Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,961 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:03 AM

Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State (13638 Views)

For The Igbos In EDO (igbanke) DELTA (anioma, Ukwuani, Ika, Enu'ani) And Rivers / Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day / The 6th Igbo State Must Be Anioma State- Igbodefender.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by lippyrat: 10:57am On Oct 09, 2011
A+
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by sylve11: 2:17pm On Oct 09, 2011
selfish reasons . . . cool
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by OmoTier1(m): 3:08pm On Oct 09, 2011
Going by the Federal Island Revenue Service report which revealed that all the states in Nigeria are only able to raise 3% of IGR of Nigeria, I think it will be foolhardy for anyone or a group to still be asking for the creation of more states!

I think these despotic, selfishly innate fading old generation should stop creating unnecessary controversy amongst the younger generation. 150years from today people will careless of which state they belong so long as the basics which guaranty upward social, economic and spiritual prosperity and wellbeing is there for them!
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by Relax101(m): 4:41pm On Oct 09, 2011
PhysicsQED:

I'm not Esan, but I do know from an argument/debate that I had on this forum earlier this year, that there is one group in an Esan area, besides Ekpon, that are Igbo in origin. I'll look through that thread again to see which group it is.

Alright, waiting.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by macjive01: 7:26pm On Oct 09, 2011
@ekt bear, region region region! Lagos state will NOT be part of any Yoruba SW region ! It will stand alone as an FCT. A no man's land!

No eating where u did not sow! . . Gen 1vs1

Now, let's get back to the argument of state creation.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by jason123: 7:34pm On Oct 09, 2011
macjive01:

@ekt bear, region region region! Lagos state will NOT be part of any Yoruba SW region ! It will stand alone as an FCT. A no man's land!

You go just kill yourself because as far as Nigeria and Nigerians are concerned, Lagos is part of the six southwestern states. We have an FCT which is Abuja and it's not considered as a state but Lagos is. I am sure you stay in Lagos, my advise to you is to kill as much Aworis as you can because as far as the Aworis are concerned, its their land.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by franko2: 8:11pm On Oct 09, 2011
its a pity it took so long for igbanke to see the light,but, like the prodigal son, ndi agbor should forgive and accept them back

but fact is, do we need more (unviable) state creations?

altho, i also think the wish of igbanke people should be accommodated within the ambit of a boundary adjustment between edo and delta state
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by Relax101(m): 9:49pm On Oct 09, 2011
I personally welcome the people of Igbanke into the proposed Anioma state.

Hip hip hip Hurray!!!!!!
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by ektbear: 10:13pm On Oct 09, 2011
macjive01:

You must be high as a kite

No point discussing with insane people
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by OCCULTIST(m): 3:39am On Oct 10, 2011
Please you people should have mercy and allow all Igbos come back to igboland no matter where they have been hiding or pretending to belong to another ethnic group,they have all regreted their actions by renouncing the Igbo Nation During Biafran Civil War,now that Nigeria will soon break up which real son of Igboland won't love to be Identify as BIAFRAN?
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by tpia5: 3:55am On Oct 10, 2011
if ogbemudia ran to onitsha them maybe he had people there.

did he fight on the biafran side during the war, or why was he wanted by the nigerian army.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by odumchi: 4:13am On Oct 10, 2011
Igbankes are people seeking for recognition in a possible new Igbo state. They are obviously a marginalized minority in Edo as it is. But as for Igbankes being of the same stock with Edo, I beg to differ. Igbankes are of the Ika-Igbo stock.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by udezue(m): 4:34am On Oct 10, 2011
Good Morning my Igbanke people. Its never too late for them to retrace their steps back to Igboland.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by Relax101(m): 6:09pm On Oct 10, 2011
tpia@:

if ogbemudia ran to onitsha them maybe he had people there.

did he fight on the biafran side during the war, or why was he wanted by the nigerian army.

Tpia the confusionist do come again o.
Carry your wahala go anoda tiredi.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by PhysicsQED(m): 6:46pm On Oct 10, 2011
Relax101:

Alright, waiting.

