Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,626 members, 7,813,058 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:59 AM

How Do I Handle Such A Boss - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do I Handle Such A Boss (16985 Views)

Drop That Harsh Thing In Your Mind, You Wish You Can Email To A Boss Or Client B / How Do I Handle A Bossy Demoted Colleague / How Do I Handle My Female Colleague? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Handle Such A Boss by Meerahbel: 2:10pm On Aug 05, 2023
Dear Joblanders,

I have an MD who doesn't believe in taxes, I have informed him by sending mails of the implications of not remitting taxes.

He recently requested for TCC and I informed him it will be difficult to get because we have not been filing for VAT since 2019 plus their are penalities and fines attached to not filing.

He said, "any road side accountant can get TCC, why am I finding it difficult to get TCC".

The organization was incorporated in 2018 but started officially in 2019 they only did 2020 & 2021 audited financial statements (AFS) and it's not on tax promax and I informed him of the implications of our actions.

The auditor (to me is not an auditor because I haven't seen an auditor with earrings in my entire life) said tax pro max said tax pro max is the same as accounting software & it started in 2022 & I am supposed to know how to put it on tax Pro max but I informed him that from the (AFS) there's an annual turnover of 100m+ for 2020 and I asked if his aware of the implications given the fact that the company have not filed any VAT since 2019 he didn't respond.
I probed further, asking him since TPM came out in 2022 and the AFS of 2021 was done in 2022, why didn't he inform the organization about the news development and it's implications? He said, he was only contracted to do AFS.

It took serious fight to do the AFS for 2022 and it even the AFS is done half way (draft copy) and yet to be completed, the MD cited the fact that the current auditor (not the one with earrings) want to expose them to tax labilities because of the money he wants to collect, but I said no, his only informing us about the likelihood of our actions, if we go with 100m+ as turnover in the AFS 2020.

How best do you handle such boss because the auditor is telling my boss that I am supposed to know how to prepare audited financial statements and I said No, there's a difference between an auditor and an accountant.

Kindly help the best way to handle this lingering issue.
Copied!

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Do I Handle Such A Boss by IyaTola: 4:56pm On Aug 05, 2023
The Deceptive Veil

Many believe that telling lies, even small ones, is just a part of life. Whether it's embellishing a CV, stretching the truth in an interview, or during team meetings and work, it seems harmless at first. But once you start down that road, it's tough to turn back. A little lie can turn into a habit that's hard to break.

One problem with lying is that you have to remember the stories you tell to keep up the charade and maintain your credibility. But let's face it, we can't remember every little detail forever. Eventually, the truth comes out.

Sure, speaking the truth doesn't always make life easy. It's why people lie in the first place. But in the long run, honesty pays off. The best thing about telling the truth is the peace of mind it brings. When you're honest, you know you're not a fake, and you can trust yourself no matter what.

Another advantage of being truthful is building a good reputation. Even if some people get hurt by the truth, they still respect an honest person. And when there's a chance to recommend someone reliable, your credibility will do the talking for you, even if they're not your biggest fans. There are plenty of examples of people who've achieved great things in life because they were known for their honesty.

If you find yourself defending a lie because it benefits you, remember that you're part of the problem. Whether it's at work, with family, or in society, dishonesty causes harm. Make a promise to yourself today to always speak the truth and live an authentic life.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Do I Handle Such A Boss by SMJay: 9:22pm On Aug 05, 2023
In a country were things are working. The ethical thing to do would be to resign since you have informed him about the danger of tax evasion. Otherwise you would be seen as aiding and benefiting from the proceeds of crime. But man this is Nigeria. A lot of people don't pay taxes. Most do because they feel the government and authorities aren't accountable. If you are a novice these tax officials will cut your neck. No proper tax education for the novice. The officials themselves are looking for opportunities to exploit the amature
My advice is that since you are an accountant I presume you know about taxation including penalties for failing to render returns as at when due. So do educate your MD. Make it formal by writing a letter or report to him. Telling him the advantages as well as disadvantages of his actions.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do I Handle Such A Boss by xtivin(m): 10:06pm On Aug 05, 2023
Meerahbel:

Copied!
Out of all these I just want to point out that the appearance of an auditor may not necessarily matter if your records are accurate, let her do her job please. Furthermore, since you have put everything I writing face your job please and on all these be open to learning as there may be a lot you don't know yet abeg.

10 Likes

Re: How Do I Handle Such A Boss by Oyindamolah: 12:56am On Aug 06, 2023
Do not walk away if you have no alternative in this economy. Doing a proper report on why it pays to pay tax is the best option. Start looking for a better job in a responsible legal entity. The wrath of the law will definitely cut up with your MD sooner than he expect and he is going to pay.

