Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,779 members, 7,831,509 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:58 PM

529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN (23826 Views)

632 Nigeria-Trained Doctors Practising In Canada As Of 2020 / Steps On How To Renew Your 2018 MDCN Licence / Mdcn Versus Foreign Trained Medical Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by Stinty: 2:24pm On Jul 24, 2023
The same way, Canada, us and Australia re parking theirs
Fr33born:
What do they really mean by foreign ? In which countries were they trained?

No wonder UK is packing all our Nigerian trained doctors.
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by xandy84: 2:43pm On Jul 24, 2023
Foreign is not always better. Some Nigerian has a better life in Lagos before they decides to sell everything and travel only to have it worse off. Studying medicine in some foreign countries is worse off than going to Benue state university for medical degree.

FreeStuffsNG:
Lobatan. Foreign doesn't mean better.They should study harder for the resit. Check my signature for free stuffs!
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by Simeonjoe1: 2:44pm On Jul 24, 2023
Eazeee:
U guys are forgetting or ignoring the fact that one of the reason for the failure may be because the foreign trained doctors refuse to ''settle'' the Medical Council. I have personally seen that done in the past. Carry out proper investigation on the cause of the failure & you may be shocked

Don't bastardize this processes pls... So only 25% settle who?
What do you see?
Do you think everyone is like you?

3 Likes

Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by Simeonjoe1: 2:48pm On Jul 24, 2023
InvertedHammer:

/
I beg to differ.

The question is: What is the structure of the examination?

It is difficult to study and train with modern equipment and be tested on archaic practices bordering on "cram and vomit". Many Nigerians who excelled in many professions abroad were initialed failed in Nigerian schools. Do you ever wonder why? Last time I checked, graduates from Nigerian universities are not world class. They need to update their curricula. Don't be surprised that it is the same exams that they used in the 1980s that they are still using in 2023.

Talk to doctors in your Teaching Hospitals about laparoscopic surgery or even common bronchoscopy, they will look at you like an alien.

/

This doesn't make sense.
This is an insult to Nigeria practitioners, if only you've speak to a doctor about it and not here spewing nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by smart8956: 3:05pm On Jul 24, 2023
As a medical student here in CA, I'm not planning not even in my dream of coming down there to work even if it's government appointment. Let me explain for those of you not understanding but rush to comment and condemn those failed students.

1. In your university, what's the typical behaviour of your lecturer compared with those abroad? What's their interest? How do they lecture you and set exams for you? Answer and settle yourself.

2. Type of school/country/ language they study with. There's no student in US, CA, UK, China, Russia or even South Africa that will return to Nigeria to practice except the person is really in love to serve his home community. He/she will comeback not because of money but humanitarian services. For those coming back, 90% is that they study in a country which doesn't permit them to work after their studies. There are a number of such countries. Once your study permit ended you're not allowed to work unless you return home and apply for a work visa. In this case many of them will want to write the mdcn exams just to have the license so any time the return to the country they can practice. Also, they may choose to open their clinic and employ home based Nigerian doctors and they travel back to Europe. Don't forget language barrier in Russia, Ukraine, China and other countries.

3. There's so much bribe and corruption in Nigeria. Do you know how much it's now in Abuja or in your state when you ask a doctor to write/give you a medical report? Visit Abija Wuse General Hospital, National Hospital Abuja to confirm for yourself. So what do you think will happen in other poor states when they heard you're a foreign student coming to write exams? You'll pay bribe in millions. Believe me. Even during the exams you'll see some invigilators circulating answers for those who had paid them. It's business, and it's their time to catch out they don't care just like the average politicians. Everybody want to catch out. Some of these students are already exhausted and coming back home their parents can't afford again. They'll surely failed. How many of you write waec exams yourself? That's a mirror example.

4. Experience is different. You can't compare a medic abroad e.g in Asia, Europe, America, or southern Africa to a medic in West Africa. It's different. The same way when our doctors move to CA, US and fail exams and then turn cap drivers is the same way they fail back home. You think UK, USA or Canada and China will employ a junior doctor from Nigeria who doesn't have atleast 4-6 experience ? You think they just pick doctors from Nigeria anyhow? If that's true, even your neighbour who is a doctor would've migrated longtime. Believe me.

Recently tinubu has united exchange rates and most students abroad will not be able to pay fees and some back home won't be able to travel. This was a planned something with the British government when they say they want to reduce student from bringing their parents. We know already. So please calm down and let those poor students coming back seat up perhaps go to UTH in their states and do something with colleagues, they'll do better in next exams.

Conclusion: Even my mother will disown me If I comeback to say I want to work there after all spending. It's not possible.

