Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,701 members, 7,820,452 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:11 PM

You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. (33988 Views)

How Do People Survive In Nigeria? / Europe Is Not Easy — Nigerian Lady Reveals The Kind Of Job She Does To Survive / Best Countries To Survive Global Apocalypse(Pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. by Karlifate: 5:20pm On Aug 06, 2023
Mindlog:

The number 4 "You must learn how to argue with a bus conductor, when he tries cheating you. And please whenever you do. Please don't use Standard English. You must have had a good knowledge of Pidgin before you come to Lagos. If not I can teach you".

I am very fluent in Yoruba and Pidgin English but even the last time I was in a bus years ago, I maintained my "Standard English" despite the threats by the bus conductor that he would not give me my N400 change, that I committed a crime by giving him N500. He was ranting in a mix of Yoruba and Pidgin English and I maintained a fixed gaze on him as I do psychiatric patients without responding to his rants, his rants began to weaken and the bus became quiet, I told the driver in a low tone I was dropping off at the next bus stop and the driver told the conductor to please give me my change and he meekly did so.

If you think you are crazy, I spent millions of naira and years in schools to learn how to deal with crazy people.

LMAO! 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. by Karlifate: 5:21pm On Aug 06, 2023
Sucre6:
Op, this is hilarious 😂

If u have ever stayed or lived in Mararaba in Abuja, then you will blend in just fine in Lagos, mararaba comprises of all this that I has mentioned here and even more 😂😂

I ones saw two girls fighting dirty at Mararaba Junction, one with a broke head and blood gushing out everywhere, unfortunate people that came to separate fight all lost their phones, wallet and even shoes in the process.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.

OmO Nah that hood I grow up before leaving there, we all the mad together, forget say I look gentle, when I come to mararaba to check on my people, I dress like a Yahoo boy and put my face cap backward, Nah so area boys go dey hail you, senior man, Abro my manchi your boys loyal oh, as them see say u self Nah rugged nigga dem no go fit obtain you, them go begin fams u.

Nah money to smoke igbo dem dey find, just give them #200 and they are ready to kill anyone on your command 😅😅😅😅

😂😂😂😂

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. by Karlifate: 5:22pm On Aug 06, 2023
Ofemmanu1:
Naso o.

If you can make it in Lagos, you can make it anywhere..

If you can drive in Lagos, you can drive anywhere in the world.

If you no wise for Lagos, you not fit wise anywhere else.

Proudly Agege boy fi life!

🤣🤣

Reminds me of that Bella Shmurda's song "Lagos City" in his "Hypertension EP"
Re: You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. by Karlifate: 5:26pm On Aug 06, 2023
imoh4king:
Funny enuf, No 16 happened to me at Ikeja, Under bridge, in 2010. I bought a phone for N12k plus my old touch light phone from a guy who gave me phone model or case with fufu filled inside.
I kept the fufu phone for almost a year before throwing it away.
Lagosians.

grin grin
Re: You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. by donmik: 5:29pm On Aug 06, 2023
1 to 4 are lies. You are one Nigerian who believes that u can't help anyone cos u don't need anyone's help.

I am in Lagos and I have always chosen to offer people help cos I may need someone one day.

No13 is a lie cos Lagos Is the safest state in Nigeria. The killings, thievery and robbery in other states are not that high in Lagos at all.

Yes, 99% of people here don't greet and don't answer greetings but when they need my help, they come humbly and greet me. Is that a good civilization to preach? That's a barbaric lifestyle to me.

Greeting is not all about begging for someone who knows the value of social interactions

Stop deceiving people with your weak mindedness and stinginess
Re: You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. by naijamerican: 5:31pm On Aug 06, 2023
Mountbatten:
Lagos is an overrated ghetto. The “premium” areas look like swamp in the rainy season.

Only reason a lot of Nigerians live in Lagos is the job opportunities there. Horrible road network, substandard transport system, poor infrastructure, limited public amenities, streets littered with hawkers, refuse, and beggars.

Terrible “city”.

Fully agreed. Lagos is filthy. I’m currently staying at a high rise in Lekki and trash fill the gutters and streets everywhere. People openly peeing in the streets.