It's well...how can an Accountant of an entity prepare the Audited Financial Statement of the same entity.....May God help ooo.. They always want Accountant to be doing everything. They dont even want to pay PROFESSIONAL PAYMENT AS SALARY

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do I Handle Such A Boss by Meerahbel: 1:22am On Aug 06, 2023
xtivin:

Out of all these I just want to point out that the appearance of an auditor may not necessarily matter if your records are accurate, let her do her job please. Furthermore, since you have put everything I writing face your job please and on all these be open to learning as there may be a lot you don't know yet abeg.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

5 Likes

Re: How Do I Handle Such A Boss by lavylilly: 10:24am On Aug 06, 2023
Bro you've explained everything to him. The next step is to resign and get another company to offer your professional service. These business owners need to go and do short course on compliance.

An Accountant can prepare a financial statement but an Auditor prepares Audited Financial Statement by auditing the financial statement that was prepared by an Accountant

10 Likes

Re: How Do I Handle Such A Boss by Pojomojo: 7:36am On Aug 07, 2023
wink
xtivin:

Re: How Do I Handle Such A Boss by NaijaCover(m): 12:44pm On Aug 07, 2023
Hmmmmmmm
Re: How Do I Handle Such A Boss by Sharpsharp00123: 12:45pm On Aug 07, 2023
A
Re: How Do I Handle Such A Boss by Offpoint1: 12:45pm On Aug 07, 2023
Kh
Re: How Do I Handle Such A Boss by Greenfaces: 12:47pm On Aug 07, 2023
A
Re: How Do I Handle Such A Boss by Kaplan01: 12:47pm On Aug 07, 2023
But as the Finacial Accountant in the company, It is your duty and responsibily to prepare FS. What will the Auditor audit if there is no FS. Secondly there is way around it, get a contact in FIRS, brown envelop will do the rest.
Re: How Do I Handle Such A Boss by MykellOni(m): 12:48pm On Aug 07, 2023
Attendance: Present ✔️
As for me, I think you're tired of your job,
Simple!
Re: How Do I Handle Such A Boss by zebszebs: 12:49pm On Aug 07, 2023
Rat on your boss. FIRS will give you a cut of the fine the company will pay.
You can then Japa from there or else, your goose will be cooked by you then ex-boss.
Re: How Do I Handle Such A Boss by Vifx: 12:49pm On Aug 07, 2023
Leave the job
Re: How Do I Handle Such A Boss by datola: 12:49pm On Aug 07, 2023
Hmmm...
Re: How Do I Handle Such A Boss by Childofaking: 12:49pm On Aug 07, 2023
One of the challenges for Accountants in corporate organizations is the issue of taxes. Even if you know the right thing to do, your employer may not be willing to do it. Many entrepreneurs believe you don't need to pay the taxes because they can always have they way. And they have a lot of accomplices in the tax authorities. The officers in the tax authorities like FIRS and the state tax authorities support the corporate organizations in shortchanging the government.

You are lucky when you get a job where they like paying everything to the last and doing all things right.

My friend, advise him to employ a tax consultant in addition to the external auditors who will manage your taxes. That one should be able to advise him whether it is possible to get TCC without paying taxes.

Meanwhile be on the look out for another job.
Re: How Do I Handle Such A Boss by YoungLionken(m): 12:49pm On Aug 07, 2023
Before I read through, I already know it's not the typical Nigerian news..

In a typical Nigerian company, it would have been a Hot boss sexually assaulting his female employees...
Re: How Do I Handle Such A Boss by harmargedon: 12:49pm On Aug 07, 2023
Wipe am oraimo cord for neck, den hand am your resignation letter.
Re: How Do I Handle Such A Boss by Ri8L: 12:50pm On Aug 07, 2023

Re: How Do I Handle Such A Boss by strictly4data: 12:50pm On Aug 07, 2023
angry
Re: How Do I Handle Such A Boss by AmGreat1234: 12:51pm On Aug 07, 2023
I can't stop admiring this our player.

Re: How Do I Handle Such A Boss by Dcaliphate(m): 12:54pm On Aug 07, 2023
Since i don't understand all your acronyms I'll just give u my own too...Give your MD a good BJ and F the hell outta him

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle Such A Boss by OyeofIkoTuN(m): 12:54pm On Aug 07, 2023
Easy life...

Obey the last command. GET A ROAD ASIDE ACCOUNTANT. Una go dey overdo.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Handle Such A Boss by FalseProphet1(m): 12:54pm On Aug 07, 2023
I see the government sealing your office, I see you becoming jobless.

This I have seen.
Re: How Do I Handle Such A Boss by Moniya4Real(m): 12:55pm On Aug 07, 2023
Bro, you probably don’t know your boss is a paddy to someone like their oga at the tax office hence, knows he’ll surely bribe his way out.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle Such A Boss by ipobarecriminals: 12:55pm On Aug 07, 2023
sad
Re: How Do I Handle Such A Boss by oluseyiforjesus(m): 12:56pm On Aug 07, 2023
Ok

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Biggest Lies People Told Me About Entrepreneurship / South African Senior Military Officer Dismissed Over Social Media Comment / How Depressed Do You Feel In Your Current Place Of Work? Part II

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.