Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,036 members, 7,810,842 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:45 PM

Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija (76173 Views)

See The Road I Saw In Orlu Imo State Today - Photos / What I Saw in DOWNTOWN, Los Angeles / Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by sukkot: 9:34am On Jul 31, 2023
So this is a very strange story which I think about till this day.

It was October 1st 2019 and I am coming to Nigeria with Lufthansa from Manchester and the stopover is Frankfurt. And so we get to Frankfurt and we had to ride this trolley tram bus thingy to our terminal.

That’s where I saw this character. He was sat in front of me clutching a small handbag. That’s all he had On him. His eyes looked cold and dead like someone who has seen everything there is to see in life and he had checked out of humanity. He had like a long Islam goatee. Young guy, maybe early thirties. He sat there and clutched his bag and stared with that dead empty look. He wasn’t being deported. He was on a voluntary journey of his own. I watched him for a little while but then we got to the terminal and alighted and I never saw him again.

I took the flight to naija. Got the cab at the airport and started the journey to the Airbnb I had booked in magodo. It was an evening and up in the sky were stork birds and eagles and the atmosphere was dusty looking as the sun was setting. So as I was in the car on the express about 3 miles away from the airport I saw someone climbing the dividers of the express way and trying to cross over to the other side to the bus stop to catch a bus , I adjusted my eyes very well and guess who it was? It was the strange guy who sat in front of me on the tram-bus in Frankfurt. He had absolutely no luggage with him. He had just the same small bag I saw him with and he was in the same clothes

Till today I always wonder what that guys story is . Did he actually walk out voluntarily on his own out of Frankfurt with a tiny bag and walk into the streets of ojota with nothing but the same bag and dangerously crossing the expressway ? Was he remote controlled into Nigeria ? It’s a very strange episode. I think of that guy to this day

110 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by Curse777: 9:37am On Jul 31, 2023
cool

Village people cookings

While growing up something similar happened to a friend's father.. he worked as FG worker, resigned and travelled in the early 1990s, he was sending in cars and all, after a while he secretly tried to marry another wife and relocate her... That was when his wife got him back home without anything

Again I remember my own first Japa experience, Got a Job a 5 star hotel in UAE, Free food, free accomodation average salary, and I was just fresh out of the university, Travel agent wants me to have travel experience so I paid good money

I worked 3months straight nightshift, no sleeping

3months straight no off days Mondays to Monday no break

Indian Boss yelling at you, Arab boss fighting you

8 to 12 hours standing on your feet

No friends as everyone were busy working to send money home

At a point I completely zombified, and blacked out, my mind was completely off

Apart for Vacation abroad, Nigeria remains the best country ever if you get good source of income..

580 Likes 42 Shares

Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by youngsahito(m): 9:38am On Jul 31, 2023
Maybe they have used Africa charm to drag him home.

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by illicit(m): 9:47am On Jul 31, 2023
grin

He is probably a bird

Drug trafficker wink

105 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by finallybusy: 11:12am On Jul 31, 2023
Many reasons. Many, many reasons.

1. Drug trafficker who was one step from getting caught. He had to “run back to his village” as Nigerians are prone to after committing crimes.

2. Naija boy who got mixed with a foreign woman. She kicked him out of his house with nothing but the handbag he held. All his belongings are in the country under her control. He mentally lost his will and came back home where men control everything.

3. Yahoo boy who felt his juju was about to run out. No time for unnecessary load. Come home, get it renewed then return.

4. A struggling Nigerian who decided to visit home. No time to form anything unnecessary. Stay home for about a month or two then return to the brutal life of menial jobs in obodo oyibo.

5. A Nigerian wanted for a crime. We’ve seen idiots repeatedly run home after committing crimes. Burna boy too. The long arm of the law may catch him eventually.

6. A relative was terminally ill. No be belongings the person go chop when physical presence is the main koko.

My favourite which normally happens to Nairalanders.

7. Civilization nearly killed him. Having all the amenities of a working nation overwhelmed him. He couldn’t stand a soft life. Struggle is hard-coded in his DNA.

251 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by Mindlog: 1:17pm On Jul 31, 2023
Just reminded me a case of young man in his early 20s, left his hostel in Birmingham (UK). took a bus to Birmingham international airport with just his wallet, international passport and a flight ticket he printed in his room. His fellow students who saw him leave the hostel, thought he was going to get groceries.....11hrs later, he was knocking at his parents gate past midnight. His family was shocked, he requested a room should be prepared for him that he was feeling sleepy, he locked himself in that room for 4 days without coming out though en-suite but he didn't eat nor communicated with anyone.

The family being an influential one, had to be hush about it. It was the consultant psychiatrist where I worked, that was called in and got him to open the door and the guy looked like something else, it took so much experience to get him come over to our facility to be admitted. It was a very complicated diagnosis and he was established to be struggling with schizoaffective disorder and the 4 months he was in the facility was hair-raising. sad sad sad

181 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by Sweetvie: 3:28pm On Jul 31, 2023
When your mental health is at risk.