Went back and found out. The town called Inyele/Inyenlen in Esan Southeast LGA is of Igbo origin.

What were these Esan names that you came across that looked Igbo?
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by Relax101(m): 7:22pm On Oct 10, 2011
PhysicsQED:

Went back and found out. The town called Inyele/Inyenlen in Esan Southeast LGA is of Igbo origin.

They are actually Igbo names.

http://nigerianobservernews.com/29102010/news/news1.html

ESAN SOUTH EAST LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA

1. MR. ANDREW[b] AKHABUE[/b] - WARD 2 - CHAIRMAN
2. MRS. THERESA IGHEDOSA - WARD 1
3. MR. GABRIEL UKPEBOR - WARD 3
4. MR. JULIUS OKOH - WARD 4
5. MR. SOLOMON OYEDO - WARD 5
6. MR. CHARLES EDO - WARD 6
7. MR. EBHOJIE OSEREMHEN GREAT - WARD 7
8. MR. THOMAS ELIMHINGBE - WARD 8
9. MR. LUCKY OKAFOR - WARD 9
10 MR. EUGENE OKOH - WARD 10

Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by Relax101(m): 7:23pm On Oct 10, 2011
PhysicsQED:

Went back and found out. The town called[b] Inyele/Inyenlen[/b] in Esan Southeast LGA is of Igbo origin.

Sorry for asking much from you, do you have any link to the above, just want to glance through.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by PhysicsQED(m): 8:11pm On Oct 10, 2011
Relax101:

They are actually Igbo names.

ESAN SOUTH EAST LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA

1. MR. ANDREW[b] AKHABUE[/b] - WARD 2 - CHAIRMAN
2. MRS. THERESA IGHEDOSA - WARD 1
3. MR. GABRIEL UKPEBOR - WARD 3
4. MR. JULIUS OKOH - WARD 4
5. MR. SOLOMON OYEDO - WARD 5
6. MR. CHARLES EDO - WARD 6
7. MR. EBHOJIE OSEREMHEN GREAT - WARD 7
8. MR. THOMAS ELIMHINGBE - WARD 8
9. MR. LUCKY OKAFOR - WARD 9
10 MR. EUGENE OKOH - WARD 10

Okafor may have something to do with Inyenlen being in the same LGA.

Okoh, I'm not so sure about the exclusivity of that name. Okoh could just be an Esan variation on "Okor" which I think is a word found in some "Edoid" languages. However, I don't know the Esan language to be certain that it isn't indeed of non-Esan origin.

As for Akhabue, I'm almost 100% certain that that's an indigenous Esan name, not Igbo. In fact, if they pronounce the name anything like how a Bini would read it, the "kh" part would sound more like "h" because the"k" sound would not be emphasized but instead sound like it's meant to be nearly silent. This is not to say that they necessarily do pronounce the name like that, but at first glance I have to say that the name looks very very "Edoid".
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by PhysicsQED(m): 8:18pm On Oct 10, 2011
Relax101:

Sorry for asking much from you, do you have any link to the above, just want to glance through.

http://umuanioma.com/2011/06/594/
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by Relax101(m): 9:36pm On Oct 10, 2011
PhysicsQED:

Okafor may have something to do with Inyenlen being in the same LGA.

Okoh, I'm not so sure about the exclusivity of that name. Okoh could just be an Esan variation on "Okor" which I think is a word found in some "Edoid" languages. However, I don't know the Esan language to be certain that it isn't indeed of non-Esan origin.

As for[b] Akhabue[/b], I'm almost 100% certain that that's an indigenous Esan name, not Igbo. In fact, if they pronounce the name anything like how a Bini would read it, the "kh" part would sound more like "h" because the"k" sound would not be emphasized but instead sound like it's meant to be nearly silent. This is not to say that they necessarily do pronounce the name like that, but at first glance I have to say that the name looks very very "Edoid".

Do you have an idea of what the bold means in Esan language?
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by tpia5: 9:41pm On Oct 10, 2011
Most of those names look bini to me.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by udezue(m): 9:50pm On Oct 10, 2011
Okoh is Igbo.
We have Oko town in the SE.