1 Like

Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by GUNITGuy: 3:22pm On Jul 24, 2023
jaephoenix:
It doesn't mean the IMGs (International Medical Graduates) are dullards. It simply means we use a different yardstick here. Those IMGs satisfied their foreign trainers who based their assessments on pathologies endemic in their environment, and some management regimen obtained in their climes.
MDCN conduct their exams based on tropical diseases with Nigeria as a case point. Example is Cystic Fibrosis. Its almost impossible to see a Nigerian with this. But its common in the UK etc. So UK trained docs would be quite comfortable managing it. Thus their exams would consist more of such cases. Now look at Sickle Cell Disease. This is endemic in Nigeria and kinda rare in Caucasians. We know how to manage it and thus our exams (and this MDCN assessment) would feature it hugely. A IMG would not know much about it.
I took the exam even though I'm Nigerian trained. Long story
Thanks for making it known to them .....You can't learn medicine in Temperate region and expect to fit immediately to tropics ...They are aliments peculiar or common to certain geography, race and even Gender ...
E.g Malaria is not in any western country it's a common disease in Africa and Tropic regions of the world
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by HRMK: 3:54pm On Jul 24, 2023
LOBATAN!!
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by frog12: 4:18pm On Jul 24, 2023
pity
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by Powersurge: 4:26pm On Jul 24, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Lobatan. Foreign doesn't mean better.They should study harder for the resit. Check my signature for free stuffs!

If u check the 'foreign' well na Benin and Niger republic. The school system there is terrible.

We dey shout sat Naija school bad.
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by Judolisco(m): 4:27pm On Jul 24, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Nigeria educational system will drill u... Ugo jack like mad... Dats why u see our people excelling abroad
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by jaephoenix(m): 4:48pm On Jul 24, 2023
Jman06:
That's because there are no checks and balances in our healthcare system.

Nigerians should demand that government opens up an avenue to enable patients and their families sue erring medical personnel and get instant justice from any injuries, deaths or other losses suffered in the course of treatment as a result of negligence on the part of the personnel. This will help our healthcare personnel to sit up in their practices and tone down the overbloated ego.
This is how you know somebody that doesn't know anything.
There are avenues for aggrieved patients and patient relatives to sue doctors and hospitals. In fact my hospital get regular lawsuits and most of them turn out to be frivolous or outright lies. Even this same MDCN entertains complaints from the general public about doctors. So quit bitching and get to court or MDCN if you are sure of what youre saying, instead of disturbing us.
The issue is doctors and hospitals have an oath of doctor patient confidentiality and so risk being struck off or liable if we expose many of these lies you guys tell on social media
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by dontrulee: 4:54pm On Jul 24, 2023
smart8956:
As a medical student here in CA, I'm not planning not even in my dream of coming down there to work even if it's government appointment. Let me explain for those of you not understanding but rush to comment and condemn those failed students.

1. In your university, what's the typical behaviour of your lecturer compared with those abroad? What's their interest? How do they lecture you and set exams for you? Answer and settle yourself.

2. Type of school/country/ language they study with. There's no student in US, CA, UK, China, Russia or even South Africa that will return to Nigeria to practice except the person is really in love to serve his home community. He/she will comeback not because of money but humanitarian services. For those coming back, 90% is that they study in a country which doesn't permit them to work after their studies. There are a number of such countries. Once your study permit ended you're not allowed to work unless you return home and apply for a work visa. In this case many of them will want to write the mdcn exams just to have the license so any time the return to the country they can practice. Also, they may choose to open their clinic and employ home based Nigerian doctors and they travel back to Europe. Don't forget language barrier in Russia, Ukraine, China and other countries.

3. There's so much bribe and corruption in Nigeria. Do you know how much it's now in Abuja or in your state when you ask a doctor to write/give you a medical report? Visit Abija Wuse General Hospital, National Hospital Abuja to confirm for yourself. So what do you think will happen in other poor states when they heard you're a foreign student coming to write exams? You'll pay bribe in millions. Believe me. Even during the exams you'll see some invigilators circulating answers for those who had paid them. It's business, and it's their time to catch out they don't care just like the average politicians. Everybody want to catch out. Some of these students are already exhausted and coming back home their parents can't afford again. They'll surely failed. How many of you write waec exams yourself? That's a mirror example.

4. Experience is different. You can't compare a medic abroad e.g in Asia, Europe, America, or southern Africa to a medic in West Africa. It's different. The same way when our doctors move to CA, US and fail exams and then turn cap drivers is the same way they fail back home. You think UK, USA or Canada and China will employ a junior doctor from Nigeria who doesn't have atleast 4-6 experience ? You think they just pick doctors from Nigeria anyhow? If that's true, even your neighbour who is a doctor would've migrated longtime. Believe me.

