Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,989 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:54 AM

Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. (6477 Views)

There Will Surely Be A Rerun And Obi Has The Advantage / Inec To Conduct Runoff Election Between Pdp & Other Parties In Zamfara / Adeleke Win Rerun And Be Disqualfied In Court Forgery And Exam Malpractices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by Penguin2: 2:05pm On Jul 27, 2023
Since the idea of a possible rerun of the presidential election started getting muted in the public space, the contribution and comments of a lot of people, especially here on Nairaland, has betrayed their deficient knowledge of the difference between rerun and runoff elections. That’s why I considered it necessary to make the clarification between what the two provisions mean.

What is a Rerun Election?

Rerun election means to conduct the election all over again. It means the first one was invalid and a new one should be done that should cure whatever anomaly observed in the first one.

In a rerun election, all political parties and candidates who participate in the first are allowed to contest again except any candidate disqualified by the tribunal.

Take note that this is what Atiku and Peter Obi are asking of the Tribunal in the event that neither of them is declared outright winner of the polls. They also seek the disqualification of Tinubu which would make it impossible for him to take part in a possible rerun.

What is a Runoff Election?

Straight to the point, a runoff election is conducted between two candidates. This is usually done when no candidate satisfies all the requirements necessary to be declared the outright winner after the first ballot.

According to Nigerian Constitution, when it comes to the presidential election, a runoff election should be declared between the candidate with highest number of votes cast (simple majority) but failed to get the spread, and the candidate that won the most state.

To bring the above into perspective, supposing there was to be a runoff election after the Presidential election in February, it would have been between Tinubu (who won simple majority) and either of Obi or Atiku (it would have problematic because they both won 12 states each. But I think the constitution made further provision in case of such scenario).

Now, take note that none of the petitioners are asking the Tribunal for a runoff election. This is because the Tribunal has no power to order a runoff election. What the Tribunal can do is to either return a new winner or invalidate the entire election and order a rerun with all candidates participating; except anyone is disqualified.

Only INEC has the power to determine or call for a runoff election, not the courts.

So, I hope this cures the ignorance of the people who have held erroneous understanding of what rerun means, with some going to the extent of suggesting the two candidates that would make the rerun.

Nlfpmod
Mynd44

I think this might be helpful to educate a lot of people who don’t understand the differences between these two concepts.

35 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by Racoon(m): 2:07pm On Jul 27, 2023
The most despicable criminal person most likely to be disqualified is well known to sane humanity across the world.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by ChukwukaEze: 2:14pm On Jul 27, 2023
Seems BAT will continue his tenure anyway

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by iluvdonjazzy: 2:18pm On Jul 27, 2023
Ok, but it's seems either will still favour Tinubu.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by Tntsi: 2:21pm On Jul 27, 2023
Run off, re-run, disqualification etc.

Nigeria is on the edge of total collaspe and all hands must be on deck to salvage Nigeria from the hand of illegitimacy, unconstitutionality and fraud.

Nigeria cannot survive what is on ground now.
Nigeria cannot survive the old Nigeria.

The lordships must for the sake of Nigeria, give themselves to do the right thing and ensure that the right thing before God and constitution of the federal Nigeria is done.

8 Likes

Re: Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by chatinent: 2:24pm On Jul 27, 2023
A rerun or a runoff?

My opinion? Sell the country. I need my stipend.

1 Like

Re: Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by helinues: 2:27pm On Jul 27, 2023
While upheld meaning is entirely different from the 2

7 Likes

Re: Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by fortunateme: 2:27pm On Jul 27, 2023
If and when Tinubu is disqualified, the runoff will be between Atiku and Obi. Akpabio can be the acting president cos he is next in line to the throne.

4 Likes

Re: Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by wegevv: 2:36pm On Jul 27, 2023
Penguin2:
Since the idea of a possible rerun of the presidential election started getting muted in the public space, the contribution and comments of a lot of people, especially here on Nairaland, has betrayed their deficient knowledge of the difference between rerun and runoff elections. That’s why I considered it necessary to make the clarification between what the two provisions mean.