Akhabue is also Igbo.
In central Igbo it will be Akabue or Akagbue.

Those names look Edoid or are spelled like that due to close proximity btwn those Igbo and Esan-Edo people.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by GAR3TH(m): 10:14pm On Oct 10, 2011
^^^one of my friends last name is kadun does that mean he is from kaduna? no, BTW he is ijaw

Last names are not the best way to figure out were someone is from, the best way to do it is to ask them. other than that its just speculation
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by udezue(m): 10:32pm On Oct 10, 2011
And who said last names are the only way to figure where someone is from? There are Igbos with Efik-Ibibio last names. My point here is that those names aren't that non-Igbo at all. The spelling makes them seem like that. Another thing ppl forget is that Central Igbo is different from specific Igbo dialects so some names are going to appear non-Igbo to ur average non-Igbo but we the fluent speakers can recognize it immediately.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by GAR3TH(m): 10:54pm On Oct 10, 2011
And my point is that it all speculation, you can only know what someone is by asking the person with the name. In other world its pretty pointless to speculate and its a waste of time. All humans are selfish and evil.hence why some people say the names sound bini and others say it sound igbo. people will always interpret things to benefit themselves and their ideology. if this was about a bad article everyone will deny the names. Like I said before its all speculation and those speculations are based on corrupt minds. Just ask them.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by Relax101(m): 11:43pm On Oct 10, 2011
GAR3TH:

And my point is that it all speculation, you can only know what someone is by asking the person with the name. In other world its pretty pointless to speculate and its a waste of time. All humans are selfish and evil.hence why some people say the names sound bini and others say it sound igbo. people will always interpret things to benefit themselves and their ideology. if this was about a bad article everyone will deny the names. Like I said before its all speculation and those speculations are based on corrupt minds. Just ask them.

The highlighted are very much Igbo. I dnt knw what to say about the rest of your stories.
I am not saying that they r Igbo. Dnt misquote moi o.

tpia@:

Most of those names look bini to me.

wetin u dey always dey talk.
Did I say the names are Igbo abi u blind to c the highlighted names?
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by udezue(m): 11:49pm On Oct 10, 2011
And what will I stand to gain if they were Igbo or not? I was totally fine growing up not knowing they were native Igbos in Edo state. I'm still fine now knowing that I do have kit and kin all the way on that side of Nigeria and Igbo land. I happen to come from a family with Ibibio last name and the last I checked I didn't see anything evil about Igbo person saying we are Igbo nor did I see anything selfish about an Efik-Ibibio recognizing that we do share same heritage with them as well.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by PhysicsQED(m): 1:59am On Oct 11, 2011
Relax101:

Do you have an idea of what the bold means in Esan language?

No. Like I said, I don't know the Esan language.

udezue:

Okoh is Igbo.
We have Oko town in the SE.

Like I said before, I'm extremely skeptical of claims about such a simple two syllable name being exclusive to any one group. This is kind of like claiming "ojo" is exclusive to Yorubas when we know that that's false.

Keep in mind that

a) "Oko" is a Bini word that can mean eminent; apparently it can also mean "comrade"
b) There is a town called Oko in one of the Esan LGAs: http://nigerianobservernews.com/06032009/news/insideedo/indexnews1.html
c) There are a legion of uses of "oko" in various Nigerian languages: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-582516.0.html#msg7512926
d)  Names like Okogie, Okosun, etc. make it very clear that the Esan have a word "oko", probably also meaning eminent, as suggested in the link immediately above
e) Okoh could just be a variation on okor, which is a name in some other Edoid languages

Given the above facts, I'd have to view the claim on "Okoh" being exclusive to Igbo as similar to the claim about "Ojo" being exclusive to Yoruba, or "Ala" being exclusive to only Igbo or Ijaw, unless an Esan speaker can come here and actually confirm that it's not an Esan name.

Akhabue is also Igbo.
In central Igbo it will be Akabue or Akagbue.

