Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:28 AM

I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel (33074 Views)

SA-Based Nigerian Percussionist Olukayode Drove Ferrari That Got Tongues Wagging / Man Gave Mechanic His Car To Repair, He Drove The Car To His Girlfriend's House. / Durojaiye Kehinde Obasanjo: I Drove My Amphibious Car From Lagos To Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:47am On Nov 24, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukMdq-6P_P8?si=PUAcUx30R_SpAI0h

Yes you read it correctly N2,450.(Two thousand four hundred and fifty Naira) on CNG, now in case this is this first time you are you are coming across this word , it stands for compressed natural gas. It is a form of fuel that is a byproduct of oil exploration, you remember the fire in enugu recently while drilling a borehole? Well that is natural gas in its raw form.

Nigeria is blessed with more Gas deposits than crude oil, we are literarily sitting on our destiny, natural gas unlike Petrol or diesel do not require fractional distillation 🤣 , in other words, NO REFINERY is required to process it, what is required is a system of separation, filtration, compression storage and delivery. The applications of CNG are vast, from the automotive sector, to power generating , and even home use for cooking.

If and when harnessed safely and properly like most developed countries, we can effectively lower our costs by about 80!percent and abandon importation of petroleum products.

But again there are factors that hinder the development and expansion the use of CNG. I will use my experience as a case study.

In may 2023 after the presidents speech I decided I was going to lower my transport costs by driving fuel efficient vehicles. I started by buying a toyota Prius 2009, it is a mix of an electric vehicle and a Petrol driven engine. effectively I was able to cover about 860km on a 40L tank highway, and 550km city driving, that was good, but not enough for me.

I started to read up on CNG and after a lot of research, it became my new goal.

I bought a registered hyundai I10 2012

I went for training for CNG installation in automobiles, imported parts, and put together the very vehicle in the video, so far my cost have dropped to an average of N10 per km on higway and N13 per km within the city . For me this is taking back to before the removal of subsidy even better sef.

It was not all smooth sailing , there were a lot of issues and I will list them out.

There are no CNG parts for sale locally: Zero, there is no shop or store selling parts to retrofit a vehicle to dual fuel CNG . This a value chain pregnant and waiting to bring life, sadly investors are scared, and I’ll give you some of the reasons.

FX : Unstable FX has made a lot of investors sit on the fence waiting for the dollar to drop or become stable , no one wants to make a huge loss because he bought goods at high FX rates while his competitor got it lower.

CNG import Waiver: There needs to be transparency on the import waiver and it needs to be gazetted, as it stands it’s just a govt proclamation that needs to be in black and white so investors will be confident before they can invest . It’s all about landing goods at a uniform and competitive price.

Training: It cost me 4 times the national minimum wage to get CNG installation training for a 2week course, that on its own would have been a deterrent if I didn’t have any funding. Trainings should be subsidized, or free, they should be brought down to the average mechanic so it’s use can be accepted. CNG should become part of the curriculum in higher institutions of learning as it is the future of cheap energy.

Duration: It takes a ship 5 weeks to move from china to Apapa, takes a ship 3-4!weeks from Europe or dubai to Apapa. But it takes 7-8weeks to clear goods. This is a national emergency that will change lives and we should have it in express mode as Nigerians are willing and ready .

Refill Stations: I arrived akure from lagos with N2,450, but I will drive back on Petrol because the closest fill up is either in ibadan or benin which makes no economic sense to attempt . Motorists need more refill stations on the highway to make this work. Major routes should be prioritized and more stations created across the nation. It is not an easy task, but it can be done.

Finally Cost!: It costs an average of $230 for a CNG sequential kit and about $150 for a 65L CNG type 1 cylinder . Total $380 (N456,000) this is exclusive of shipping , handling and clearing . Eventually the landing cost of these items are about N600,000 , without factoring in the cost of installation and fabrication of the cylinder mount. Tentatively it would cost N800,000-1m to convert or if I use the right technical term retrofit a single vehicle.

Summary: Prior to the removal of subsidy on PMS I was personally receiving about N200 free of charge from the govt for every 1L of Petrol I bought, now it is gone and there is a cheaper alternative, and it is a 1 off installation, the govt should as a matter of urgency declare a state of emergency in the transportation sector and proffer ways of bringing down the cost of transport using CNG alternatives by subsidizing CNG parts and accessories for motorists in a transparent manner. This will have a ripple effect on almost all sectors of the economy and lower costs and drive down inflation. If implemented properly we have no Bisi importing Petrol or diesel as we are predominantly a GAS endowed nation.

