Feeling of Competition.

Either of which can turn bad against you. You may notice change in their behaviour. In many cases, your co-worker having more experienced than you (getting less salary) can start judging your skills w.r.t. themselves.

In worst cases, they can start questioning your credibility for the position you work or even start tarnishing your image.

Some people feel bad about themselves after knowing your salary and in many cases they try to find ways to increase their salaries too, either by switching or using your salary reference to get hike.

Managers often get to hear these during hikes, “If he (teammate) gets that much, why I cant get more having more experience”. Teammates can develop a feeling that you should be doing more work as you are paid more.

People start judging your lifestyle based on your salary. They never care about your liabilities.

You can become a bank for some of your friends. You may have to lend money every month. The moment you stop lending money, your friends will start calculating your monthly expenditure and begin assuming that you might be having money but you don't want to lend. This will develop negativity.

What do you think?
Baba I don experience this thing before in my previous place of employment,as a new employee wey I be na and I come be novice for that sector that time one of the old staff I met there was asking me series of questions and one thing led to another enter salary matter and I told him what I was earning before you know baba start to dey para say me and him dey earn the same salary and he has been in the organisation for more than a decade, work join us together one day I ask baba some questions since him get experience for the field pass me the next thing wey baba go yarn be say shey be we Dey earn the same salary i supposed know the thing na, I come later know him mumu button say na respect anywhere I see baba I dey prostrate give am all the little choppings wey dey I leave am for am to chop na so baba become my paddy all wetin I sabi for that place na baba later teach me then me i come dey give am latest update since him na old-school method he dey use if anybody offend baba before you know him don come report the person to me.
Even as I leave the place baba dey call me make i find slot for am for my new place of employment.
since then I dey always form deaf when my fellow colleague ask me my salary

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by bluefilm: 4:32pm On Jul 10, 2023
hisexcellency34:
Who cares about your peanut salary

I wonder o

Swissli:
Apart From Your Wife, Never Reveal Your Salary To Anyone

Point of correction.

It should be: Starting from your wife...
Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by achimendy(m): 4:38pm On Jul 10, 2023
Englishisamust:
undecided undecided undecided. Where unaa dey see work??

You're 100% correct on this one 👍

It happens alot.
Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by achimendy(m): 4:39pm On Jul 10, 2023
OkwuMajesty:

In general case, if you tell your salary to your co-workers or friends, they can develop two kinds of feelings:

Feeling of Jealousy, or

Feeling of Competition.

Either of which can turn bad against you. You may notice change in their behaviour. In many cases, your co-worker having more experienced than you (getting less salary) can start judging your skills w.r.t. themselves.

In worst cases, they can start questioning your credibility for the position you work or even start tarnishing your image.

Some people feel bad about themselves after knowing your salary and in many cases they try to find ways to increase their salaries too, either by switching or using your salary reference to get hike.

Managers often get to hear these during hikes, “If he (teammate) gets that much, why I cant get more having more experience”. Teammates can develop a feeling that you should be doing more work as you are paid more.

People start judging your lifestyle based on your salary. They never care about your liabilities.

You can become a bank for some of your friends. You may have to lend money every month. The moment you stop lending money, your friends will start calculating your monthly expenditure and begin assuming that you might be having money but you don't want to lend. This will develop negativity.

What do you think?

You're 100% correct on this one 👍

It happens alot.
Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by HoneySwag(f): 4:39pm On Jul 10, 2023
What are we discussing that will lead to you asking me my salary? 🤨
Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by Allisgud: 4:40pm On Jul 10, 2023
Accurately correct.mostly the everyone will like to push more work on u,u did not add they will like to borrow from u when they realize u are not married yet

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by Solowande(m): 4:42pm On Jul 10, 2023
I don't tell people my salary because it's not their fuckin business

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by AgentGoat: 4:44pm On Jul 10, 2023
PrimadonnaO:

LMAO 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

My siblings know my salary.

I have a very dear friend who always knows my salary,
from my first job ever till date .

Hasn't ever changed a thing.

I should count myself lucky, then.

It's because they are responsible folks. If not, my brother you go regret am.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by Allisgud: 4:47pm On Jul 10, 2023
It is not even ok to tell ur wife how much u earn,even if she knows don't tell her when u are promoted and salary upgrade
Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by Voiceofthestree: 4:59pm On Jul 10, 2023
AntiChristian:

Ogbeni na fight?

I will tell everyone once it reaches 1,000,000 Kuwaiti Dollars per month!

