Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,772 members, 7,817,147 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:08 AM

Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. (6409 Views)

Decent Villages In Southeast Nigeria / Femi Adesina: Southeast Nigeria Residents Are Tired Of Being IPOB's Slaves / Marwa Alleges Plan To Manipulate Election Results In Southeast, South South (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by JOemmy(m): 9:10pm On Aug 02, 2023
EmperorCaesar:

Why do they envy u and on what basis?

How do people who dont even move enough to your region to know much about u, envy u

Its like saying the South African/UK people hate Nigerians when in reality they do not even come down here to know much about us

But being the logically handicapped igbo person that u are, You cant be bright enough to think that way cheesy cheesy cheesy

Ur politics and propaganda shows ur envy for igbos.
Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by KwuoteYourFada: 1:31am On Aug 03, 2023
Omoawoke2:

You are correct to a large extent.

But GDP can be very biased.

It doesn’t show income distribution, as long as GDP is concerned, 99% of the population can be in poverty while just 1% are billionaires which will raise the GDP of that particular nation.

And IGR alone is not gotten from companies, in fact personal income tax normally make up the highest percentage in IGR. And who are they taxing? Goats or humans?

So when analyzing the true state of a nation, use all the data available to make your predictions

From the GDP you posted, Ogun state is doing very well, from the IGR, ogun state is doing tremendously well and from poverty line, Ogun state is doing well.
So in all ramifications, southwest states are doing well

Lamba lord they get majority like up to 90% from companies,banks and other private institutions

My question was,
Why is it that if you want to measure or compare two economies they always use GDP not IGR?

They're not really doing perse they're getting the dividend of being closer to Lagos Ogun is a case study

SE have a very self sustaining economy because we have markets we literally own the largest market not just in Nigeria but west Africa

I have said it countless no matter how harsh the economy is ,SE will be doing just fine because people here are majorly self employed and not salary earners like the west. So inflation can't affect Thier income they'll always counterbalance it with increase in price. Despite all that SE has the lowest cost of living in the south because availability of goods thanks to plenty markets

Don't underestimate the power of trade and commerce.

I'm glad our people our people are slightly shifting to investing more into manufacturing industry in the east . I love what I saw in my town around Oba-Nnewi axis last weekend.
Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by Omoawoke2(m): 2:05am On Aug 03, 2023
KwuoteYourFada:

Lamba lord they get majority like up to 90% from companies,banks and other private institutions

My question was,
Why is it that if you want to measure or compare two economies they always use GDP not IGR?

They're not really doing perse they're getting the dividend of being closer to Lagos Ogun is a case study

SE have a very self sustaining economy because we have markets we literally own the largest market not just in Nigeria but west Africa

I have said it countless no matter how harsh the economy is ,SE will be doing just fine because people here are majorly self employed and not salary earners like the west. So inflation can't affect Thier income they'll always counterbalance it with increase in price. Despite all that SE has the lowest cost of living in the south because availability of goods thanks to plenty markets

Don't underestimate the power of trade and commerce.

I'm glad our people our people are slightly shifting to investing more into manufacturing industry in the east . I love what I saw in my town around Oba-Nnewi axis last weekend.

Excellent point, but when comparing countries, you can’t use IGR, IGR has to do with internally generated revenue.
On the international scale, it is about international trade, and how well you perform comparatively to other countries, that’s why GDP is being used. But within a country, the best way to know how each state is contributing is using their IGR and that’s why it’s very important.
When measuring the true wealth of a state, a combination of these data will give you a better reflection. In terms of revenue generated by each state, of course we can always say that southwest states are doing excellently well
Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by Emco1: 9:52am On Aug 03, 2023
Freebills12:
Op you just lied with this your post. The white first arrived at Onitsha before travelling to Owerri then Umuahia. They establish schools as they travel, how do you then say that the first secondary school in Igboland is FGC Umuahia? Here is the list of secondary school established by the white man.

