Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,295 members, 7,836,290 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:09 AM

529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN (23845 Views)

632 Nigeria-Trained Doctors Practising In Canada As Of 2020 / Steps On How To Renew Your 2018 MDCN Licence / Mdcn Versus Foreign Trained Medical Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by JohnBullMySon: 11:23am On Jul 24, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
smh. Just like what you just typed, mere jargons abi

You wouldn't understand if you haven't schooled abroad. Something can be difficult and worthless at the same time.

Nigerian Universities are all crappy.

1 Like

Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by ChuksHills(m): 11:27am On Jul 24, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

https://punchng.com/529-foreign-trained-doctors-failed-medical-exam-mdcn/

It is not by theory, give them practical then you will see their worth.
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by Yxxx: 11:31am On Jul 24, 2023
Nigeria that like theory more than practical. Our universities boast in suffering and it is assumed when you cram and pour you are intelligent. I know that exam is just another suffer mode activated exam that is why the foreign students failed because they school to comprehend and make impact , ours na just for show off say "I pass exam"
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by LZAA: 11:32am On Jul 24, 2023
Afamed:

How far, today is Monday, make una no run on innocent people at Obiagwu, roundabout/ Nkporkoti/ holyghost today oo

Make una allow the poor to breathe
undecided undecided
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by Lifestone(m): 11:33am On Jul 24, 2023
Eazeee:
U guys are forgetting or ignoring the fact that one of the reason for the failure may be because the foreign trained doctors refuse to ''settle'' the Medical Council. I have personally seen that done in the past. Carry out proper investigation on the cause of the failure & you may be shocked
You came in with maybe!
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by Lifestone(m): 11:35am On Jul 24, 2023
Yxxx:
Nigeria that like theory more than practical. Our universities boast in suffering and it is assumed when you cram and pour you are intelligent. I know that exam is just another suffer mode activated exam that is why the foreign students failed because they school to comprehend and make impact , ours na just for show off say "I pass exam"
Nigerian Doctors have proved their mettle all over the world and are highly sought after. You guys should see good things in this Country

1 Like

Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by johnaruson(m): 11:40am On Jul 24, 2023
For the country to be In the right place means to remove Tinubu who stole the mandate.
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by Jeezuzpick(m): 11:42am On Jul 24, 2023
jaephoenix:

Knowledge has gone beyond 'loading your brains' and pouring it in the exams. And when you actually see a patient with such cases that you loaded your brain, you freeze. Thats basically what we do here.
Knowledge is more advanced than that.
Besides Americans or British have smart folks too who load their brains too. They are called nerds

Yet our doctors are doing the same thing and succeeding outside while those who trained outside can't do it and aucceed here?

That's funny......

Well, I do know you can't consult reference books or even the internet in an emergency, it's what you have in your brain that you'll use.

1 Like

Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by patrickcollins: 11:42am On Jul 24, 2023
CondenseMilk:
grin

This is the only thing abroad students don't tell nigerians back home
Togo and likes of them are foreign trained too
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by ponishah: 11:44am On Jul 24, 2023
Lukuluku69:

They don't even list those that failed on a Pass List. Once your name doesn't appear, that means you flunked it.

So, they won't even come up with a Country List.
That doesn't mean they don't have it or can't produce it
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by bigtt76(f): 11:46am On Jul 24, 2023
Header should've been ***We failed 529 foreign trained doctors 😂😂

FreeStuffsNG:

Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by DeOTR: 11:55am On Jul 24, 2023
InvertedHammer:

/
I beg to differ.

The question is: What is the structure of the examination?

It is difficult to study and train with modern equipment and be tested on archaic practices bordering on "cram and vomit". Many Nigerians who excelled in many professions abroad were initialed failed in Nigerian schools. Do you ever wonder why? Last time I checked, graduates from Nigerian universities are not world class. They need to update their curricula. Don't be surprised that it is the same exams that they used in the 1980s that they are still using in 2023.

Talk to doctors in your Teaching Hospitals about laparoscopic surgery or even common bronchoscopy, they will look at you like an alien.

/
Are you sure you're OK with this your last paragraph? undecided

Even as a non-medical staff who has once worked in the managed care industry, I'm not ignorant of laparascopy. It's a common procedure in our hospitals and I have records of dozens of my clients then that went through it. The damn surgery is on HMO plans.