Rerun election means to conduct the election all over again. It means the first one was invalid and a new one should be done that should cure whatever anomaly observed in the first one.

In a rerun election, all political parties and candidates who participate in the first are allowed to contest again except any candidate disqualified by the tribunal.

Take note that this is what Atiku and Peter Obi are asking of the Tribunal in the event that neither of them is declared outright winner of the polls. They also seek the disqualification of Tinubu which would make it impossible for him to take part in a possible rerun.

Straight to the point, a runoff election is conducted between two candidates. This is usually done when no candidate satisfies all the requirements necessary to be declared the outright winner after the first ballot.

According to Nigerian Constitution, when it comes to the presidential election, a runoff election should be declared between the candidate with highest number of votes cast (simple majority) but failed to get the spread, and the candidate that won the most state.

To bring the above into perspective, supposing there was to be a runoff election after the Presidential election in February, it would have been between Tinubu (who won simple majority) and either of Obi or Atiku (it would have problematic because they both won 12 states each. But I think the constitution made further provision in case of such scenario).

Now, take note that none of the petitioners are asking the Tribunal for a runoff election. This is because the Tribunal has no power to order a runoff election. What the Tribunal can do is to either return a new winner or invalidate the entire election and order a rerun with all candidates participating; except anyone is disqualified.

Only INEC has the power to determine or call for a runoff election, not the courts.

So, I hope this cures the ignorance of the people who have held erroneous understanding of what rerun means, with some going to the extent of suggesting the two candidates that would make the rerun.

Nlfpmod
Mynd44

I think this might be helpful to educate a lot of people who don’t understand the differences between these two concepts.

Nicely explained but one question:

If, for example, the tribunal rules that 25% is required in FCT but dismisses all other prayers won’t they in effect be calling for a runoff?

1 Like

Re: Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by duro4chang(m): 2:41pm On Jul 27, 2023
wegevv:

If, for example, the tribunal rules that 25% is required in FCT but dismisses all other prayers won’t they in effect be calling for a runoff?
No rerun, refly, rejump, runoff. Election will stand

8 Likes

Re: Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by Amumaigwe: 2:47pm On Jul 27, 2023
Penguin2:

Nlfpmod
Mynd44

@Only INEC has the power to determine or call for a runoff election, not the courts.

Who interprets the law made for run-off elections if not the courts? So if the courts rule that a concluded election should go into run-off based on the provisions of the law, the INEC will be at liberty to disagree?

Because of the fear of the inevitable, you people have already started reasoning with your shitholes.

1 Like

Re: Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by Zxcvbnmghtr: 2:51pm On Jul 27, 2023
grin

After telling us the difference between President Elect and President and how Tinubu will not become President. Now that he has become President, their confusion now is the difference between Rerun and a Run off lol. grin

Every one should look forward to more twisting after the Tribunal up holds Tinubu's victory. wink

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by seunmsg(m): 3:04pm On Jul 27, 2023
Tribunal has no power to order a runoff election. What the Tribunal can do is to either return a new winner or invalidate the entire election and order a rerun with all candidates participating; except anyone is disqualified.

The part highlighted in bold is just Blablabla blu. Absolute gibberish.

There is nothing like runoff in the constitution. What we have is a second ballot/election if there is no clear winner in the first election.

Rerun and runoff are mere semantics. The election will never be cancelled so there is no need for another election or rerun as you labelled it in your own language. There is no ground whatsoever for cancelling the election.

The only ground for a second ballot/election is if the court agreed that 25% in FCT is compulsory. In that case, the second election will be between Tinubu and Atiku. Any other interpretation you’re trying to give is nonsense.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by wegevv: 3:04pm On Jul 27, 2023
duro4chang:
No rerun, refly, rejump, runoff. Election will stand

Okay sir

But I want to learn more about our laws if you don't mind? Thank you sir ❤️

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by Penguin2: 3:12pm On Jul 27, 2023
wegevv:

If they agree that 25% is necessary in the FCT, what they would do is just to invalidate Tinubu’s declaration for not meeting the spread.

