Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,792 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:43 AM

I Drove 166 Miles Still Have My Full Tank Intact. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Drove 166 Miles Still Have My Full Tank Intact. (1721 Views)

I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel / Man Gave Mechanic His Car To Repair, He Drove The Car To His Girlfriend's House. / Durojaiye Kehinde Obasanjo: I Drove My Amphibious Car From Lagos To Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Drove 166 Miles Still Have My Full Tank Intact. by amliftedhigher: 9:53pm On Aug 13, 2023
DevilishMan:

Hybrid, so, yes.
Note: You don't charge this car with electricity rather it charges using regenerative breaking and when the ICE kicks in
Re: I Drove 166 Miles Still Have My Full Tank Intact. by buygala(m): 9:55pm On Aug 13, 2023
amliftedhigher:

Toyota prius is a very reliable and dependable car. I started studying the car since last year. I belong to Prius forum USA, Tesla forum, Chevrolet bolt and volt forum, Hyundai ioniq forum USA. I did this to have first hand experience from users and I got what I wanted. If the hybrid battery dies, I will change it. It is not a problem. I return from Asaba to warri this morning with same 36 litres fuel tank and I still have up to 100 miles to go with the remaining fuel.

If the hybrid battery or something in the hybrid system gives way in the bush, the online forum members will come fix the vehicle yeah?..

For context Sir, please tell us how much a brand new OEM hybrid battery pack for your vehicle is in naira presently Sir.

1 Like

Re: I Drove 166 Miles Still Have My Full Tank Intact. by DevilishMan: 10:00pm On Aug 13, 2023
buygala:

Not electric like a Tesla that charges via designated electric outlets..

I think the Prius hybrid battery charges via regenerative braking while driving.. I might be wrong though

That guy wey I ask for up whether na brand new OEM or toks battery dem call for am 150k never reply me till now grin....

Buying a fairly used hybrid battery is like buying a fairly used pant.... You have no idea what diseases you are inheriting from the previous owner... One can't tell what life expectancy to get from such.. Whether they were harvested from flooded cars or those with compromised charging systems which have significantly diminished the battery life, etc..

Of course, Nigerian Hybrid battery dealers will tell you how they have tested and confirmed the integrity of every battery cell in the 2nd hand pack they are selling... Same shady language of 2nd hand inverter battery sellers... It's all tested OK until it isn't anymore grin... You get what you pay for... To thy tent o Isreal grin

If I am in Nigeria and in pursuit of fuel economy, I will get a Civic, Yaris or Insight, or a brand new Hybrid.. Of course anyone who can afford a brand new hybrid in Nigeria of today is too rich to be particularly concerned with fuel economy..So that brand-new Hybrid point is questionable.

Make I buy 2nd hand hybrid for naija make d moto come get problem for Akoko-Akure Express.. Then I am stuck between allowing Musbau finger the moto based on Insha Allah or tow the vehicle from that bush to maybe Ibadan or even Lagos where I might get a semblance of a sane hybrid mech... Nahh.. Thank you Sir.

I understand say una dey follow the doings of one mecho for here wey dey get nice mpg with im Prius.. Una dey see im MPG and e dey sweet una grin.. What you guys fail to consider is that he is a mech, so he can fix his hybrids himself and knows where he can source his parts way cheaper.. Or if he is that kind of mech, he can even swap his car's dead parts with those from his customer's vehicles.. If d moto break down for even inside sambisa, im sabi how e go take manage the moto to a safer place where he can do the full fix... But una preek begin stand on top 50mpg wey una dey see, without considering all the terms and conditions... It's well.
amliftedhigher:

Note: You don't charge this car with electricity rather it charges using regenerative breaking and when the ICE kicks in

Okay.
So that means I go just start the car then match brake until the battery full.

Which day I wan reach house?
Re: I Drove 166 Miles Still Have My Full Tank Intact. by buygala(m): 10:04pm On Aug 13, 2023
DevilishMan:

Okay.
So that means I go just start the car then match brake until the battery full.

Which day I wan reach house?

Unlike fully electric cars, the battery in hybrid vehicles isn't the car's primary power source.. It just compliments the normal petrol engine to achieve better fuel economy...

The hybrid battery charges while braking under normal driving conditions

2 Likes

Re: I Drove 166 Miles Still Have My Full Tank Intact. by DevilishMan: 10:11pm On Aug 13, 2023
buygala:

Unlike fully electric cars, the battery in hybrid vehicles isn't the car's primary power source.. It just compliments the normal petrol engine to achieve better fuel economy...

So how dat ekuke OP take achieve that MPG?
That kind of MPG means he didn't use up to 5 litres for the whole journey.
Re: I Drove 166 Miles Still Have My Full Tank Intact. by buygala(m): 10:14pm On Aug 13, 2023
DevilishMan:

Only the op can tell us exactly how many litres he used for the journey, so that we can do the math and decide whether the mpg is worth the hybrid stress.
Re: I Drove 166 Miles Still Have My Full Tank Intact. by amliftedhigher: 9:46pm On Aug 14, 2023
buygala:

If the hybrid battery or something in the hybrid system gives way in the bush, the online forum members will come fix the vehicle yeah?..