29 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jul 31, 2023
It happens... Sometimes we come to realise that all the struggle and hustle are all for what!!! Nothing but chasing after the wind. I have experienced something similar to this before.

Some years ago I was working with a very big firm(Deliotte). I was paid a fantastic salary, allowances etc. But one day I came back home and decided right there that I was leaving the job because I felt so empty. So I resigned!! My family thought I was mad or something but for me I needed peace!!

272 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by sacajawea: 7:28pm On Jul 31, 2023
finallybusy:

5. A Nigerian wanted for a crime. We’ve seen idiots repeatedly run home after committing crimes. Burna boy too. The long arm of the law may catch him eventually.
What did burna Boy do?
Where and when?

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by sacajawea: 7:30pm On Jul 31, 2023
finallybusy:

7. Civilization nearly killed him. Having all the amenities of a working nation overwhelmed him. He couldn’t stand a soft life. Struggle is hard-coded in his DNA.
I've literally never heard of this one
I feel no way... you are making it up.
Absolutely no way, except older retired people

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by Ishilove: 7:37pm On Jul 31, 2023
Opurumiri:
It happens... Sometimes we come to realise that all the struggle and hustle are all for what!!! Nothing but chasing after the wind. I have experienced something similar to this before.

Some years ago I was working with a very big firm(Deliotte). I was paid a fantastic salary, allowances etc. But one day I came back home and decided right there that I was leaving the job because I felt so empty. So I resigned!! My family thought I was mad or something but for me I needed peace!!
How have you been coping since then?

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by Minsk24: 10:25pm On Jul 31, 2023
Interesting

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by 1Sharon(f): 10:26pm On Jul 31, 2023
Could be a fugitive.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by wiseone28: 10:38pm On Jul 31, 2023
No comment till i have experience

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by Harrykn: 10:40pm On Jul 31, 2023
Ishilove:

How have you been coping since then?
Same question. I’ve seen similar situations but then, they started part and accessories business, live a free and easy lifestyle, creates public recognition and participation in community events.

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jul 31, 2023
So many things that happen in this world will shock you, the will and zeal to continue to exist after terrible experiences can only be from God.

91 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by MemoriesAndMe: 11:21pm On Jul 31, 2023
He may have chosen to come to Nigeria that way because he may not need to bring anything with him. Some people are business-men and business-women - they travel around the world, buy all the items they need for their businesses and ship them to Nigeria or other countries through courier services or containers on ships.

I used to travel to Nigeria with so much stuff, sometimes paying for excess luggage.

When I realized I ended up giving almost everything I brought to different random people even from MMA - the level of extortion and begging there is outrageous, I simply stopped doing that.

I chose to ship all the stuff I need in my house down to Nigeria and already waiting for me, then I just fly with a small carry-on or even nothing atimes since I already shipped everything needed there.

Some people ship their items in containers to Nigeria ahead of them coming, so no need taking anything with you on a flight.

Saves u the stress at the airports, especially from the Nigerian airport rats that keep harassing and extorting everyone flying into the country right from the airport.

103 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by DodadaKoKigbe: 1:37am On Aug 01, 2023
Behold these idiots below repeating the lies that your Arab and European masters tell you about your culture. Any bad thing that happen to you is because of the people in the 'village.' Meaning, the people that gave you life are the same people that want to destroy your life. The fact that you believe this nonsense, is enough reason to shed tears for your low iq and lack of common sense. The foolish foreign imported religions of Christianity and Islam has rot your brains beyond redemption.

Curse777:
Village people cookings.

youngsahito:

26 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by gnykelly(m): 3:44am On Aug 01, 2023
MemoriesAndMe:
He may have chosen to come to Nigeria that way because he may not need to bring anything with him.

I used to travel to Nigeria with so much stuff, sometimes paying for excess luggage, when I realized I ended up giving almost everything I brought to different random people, I simply stopped doing that. I chose to ship all the stuff I need in my house and already waiting for me, then I just fly with a small carry-on or even nothing atimes since I already shipped everything needed for the house.

Saves u the stress at the airports, especially from the Nigerian airport rats that keep harassing everyone flying into the country.

Rich kid.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by MemoriesAndMe: 5:57am On Aug 01, 2023
gnykelly:

Rich kid.

Not really.

Everyone just weighs his or her possible options. Not everything has to accompany you on your flight when you have an option of shipping them.
Sometimes it's just cheaper to ship ur items than traveling with them.

It depends, if you have a lot of items, just ship them through a courier service.
Depending on the courier service u're using and how heavy your items are, you may just end up paying $100- $400 to ship your stuff to Nigeria and avoid the headaches involved in dragging luggage through airports / renting and pushing trolleys through airports. Also, missing luggage is something to think about too.

Some celebrities do same if they have so much stuff to move for their trips/concerts - courier the heavy ones and simply carry the little travel items with the important things they need for their flights, like passports etc. Even many Nigerian business men and business women ship their items to Nigeria, and don't have to worry about carrying luggage. They can simply walk out of the airports with just their purses or wallet, no need for luggage - everything is already in their homes.

