Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? (18043 Views)

It’s Satanic For Wives To Demand Money From Husbands Before Sex - Livinus Okeke / Man And His Friends Storm Pastor's House, Demand For The Car His Wife Gave Him / Please Help Look Into This Family Issue (I'm Loosing My Mind) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by yetty247(f): 2:36pm On Jul 11, 2023
Nazgul:
A member of a church underwent a major operation, and his medical bill was N245,000. And he couldn't afford it.

His brother went to the Pastor on Sunday and told him to assist. The Pastor picked the microphone and told the church that our brother needs N245,000 to settle his medical bill.

Members began to donate.

After donations, what was realized was N760,000. And after the church, the Pastor counted N245,000 and gave the brother to the sick person, and then he put the balance into the church account.

The sick person's family are aggrieved. They're of the opinion that members raised that money for their brother and not the church so the church has no right to keep back any amount given to their brother. Cos the announcement was specifically to raise money for the sick brother.

The pastor is saying that they requested for 245k and he has given it to them. So whatever is left belongs to the church.

Is the pastor right?

Or is he greedy?

Contributions are welcomed.

God knows best but I feel if the church or someone else needs another assist and the church member can't meet up, they will remove from the balance

But if the pastor spends the money personally, that means He dey greedy meanwhile the family suppose dey appreciative.
Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by michlins(m): 2:40pm On Jul 11, 2023
Ungrateful family. The pastor can easily refuse to ask his congregation for donations. Morealso the pastor can use it for the charity cases that can come to the church without going back to the congregation to beg.
Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by KayB: 2:41pm On Jul 11, 2023
Alihamdulilah
Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by Muyiwabiggy(m): 2:57pm On Jul 11, 2023
Nazgul:
A member of a church underwent a major operation, and his medical bill was N245,000. And he couldn't afford it.

His brother went to the Pastor on Sunday and told him to assist. The Pastor picked the microphone and told the church that our brother needs N245,000 to settle his medical bill.

Members began to donate.

After donations, what was realized was N760,000. And after the church, the Pastor counted N245,000 and gave the brother to the sick person, and then he put the balance into the church account.

The sick person's family are aggrieved. They're of the opinion that members raised that money for their brother and not the church so the church has no right to keep back any amount given to their brother. Cos the announcement was specifically to raise money for the sick brother.

The pastor is saying that they requested for 245k and he has given it to them. So whatever is left belongs to the church.

Is the pastor right?

Or is he greedy?

The family is very ungrateful nah. This is why I don't participate in donations in church because of the self entitlof some idiotic people. What if the pastor has not offered to help? Some people sha

Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by BabaIbo: 3:12pm On Jul 11, 2023
Since the family has gotten what they need, the remaining money should be assigned(saved) separately from the main or general church account to cater for similar purposes that may come up in that church.

Lest, I forget a committee should be set up to oversee that and not the pastor.
Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by Mom007(f): 3:13pm On Jul 11, 2023
Its called stealing by trick. The pastor should have closed the donations after the needed sum was achieved instead of using the situation to enrich his coffers. The family too should remove their eyes from the money and allow God to judge the pastor by Himself.
Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by Ate247(m): 3:15pm On Jul 11, 2023
jaeyking:
Hmmm,

Since the aim for the donation was for the ill person, I feel everything should be given to them not the specified amount for the treatment

So what if the money realized was less than a 100k, would the pastor had added money or would the family reject it

The family should just accept it

Now

Was the pastor greedy I can't say
Are the family ungrateful I can't judge

Leave matter for God
The pastor did the right thing. There are other person in that church that need help. He can't be coming up the pupit to always asked for help. The family is greedy. You requested for a particular amount and was given. I hate such people with my life.
Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by Jobio1(f): 3:18pm On Jul 11, 2023
There are other people in the church that need money too what if someone comes with problems again,the money should go to welfare purse in church.
Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by juman(m): 3:28pm On Jul 11, 2023
Good pastor. That kind of pastor is rear today.
Pastor did right thing.
Let the family go and treat their man, if they genuinely need more money, they can return to the pastor with proof.
Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by Rikaxe9432: 3:31pm On Jul 11, 2023
Tell ur friend next time he should ask for more higher money than needed chikena….
Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by Nairalander248: 3:43pm On Jul 11, 2023
mariahAngel:
Did it really happen or this is just one of those pastors/church bashing threads?

