Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,039 members, 7,828,645 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:28 PM

Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap (5980 Views)

How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria / Want To Quit My Job. Advice Needed Urgently / Not Been Paid For 22 Months Now; Expert Advice Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by Collinsemegreat(m): 7:31pm On Aug 17, 2023
dbestuncle:
Be honest with your desire to get advise.
1. Mention the bank
2. The salary of the security
3. The salary of the bank
4. What town
5. Have you done marketing before and what marketing role. Any infor aboit the marketing stuff

1. Wema
2.52k usually owe two months
3. Over 100k
4. Rather confidential
5. Yes, small scale in school. Sold clothes to students

Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by Collinsemegreat(m): 7:33pm On Aug 17, 2023
samuelson06:

What did you study in school?

Medical Biochemistry
Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by Collinsemegreat(m): 7:34pm On Aug 17, 2023
phkka1:
Do you have head room in the current place you are working? If the answer is no, then time for you to move out. The guy above told you that nothing ventured nothing gained. You need to try new things for you to make gains. Get out of your comfort zone and be adventurous.

No growth!

The job can end anytime
Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by Collinsemegreat(m): 7:35pm On Aug 17, 2023
harmargedon:
if both jobs are within close proximity, take two days off from your old work place, go to the new work place, resume as usual, then get every information you need from the staff there. That will determine if you'd stay or leave. You can call in sick for those two days, it's better to loose few bucks than loose an opportunity.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by Collinsemegreat(m): 7:36pm On Aug 17, 2023
Akalia:
Think two things first : Job security and worklife balance . If the new job offers the both then go for it.

The Bank has better security and I don't work weekends as the later with lesser pay.
Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by Collinsemegreat(m): 7:38pm On Aug 17, 2023
extremelygolden:
People are resigning daily from their banking jobs, and you're heading right in, and as a contract staff? Please pause and think, and read my lips very slowly - BANKING HAS NO JOB SECURITY and likely NO JOB SATISFACTION!

They'll use you, and use you, then discard you when they get tired of you.
And as a contract staff, you have no single career prospect there - all those English in your employment letter, na wash!
Marketing what? The target na die!

If I were you, I will embark on a fast and seek the face of the Lord for this matter. The days working in the bank was everyone's dream, are long gone. Now, na stress, suffer head, beating deadlines, meeting and surpassing targets, and being butted out unexpectedly be their trademark.

But if you plan to leave the country in the nearest future, you can accept the offer, use them to get reference for the embassy, turn around, and give them a heavy kick on the butt in return, then japa.

All in all, I wish you well.

Thank you very much.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by Collinsemegreat(m): 7:39pm On Aug 17, 2023
Mountbatten:
I've worked in the banking sector. Do not go for marketing, retail, teller, cash officer, CSU, or back office operation roles. There's little to no growth as those are not core banking staff.

You will be on that salary for a very long time unless marketing is your passion. You should also note that there's little to no transferrable skills in those roles.

Thank you very much for your advice

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by Collinsemegreat(m): 7:42pm On Aug 17, 2023
extremelygolden:
People are resigning daily from their banking jobs, and you're heading right in, and as a contract staff? Please pause and think, and read my lips very slowly - BANKING HAS NO JOB SECURITY and likely NO JOB SATISFACTION!

They'll use you, and use you, then discard you when they get tired of you.
And as a contract staff, you have no single career prospect there - all those English in your employment letter, na wash!
Marketing what? The target na die!

If I were you, I will embark on a fast and seek the face of the Lord for this matter. The days working in the bank was everyone's dream, are long gone. Now, na stress, suffer head, beating deadlines, meeting and surpassing targets, and being butted out unexpectedly be their trademark.

But if you plan to leave the country in the nearest future, you can accept the offer, use them to get reference for the embassy, turn around, and give them a heavy kick on the butt in return, then japa.

All in all, I wish you well.