Nigerians are smart, Nigerians are technologically innovative, Nigerians are good business men and women, the govt can not do it alone, all we ask for is a transparent , level playing field, govt incentives , and a healthy enabling business environment on this CNG matter and in less than 12months, transport costs will drop by over 80percent across board. I hope this message gets to a policy maker.

Keep hope alive

Let the poor breathe

Gazzuzz.

For more info on the vehicle and CNG education, follow this link here on nairaland.
https://www.nairaland.com/7811427/demystifying-cng-automobiles

101 Likes 17 Shares

Re: I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:48am On Nov 24, 2023
Lagos- ibadan- abeokuta- , km 45lagos Ibadan express (250km ) on ₦2,438

Hyundai I10! 2012

Engine size : 1.1L

Transmission: 4speed automatic

air conditioning on

Traffic conditions NO

Amount of Gas bought 12.1 SCM

Price N200 per SCM (N2,438)

Top speed 120Km/Hr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_s3wfQAuOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VtOdgJRj6o

42 Likes 8 Shares

Re: I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by doggedfighter(f): 6:48am On Nov 24, 2023
Okay na
Re: I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by doggedfighter(f): 6:49am On Nov 24, 2023
Very cheap

3 Likes

Re: I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by IamCookie(f): 6:52am On Nov 24, 2023
Wow

4 Likes

Re: I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by gasparpisciotta: 6:52am On Nov 24, 2023
Very enlightening

FG should do more work and less talk on this CNG training and installation kits.

This initiative can create 100k jobs if properly implemented

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by DEXTROVERT: 6:53am On Nov 24, 2023
Nice one

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by JealousCobra(m): 7:15am On Nov 24, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

Yes you read it correctly N2,450.(Two thousand four hundred and fifty Naira) on CNG, now in case this is this first time you are you are coming across this word , it stands for compressed natural gas. It is a form of fuel that is a byproduct of oil exploration, you remember the fire in enugu recently while drilling a borehole? Well that is natural gas in its raw form.

Nigeria is blessed with more Gas deposits than crude oil, we are literarily sitting on our destiny, natural gas unlike Petrol or diesel do not require fractional distillation 🤣 , in other words, NO REFINERY is required to process it, what is required is a system of separation, filtration, compression storage and delivery. The applications of CNG are vast, from the automotive sector, to power generating , and even home use for cooking.

If and when harnessed safely and properly like most developed countries, we can effectively lower our costs by about 80!percent and abandon importation of petroleum products.

But again there are factors that hinder the development and expansion the use of CNG. I will use my experience as a case study.

In may 2023 after the presidents speech I decided I was going to lower my transport costs by driving fuel efficient vehicles. I started by buying a toyota Prius 2009, it is a mix of an electric vehicle and a Petrol driven engine. effectively I was able to cover about 860km on a 40L tank highway, and 550km city driving, that was good, but not enough for me.

I went for training for CNG installation in automobiles, imported parts, and put together the very vehicle in the video, so far my cost have dropped to an average of N10 per km on higway and N13 per km within the city . For me this is taking back to before the removal of subsidy even better sef.

It was not all smooth sailing , there were a lot of issues and I will list them out.

There are no CNG parts for sale locally: Zero, there is no shop or store selling parts to retrofit a vehicle to dual fuel CNG . This a value chain pregnant and waiting to bring life, sadly investors are scared, and I’ll give you some of the reasons.

FX : Unstable FX has made a lot of investors sit on the fence waiting for the dollar to drop or become stable , no one wants to make a huge loss because he bought goods at high FX rates while his competitor got it lower.

CNG import Waiver: There needs to be transparency on the import waiver and it needs to be gazetted, as it stands it’s just a govt proclamation that needs to be in black and white so investors will be confident before they can invest . It’s all about landing goods at a uniform and competitive price.

Training: It cost me 4 times the national minimum wage to get CNG installation training for a 2week course, that on its own would have been a deterrent if I didn’t have any funding. Trainings should be subsidized, or free, they should be brought down to the average mechanic so it’s use can be accepted. CNG should become part of the curriculum in higher institutions of learning as it is the future of cheap energy.

Duration : It takes a ship 5 weeks to move from china to Apapa, takes a ship 3-4!weeks from Europe or dubai to Apapa. But it takes 7-8weeks to clear goods. This is a national emergency that will change lives and we should have it in express mode as Nigerians are willing and ready .

