Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,172 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:02 AM

Carlos Alcaraz Beats Novak Djokovic To Win Wimbledon Men's Singles Final - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Carlos Alcaraz Beats Novak Djokovic To Win Wimbledon Men's Singles Final (19977 Views)

Disqualification: Djokovic To Lose Ranking Points, Fined Prize Money / Novak Djokovic Takes On 2 Fat Sumo Heavyweight Fighters (Photos) / Anthony Joshua Beats Carlos Takam To Retain Heavyweight Title (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Carlos Alcaraz Beats Novak Djokovic To Win Wimbledon Men's Singles Final by Almiron: 7:05pm On Jul 16, 2023
Carlos Alcaraz has won the Wimbledon men's singles title, ending Novak Djokovic's winning streak.

The 20-year-old Spaniard beat his Serbian opponent in an epic five set match, 1-6 7-6 (8-6) 6-1 3-6 6-4, to lift the trophy for the first time.

After overcoming a nervy first set, in which he won only one game, he dug in and produced a series of stunning passing shots to defeat one of the greatest players of all time.

He becomes the youngest man to lift the Challenge Cup since 18-year-old Boris Becker won the second of his three Wimbledon titles in 1986.

It is Alcaraz's second grand slam win after claiming the 2022 US Open. He remains the world number one.

His victory stopped Djokovic from gaining his eighth Wimbledon title, something that would have put him level with Roger Federer.

The Princess of Wales, Prince George and Princess Charlotte were watching from the royal box on Centre Court.

The number two seed was on track for his 24th grand slam win and his fifth consecutive Wimbledon victory in a row - minus the 2020 tournament which was cancelled because of COVID.

Before the match, Alcaraz said that going up against a "legend from our sport" made the final more special.

"I always say if you want to be the best, you have to beat the best. Novak is one of them. It would be great if I can do it," he said.

The pair last met on court during the French Open semi-final last month, where Djokovic took the last two sets 6-1, 6-1.

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/carlos-alcaraz-beats-novak-djokovic-to-win-wimbledon-mens-singles-final-12921791

32 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Carlos Alcaraz Beats Novak Djokovic To Win Wimbledon Men's Singles Final by budaatum: 7:07pm On Jul 16, 2023
Is this the dawn of a new Wimbledon King?

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Carlos Alcaraz Beats Novak Djokovic To Win Wimbledon Men's Singles Final by Almiron: 7:10pm On Jul 16, 2023
More pictures

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Carlos Alcaraz Beats Novak Djokovic To Win Wimbledon Men's Singles Final by LIVINGICONREBOR: 7:11pm On Jul 16, 2023
You did it for me boy. If you know you know. Mehn, that was one hell of tennis.😀

Novak don try. Make the young ones breef, don't suffocate them.

52 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Carlos Alcaraz Beats Novak Djokovic To Win Wimbledon Men's Singles Final by Almiron: 7:16pm On Jul 16, 2023
Leo Messi's influence is unreal 🐐

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Carlos Alcaraz Beats Novak Djokovic To Win Wimbledon Men's Singles Final by GarkiAccessory(m): 7:26pm On Jul 16, 2023
Resembles Pete Sampras a little bit

16 Likes

Re: Carlos Alcaraz Beats Novak Djokovic To Win Wimbledon Men's Singles Final by projet: 7:49pm On Jul 16, 2023
How Djokovic allowed that guy truimph over him still amazes me, that means had it been the guy was fit during that Roland Garros he would have beaten Djokovic in that final.He Just aler the young guy dethroned him from his most dominant surface,I am pissed

13 Likes

Re: Carlos Alcaraz Beats Novak Djokovic To Win Wimbledon Men's Singles Final by Wawelexy(m): 7:52pm On Jul 16, 2023
projet:
How Djokovic allowed that guy truimph over him still amazes me, that means had it been the guy was fit during that Roland Garros he would have beaten Djokovic in that final.He Just aler the young guy dethroned him from his most dominant surface,I am pissed