Thank you so much... I actually don't want to stay long there... Hoping 2-3years or lesser max just to get my postgraduate as it affords me time.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by Akalia(m): 9:09pm On Aug 17, 2023
Collinsemegreat:

The Bank has better security and I don't work weekends as the later with lesser pay.
From your reply you have already gotten an answer to my question. Follow your heart, stay with a career you have passion for.
Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by extremelygolden: 10:08pm On Aug 17, 2023
Collinsemegreat:

Thank you so much... I actually don't want to stay long there... Hoping 2-3years or lesser max just to get my postgraduate as it affords me time.

That's ok then.

I wish you the very best.
Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by samuelson06(m): 11:44pm On Aug 17, 2023
Collinsemegreat:

Medical Biochemistry

Studying Medical Biochemistry and pursuing a career in the banking/finance sector doesn't make much sense. I understand you have to eat but I don't see you growing in the finance sector. Sooner or later, you'll sort of regret going there. I am saying this because your background isn't strong in banking/finance. I don't know how you are going to start building on Medical Biochemistry to support your banking career.

Do you think the bank will regard your degree in Medical Biochemistry? I doubt. Again, you can't even take advanced courses in banking/finance because you don't have the qualification. Forget that you are scaling through the interview. It's a trap because they know you don't have a background there and promotion is going to be hard for you. I would've encouraged you to take the offer if you studied something like Marketing, Banking/Finance, or any other finance-related course. Trust me, it's easy for banks to employ people that don't have a background in banking/finance than for them to employ those that studied banking/finance.

Consider your degree first in any work that you want to do except you want to go there and struggle. Promotion becomes easy when your course of study is relevant to your job, even if it's in the civil service, it's the same. So, I'll encourage you to look beyond today.

Way forward:
1. Build from your background/degree and go up from there else the degree won't be of much value to you in other areas that the degree isn't relevant. Hence, see how you can start doing something in your field even if it means starting small.
2. Keep your present job and switch to IT. Do a professional course (e.g., web programming, android development, cybersecurity, etc.) so in future, you can work from home for yourself.
3. Seek to volunteer in a very good NGO while switching to relevant NGO courses via PGD => M.Sc (e.g., Demography, Community Development, International Development, Project Management, Public Health, Social Work, etc.). Once you've established your area of development work, you'll also need to acquire some relevant professional certifications.

Final note: Don't go to the bank. Even if you do M.Sc in Medical Biochemistry. They won't regard it. By the way, once you join them, you may not have time to study again.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by Collinsemegreat(m): 5:25am On Aug 18, 2023
Thank you very much, I appreciate your advice.

Although, I honestly don't want to build a career in Banking.

I am considering to be there as from my calculations it will give me more time and stable finance to go for my masters in the next 1-2 years. Then I switch back to my field before I am 30... I believe I can actually have this time as being in the marketing dept.
Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by Oyindamolah: 8:06am On Aug 18, 2023
kiss
extremelygolden:

That's just it! I know of someone who spent 12 years of his life as a contract staff. Stagnated at a spot for that 12 years, without any promotion! Do you know what happened at last? After milking out his youthful years of working with highly wicked bank, they sacked him.

Reason you ask? The bank claimed he's above 40 and ought to have gotten to a certain level at that age. And whose fault when they heartlessly refused to promote him, and every year, they will employ youths his children's age to boss him around.

He naturally went into deep depression, and it took the Grace of God and the counsel of loved ones to pull him through.

Why did he spend so much years stagnated at a spot? He got carried away with false hope and unending-never-fulfilled-promises of the bank! Wearing suits, deceiving himself and everyone around him that he was a banker!

As at the last time I heard of him, he was an Uber driver, and I was so happy for him and his family.

So, let Op have a rethink before he goes to bury his destiny and future on the altar of one yeye lie-lie bank, as a contract staff!