I beg share Kuwait update nah

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by Voiceofthestree: 5:03pm On Jul 10, 2023
Someone should please give me a job I stay in Benin
Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by isabi2lof: 5:23pm On Jul 10, 2023
I experienced this from the old staff in my organization.. the truth is that our employment entry was different ..
Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by Angelfrost(m): 5:24pm On Jul 10, 2023
untoldtruth:

People need to avoid that book. Like the author says 'No law in the book is an absolute fact and can change anytime.' that book just teaches ppl how to manipulate gullible and naive ppl (making the manipulators think they're macho when they're Barbie in a skirt on play grounds with the real bosses)

There is no infallible book written by man... None!

The book is highly resourceful, and the lessons there are invaluable in life and business!

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by Josephkabila12: 5:48pm On Jul 10, 2023
No be lie
Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by providencia(m): 5:55pm On Jul 10, 2023
PapaNnamdi:
people still de see work, ??
grin grin
Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by bukatyne(f): 6:01pm On Jul 10, 2023
Stevosty:
You can't be in a team and be paid more than others when you are not a leader, and there is possibility you are doing less work, it's like one of the managers is related to you, and that is bad management and can kill the organisation.

@ your whole post especially the bold:

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by Kobicove(m): 6:18pm On Jul 10, 2023
Swissli:
Apart From Your Wife, Never Reveal Your Salary To Anyone

Even your wife sef should not know grin
Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by Kobicove(m): 6:26pm On Jul 10, 2023
newfhace:

Baba I don experience this thing before in my previous place of employment,as a new employee wey I be na and I come be novice for that sector that time one of the old staff I met there was asking me series of questions and one thing led to another enter salary matter and I told him what I was earning before you know baba start to dey para say me and him dey earn the same salary and he has been in the organisation for more than a decade, work join us together one day I ask baba some questions since him get experience for the field pass me the next thing wey baba go yarn be say shey be we Dey earn the same salary i supposed know the thing na, I come later know him mumu button say na respect anywhere I see baba I dey prostrate give am all the little choppings wey dey I leave am for am to chop na so baba become my paddy all wetin I sabi for that place na baba later teach me then me i come dey give am latest update since him na old-school method he dey use if anybody offend baba before you know him don come report the person to me.
Even as I leave the place baba dey call me make i find slot for am for my new place of employment.

grin

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by IamtheTruth1(m): 6:29pm On Jul 10, 2023
OkwuMajesty:

Feeling of Jealousy, or

Feeling of Competition.

What do you think?

Well said.
Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by goldencomets: 6:31pm On Jul 10, 2023
newfhace:

You really handled him with wisdom.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by EBEk101(m): 6:54pm On Jul 10, 2023
When I first move in to Lagos, I had to share an apartment with a friend, when d guy discovered I was earning more than him, his attitude change to the extent I felt like would go juju on me.
he told me openly from a minor misunderstanding that I did something for money
Nah so I just move out leave the house for am
Don’t ever let anyone know how much u earn, live your life on the low…. Too many wicked souls out there

4 Likes

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by KingLion007(m): 7:16pm On Jul 10, 2023
Exactly what am passing through right now, Immediately my colleagues get to know how much am earning, jealousy starts besides he's not even a graduate ooo comparing himself with a petroleum engineer (PTI)... Dis life no balance ooo even telling me that he starts the job before me and so fucking does what?!
Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by MetaFiles230709: 7:17pm On Jul 10, 2023
EriMma1:
I disclose my salary and I don't care. Who wan die make e die. Who wan compete, for your pocket; you're not feeding me., so I care less whether you're earning higher as long as I'm satisfied and contented with mine.

By the way, I've experienced that a lot where after disclosing my income, their expectations of me became high and they began to expect me to live a certain lifestyle to the extent someone said I'm supposed to go rent an apartment in lekki that I'm here dragging mainland with them. She dey use am yab me but I just ignored and avoided her. Though I wasn't the one who disclosed my income to this monkey of a woman..she just sized me up with the level wey I dey pull come deduce say e be like say I hole small change o. Na so beefing start.

In all, I don kia!

Same with me, anyone can know mine and even anybody mumu ask me, I dey tell the person to the lowest decimal, I have never cared about the implications, if person bill me and I no get, I go say, if you start competition with me, na your cup of tea, and I don't care about other people's earning.

Na to manage myself, be okay and continue hustling smartly me dey focus on now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by rafcrown(m): 7:21pm On Jul 10, 2023
A Colleague in the UK noticed that I received little bit more than him, he took the mater up UNTIL THEY ADJUSTED HIS salary.ENVY AND BAD BELLY will set in so dont tell people what you earn

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary by donhils: 7:28pm On Jul 10, 2023
What happens if your salary is smaller than theirs when you tell them? Cos your scenarios were all when you earned more

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

He Is Crippled But Works As A Cobbler: Very Inspiring (photo) / My Heart Felt Message To GRADUATES Teaching In Private Primary/secondary Schoo / Nigerians Qualify As UK Launches Scale-up Visa For Skilled Workers - Engineers ,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.