Djokovic lost his form after his last injury

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Carlos Alcaraz Beats Novak Djokovic To Win Wimbledon Men's Singles Final by Almiron: 8:40pm On Jul 16, 2023
Nlfpmod frontpage breaking news, e don cold now lol
Re: Carlos Alcaraz Beats Novak Djokovic To Win Wimbledon Men's Singles Final by femisplash: 9:11pm On Jul 16, 2023
Alcaraz has come to stay,not a fluke. Novak was lucky he suffered a cramp in their last encounter at the french open. Novak, you're a champ but i'm sorry, i just want someone that would beat him silly like he did to Federer and Nadal.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Carlos Alcaraz Beats Novak Djokovic To Win Wimbledon Men's Singles Final by femisplash: 9:13pm On Jul 16, 2023
projet:
Djokovic allowed him?
Seems you've not been following this guy. This is not his first of beating Novak. Did you see how he beat Medvedev(world no 3) in the semifinals?. He's my new favourite and i hope he stays fit to dominate for a very long time. And i hope he beats Novak and make him cry till he retires.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Carlos Alcaraz Beats Novak Djokovic To Win Wimbledon Men's Singles Final by Lorddominic(m): 9:15pm On Jul 16, 2023
At just 20 years, he's won 2 Grand slams!!! This kid will definitely own male tennis world after Djokovic....can anyone confidently stop him? Alex Zverev, Mateo Berretini, Dan Medvedev, Norrie Cameron, Ruud Casper, Rublev, S. Tsitsipas....no one

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Carlos Alcaraz Beats Novak Djokovic To Win Wimbledon Men's Singles Final by femisplash: 9:18pm On Jul 16, 2023
Wawelexy:

Dey play, when he came back from injury and won grandslams back to back, overtaking Nadal, he didn't lose form but now that he was beaten he don lose form.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Carlos Alcaraz Beats Novak Djokovic To Win Wimbledon Men's Singles Final by Lorddominic(m): 9:26pm On Jul 16, 2023
Wawelexy:

He didn't lose any form...he met a youthful resilient kid filled with vengeance for d defeat suffered at Roland garros, who took him to 5sets

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Carlos Alcaraz Beats Novak Djokovic To Win Wimbledon Men's Singles Final by Almiron: 9:35pm On Jul 16, 2023
Kingcalls:

Ur stupidity can not have part 2 cos it will be a nuclear disaster
you’ll cry till death

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Carlos Alcaraz Beats Novak Djokovic To Win Wimbledon Men's Singles Final by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jul 16, 2023
Novak Djokovic remains the goat 🐐

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Carlos Alcaraz Beats Novak Djokovic To Win Wimbledon Men's Singles Final by obi4eze(m): 9:54pm On Jul 16, 2023
grin
Re: Carlos Alcaraz Beats Novak Djokovic To Win Wimbledon Men's Singles Final by Cryt: 9:54pm On Jul 16, 2023
Congrats to him

1 Like

Re: Carlos Alcaraz Beats Novak Djokovic To Win Wimbledon Men's Singles Final by NwaNimo1(m): 9:54pm On Jul 16, 2023
.....Beats Novak Djokovic

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Carlos Alcaraz Beats Novak Djokovic To Win Wimbledon Men's Singles Final by nairalee(m): 9:54pm On Jul 16, 2023
Alcaraz is the new Nadal

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Carlos Alcaraz Beats Novak Djokovic To Win Wimbledon Men's Singles Final by Pertine(m): 9:54pm On Jul 16, 2023
Congratulations
Re: Carlos Alcaraz Beats Novak Djokovic To Win Wimbledon Men's Singles Final by OluwaBlessyn: 9:56pm On Jul 16, 2023
Dawn of a new era

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Carlos Alcaraz Beats Novak Djokovic To Win Wimbledon Men's Singles Final by CheedyJ(m): 9:57pm On Jul 16, 2023
femisplash:

Dey play, when he came back from injury and won grandslams back to back, overtaking Nadal, he didn't lose form but now that he was beaten he don lose form.
Don't mind the guy, person wey don win 2 grandslams after the injury
Re: Carlos Alcaraz Beats Novak Djokovic To Win Wimbledon Men's Singles Final by Pogigai: 10:00pm On Jul 16, 2023
Give it to Novak. He is d GOAT of tennis. Anyone can lose any day. Nothing last forever

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Carlos Alcaraz Beats Novak Djokovic To Win Wimbledon Men's Singles Final by jargonzboi(m): 10:04pm On Jul 16, 2023
Omoh.
We did it for Nadal.

Congrats to new champ

4 Likes

Re: Carlos Alcaraz Beats Novak Djokovic To Win Wimbledon Men's Singles Final by joeyswift(m): 10:05pm On Jul 16, 2023
femisplash:

Re you aware that Nadal was leading Djokovic with 2 grandslams before Nadal went on injury?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Emiliano Sala To Be Buried On Saturday In His Country, Argentina / Victor Anichebe Getting Back On His Feet A Month After Injury [PICS] / UCL: How Ronaldo And Messi Performed In The First Games For Their New Teams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.