Lagos is nice in some aspects but very dirty ohh

2 Likes

Re: You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. by Badadvisor: 5:33pm On Aug 06, 2023
xynerise:
In Lagos, don't bring your "Holier than thou" attitude to someone who dresses obscene in the street. Just mind your business
This is very important.
Just move to the island if you have the funds you can walk around naked or have all your body covered with tattoos and no one will even look at you twice
Re: You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. by greypencils: 5:41pm On Aug 06, 2023
Number 10 is how people died January 2002 at
the canal at Mafoluku, Oshodi. Be sure of the source of the carnage and distruption ( NOT THE REASON FOR THE CARNAGE) before you take off. Know where it's coming from And when you do, know exactly where you are going to. No dey follow crowd. Mafoluku was no joke for those that witnessed it.

1 Like

Re: You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. by ImperialYoruba: 5:53pm On Aug 06, 2023
Icrave4u:
YOU WANT TO SURVIVE IN LAGOS: 17 Things you must not do.

1. On a bus, When you sit by the window. Never operate your phone, It will be snatched from your hand. This is a quintessential occurence in some surbuban parts of Lagos such as Agege and Mushin. In fact, anywhere in Lagos.

2. Whenever someone greets you on the road, Do not answer him or her especially when he approaches you from behind.

3. If you see people fighting, Mind your business!!. I repeat MIND YOUR BUSINESS!!

4. You must learn how to argue with a bus conductor, when he tries cheating you.
And please whenever you do. Please don't use Standard English. You must have had a good knowledge of Pidgin before you come to Lagos. If not I can teach you. 🤣

5. Walk with a known Nigerian, on the first weeks of your stay in Lagos. He'll show you the ropes or else you go suffer.

6. Whenever you're walking in a deserted area in Lagos. Walk like a gangster, not like a responsible person. If you do, Miscreants will feel you're defensive and wouldn't come close to you. Street sense ✌🤣

7. Anything you did not find on your head, Please don't pick it. (You understand what I mean).

8. When you're crossing the road. Turn into a Ronaldo. Cars come in massive droves. They won't hit you but you must learn how to dribble them. 🤣

9. When you want to buy soft drinks, Buy soft drinks from people hawking in the traffic. It is believed that the drinks taste sweeter than the ones bought from people in shops😅. Just a belief!!

10. When you see a large number of people running, don't wait or ask questions. Just run with them. RUN RUN RUN!!! Ask when it is safe!! Run o🤣

11. Never leave Lagos without taking a ride on Third Mainland Bridge. It is a sin😅

12. Don't dance to any music you hear, never stare or laugh at people. Don't speak to anyone in the bus until they speak to you first.

13. Whenever you walk in a crowded area, hold your phone firmly in your hand, not in your bag or pocket or else Sope oti lo.

14. Whenever you want to ask for Directions, say this. "Sorry, Please, Excuse me...then ask your question". It is compulsory to say all of them. Don't omit any. Everybody is angry in Nigeria.😂

15. It's often said that the number of people who are mentally normal in Lagos aren't up to 5. In essence, If a Lagosian teases you, don't take him serious. Just be cool to prevent issues. We're mád in this Lagos!!. I am the only nórmal person in my area.

16. There's one popular "Den of scámmers" in Lagos called Computer Village. It is the most popular place for buying and repairing electronic devices. But please and please open your eyes very well before you buy fufu package in a phone case of buy a swapped electronics.😁

17. And lastly LAGOS is a comedy centre, you will love the drama you will be seeing around.

Lagos, Its mix of tradition and modernity, combined with its rich culture and entrepreneurial spirit, makes it an exciting and attractive destination for people from all over the world. Lagos is very very fun and sweet once you understand the system. It's not a bad place to be, it's just a place to be SMART and WISE!!
EKO AKETE ILE OGBON!

Lesson 18 - Never say Eko without the Akete, indigenes will be offended. grin

Nice collection!
Re: You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. by DaveOnuoha92(m): 6:04pm On Aug 06, 2023
Icrave4u:

1. On a bus, When you sit by the window. Never operate your phone, It will be snatched from your hand. This is a quintessential occurence in some surbuban parts of Lagos such as Agege and Mushin. In fact, anywhere in Lagos.

