Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,427 members, 7,853,856 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 06:23 AM

529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN (23937 Views)

632 Nigeria-Trained Doctors Practising In Canada As Of 2020 / Steps On How To Renew Your 2018 MDCN Licence / Mdcn Versus Foreign Trained Medical Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by XAUBulls: 10:21pm On Jul 25, 2023
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by heykims(m): 3:01am On Jul 26, 2023
jaephoenix:
It doesn't mean the IMGs (International Medical Graduates) are dullards. It simply means we use a different yardstick here. Those IMGs satisfied their foreign trainers who based their assessments on pathologies endemic in their environment, and some management regimen obtained in their climes.
MDCN conduct their exams based on tropical diseases with Nigeria as a case point. Example is Cystic Fibrosis. Its almost impossible to see a Nigerian with this. But its common in the UK etc. So UK trained docs would be quite comfortable managing it. Thus their exams would consist more of such cases. Now look at Sickle Cell Disease. This is endemic in Nigeria and kinda rare in Caucasians. We know how to manage it and thus our exams (and this MDCN assessment) would feature it hugely. A IMG would not know much about it.
I took the exam even though I'm Nigerian trained. Long story
U took the exam likely because the Nigerian University u graduated from is not accredited to study Medicine, that's the only reason u can write the exam as a graduate of a Nigerian University.
Moreso u are right in ur assertions but that is the standard everywhere. Nigeria trained doctors also write foreign exams and they have to get familiar with trending diseases in those countries for them to pass.
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by jaephoenix(m): 3:48am On Jul 26, 2023
riczy:
wat he said not a lie in totality!
Dude I trained in Nigeria. And i know many that trained abroad. Hes talking nonsense
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by riczy(m): 9:46am On Jul 26, 2023
jaephoenix:

Dude I trained in Nigeria. And i know many that trained abroad. Hes talking nonsense
there shud be no fuss abt dt Doc!
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by gforce5: 2:11pm On Jul 26, 2023
This topic highlights the level of ignorance amongst Nigerians who studied in Nigeria. Foreign-trained doctors failing the medical exam does not mean that they are olodos or that their home-trained counterparts are more intelligent than them. Any one who has gone through the Nigerian education system would know that the system makes it difficult for people to pass. In Nigeria, lecturers focus on theory rather than practicals. They want you to regurgitate everything they teach you in your examination papers.

The reason why Nigerian student do so well abroad is because they studied in a very stressful environment. Once they migrate abroad for further studies, they do well because the environment is stress free. That does not mean that they are better than their foreign-trained counterparts. It just means that they can afford to focus more as they are not dealing with sadistic lecturers who intentionally want them to fail. Foreign-trained Nigerian doctors on the other hand, struggle to pass the exams here as they are used to studying in a stress-free environment where the questions are straight forward, they actually practice what they teach and are not subjected to oppressive lecturers and examiners who want to fail as many people as possible.

If the educational system in Nigeria is so good, why aren't Nigerian medical schools ranked in the top 400 in the world? They aren't even in the top 15 medical schools in Africa.

Finally, I hope you lots know that "foreign" trained could be those studying in Ghana and other African countries?
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by jaephoenix(m): 7:50pm On Jul 27, 2023
heykims:

U took the exam likely because the Nigerian University u graduated from is not accredited to study Medicine, that's the only reason u can write the exam as a graduate of a Nigerian University.
Moreso u are right in ur assertions but that is the standard everywhere. Nigeria trained doctors also write foreign exams and they have to get familiar with trending diseases in those countries for them to pass.
No. The school(Unical) has been producing docs for years but lost acc for 1 year in 2005 because of an issue with non-physician intrusion into medical training

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

DELSUTH Doctor Leaves Woman In Theater, Refers Her To His Private Clinic / Man Dies After Overdosing On Tramadol, Weed In Agege / Prof Kola Oloke: Shun Consumption Of Animal Skin To Stave Off Cancer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.