4 Likes

Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by Niyijac: 12:06pm On Jul 24, 2023
This one is using Chatgpt to respond on nairaland. Na wa o. shocked

April396949:
It is concerning to hear that 529 foreign-trained doctors failed a medical exam conducted by the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN). This raises questions about the quality of medical education and training in these foreign institutions.

The MDCN plays a vital role in ensuring the competence and proficiency of doctors in Nigeria. The fact that such a high number of foreign-trained doctors failed the exam highlights the importance of stringent assessment measures to maintain patient safety and uphold medical standards.

It is crucial for the MDCN to thoroughly investigate the reasons behind this high failure rate. Factors such as inadequate education, lack of clinical exposure, or insufficient preparation for the exam must be addressed to prevent the influx of underqualified doctors into the Nigerian healthcare system.

Simultaneously, it is essential to evaluate Nigerian medical schools' capacity to produce enough well-trained doctors to meet the growing healthcare needs of the population. If the country is heavily relying on foreign-trained doctors to bridge the healthcare gap, it is essential to ensure that they receive the necessary support and guidance to successfully integrate into the healthcare system.

This situation also calls for collaboration between Nigerian and foreign medical institutions to establish stricter quality control measures for medical education and training. Efforts should focus on sharing best practices, regular assessments, and learning from successful healthcare systems globally.

Ultimately, the goal should be to ensure that all doctors practicing in Nigeria, whether foreign-trained or locally educated, meet the highest standards of medical competence and professionalism to guarantee the provision of safe and effective healthcare services to the Nigerian people.
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by FreeStuffsNG: 12:08pm On Jul 24, 2023
ChuksHills:

It is not by theory, give them practical then you will see their worth.
smh. Will you donate yourself for the 'practical'?
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by africanman85: 12:16pm On Jul 24, 2023
thorpido:
Did you read the Op or you just dey talk your own? angry
You have not been a victim of negligence. That's why u are talking that way or probably u are one of this doctors.
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by abbiboy: 12:17pm On Jul 24, 2023
DSS1335:
They should be specific of what they meant by foreign-trained medical graduates.
I observed it is very easy to obtain an MBBS/BDS degree from other African institutes compared to European. I won't be surprised that the majority of those who failed this assessment were students who couldn't make it in Nigerian institutions but made it big in University of Sudan, Gambia, Mozambique, Cameroon, Lesotho, etc. Thumbs up to MBBS graduates of Uniport, UI, Unilag, UNN, etc, if they can succeed through the rigorous training here they can succeed anywhere in the world
Just imagine the way you think, what if they're trained in the west?!
Inferiority complex they worry u. Its your type that look down on the capability of their fellow blacks.
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by ncoolsome(m): 12:27pm On Jul 24, 2023
DenreleDave:

Stop spewing lies.. You only fail exam if you are not prepared.. I was the worst in my sec school bcox I don't read nor prepare for exam..

In the poly, I was one of the 10 best.. I university, I was the 2nd best in my dept...

So y do nigerians do better outside accedimically ??
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by djseanjohn77: 12:30pm On Jul 24, 2023
DSS1335:
They should be specific of what they meant by foreign-trained medical graduates.
I observed it is very easy to obtain an MBBS/BDS degree from other African institutes compared to European. I won't be surprised that the majority of those who failed this assessment were students who couldn't make it in Nigerian institutions but made it big in University of Sudan, Gambia, Mozambique, Cameroon, Lesotho, etc. Thumbs up to MBBS graduates of Uniport, UI, Unilag, UNN, etc, if they can succeed through the rigorous training here they can succeed anywhere in the world

It's really no big deal, over here, people often fail Prometric in other countries and they get a re-sit. I think they have a number times to try again.
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by Reference(m): 12:33pm On Jul 24, 2023
Hmmm..... I've travelled the world to learn.... I must return from Russia with love.... grin
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by thorpido(m): 12:42pm On Jul 24, 2023
africanman85:
You have not been a victim of negligence. That's why u are talking that way or probably u are one of this doctors.
Show me in which profession negligence is never recorded?Are doctors not humans like every other being?
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by NinjaMetahuman: 12:50pm On Jul 24, 2023
RECTEM:
It still amazes me why anyone would spend so much studying overseas,only to return to Nigeria to hustle for a licence to practice.

Penny wise,pound foolish venture
because it's not easy to become a doctor in Nigeria.

The process is rigorous unlike.foreign countries where anyone can become doctor as long as you have money.

You need big score in waec and jamb to even become doctors in naija. You just need big pocket to become one in most foreign countries..