Some trips are tiring already - especially those with multiple stops in various countries -so simply walking to your waiting transportation from the airport in your final destination is relief in my opinion.

Most international Airlines allow 2 luggage weighing 50lb each (roughly 23kg for countries that use Kg as the measuring standard) with your ticket, anything excess attracts extra luggage fees, so some people just prefer shipping their items if it's past that threshold. Sometimes your items are already in your home before you even get to Nigeria.

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by sukkot: 6:31am On Aug 01, 2023
1Sharon:
Could be a fugitive.
thats another angle to view it

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by sukkot: 6:37am On Aug 01, 2023
MemoriesAndMe:

Not really, some times it's just cheaper to ship ur items. Depending on the courier service u're using, you may just end up paying $300- $400 to ship your stuff to Nigeria and avoid the headaches involved in dragging luggage through airports.
its a good practice. i would look into it. i hate carrying heavy luggage

12 Likes

Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by sukkot: 6:38am On Aug 01, 2023
youngsahito:
grin
Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by sukkot: 6:39am On Aug 01, 2023
finallybusy:

1. Drug trafficker who was one step from getting caught. He had to “run back to his village” as Nigerians are prone to after committing crimes.

2. Naija boy who got mixed with a foreign woman. She kicked him out of his house with nothing but the handbag he held. All his belongings are in the country under her control. He mentally lost his will and came back home where men control everything.

3. Yahoo boy who felt his juju was about to run out. No time for unnecessary load, come home, get it renewed then return.

4. A struggling Nigerian who decided to visit home. No time to form anything unnecessary. Stay home for about a month or two then return to the brutal life of menial jobs in obodo oyibo.

6. A relative was terminally ill. No be belongings the person go chop when physical presence is the main koko.

hmmm very strong points

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by sukkot: 6:41am On Aug 01, 2023
Mindlog:
Just reminded me a case of young man in his early 20s, left his hostel in Birmingham (UK). took a bus to Birmingham international airport with just his wallet, international passport and a flight ticket he printed in his room. His fellow students who saw him leave the hostel, thought he was going to get groceries.....11hrs later, he was knocking at his parents gate past midnight. His family was shocked, he requested a room should be prepared for him that he was feeling sleeping, he locked himself in that room for 4 days without coming out though en-suite but he didn't eat nor communicated with anyone.

The family being an influential one, had to be hush about it. It was the consultant psychiatrist where I worked, that was called in and got him to open the door and the guy looked like something else, it took so much experience to get him come over to our facility to be admitted. It was a very complicated diagnosis and he was established to be struggling with schizoaffective disorder and the 4 months he was in the facility was hair-raising. sad sad sad
wow thats a crazy story. things are happening in this world. did he get better ?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by Mindlog: 7:43am On Aug 01, 2023
sukkot:
wow thats a crazy story. things are happening in this world. did he get better ?

Yes, he got better (there is no cure for it) as it was being well managed with a mix of psychotropic medication and psychotherapy but he never returned back to the UK as UK weather was one of his triggering factors, the sunlight there was not enough for him.

82 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by sharpwriter(m): 7:59am On Aug 01, 2023
finallybusy:

Your number 5. Burna boy keh, what did burna boy do?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by sharpwriter(m): 8:59am On Aug 01, 2023
Mindlog:
Just reminded me a case of young man in his early 20s, left his hostel in Birmingham (UK). took a bus to Birmingham international airport with just his wallet, international passport and a flight ticket he printed in his room. His fellow students who saw him leave the hostel, thought he was going to get groceries.....11hrs later, he was knocking at his parents gate past midnight. His family was shocked, he requested a room should be prepared for him that he was feeling sleeping, he locked himself in that room for 4 days without coming out though en-suite but he didn't eat nor communicated with anyone.

Hmmmm... Wàhálà dey ó shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by Curse777: 9:54am On Aug 01, 2023
sharpwriter:

Your number 5. Burna boy keh, what did burna boy do?

He stab someone in UK

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by Curse777: 9:56am On Aug 01, 2023
DodadaKoKigbe:
Behold these idiots below repeating the lies that your Arab and European masters tell you about your culture. Any bad thing that happen to you is because of the people in the 'village.' Meaning, the people that gave you life are the same people that want to destroy your life. The fact that you believe this nonsense, is enough reason to shed tears for your low iq and lack of common sense. The foolish foreign imported religions of Christianity and Islam has rot your brains beyond redemption.

Lunatic dey form woke

Lol

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by ednut1(m): 9:58am On Aug 01, 2023
Pissed off gang members or drug cartel. So dey maintain low profile

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija by Gerrard59(m): 3:15pm On Aug 01, 2023
finallybusy:

3. Yahoo boy who felt his juju was about to run out. No time for unnecessary load, come home, get it renewed then return.

7. Civilization nearly killed him. Having all the amenities of a working nation overwhelmed him. He couldn’t stand a soft life. Struggle is hard-coded in his DNA

All possibilities but the bold wins it!

11 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Bull Wandering On Third Mainland Bridge In Lagos Today (Photos) / The Content Of The Snack Pack Arik Air Gives Passengers In Economy Class / Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.