Top 10 Oldest Secondary Schools In South East (Igboland)
St. Paul’s College, Iyenu, Awka (1900)
Methodist College, Uzuakoli, Abia (1923)- Methodist
Ibo Boys’ High School, Uzuakoli, Abia (1923) – CMS
Dennis Memorial Grammar School, Onitsha, Anambra (1925)
Government College, Umuahia, Abia (1927)
St. Charles College, Onitsha (1929)
Aggrey Memorial College, Arochukwu (1931)
Holy Rosary College, Enugu (1935) – Catholic
Government Secondary School, Owerri (1935)
Queen of the Rosary College, Onitsha (1942)

https://servantboy.com/oldest-secondary-schools-nigeria/
Wow really wow, the yorubas started as far back as 1859 that's really amazing. Why then did the Igbos started in the year 1900?
Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by KwuoteYourFada: 9:56am On Aug 03, 2023
Omoawoke2:

Excellent point, but when comparing countries, you can’t use IGR, IGR has to do with internally generated revenue.
On the international scale, it is about international trade, and how well you perform comparatively to other countries, that’s why GDP is being used. But within a country, the best way to know how each state is contributing is using their IGR and that’s why it’s very important.
When measuring the true wealth of a state, a combination of these data will give you a better reflection. In terms of revenue generated by each state, of course we can always say that southwest states are doing excellently well
GDP is for only countries ? grin

The reason why no one takes SW IGR serious is that they're completely doing nothing with it
Not only that, they're the most indebted

The Igr doesn't Better the life of the common man in the street of Ibadan

If you say per capita income, HDI I'll agree

Look at Ogun airport na haba!
Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by Freebills12: 12:47pm On Aug 03, 2023
[color=#000099][/color]
Emco1:
Wow really wow, the yorubas started as far back as 1859 that's really amazing. Why then did the Igbos started in the year 1900?

The white first arrived Lagos then sailed to Onitsha
Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by Omoawoke2(m): 3:07pm On Aug 03, 2023
KwuoteYourFada:

GDP is for only countries ? grin

The reason why no one takes SW IGR serious is that they're completely doing nothing with it
Not only that, they're the most indebted

The Igr doesn't Better the life of the common man in the street of Ibadan

If you say per capita income, HDI I'll agree

Look at Ogun airport na haba!

What do you mean by GDP is for only countries? Are you misunderstanding me, or I’m confused?

No offense, but southeast is the least developed in the entire country.
GDP like I said could be very biased, it fails at recognizing income distribution. For all it cares, the whole nation could be plagued by poverty yet the GDP could be high.
Nigeria’s GDP is far higher than Southafricas GDP but look at their income distribution and infrastructural development, can you compare?

You have nothing against southwest to be honest, the GDP figure posted even though I don’t rely on GDP, southwest still top the list.

The IGR shows southwest way ahead of every other region

The poverty line shows southwest far ahead of every other region. Poverty count per head placed Southeastern states as the worst in the southern region.

Ogun state is second most industrialized state in Nigeria after Lagos.

The list goes on, and my surprise when easterners think they are better than southwest when nothing proves that.

All the entire infrastructure you claim to have in the southeast is not up to 3 local governments in oyo state.

It is like splitting Ibadan into five cities and calling them fancy names.
Nnewi, Aba, Onitsha combined is not up to Ibadan
Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by Ezeama400: 3:09pm On Aug 03, 2023
FatherOfJesus:
Government college, Umuahia was founded in 1929. It's the oldest secondary school in southeast Nigeria

Nlfpmod Nlfpmod Nlfpmod

Why is this thread not on to ?
Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by Raf4: 3:57pm On Aug 03, 2023
So they got their first secondary school after the amalgamation and emergence of Nigeria. Nigeria is a blessing to them, Nigeria gives them the platform to thrive, yet they'll rather want Nigeria to fall. So ungrateful, hateful and arrogant set of people.
Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by Antivirus92(m): 3:58pm On Aug 03, 2023
Omoawoke2:

Hahahah

Now I agree you are mad

I lived in Ibadan for almost a year and many of my friends were igbos. You just made me remember those wonderful friends I made over there. Many of them were even born in Ibadan and never left ibadan before. They sabi speak yoruba pass us sef.
wonderful friends indeed, always lying effortlessly
Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by Antivirus92(m): 4:06pm On Aug 03, 2023
Omoawoke2:

What do you mean by GDP is for only countries? Are you misunderstanding me, or I’m confused?

GDP like I said could be very biased, it fails at recognizing income distribution. For all it cares, the whole nation could be plagued by poverty yet the GDP could be high.
Nigeria’s GDP is far higher than Southafricas GDP but look at their income distribution and infrastructural development, can you compare?

You have nothing against southwest to be honest, the GDP figure posted even though I don’t rely on GDP, southwest still top the list.

The poverty line shows southwest far ahead of every other region. Poverty count per head placed Southeastern states as the worst in the southern region.

The list goes on, and my surprise when easterners think they are better than southwest when nothing proves that.

All the entire infrastructure you claim to have in the southeast is not up to 3 local governments in oyo state.

The type of houses you guys live in show how poor you are. No rich person lives under a brown roof. Majority of Yorubas are agonisingly poor.

1 Like

Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by Raf4: 4:09pm On Aug 03, 2023
MEEVEET:
1929 igbos really started education late sha

But by 1950s we were already almost at the same educational standards as out Yoruba brothers that started in 1850s

By 1966 to 75 we lost about 10 years again... By 1990 we overtook the yorubas but since 2000 the gap between us have become more and more visible

There is a reason u don't see number of graduates per state yearly....the gap South East states gave the rest of Nigerian states is embarrassing honestly

Igbos had no single meaningful development/achievement until forceful amalgamation and emergence of Nigeria in 1914 as carried out by the colonialists. What Calabar already got since 1890s you just got in 1929. You people should be eternal grateful to the colonial British and Nigeria for bringing you into the limelight.
Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by MEEVEET: 4:19pm On Aug 03, 2023
Raf4:

Igbos had no single meaningful development/achievement until forceful amalgamation and emergence of Nigeria in 1914 as carried out by the colonialists. What Calabar already got since 1890s you just got in 1929. You people should be eternal grateful to the colonial British and Nigeria for bringing you into the limelight.
Yea... So? We started late yet still beat those who started before us... That's a typical igbo thing... We don't accept new concept easily but when we do we do with all our soul

If igbos back u, relax u have 100% of igbo backing
Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by Omoawoke2(m): 4:50pm On Aug 03, 2023
Antivirus92:
The type of houses you guys live in shows how poor you are. No rich person lives under a brown roof. Majority of Yorubas are agonisingly poor.

Lmao, do you know the numbers of igbos living in those brown roofs in ibadan?

Ibadan alone is bigger than Aba, Nnewi and Onistha combined, so how many places do you know in Ibadan?
Nobody is dragging with you, southeast is the least developed place in southern Nigeria.

Meanwhile Ebonyi remains the poverty capital of southern Nigeria

Enugu has more brown roofs than the entire southwest states

You guys have nothing against southwest, you are worse in all ramifications

Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by Omoawoke2(m): 4:51pm On Aug 03, 2023
Antivirus92:
The type of houses you guys live in show how poor you are. No rich person lives under a brown roof. Majority of Yorubas are agonisingly poor.

See brown roofs in Enugu,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKVAq9uSwXU

Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by Antivirus92(m): 4:53pm On Aug 03, 2023
Omoawoke2:

See brown roofs in Enugu,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKVAq9uSwXU
showing osogbo as enugu wouldn't reduce the number of brown roofs there
Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by Antivirus92(m): 4:55pm On Aug 03, 2023
Omoawoke2:

Lmao, do you know the numbers of igbos living in those brown roofs in ibadan?