Everything that is happening now has happened before now, just that these days they are just modern version of it...
Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by nedekid: 3:56pm On Jul 11, 2023
If the church raised up to 750, way above the 250 requested, then the proper thing that should be done by the pastor is to hand over that donation to you the family.
On the other hand, should the pastor not do what is morally right, the family should accept the 250k in good faith. Afterall, the family has received what they wanted in full, and without the pastor using his platform, they will not have seen the 250 not to talk of 750 they eyes is hooked on now.
Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by Flame77: 4:37pm On Jul 11, 2023
Nazgul:

A friend told me about it that it happened in his church. Besides why do you look surprised, most up coming Pentecostal pastors character becomes pathetic once money is involved.

What are you even saying for Christ's sake? Just listen to yourself. Did pastor paid the balance into his personal account or church account? I even blame the pastor for making that public announcement. Very soon every tom and jerry who is sick will want the pastor to do same for them. We don't allow this trash in my church. There's a standing welfere unit that handles things like these and we don't give 100% of whatever people request for because There are other needs in the church the money can meet, problem no dey finish. Greedy and ungrateful family.
Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by DeTribalisedCit: 4:40pm On Jul 11, 2023
Did the Pastor keep the money with the full knowledge of the church members that they have a reserve to help other members of the church with such dire situations in the near future? If yes, then it's fine. Except the family were made to expect more than what they asked for, they should not feel entitled to more than that.
Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by grandstar(m): 4:47pm On Jul 11, 2023
The problem here really is the greed of many pastors. Pentecostal, or born again Christians, despite claiming to serve God, consider their churches and members as a "low trust society"

If they did trust their pastors, this won't arise. Even if the 245k is expended, they could still request for more if needed from the balance for his recovery.

I am a jehovahs witness and I find this drama very intriguing. Every month, a monthly record of accounts is made and posted on the notice board.

Those taking the lead amongst us are not paid. Those who are paid are those working in the branch offices, full time construction work or full time preachers.

We don't have a clergy class. All those working in the branch offices are paid a stipend and all collect the same stipend, from the president of the Watchtower society to the person cleaning.

The president flies economy class. When a member of the governing body visited Nigeria, it was a pick up truck he was chauffeured around in.
Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by UdeywhineMe: 4:56pm On Jul 11, 2023
vdestro:
Pastor is greedy
you should be castrated
Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by Yemmysworld91: 4:59pm On Jul 11, 2023
Nazgul:

Members began to donate.

Is the pastor right?

Or is he greedy?

Churches have welfare account. The remaining balance is possibly kept in the church welfare account to help other members who may be in need.
The family has no right to ask for the whole money.
But the pastor must be accountable to the church if the money is for welfare.
Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by SweetDipBenny(m): 5:06pm On Jul 11, 2023
donbachi:
Na the "thank you" wey dem suppose tell the pastor be dat.... ungrateful family.
can u imagine d ingrate sad
Fvckin ungrateful son of a bìtch sad
Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by Depsui(m): 5:25pm On Jul 11, 2023
Ate247:
The pastor did the right thing. There are other person in that church that need help. He can't be coming up the pupit to always asked for help. The family is greedy. You requested for a particular amount and was given. I hate such people with my life.

But the people gave to the particular person and not the church. The church can ask for a general welfare offering some other time since the members are willing to give. Also normal tithes and offerings should also be used to help others in the church.

The church just served as an intermediary in this case. People didn't donate money to the church for welfare, they donated indirectly to the sick person through the church's account.

So the money belongs to whom the donors gave the money to. I'm sure the family needs the money more than the church for extra expenses.
Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by Depsui(m): 5:28pm On Jul 11, 2023
Yemmysworld91:

Churches have welfare account. The remaining balance is possibly kept in the church welfare account to help other members who may be in need.
The family has no right to ask for the whole money.
But the pastor must be accountable to the church if the money is for welfare.

Then why didn't the pastor give the man money for the operation from the welfare account?

Most churches nowadays just take, take, take, they don't give anything back. And now they're trying to take someone else's money.
Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by Just4000: 6:22pm On Jul 11, 2023
There are certain questions you need to answer by yourself before you can blame any of the parties involved.

1. Are there agreement/arrangement in the church that people must contribute certain amount to help an ailing member of which you and your family has been judiciously contributing to?

2. Have other members been involved in this situation and the entire contribution surpassing their request was given to them?

3. Is the balance put into the church account or pastors personal account? If church account as stated, then is the pastor having full unaccounted access to the church account to do what he like with it, without monitoring?

4. Is it mandatory for the church to raise money for hospital bill for all sick member of the church, and you have been contributing to all of them?