My point about the pronunciation of "kh" is that it would probably be incorrect to pronounce it as "k" when it might really sound more like "Ahabue" than "Akabue". Then again, I am not Esan, so I can't be certain how they would pronounce it. I still think the name is Esan and not Igbo. I remember there was another Esan name "Egbele" that one non-Igbo and non-Esan poster on this forum confused with the Igbo name "Ebele" in one thread. I am very sure that Egbele does not  mean "mercy" in Esan (http://www.google.com/search?q=Emhinh+erebhe+ne+ribhi+omh%E1%BB%8Dn+ti+egbele+itata&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a) regardless of whether "gb" is pronounced like "b" or not, so that is one example of a coincidence in appearance without one single origin for a word.

Also, the name Osakwe (Osa (Olisa) + kwe) and Osakue (Osa (Osanobua) + kue) between Igbo and Bini is a similar example.

Also the word "Okoro" is another example: http://www.edo-nation.net/okoro.htm
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by Ogbuefi11: 11:13am On Oct 15, 2011
1)This is very good. At last Igbanke people are beginning to send the message across.They are not Benins and can never be. In this democratic dispensation I expect a referendum to be conducted in the community and we can confirm whose camp is in the majority in the town.The camp of the pretenders who in quest of certain traditional titles from the Oba are ready to "sell" their people and the other camp which represents the aspiration of the Igbanke people.No matter how long you oppress the truth , you will always be confronted by it .The principal reason the Benins claim Igbanke is political . Igbanke is large (over 44,000 in the 2006 census) and that adds to the scantily populated Orhionmwon which they claim accords them "majority status" in Edo State.
It is funny for any sane person to compare Igbanke to Ozanogogo , customary tenants of the Agbor kingdom whose size is not evn up to one of the six primary divisions of Igbanke. Ok I accept Ozanogogo can go to Benin but not just for Igbanke an independent clan but also for other Ika settlements in areas identified as Benin territory and to this category are such towns like Iru, Igbogiri and Owa-Obanosa.With these adjustments made I think it will settle once and for all boundary issues with the Benin in that axis leaving us with the unresolved dispute along the Ethiope river.

2)I left the other thread because it became boring especially when I discovered that I was debating with a "student" that has the whole time in the world to write on nairaland. I am not idle; I work and earn money and there goes the saying "time na money". This is a very busy period of the year with the kind of work I do.I will need to go back to my materials, read them and go through some books and it takes time and this is poor time management . Let me emphasize here that I did not leave the thread for anyone. Definitely not me. In fact I will a bit freer towards the end of the year and will continue from where I stopped.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by Afam4eva(m): 11:41am On Oct 15, 2011
I just hope all these people that disclaim Igbo will not give us a problem in the south-east. Instead we should include people that are proud Igbos from the Asaba, Ibusa area and the fake azz Ika people should remain in Delta and Edo states. kpatakpata, a referendum should be conducted.
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by ak47mann(m): 11:50am On Oct 15, 2011
afam4eva:

I just hope all these people that disclaim Igbo will not give us a problem in the south-east. Instead we should include people that are proud Igbos from the Asaba, Ibusa area and the fake azz Ika people should remain in Delta and Edo states. kpatakpata, a referendum should be conducted.
am behind you
Re: Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State by AndreUweh(m): 1:53pm On Oct 15, 2011
afam4eva:

Those who disclaim Igbo are in the minority. Ogbuefi1 is an Ika and a proud Igbo. He has been to many conferences where he has advocated for Igbo unity. His likes are the people we should look up to. He is a light to Igbo race.
From the way they go about Igbo denial in the internet, you will think it is as such in real life. In 2008, Agbor Progressive Union U.K chapter conducted a survey about their identity. 65% said Igbo; 20% said sort of and about 15% said not so sure. Moreover, Akumazi, Igbodo and some towns close to Igbodo are very proud Igbo people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Hadi Sirika Shuns Buhari’s Directive On Boards’ Inauguration, 2 Years After / FG Spends N13tn On Subsidy, Sets Removal Guidelines / Military Operations Already Yielding Results – Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.