Ibadan alone is bigger than Aba, Nnewi and Onistha combined, so how many places do you know in Ibadan?
Nobody is dragging with you, southeast is the least developed place in southern Nigeria.

Meanwhile Ebonyi remains the poverty capital of southern Nigeria

Enugu has more brown roofs than the entire southwest states

You guys have nothing against southwest, you are worse in all ramifications
There are more Yorubas in aba than igbos in osogbo
Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by Omoawoke2(m): 5:00pm On Aug 03, 2023
Antivirus92:

Ebonyi and Enugu are known as the povert capital of southern Nigeria

What do you have to say about this

Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by Omoawoke2(m): 5:03pm On Aug 03, 2023
Antivirus92:
showing osogbo as enugu wouldn't reduce the number of brown roofs there

I am sure poverty has prevented you from having money to buy data to watch the video

Of course you are the poorest people in southern Nigeria yet ingrates and unnecessarily boastful.

Just two days ago, a video was trending of how your youths were migrating like refugees in hundreds from the east going to southwest. Yet you hate us! Your region will never progress because you hate the people that you run to.

Bros, go borrow airtime buy data and watch the sad state of poverty in Enugu and Ebonyi
It is a known fact that Ebonyi and Enugu are the poorest states in southern nigeria
Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by Omoawoke2(m): 5:05pm On Aug 03, 2023
Antivirus92:
There are more Yorubas in aba than igbos in osogbo

Give us data. Olodo !

Not by mouth, show proof

I can easily say there are more Europeans in Nnewi than anywhere in the world. But no proof

Your region is the poorest, just admit it.

IGR, GDP, poverty line, southwest pass you hands down and get you go dey argue

Richest known people in Nigeria are not igbos but Hausas and Yorubas
Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by fx45(m): 5:23pm On Aug 03, 2023
Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by Antivirus92(m): 6:09pm On Aug 03, 2023
Omoawoke2:

Give us data. Olodo !

Not by mouth, show proof

I can easily say there are more Europeans in Nnewi than anywhere in the world. But no proof

Your region is the poorest, just admit it.

IGR, GDP, poverty line, southwest pass you hands down and get you go dey argue

Richest known people in Nigeria are not igbos but Hausas and Yorubas
he-goat, which stats did you back your claims up with?

There are more Yorubas in aba than igbos in osogbo.

Wealth of nation is not measured by having more people in the Billionaires list as evident in the north.

And for that same reason is why Britain, Germany are richer than Saudi Arabia.

Any society that does not have wealth evenly distributed is poor. Money cannot be in the hands of few individuals and u call yourselves wealthy. That's why Igbos are richer than all of you

1 Like

Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by KwuoteYourFada: 6:24pm On Aug 03, 2023
Omoawoke2:

so large land equate to large economy

You're a dummy tongue

Omo you're irredeemable grin

You obviously crying at this point grin

Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by KwuoteYourFada: 6:31pm On Aug 03, 2023
Antivirus92:
he-got, which stats did you back your claims up with?

Wealth of nation is not measured by having more people in the Billionaires list as evident in the north.

Any society that does not have wealth evenly distributed is poor. Money cannot be in the hands of few individuals and u call yourselves wealthy. That's why Igbos are richer than all of you

Wealth distribution is how you measure how rich a people are

One tree doesn't make a forest

This people poor eh

I literally served in the west so when I speak I speak from experience

1 Like

Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by Omoawoke2(m): 6:47pm On Aug 03, 2023
KwuoteYourFada:
so large land equate to large economy

You're a dummy tongue

Omo you're irredeemable grin

You obviously crying at this point grin

From what I said, this is the best your brain could make out of it? Where did I mention landmass is equivalent to economy?
The only thing I see about you people is a combination of envy, bitterness and deflated ego

Always far from reality, the reality that southwest has proven better than your region in all spheres is too much mental torture for you to handle.
And worst of all, you lost the most important election to a southwesterner. I feel your pains
Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by Omoawoke2(m): 6:50pm On Aug 03, 2023
Antivirus92:
he-got, which stats did you back your claims up with?