2. Whenever someone greets you on the road, Do not answer him or her especially when he approaches you from behind.

3. If you see people fighting, Mind your business!!. I repeat MIND YOUR BUSINESS!!

4. You must learn how to argue with a bus conductor, when he tries cheating you.
And please whenever you do. Please don't use Standard English. You must have had a good knowledge of Pidgin before you come to Lagos. If not I can teach you. 🤣

5. Walk with a known Nigerian, on the first weeks of your stay in Lagos. He'll show you the ropes or else you go suffer.

6. Whenever you're walking in a deserted area in Lagos. Walk like a gangster, not like a responsible person. If you do, Miscreants will feel you're defensive and wouldn't come close to you. Street sense ✌🤣

7. Anything you did not find on your head, Please don't pick it. (You understand what I mean).

8. When you're crossing the road. Turn into a Ronaldo. Cars come in massive droves. They won't hit you but you must learn how to dribble them. 🤣

9. When you want to buy soft drinks, Buy soft drinks from people hawking in the traffic. It is believed that the drinks taste sweeter than the ones bought from people in shops😅. Just a belief!!

10. When you see a large number of people running, don't wait or ask questions. Just run with them. RUN RUN RUN!!! Ask when it is safe!! Run o🤣

11. Never leave Lagos without taking a ride on Third Mainland Bridge. It is a sin😅

12. Don't dance to any music you hear, never stare or laugh at people. Don't speak to anyone in the bus until they speak to you first.

13. Whenever you walk in a crowded area, hold your phone firmly in your hand, not in your bag or pocket or else Sope oti lo.

14. Whenever you want to ask for Directions, say this. "Sorry, Please, Excuse me...then ask your question". It is compulsory to say all of them. Don't omit any. Everybody is angry in Nigeria.😂

15. It's often said that the number of people who are mentally normal in Lagos aren't up to 5. In essence, If a Lagosian teases you, don't take him serious. Just be cool to prevent issues. We're mád in this Lagos!!. I am the only nórmal person in my area.

16. There's one popular "Den of scámmers" in Lagos called Computer Village. It is the most popular place for buying and repairing electronic devices. But please and please open your eyes very well before you buy fufu package in a phone case of buy a swapped electronics.😁

17. And lastly LAGOS is a comedy centre, you will love the drama you will be seeing around.

Lagos, Its mix of tradition and modernity, combined with its rich culture and entrepreneurial spirit, makes it an exciting and attractive destination for people from all over the world. Lagos is very very fun and sweet once you understand the system. It's not a bad place to be, it's just a place to be SMART and WISE!!
EKO ILE OGBON!
I 100% agree with you but you omitted 18
Which states that
If you no wan collect sack letter for work place, especially when your place of work is on the island; you better wake up by 3am and get a bus by 4am to beat traffic. (Speaking from experience)
Re: You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. by Yampotatocarrot(m): 6:15pm On Aug 06, 2023
Mindlog:

The number 4 "You must learn how to argue with a bus conductor, when he tries cheating you. And please whenever you do. Please don't use Standard English. You must have had a good knowledge of Pidgin before you come to Lagos. If not I can teach you".

I am very fluent in Yoruba and Pidgin English but even the last time I was in a bus years ago, I maintained my "Standard English" despite the threats by the bus conductor that he would not give me my N400 change, that I committed a crime by giving him N500. He was ranting in a mix of Yoruba and Pidgin English and I maintained a fixed gaze on him as I do psychiatric patients without responding to his rants, his rants began to weaken and the bus became quiet, I told the driver in a low tone I was dropping off at the next bus stop and the driver told the conductor to please give me my change and he meekly did so.

If you think you are crazy, I spent millions of naira and years in schools to learn how to deal with crazy people.

I believe you're correct. There's a kind of calmness you'll use to address the conductor, laced with confidence, fear no go gree am hold your change... Let's add that to the fact that more conductors now speak fluent english also, very fluent o

Numbers 5, 9 and 12 are just rubbish the OP decided to add
Re: You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. by Damfostopper(m): 6:39pm On Aug 06, 2023
The same thing applies to Mile 1, Diobu axis in PortHarcourt
Re: You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. by GGirll: 7:26pm On Aug 06, 2023
Very funny thread but very apt. grin
Re: You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. by Blueace247(f): 7:33pm On Aug 06, 2023
Lasgidi... Gbogbo Ikorodu, agege,ogba, ikeja, ojota, mile 12,Maryland. ilupeju, mushin ojuelegba shitta, cms, ozumba nbadiwe...amongst other places I can't remember now... Ko ma lo be yen....

Konibaje!!!!
Re: You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. by Blackmercyvelly: 8:08pm On Aug 06, 2023
AmotekunSW:

Do you know why Obaseki has not paid your mother's pension?
He is stealing Edo state blind and taking it to Lagos.