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by Collinsemegreat(m): 4:00pm On Aug 18, 2023
samuelson06:

Studying Medical Biochemistry and pursuing a career in the banking/finance sector doesn't make much sense. I understand you have to eat but I don't see you growing in the finance sector. Sooner or later, you'll sort of regret going there. I am saying this because your background isn't strong in banking/finance. I don't know how you are going to start building on Medical Biochemistry to support your banking career.

Do you think the bank will regard your degree in Medical Biochemistry? I doubt. Again, you can't even take advanced courses in banking/finance because you don't have the qualification. Forget that you are scaling through the interview. It's a trap because they know you don't have a background there and promotion is going to be hard for you. I would've encouraged you to take the offer if you studied something like Marketing, Banking/Finance, or any other finance-related course. Trust me, it's easy for banks to employ people that don't have a background in banking/finance than for them to employ those that studied banking/finance.

Consider your degree first in any work that you want to do except you want to go there and struggle. Promotion becomes easy when your course of study is relevant to your job, even if it's in the civil service, it's the same. So, I'll encourage you to look beyond today.

Way forward:
1. Build from your background/degree and go up from there else the degree won't be of much value to you in other areas that the degree isn't relevant. Hence, see how you can start doing something in your field even if it means starting small.
2. Keep your present job and switch to IT. Do a professional course (e.g., web programming, android development, cybersecurity, etc.) so in future, you can work from home for yourself.
3. Seek to volunteer in a very good NGO while switching to relevant NGO courses via PGD => M.Sc (e.g., Demography, Community Development, International Development, Project Management, Public Health, Social Work, etc.). Once you've established your area of development work, you'll also need to acquire some relevant professional certifications.

Final note: Don't go to the bank. Even if you do M.Sc in Medical Biochemistry. They won't regard it. By the way, once you join them, you may not have time to study again.

Thank you very much.
Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by Collinsemegreat(m): 4:06pm On Aug 18, 2023
samuelson06:

Way forward:

I have plan with the third and second option.

Get funds through the job for MSc in Public Health while on the job as Marketing affords the time, then get out to NGO.
Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by samuelson06(m): 5:06pm On Aug 18, 2023
Collinsemegreat:

I have plan with the third and second option.

Get funds through the job for MSc in Public Health while on the job as Marketing affords the time, then get out to NGO.

The shortest method to succeeding in NGO is building from ground up, doing consultancies here and there, and getting all the referees/recommendations from senior staff.

You can't just break in there to do something better (let's say an officer position) because you have an MSc in Public Health. Remember, you'll be having zero NGO experience. They won't even want to see your banking experience. It'll sort of work against you having a BSc in Medical Biochemistry, worked as a bank marketer, then, acquired MSc in Public Health to run to NGO. That's confusion. Consider your future more than today, at least you are not begging. Take your time and build yourself.

If you are going to the bank, take the IT option along and forget about NGO/Public Health.

All the best.
Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by Collinsemegreat(m): 8:11pm On Aug 18, 2023
samuelson06:

The shortest method to succeeding in NGO is building from ground up, doing consultancies here and there, and getting all the referees/recommendations from senior staff.

You can't just break in there to do something better (let's say an officer position) because you have an MSc in Public Health. Remember, you'll be having zero NGO experience. They won't even want to see your banking experience. It'll sort of work against you having a BSc in Medical Biochemistry, worked as a bank marketer, then, acquired MSc in Public Health to run to NGO. That's confusion. Consider your future more than today, at least you are not begging. Take your time and build yourself.

If you are going to the bank, take the IT option along and forget about NGO/Public Health.

All the best.

Alright.

Thank you very much.
Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by Collinsemegreat(m): 8:12pm On Aug 18, 2023
samuelson06:

All the best.

Mind message you?
Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by samuelson06(m): 8:21pm On Aug 18, 2023
Collinsemegreat:

Mind message you?

Yes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Salary Structure Of Federal Civil Service: Response To Police Salary / What Is The Relationship Between Global Manpower Limited And Globacom / A Thread For Professional & Intending Truck Drivers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.