1 Like

Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by NinjaMetahuman: 12:54pm On Jul 24, 2023
Eazeee:
U guys are forgetting or ignoring the fact that one of the reason for the failure may be because the foreign trained doctors refuse to ''settle'' the Medical Council. I have personally seen that done in the past. Carry out proper investigation on the cause of the failure & you may be shocked
here comes and another stupid Nigerian discrediting one of the best institution in Nigeria.

Where is your proof of this?

You think those in medical councils are poor underpaid political jobbers looking for money to survive?

Some of you will just open mouth and talk like a brainless amoeba.

Sheesh.

3 Likes

Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by updatechange(m): 12:54pm On Jul 24, 2023
jaephoenix:

1. Not most of ours. A good number of Nigerian docs still fail PLAB/USMLE
2. You would most certainty not see an American practicing in Nigeria. What you see is Nigerians trained in UK/US coming to fail exams in Nigeria. Not American or British citizens. So ultimately the failing docs are still Nigerians

The number 2 is exactly what I meant by Nigeria trained docs are better than their abroad trained ones.

1 Like

Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by MondayOsunbor(m): 1:01pm On Jul 24, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

You pass aboard fail in Nigeria

Wicked wizard full Nigeria
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by Yxxx: 1:02pm On Jul 24, 2023
Lifestone:

Nigerian Doctors have proved their mettle all over the world and are highly sought after. You guys should see good things in this Country
I am not disputing that but do we have to be stuffed with too much to the extent of craming? They are sought after because of cheap labour too.
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by Cantonese: 1:13pm On Jul 24, 2023
DSS1335:

Please get to the nearest Iya Ibadan and get yourself some amala and very correct ogunfe and bokoto to refresh yourself.

Your comment too sweet me.

1 Like

Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by viodemus: 1:27pm On Jul 24, 2023
forget, una fit dun go ask them unrelated BC type questions. And e fit even be say una question no make any comprehension sense. No be una again.

Just to form deep, una go dey ask yeye test questions.

Not all foreign mean excellence, especially in these times and days, but standard, principles, and above mediocre understanding still dey. Light and fan, even dey the exam hall?

1 Like

Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by Blitzking: 1:33pm On Jul 24, 2023
Why struggle to practise in Nigerian when you could be done with your steps on graduation from those institutions..your parents can food the bills just saying.
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by danzaki63: 1:45pm On Jul 24, 2023
Maybe most of them are from Mushroom schools in Benin republic, how can you do medicals in one year?
If the ministry of Education do not stop recognizing those certificates, they are doing a dis service to the country.

1 Like

Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by SSpeter(m): 2:07pm On Jul 24, 2023
DSS1335:
A lot of Nigerians also fail the UK's medical licensing exam, people fail for a lot of reasons not just academic ability

1 Like

Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by SSpeter(m): 2:09pm On Jul 24, 2023
Brendaniel:
What this simply means is that most of the doctors that came here are among the worst from foreign countries.

So while we send most of our best to foreign countries they in turn send most of their worst to our country
Some of the best UK doctors are in the US, Saudi, Qatar, Singapore and Australia

1 Like

Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by SSpeter(m): 2:13pm On Jul 24, 2023
jaephoenix:
It doesn't mean the IMGs (International Medical Graduates) are dullards. It simply means we use a different yardstick here. Those IMGs satisfied their foreign trainers who based their assessments on pathologies endemic in their environment, and some management regimen obtained in their climes.
MDCN conduct their exams based on tropical diseases with Nigeria as a case point. Example is Cystic Fibrosis. Its almost impossible to see a Nigerian with this. But its common in the UK etc. So UK trained docs would be quite comfortable managing it. Thus their exams would consist more of such cases. Now look at Sickle Cell Disease. This is endemic in Nigeria and kinda rare in Caucasians. We know how to manage it and thus our exams (and this MDCN assessment) would feature it hugely. A IMG would not know much about it.
I took the exam even though I'm Nigerian trained. Long story
I beg to differ cos the president said the exam is to test their "Basic" sciences and application, I guess at the fundamental level it doesn't matter if you studied in Iceland, infact most of medical text books you read are foreign

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

World Sleep Day 2018: When Last Did You Sleep For 7 To 8 Hours At Night? / COVID-19: NCDC Validates Viral RNA Extraction / Governor Ikpeazu Commissions 100-Bed Isolation And Treatment Facility (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.