Keep calling Lagos a slum when you have no future.
Re: You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. by Blackmercyvelly: 8:09pm On Aug 06, 2023
WOW 😲 😲 😲 😳
🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓

AmotekunSW:

Do you know why Obaseki has not paid your mother's pension?
He is stealing Edo state blind and taking it to Lagos.

Keep calling Lagos a slum when you have no future.
Re: You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. by deen84(m): 9:07pm On Aug 06, 2023
Mindlog:

Hello are you a Psychiatrist
Re: You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. by AfonjaPriest: 10:08pm On Aug 06, 2023
insidelife22:
Okay noted.

Dear Nairalanders, Pls help out a brother, anything will be appreciated, noting is small abeg.
Raphael Godwin.
Access.
Beggar Raphael, you have staged a comeback to your begging ways. Read from below a previous post of yours.
insidelife22:
Okay Igbo amaka.
Umunnem unu choro ife kam Jere Tachie.
Raphael Godwin
Access.
Chukwu gozie gi.
Stop deceiving people with your plea for help.
Go to your church or mosque to beg. Stop being shameless; follow a dignified path of honest enterprise.
Re: You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. by Vikdus: 10:54pm On Aug 06, 2023
Icrave4u #10 got me grin ;Dpost=124914831:

EKO ILE OGBON!
Re: You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. by Dadatao1998: 11:12pm On Aug 06, 2023
Love800:
Pls can someone find a good private school that pays 80k and above in lagos? Am thinking of relocating.

Yes you can.
There are top tiers school and highbrow schools in Lagos that pays such amount or even more than that. BUT the thing is : is either you get there by referral or you are very good to work your way in there.
And moreso, create your CV very well and look out for schools online, most schools are now putting their vacancy online for recruitment ahead of next session.
I can help you forward some vacant teaching job i see.
Just reach me on 08141984297
Re: You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. by Faithy04: 2:36am On Aug 07, 2023
Nice tips
Re: You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. by sweetman2022: 5:50am On Aug 07, 2023
Mountbatten:
Lagos is an overrated ghetto. The “premium” areas look like swamp in the rainy season.

Only reason a lot of Nigerians live in Lagos is the job opportunities there. Horrible road network, substandard transport system, poor infrastructure, limited public amenities, streets littered with hawkers, refuse, and beggars.

Terrible “city”.
Mumu you...it is all these and it IGR is above 19 states combined in Nigeria.
Re: You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. by Akposkiz: 5:55am On Aug 07, 2023
True Greatone!
Re: You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. by BluntCrazeMan: 6:05am On Aug 07, 2023
Icrave4u:

EKO ILE OGBON!

I stopped at No.7.....

If you expected your readers to be All Lagosians,, then, have a nice day
Re: You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. by Icrave4u: 7:19am On Aug 07, 2023
Funny but true!
qtx:
some of the points make me laff while some are exaggerated grin
Re: You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. by Love800(m): 7:55am On Aug 07, 2023
Tankz very much
Dadatao1998:

Yes you can.
There are top tiers school and highbrow schools in Lagos that pays such amount or even more than that. BUT the thing is : is either you get there by referral or you are very good to work your way in there.
And moreso, create your CV very well and look out for schools online, most schools are now putting their vacancy online for recruitment ahead of next session.
I can help you forward some vacant teaching job i see.
Just reach me on 08141984297
Re: You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. by Mountbatten: 8:31am On Aug 07, 2023
sweetman2022:

Mumu you...it is all these and it IGR is above 19 states combined in Nigeria.

Try typing this again without crying.

You know, only people who lack exposure and are narrow-minded would think Lagos is the ultimate “city” just because it's doing better than 19 other states in Nigeria.

That's probably why the whole place is a mess because people like you are just used to a lower standard of living, no offence. Get your passport, travel and go see better performing cities before calling me a mumu.

1 Like

Re: You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. by OgaRico(m): 9:41am On Aug 07, 2023
"only the real fit to recognize" (in Omah Lay voice)
Na large crowd nai make Lagos look tough but those wey know, know say PH hide any other city for this federation by far distance when tough living as a topic come up.

Goodlyhrt:
Go PH you go know say Lagos dey play
Re: You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. by XAUBulls: 11:48am On Dec 15, 2023
Icrave4u:

EKO ILE OGBON!
Eko... The extremes and contradictions.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Driver, Passengers Killed In Fatal Accident In Aba, Abia State. Graphic Photos / Onitsha-Owerri Road Caves In / Investors Arrive Ibeno Tourist Beach, Akwa Ibom (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.