Refill Stations : I arrived akure from lagos with N2,450, but I will drive back on Petrol because the closest fill up is either in ibadan or benin which makes no economic sense to attempt . Motorists need more refill stations on the highway to make this work. Major routes should be prioritized and more stations created across the nation. It is not an easy task, but it can be done.

Finally Cost! : It costs an average of $230 for a CNG sequential kit and about $150 for a 65L CNG type 1 cylinder . Total $380 (N456,000) this is exclusive of shipping , handling and clearing . Eventually the landing cost of these items are about N600,000 , without factoring in the cost of installation and fabrication of the cylinder mount. Tentatively it would cost N800,000-1m to convert or if I use the right technical term retrofit a single vehicle.

Summary : Prior to the removal of subsidy on PMS I was personally receiving about N200 free of charge from the govt for every 1L of Petrol I bought, now it is gone and there is a cheaper alternative, and it is a 1 off installation, the govt should as a matter of urgency declare a state of emergency in the transportation sector and proffer ways of bringing down the cost of transport using CNG alternatives by subsidizing CNG parts and accessories for motorists in a transparent manner. This will have a ripple effect on almost all sectors of the economy and lower costs and drive down inflation. If implemented properly we have no Bisi importing Petrol or diesel as we are predominantly a GAS endowed nation.

Nigerians are smart, Nigerians are technologically innovative, Nigerians are good business men and women, the govt can not do it alone, all we ask for is a transparent , level playing field, govt incentives , and a healthy business environment on this CNG matter and in less than 12months, transport costs will drop by over 80percent across board. I hope this message gets to a policy maker.

Keep hope alive

Let the poor breathe

Gazzuzz.

For more info on the vehicle and CNG education, follow this link here on nairaland.

Also subscribe to my YouTube page for more juicy videos as it arrives.

Why red ink? Couldn't read !

😎

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by blackbone989(m): 7:16am On Nov 24, 2023
Can it b done on an MDX n will it b cheaper than gas?

2 Likes

Re: I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:24am On Nov 24, 2023
[
Re: I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by Kenmatt(m): 7:29am On Nov 24, 2023
You carry this small motor dey drive 120 km.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by IVORY2009(m): 7:32am On Nov 24, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

Duration : It takes a ship 5 weeks to move from china to Apapa, takes a ship 3-4!weeks from Europe or dubai to Apapa. But it takes 7-8weeks to clear goods. This is a national emergency that will change lives and we should have it in express mode as Nigerians are willing and ready .

Refill Stations : I arrived akure from lagos with N2,450, but I will drive back on Petrol because the closest fill up is either in ibadan or benin which makes no economic sense to attempt . Motorists need more refill stations on the highway to make this work. Major routes should be prioritized and more stations created across the nation. It is not an easy task, but it can be done.

Finally Cost! : It costs an average of $230 for a CNG sequential kit and about $150 for a 65L CNG type 1 cylinder . Total $380 (N456,000) this is exclusive of shipping , handling and clearing . Eventually the landing cost of these items are about N600,000 , without factoring in the cost of installation and fabrication of the cylinder mount. Tentatively it would cost N800,000-1m to convert or if I use the right technical term retrofit a single vehicle.

Summary : Prior to the removal of subsidy on PMS I was personally receiving about N200 free of charge from the govt for every 1L of Petrol I bought, now it is gone and there is a cheaper alternative, and it is a 1 off installation, the govt should as a matter of urgency declare a state of emergency in the transportation sector and proffer ways of bringing down the cost of transport using CNG alternatives by subsidizing CNG parts and accessories for motorists in a transparent manner. This will have a ripple effect on almost all sectors of the economy and lower costs and drive down inflation. If implemented properly we have no Bisi importing Petrol or diesel as we are predominantly a GAS endowed nation.

Nigerians are smart, Nigerians are technologically innovative, Nigerians are good business men and women, the govt can not do it alone, all we ask for is a transparent , level playing field, govt incentives , and a healthy business environment on this CNG matter and in less than 12months, transport costs will drop by over 80percent across board. I hope this message gets to a policy maker.

Keep hope alive

Let the poor breathe

Gazzuzz.

Also subscribe to my YouTube page for more juicy videos as it arrives.