For context Sir, please tell us how much a brand new OEM hybrid battery pack for your vehicle is in naira presently Sir.
My brother every car breaks down especially unreliable Mercedes and BMW cars but people still buy it. Our Toyota, Lexus, Honda etc breaks down on the road on daily basis. I have own several Lexus and Toyota cars. Presently my main car is a Super luxury Lexus LS 460L with Air suspension and Auto parking system. Out side the hybrid system in the prius any other things there are found in Toyota Yaris. I understand your concern on the battery but my LS 460L Engine on Nigerian naira should be upto 3m to 4m but 3 years plus is gone and it still drive like brand new. My brother, this hybrid is a test run for my EV which I should have gotten but change my mind. I am studying the hybrid for the EV. Remember when automatic gear came out Nigerians were scared to buy it but today it is no longer the story. When our greedy petroleum marketers sees low sales for a long time, they will review their prices downward
Re: I Drove 166 Miles Still Have My Full Tank Intact. by amliftedhigher: 9:47pm On Aug 14, 2023
buygala:

Gbam
Re: I Drove 166 Miles Still Have My Full Tank Intact. by amliftedhigher: 9:50pm On Aug 14, 2023
DevilishMan:

Who is the ekuke?
I see that you don't have manners and lack a proper way of addressing issues. I will forgive you because your parents did a great disservice to you by raising you in an ill manner. Try and be responsible ok

3 Likes

Re: I Drove 166 Miles Still Have My Full Tank Intact. by DevilishMan: 9:52pm On Aug 14, 2023
amliftedhigher:

Who is the ekuke?
I see that you don't have manners and lack a proper way of addressing issues. I will forgive you because your parents did a great disservice to you by raising you in an ill manner. Try and be responsible ok

Waka follow you 🖐🏾
Re: I Drove 166 Miles Still Have My Full Tank Intact. by amliftedhigher: 9:53pm On Aug 14, 2023
buygala:

Only the op can tell us exactly how many litres he used for the journey, so that we can do the math and decide whether the mpg is worth the hybrid stress.
The rule to achieving a high mpg in hybrid especially prius is simple
Gauge your tires properly according to manufacturers spec
Don't be heavy on the accelerator
Glide through the wind
Move gently until you achieve your speed
Do not overload the car
Etc

1 Like

Re: I Drove 166 Miles Still Have My Full Tank Intact. by victor08(m): 10:35pm On Aug 14, 2023
buygala:

Toyota V8s will still be on the road when it's time for him to shell out bucks for a new hybrid battery grin

If he doesn't spend money on fuel, he will spend it replacing hybrid batteries.

Poor man mentality. Prius is a great car and l am buying it next year.

Nothing free even in freetown

Re: I Drove 166 Miles Still Have My Full Tank Intact. by buygala(m): 4:07am On Aug 15, 2023
victor08:
Poor man mentality.

Very apt coming from someone hawking a used set of 1970s chairs

Elon Musk, I greet you sir

2 Likes

Re: I Drove 166 Miles Still Have My Full Tank Intact. by buygala(m): 4:18am On Aug 15, 2023
amliftedhigher:

My brother every car breaks down especially unreliable Mercedes and BMW cars but people still buy it. Our Toyota, Lexus, Honda etc breaks down on the road on daily basis. I have own several Lexus and Toyota cars. Presently my main car is a Super luxury Lexus LS 460L with Air suspension and Auto parking system. Out side the hybrid system in the prius any other things there are found in Toyota Yaris. I understand your concern on the battery but my LS 460L Engine on Nigerian naira should be upto 3m to 4m but 3 years plus is gone and it still drive like brand new. My brother, this hybrid is a test run for my EV which I should have gotten but change my mind. I am studying the hybrid for the EV. Remember when automatic gear came out Nigerians were scared to buy it but today it is no longer the story. When our greedy petroleum marketers sees low sales for a long time, they will review their prices downward

What you can afford or can't afford isn't the bone of contention here.. It is whether pound for pound for the average Nigerian earner, a 2nd hand Prius gives any considerable fuel savings in the long run, considering the hybrid battery replacement cost down the line, cost of fixing possible faults with the hybrid system, and the risk of the vehicle breaking down in the middle of nowhere and having to choose between Kazeem possibly cannibalizing the poor vehicle or spending a small fortune importing a hybrid expert, or towing the vehicle to the expert.

I am still looking for where you provided the cost of a brand new battery pack for that your Prius Sir.

As you no gree post the price, make I help you. That's about 2m+at the current exchange rate for the hybrid battery replacement just so I can get at most 50mpg, when a Civic or Yaris will give me 40+ mpg steady without any battery monkey business in the future.

1 Like

Re: I Drove 166 Miles Still Have My Full Tank Intact. by AgentGoat: 5:01am On Aug 15, 2023
buygala:

Very apt coming from someone hawking a used set of 1970s chairs

Elon Musk, I greet you sir
grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

If Your Car Engine/transmission Knocks-do You Know The Replacement Price? / Top 10 Engineering Wonders OF The Modern World. (ain't All About Cars) / Speeding Hymn For All Drivers.-a Must Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.