Depending on other rulings of the court (like if they agree that Peter Obi won Rivers and Benue), INEC would now determine the two candidates that should go into a runoff election.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by Penguin2: 3:24pm On Jul 27, 2023
chatinent:
A rerun or a runoff?

My opinion? Sell the country. I need my stipend.
🤣🤣🤣

You no get joy o
Re: Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by Penguin2: 3:34pm On Jul 27, 2023
seunmsg:

The part highlighted in bold is just Blablabla blu. Absolute gibberish.

There is nothing like runoff in the constitution. What we have is a second ballot/election if there is no clear winner in the first election.

Rerun and runoff are mere semantics. The election will never be cancelled so there is no need for another election or rerun as you labelled it in your own language. There is no ground whatsoever for cancelling the election.

The only ground for a second ballot/election is if the court agreed that 25% in FCT is compulsory. In that case, the second election will be between Tinubu and Atiku. Any other interpretation you’re trying to give is nonsense.
Lol!

On what grounds will the second ballot be between Tinubu and Atiku, and not Tinubu and Obi?

1 Like

Re: Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by helinues: 3:38pm On Jul 27, 2023
Penguin2:

If they agree that 25% is necessary in the FCT, what they would do is just to invalidate Tinubu’s declaration for not meeting the spread.

Depending on other rulings of the court (like if they agree that Peter Obi won Rivers and Benue), INEC would now determine the two candidates that should go into a runoff election.

What makes FCT voters votes to be superior than other states votes in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by CannibalTorment: 3:42pm On Jul 27, 2023
There wouldn't be rerun or runoff election, no man born out of woman or even evil spirit like Peter girigory Obi can unseat Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Adekunle Tinubu Jagaban the Eze-Chukwu of Igbo land

4 Likes

Re: Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by seunmsg(m): 3:42pm On Jul 27, 2023
Penguin2:

Lol!

On what grounds will the second ballot be between Tinubu and Atiku, and not Tinubu and Obi?

Show me where the constitution said runoff when no one meets the requirements to be retuned elected as president and I will delete this account.

2, if the court agrees that 25% in FCT is compulsory, then FCT is not treated like a state so Peter Obi’s states falls to 11 and not 12.

Again, the constitution said the second candidate will be the candidate that has the next highest votes in all the states. Atiku has the next highest votes after Tinubu in 21 states while Obi has in 16 states. Anyhow the law is interpreted, Obi will not be on the ballot if there is a second election.

8 Likes

Re: Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by garfield1: 4:02pm On Jul 27, 2023
Penguin2:

Lol!

Jackson ude says hi
Re: Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by Ttalk: 4:16pm On Jul 27, 2023
seunmsg:

Show me where the constitution said runoff when no one meets the requirements to be retuned elected as president and I will delete this account.

2, if the court agrees that 25% in FCT is compulsory, then FCT is not treated like a state so Peter Obi’s states falls to 11 and not 12.

Again, the constitution said the second candidate will be the candidate that has the next highest votes in all the states. Atiku has the next highest votes after Tinubu in 21 states while Obi has in 16 states. Anyhow the law is interpreted, Obi will not be on the ballot if there is a second election.

Succinct. Oya Penguin come and twist your narrative again
Re: Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by Novarisammy2: 4:36pm On Jul 27, 2023
garfield1:

Jackson ude says hi

the same Jackson use that said APC is bribing the judges and also said that APC is already preparing for a rerun ?

I guess we should believe that too

2 Likes

Re: Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by Novarisammy2: 4:45pm On Jul 27, 2023
seunmsg:

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) is already making plansj to conduct a second presidential election in 2023 in case there is no clear winner after the February 25, 2023 poll.
This is just as it affirmed that a candidate can come third in the presidential election and be the one e qualified for the run-off.
The electoral body has made plans to print
double the total number of ballot papers required
for the first ballot.

culled from Nigerian tribune
18th November, 2022

1 Like

Re: Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by Novarisammy2: 4:50pm On Jul 27, 2023
seunmsg:

(4) In default of a candidate duly elected under
the foregoing subsections, the Independent
National Electoral Commission shall within seven
days of the result of the election held under the
said subsections, arrange for an election between
the two candidates and a candidate at such
election shall be deemed elected to the office of
President if -
(a) he has a majority of votes cast at the
election; and
(b) he has not less than one-quarter of the votes
cast at the election in each of at least two-thirds
of all the States in the Federation and the
Federal Capital Territory, Abuja
(5) In default of a candidate duly elected under
subsection (4) of this section, the Independent
National Electoral Commission shall, within
seven days of the result of the election held
under the aforesaid subsection (4), arrange for
another election between the two candidates to
which the subsection relates and a candidate at
such election shall be deemed to have been duly
elected to the office of President, if he has a
majority of the votes cast at the election.
Section 134 of the Constitution of the Federal
Republic of Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by seunmsg(m): 4:58pm On Jul 27, 2023
Novarisammy2:

(4) In default of a candidate duly elected under
the foregoing subsections, the Independent
National Electoral Commission shall within seven
days of the result of the election held under the
said subsections, arrange for an election between
the two candidates and a candidate at such
election shall be deemed elected to the office of
President if -
(a) he has a majority of votes cast at the
election; and
(b) he has not less than one-quarter of the votes
cast at the election in each of at least two-thirds
of all the States in the Federation and the
Federal Capital Territory, Abuja
(5) In default of a candidate duly elected under
subsection (4) of this section, the Independent
National Electoral Commission shall, within
seven days of the result of the election held
under the aforesaid subsection (4), arrange for
another election between the two candidates to
which the subsection relates and a candidate at
such election shall be deemed to have been duly
elected to the office of President, if he has a
majority of the votes cast at the election.
Section 134 of the Constitution of the Federal
Republic of Nigeria

What exactly is your point? Are you here to help Penguin2 point out where runoff and rerun was used in the constitution or you want to prove how Peter Obi will be on the ballot if there is a second election?

1 Like

Re: Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by Novarisammy2: 5:01pm On Jul 27, 2023
seunmsg:

a second vote or competition that is held to find a winner because two people taking part in the first competition got the same result
• She won 55% of the votes in the run-off.
• to hold a run-off vote

source: oxford advanced learner's dictionary

1 Like

Re: Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by QGist(m): 5:04pm On Jul 27, 2023
fortunateme:
If and when Tinubu is disqualified, the runoff will be between Atiku and Obi. Akpabio can be the acting president cos he is never in line to the throne.

You didn't still learn, you used disqualified and still put Runoff, you should have said rerun.
Re: Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by Novarisammy2: 5:05pm On Jul 27, 2023
seunmsg:

love

What exactly is your point? Are you here to help Penguin2 point out where rerubgn was used in the constitution or you want to prove how Peter Obi will be on the ballot if there is a second election?

an extra vote to decide who wins an
election or competition because there
is no clear winner after the first vote,
often one in which candidates or
competitors with the fewest votes are
no longer included: In a run-off for the
presidency

Cambridge dictionary definition of runoff
Re: Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by Novarisammy2: 5:07pm On Jul 27, 2023
seunmsg post=12469911

2:

What exactly is your point? Are you here to help Penguin2 point out where runoff and rerun was used in the constitution or you want to prove how Peter Obi will be on the ballot if there is a second election?

runoff and second ballot are the same thing
Re: Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. by seunmsg(m): 5:08pm On Jul 27, 2023
Novarisammy2:

a second vote or competition that is held to find a winner because two people taking part in the first competition got the same result
• She won 55% of the votes in the run-off.
• to hold a run-off vote

source: oxford advanced learner's dictionary

Semantics like i told you before. A second election is a second election. I don’t need Oxford dictionary to know the meaning of a second election as stated in the constitution.

Like I told you before, the FCT issue is the only one that can lead to a second election and if that’s the case, it will be between Tinubu and Atiku. Head or tail, Peter Obi is out.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is Aljazeera's Mission In Nigeria? / Buhari Is Winner- Supporters Gullible / Massive IPOB Protest Today In Austria (picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.