Good initiative, but your current calculations using dollar to naira is wrong, $380 to 456,000 naira meaning a dollar is 1200, currently dollar at black market is 1140 to 1150

9 Likes

Re: I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by PEACE2023: 7:49am On Nov 24, 2023
GAZZUZZ:
Lagos- ibadan- abeokuta- , km 45lagos Ibadan express (250km ) on ₦2,438

Hyundai I10! 2012

Engine size : 1.1L

Transmission: 4speed automatic

air conditioning on

Traffic conditions NO

Amount of Gas bought 12.1 SCM

Price N200 per SCM (N2,438)

Top speed 120Km/Hr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_s3wfQAuOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VtOdgJRj6o

This is beautiful Gazzuz

4 Likes

Re: I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:49am On Nov 24, 2023
IVORY2009:

Good initiative, but your current calculations using dollar to naira is wrong, $380 to 456,000 naira meaning a dollar is 1200, currently dollar at black market is 1140 to 1150

And I thought it was the engine size or cost of fuel? cheesy

Thanks for the correction.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by joseph1832(m): 7:56am On Nov 24, 2023
Cool
Re: I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by SoNature(m): 7:56am On Nov 24, 2023
Bros is promoting his business!

The initial installation cost is just discouraging.

46 Likes 8 Shares

Re: I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by Eriokanmi: 7:57am On Nov 24, 2023
Dey deceive yourself and be using lies to advertise CNG grin. Is it not same Akure i know? Did you pass through ilesha-Ife highway at all? If I could try it on generator and there was no significant difference, I wonder how it could work on automobile. When the cng was first being over-hyped here. I tackled the OP. Later when some Nigerians got carborateur and tried to convert their petrol gen to cng, they dropped the idea and kept silent.

Even in the USA, the country we used to copy in everything, there are barely 2,000 cng refuelling stations there. Today, petrol and diesel remain efficient means of powering automobile engines. Any Nigerian who falls for this lie the way they fell for the generator would only throw away money once again.

73 Likes 13 Shares

Re: I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by id4sho(m): 7:57am On Nov 24, 2023
Motivational Talk tongue

Don't buy converted CNG cars , buy the follow come undecided

27 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by whytediamond(m): 7:57am On Nov 24, 2023
Wow
Re: I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by WealthyNigerian: 7:57am On Nov 24, 2023
doggedfighter:
Very cheap
Exactly! Especially when he said he drive with AC on throughout the Journey.
This his Pathfinding deed has earned him a spot among those focusing of Helping Humanity. If he continues puuting efforts in things like this, he should be included in the listed: https://www.nairaland.com/7920761/why-kolawole-olawuyi-gbebga-adeboye

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by Blake755: 7:57am On Nov 24, 2023
Nah make e no start skyrocketing soon
Re: I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by aidoko1: 7:58am On Nov 24, 2023
Watin we come dey wait for. Let the filling station begin to roll out nationwide wide then.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by sammyj: 7:58am On Nov 24, 2023
grin With that small car. I no bleaf shocked shocked
Re: I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by Papayaayasager(m): 7:58am On Nov 24, 2023
Dey play
Re: I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by BarrElChapo(m): 7:59am On Nov 24, 2023
🤔
Re: I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by sylve11: 8:00am On Nov 24, 2023
Nice one @op. cool
Re: I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by Lovemeharder(f): 8:00am On Nov 24, 2023
This is unbelievable tho.

2 Likes

Re: I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by benuejosh: 8:00am On Nov 24, 2023
Obi supporters no go like am. Them hate good news from this administration.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by Auskyd(m): 8:01am On Nov 24, 2023
IVORY2009:

Did you perhaps think of the possibility that he bought those things when dollar was at 1200 and not the current rate? Did you see the weeks it took to order and for them to arrive?

Will you check again or just decide to replace your cerebrospinal fluid with ice water?

20 Likes

Re: I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by joseph1832(m): 8:01am On Nov 24, 2023
No CNG parts for sale locally? Hmmm. And the government is busy saying CNG is the way to go. Kai

2 Likes

Re: I Drove From Lagos To Akure With ₦‎2,450 Using CNG As Fuel by OPICANTO2223: 8:02am On Nov 24, 2023
Hmmmmm, my prayer is for a good road. Bad road, accident with gas is death ☠️💀. Gas is highly volatile more than PMS

14 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

5 Things You Do That Are Destroying Your Car / Picture Of Man Transporting A Cow With 'Okada' / See Pics Of Innoson Motors Workers On Duty Amidst Rumour The Company Has Stopped

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.