I agree 100% with you, for example Folorunsho Alakija richest African woman is from Anambra state
The top 10 richest people in Nigeria are from Ebonyi, Anambra and Imo state

Southeastern states have the highest GDP in Nigeria and highest IGR
Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by Antivirus92(m): 6:51pm On Aug 03, 2023
Omoawoke2:

I am sure poverty has prevented you from having money to buy data to watch the video

Of course you are the poorest people in southern Nigeria yet ingrates and unnecessarily boastful.

Just two days ago, a video was trending of how your youths were migrating like refugees in hundreds from the east going to southwest. Yet you hate us! Your region will never progress because you hate the people that you run to.

Bros, go borrow airtime buy data and watch the sad state of poverty in Enugu and Ebonyi
It is a known fact that Ebonyi and Enugu are the poorest states in southern nigeria
Always, there have been buses loading from the east to Lagos and vice versa. It didn't start today. So your video is as useless as yourself.
Hundreds of Yorubas migrate to the east also but we do not shout about it because we know they are here out of poverty.

Majority of the migrants are from osun, ekiti, ondo, oyo and ogun. Few from Lagos. They do menial jobs here to survive. They enjoy cool weather, see beautiful people and live in decent Cement block houses with aluminium roofs, something that is alien to where they came from.
Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by Antivirus92(m): 6:53pm On Aug 03, 2023
Omoawoke2:

I agree 100% with you, for example Folorunsho Alakija richest African woman is from Anambra state

dangote is the richest man in Africa, he is from the north. So north is the richest part of Nigeria?
Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by Antivirus92(m): 6:55pm On Aug 03, 2023
Omoawoke2:

yes, we have more GDP than you people except Lagos

You have more IGR than us because you tax and levy yourselves without pity
Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by Omoawoke2(m): 6:58pm On Aug 03, 2023
Antivirus92:
dangote is the richest man in Africa, he is from the north. So north is the richest part of Nigeria?
I guess dangote is the only person on Forbes list

I am only asking for an evidence of your wealth. You mentioned that igbos are richer than all Yorubas.

But no single evidence,

Forbes list, GDP, IGR, poverty line

I have given you all these and everything proves Yorubas ahead of you.

So please give me just one sphere or statistics, anything please which shows igbos richer than Yorubas

Are you this dull

1. IGR
2. Poverty Line (southeast states poorest in Southern nigeria by head count)
3. Forbes list ( dominated by Yorubas and Hausas)
4. GDP. Southwest doing better

Oya show me just one proof
Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by Omoawoke2(m): 6:59pm On Aug 03, 2023
Antivirus92:
yes, we have more GDP than you people except Lagos

You have more IGR than us because you tax and levy yourselves without pity

So Lagos is a northern state? And the only state that is doing well is Anambra, dragging GDP with Ogun and Ondo

So what else?
Re: Picture Of The Oldest Secondary School In Southeast Nigeria. by Raf4: 7:00pm On Aug 03, 2023
MEEVEET:

Yea... So? We started late yet still beat those who started before us... That's a typical igbo thing... We don't accept new concept easily but when we do we do with all our soul

If igbos back u, relax u have 100% of igbo backing

The issue here isn't about starting late, but of the fact that you couldn't achieve anything on your own until Nigeria afford you the opportunity thru amalgamation. e.g you claimed to be business oriented, but, unlike Hausa, Yoruba etc, there was no known Igbo businessman until the advent of Colonialists. You only discovered your business skills when Nigeria provided you with the platform.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety / Whatsapp Group For political Discussion For Youths / Why You Should Boycott The Upcoming Nationwide Protest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.