5. Is your family highly contributory to bringing this to a significant amount as it is. ( I mean, is it due to your family influence that they were able to raise that significant amount)?

If answer to any of these questions is NO, then you have no right to demand for an extra to what you asked for. It was a good will to help your family and it is what you asked for.
In fact it would be dishonest of you to ask for more. I mean what for, to buy food or buy clothes for the sick relative? No, you didn't say those were your issues na. Let's take out all these entitlement mentality we place on church and look at it, like organization where people give freely to what they believe in.

If the pastor refuse to raise fund for you, or people refuse to contribute, you will come out to blame the pastor & the church for abandoning your loved one, forgetting that you no give anybody money hold for you.

But, if you answer to all of the five questions above is YES. Then let the pastor do the needful.
Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by Khallicopyro: 6:23pm On Jul 11, 2023
Tell the family to go to court
Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by Karnice600: 6:39pm On Jul 11, 2023
Nazgul:

Members began to donate.

Is the pastor right?

Or is he greedy?

Pastor is right. It was a free will offering or donation.
The Church must have a purse. That’s where the funds should go.
They aren’t the only ones with problems in the church. Some people can’t even voice theirs.
God so blessed that they got more than needed.
Now imagine if you were a member of that church and you gave 10k to support the family in question. Then the next Sunday Pastor requests more donations from you against another unforeseen situation unfolding. Will you be cool to give another 10k when you know that the previous donation generated surplus beyond the needed amount?
Money is someone’s sweat and pain. It should be well appropriated and accounted for in the Church. I think that family is a selfish family and an ungrateful one.
Assuming it’s a ceremony and sums were donated, that’s a different case. Then we can agree that all the moneys will get into the celebrant’s purse. That’s a different case.
Well that’s for me sha. I see nothing wrong with what the Pastor did.
Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by emmyN(m): 6:46pm On Jul 11, 2023
On one hand the pastor could have been magnanimous enough to add a topping on the requested sum, and on the other hand the family is feeling too entitled by demanding the whole sum.
Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by Ate247(m): 6:58pm On Jul 11, 2023
Depsui:

But the people gave to the particular person and not the church. The church can ask for a general welfare offering some other time since the members are willing to give. Also normal tithes and offerings should also be used to help others in the church.

The church just served as an intermediary in this case. People didn't donate money to the church for welfare, they donated indirectly to the sick person through the church's account.

So the money belongs to whom the donors gave the money to. I'm sure the family needs the money more than the church for extra expenses.
it would have been okay if he went by himself and ask for such if that money will ever come out.
Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by Blackdisciple(m): 7:40pm On Jul 11, 2023
The pastor shouldn't have done that because even as he announced the actual donation needed, the donation was for the hospital bill as announced so why holding some..
Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by valETA1(m): 8:10pm On Jul 11, 2023
Pastor couldn't even do the Arsene wenger of Arsenal those days.
Liverpool needed anything above 50m for Suarez, baba table 50.1m grin Next day, Suarez flew to Barca.

Back to the topic, Pastor no try, Family sef no try.
Pastor add small thing for miscellaneous, would av gone a long way.
Family needs to learn how to appreciate, after all it was a 50 50 chances that the donations might not av clocked that amount.
Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by Tekahashi: 9:36pm On Jul 11, 2023
fan fiction
Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by thinkmoney(m): 9:50pm On Jul 11, 2023
jaeyking:
Hmmm,

Since the aim for the donation was for the ill person, I feel everything should be given to them not the specified amount for the treatment

So what if the money realized was less than a 100k, would the pastor had added money or would the family reject it

The family should just accept it

Now

Was the pastor greedy I can't say
Are the family ungrateful I can't judge

Leave matter for God
My brother you dissected it well especially with the example you gave when you asked what the pastor would have done if the money was lower than what the people requested.
The pastor is greedy
Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by bobolaga: 4:29am On Jul 12, 2023
The family are ungrateful family, they are pretending as if they are fully care for the brother that is on sick bed mean while they are wishing that innocent guy death, if not no need to raise argument for someone that need urgent help, remember that the sick person is not the only member in the church, what if another church member need help tomorrow it means the church will continue to contribute money every week.
Re: Is This Family Right To Demand For The Whole Money? by bobolaga: 4:32am On Jul 12, 2023
Please guys mind the way we judge pastors, we understand that we have man much WAC pastors but not all of them, before we use to says that among 12 you mush see Judas but now is among 3 Judas is already there.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? / Man Beats His Sister For Trying To Stop Him From Cheating On His Wife / Your Cousin's Son Or Daughter Is Called What?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.