Recently tinubu has united exchange rates and most students abroad will not be able to pay fees and some back home won't be able to travel. This was a planned something with the British government when they say they want to reduce student from bringing their parents. We know already. So please calm down and let those poor students coming back seat up perhaps go to UTH in their states and do something with colleagues, they'll do better in next exams.

Conclusion: Even my mother will disown me If I comeback to say I want to work there after all spending. It's not possible.

You're actually right.
I have a friend who does Mercenary work for foreign students writing the MDCN exams and he bills them 1M+
I've received several offers but I declined them all. The last time I did mercenary work was in 2016.

2 Likes

Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by TrumpDonald2: 5:43pm On Jul 24, 2023
livebyday:

Are you not in your 50s? why do you reason like this ? Do you understand the concept of irony sarcasm or even propaganda? Before you start jumping to say foreign doesn't mean betterask for data from which these so called foreign trained students are.from!!

People who studied in Cotonou will also tell you they are foreign trained and it's indeed true but

There is a big difference between a doctor trian3d in Russia Israel, united states United Kingdom South Africa, Egypt , Germany, Australia etc and those trained in Ghana , Niger , Ethiopia etc but on paper they are all foreign trained

You get time to dey correct that old fool that keeps reasoning like a child.
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by jaephoenix(m): 6:21pm On Jul 24, 2023
Jman06:
I'm sure the MDCN are aware of the peculiarities of the different training environments and as such would base their assessments on general cases. Besides, there's no those foreign trained docs wouldn't have been taught diseases like sickle cell, malaria etc which are endemic in Nigeria if they attended good medical schools abroad.
Obviously you aren't a doctor. But let me explain.
MDCN doesnt give a rat's ass where you trained. They don't also give a rat's ass about foreign diseases like Cystic Fibrosis etc cos those aren't prevalent here. So why should they bother about them? Same way UK GMC doesnt give a Bleep about many tropical disease. No Council can cover all the diseases in the world, so they concentrate on their local illnesses. So no matter your school in US or UK, they can't teach you properly on sickle cell than a Nigerian school or hospital
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by jaephoenix(m): 6:28pm On Jul 24, 2023
Jeezuzpick:

Yet our doctors are doing the same thing and succeeding outside while those who trained outside can't do it and aucceed here?

That's funny......

Well, I do know you can't consult reference books or even the internet in an emergency, it's what you have in your brain that you'll use.
Actually there are foreign trained docs excelling well in Nigeria. Try and ask questions
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by jaephoenix(m): 6:34pm On Jul 24, 2023
DeOTR:

Are you sure you're OK with this your last paragraph? undecided

Even as a non-medical staff who has once worked in the managed care industry, I'm not ignorant of laparascopy. It's a common procedure in our hospitals and I have records of dozens of my clients then that went through it. The damn surgery is on HMO plans.
Understand what we mean. It doesnt mean laparoscopic surgeries aren't done. Its the prevalence we are talking about. Example. Take a poll of hospitals in say, Lagos. Ask how many do laparoscopic procedures. Now check our teaching hospitals how many are equipped sufficiently for laparoscopic trainings.
Now you get
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by jaephoenix(m): 6:36pm On Jul 24, 2023
africanman85:
You have not been a victim of negligence. That's why u are talking that way or probably u are one of this doctors.
Define Medical Negligence?
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by jaephoenix(m): 6:50pm On Jul 24, 2023
ncoolsome:

So y do nigerians do better outside accedimically ??
Nigerians aren't the only ones doing well academically outside
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by jaephoenix(m): 6:51pm On Jul 24, 2023
NinjaMetahuman:
because it's not easy to become a doctor in Nigeria.

The process is rigorous unlike.foreign countries where anyone can become doctor as long as you have money.

You need big score in waec and jamb to even become doctors in naija. You just need big pocket to become one in most foreign countries..
Look at what this one is saying?
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by riczy(m): 7:10pm On Jul 24, 2023
Schooling is easier abroad than in Nigeria, u see someone who cudnt 150 in JAMB studying Medicine and Surgery abroad, hmmmmm. I had a student who failed Schl of Nursing entrance exam but secured admission into medical schl in UK, stricter measures shud be imbibed by this foreign Schls.
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by riczy(m): 7:10pm On Jul 24, 2023
jaephoenix:

Look at what this one is saying?
wat he said not a lie in totality!
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by africanman85: 8:35pm On Jul 24, 2023
jaephoenix:

Define Medical Negligence?
Your type of person is why Nigeria won't develope.
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by Jman06(m): 8:36pm On Jul 24, 2023
jaephoenix:

This is how you know somebody that doesn't know anything.
There are avenues for aggrieved patients and patient relatives to sue doctors and hospitals. In fact my hospital get regular lawsuits and most of them turn out to be frivolous or outright lies. Even this same MDCN entertains complaints from the general public about doctors. So quit bitching and get to court or MDCN if you are sure of what youre saying, instead of disturbing us.
The issue is doctors and hospitals have an oath of doctor patient confidentiality and so risk being struck off or liable if we expose many of these lies you guys tell on social media
We all know how you Nigerian evil medical doctors rarry round erring colleagues and pervert the course of Justice in the event that a patient suffers losses due to your negligence. That is why I suggested an independent avenue that will be devoid of your influence!

But as a typical Nigerian physician who's always under the illusion that he knows it all, you assumed that I'm ignorant of what obtains in our system. We all know that in most cases when patients try to sue erring doctors, y'all in cohort with NMA tend to thwart the course of justice through different means. Sometimes, you hide patients' folders or alter it in a bid to protect your colleagues.

As a matter of fact, we urgently need independent means of checking physicians' excesses and ensuring quality control in our healthcare system devoid of interference from NMA and other physicians-only groups. That is why many of us advocate for a change in the leadership of our hospitals!
Even if it is to elevate the current office of Director of administration, provided that a non-physician will take charge of overseeing the administration of the hospitals. It will definitely serve Nigerians better than what we have now. That is how hospitals are run in the developed countries and that is also why it is easier for patients to seek and get justice there!
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by d33types: 9:11pm On Jul 24, 2023
jaephoenix:

In fact our exam methodologies here are museum materials.
Yeah. My school had issues with MDCN then in 2005 cos non-physicians like lab scientists etc took up some posts like consultant hematologosts etc. There was serious beef with physicians and non physicians like lab scientists, pharmacists, nurses etc. MDCN just jumped in and discredited my school. And we just finished our final exams. Had to take this MDCN exam in ABUTH Zaria cry
Quite harrowing

Ooh. The famous Calabar Brouhaha. Was big news then
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by KarinaSlim(f): 11:02pm On Jul 24, 2023
They failed the exams or the examiners failed them so they won't Japa.
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by Antichristus: 12:52am On Jul 25, 2023
RECTEM:
It still amazes me why anyone would spend so much studying overseas,only to return to Nigeria to hustle for a licence to practice.

Penny wise,pound foolish venture
Universities in the Gambia, Congo, Sudan, Zimbabwe are all overseas institutions. Are they not?
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by Tundex911: 8:47am On Jul 25, 2023
Owo joo na
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by jaephoenix(m): 9:33am On Jul 25, 2023
updatechange:

The number 2 is exactly what I meant by Nigeria trained docs are better than their abroad trained ones.
Hmm. That's a whole bold claim. I'm Nigerian trained but I don't think I'm better than many foreign trained
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by ArewaNorth: 12:52pm On Jul 25, 2023
Zikson:
which Universities in Scotland?

Go and check previous warnings by NUC against some universities there!
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by denitro(m): 1:52pm On Jul 25, 2023
A US first class student will fail in the nigerian university,
The nigerian educational system is vomit as compared to most foreign universities.
Students cram themselves in lecture halls here listening to a lecturer who will be talking to themselves,
lecturers delight in failing students, the system is designed to be stressful.
A 3rd class student here will excel in the US, UK etc becos he has been built to operate under stress and once he finds himself
in a stress free environment, he will excel.
But a foreign student who has been built to operate in a stress free environment will fail woefully in the Nigerian stressful
education environment. It doesn't mean that the foreign student is bad, it is the environment that will make the
student to fail.

Foreign educational environment will make even the dullest student better while the Nigerian educational environment
can make the brightest student dumb.
My 2 cents
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by jaephoenix(m): 5:36pm On Jul 25, 2023
SSpeter:
I beg to differ cos the president said the exam is to test their "Basic" sciences and application, I guess at the fundamental level it doesn't matter if you studied in Iceland, infact most of medical text books you read are foreign
What they test is clinical knowledge and application. I have taken it before. It's like a regular final MBBS exam
Re: 529 Foreign-Trained Doctors Failed Medical Exam – MDCN by Adolak(m): 9:18pm On Jul 25, 2023
jaephoenix:

Hes a physician

Are you him?

Is he practicing in Nigeria?

I'm heading somewhere

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Decomposing Corpse Chases Patients Out Of Wards In Lagos Hospital / World Sleep Day 2018: When Last Did You Sleep For 7 To 8 Hours At Night? / COVID-19: NCDC Validates Viral RNA Extraction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.