Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,405 members, 7,812,198 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:56 AM

Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap (5944 Views)

How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria / Want To Quit My Job. Advice Needed Urgently / Not Been Paid For 22 Months Now; Expert Advice Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by Collinsemegreat(m): 6:17pm On Aug 12, 2023
Good day everyone, I recently scaled through an interview with a popular bank as a Marketing Associate. I currently work as a contract Aviation Security Officer... The New role seems like a contract too but provides better pay and benefits with better career opportunities.

But I am kind of afraid to take a leap I am certainly not sure of... I need people who are in this career part to show me what I am going to face with the new role.

I am in the comment section.

I need advice.

3 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by Pojomojo: 6:23pm On Aug 12, 2023
You not hungry

4 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by Collinsemegreat(m): 6:29pm On Aug 12, 2023
Pojomojo:
You not hungry

What do you mean sir?

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by Pojomojo: 6:35pm On Aug 12, 2023
Collinsemegreat:

What do you mean sir?
No ventured nothing gain
Do you like you present state?
Do you wish to have a house of your own or continue to pay rent or squat with people?
Do you wish to remain stagnant?
If yes, is the answer to the questions above, take the dam career leap

4 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by Collinsemegreat(m): 7:06pm On Aug 12, 2023
Pojomojo:
No ventured nothing gain
Do you wish to have a house of your own or continue to pay rent or squat with people?

I really didn't get your take kind of confusing.

To the first question it's a No, the second yes.

How do I come to a conclusion with your analogy?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by Nobody: 1:21pm On Aug 15, 2023
Collinsemegreat:
Good day everyone, I recently scaled through an interview with a popular bank as a Marketing Associate. I currently work as a contract Aviation Security Officer... The New role seems like a contract too but provides better pay and benefits with better career opportunities.

But I am kind of afraid to take a leap I am certainly not sure of... I need people who are in this career part to show me what I am going to face with the new role.

I need advice.

My advise, stay in your current job... Anything bank has no career growth

12 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by mrjoeblinks: 1:22pm On Aug 15, 2023
Ehen?
Take the bank tunnel! There's light at the end of it.
Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by BarrElChapo(m): 1:23pm On Aug 15, 2023
Why did you apply ? If deep within you you're not ready to take this step ?

Everything in life is a risk but with God you'd succeed.

I wish you well in your eventual decision.

5 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by IboHausaYoruba: 1:23pm On Aug 15, 2023
Be bold and face your career. Take the new role, build your CV and be determined. Banking job is stressful especially as a marketer but the joy is; it will expose you to different people both high, middle and low classes. How you make use of this opportunity will go a long way. You also needs to be creative in your role, be distinct and keep pushing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by BigBlackPreek(m): 1:24pm On Aug 15, 2023
Opt for the one that interest you the most that also have career growth on the long run
Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by Nazareth10: 1:26pm On Aug 15, 2023
Opurumiri:

My advise, stay in your current job... Anything bank has no career growth

It always better to put a caveat to this claim.

Career growth in banks depends on your role, expertise and the bank. If you are a top-notch staff, you'll always get a promotion (if you have a good boss) or better still you can move to another bank and get the next level promotion or better pay. Infact, changing organizations for better pay is relatively easy in the banking industry.

7 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by bigdammyj: 1:28pm On Aug 15, 2023
Follow your heart.
Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by samuelson06(m): 1:31pm On Aug 15, 2023
Collinsemegreat:

I need advice.

What did you study in school?
Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by phkka1(m): 1:32pm On Aug 15, 2023
Do you have head room in the current place you are working? If the answer is no, then time for you to move out. The guy above told you that nothing ventured nothing gained. You need to try new things for you to make gains. Get out of your comfort zone and be adventurous.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by dbestuncle: 1:33pm On Aug 15, 2023
Be honest with your desire to get advise.
1. Mention the bank
2. The salary of the security
3. The salary of the bank
4. What town
5. Have you done marketing before and what marketing role. Any infor aboit the marketing stuff

Collinsemegreat:

I need advice.
Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by wittywriter: 1:41pm On Aug 15, 2023
You need follow a carrier path. Be deliberate.

Wittyness

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by GrammarNazi1(m): 1:55pm On Aug 15, 2023
Collinsemegreat:

I need advice.

Since the new job seems better in a lot of ways, please go for it.
Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by Skillsnigeria: 1:56pm On Aug 15, 2023
Hmmm
Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by ScholarConsult: 1:57pm On Aug 15, 2023
Collinsemegreat:

I need advice.
It looks like the new job may be better. I think you should take the new job.

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by harmargedon: 2:06pm On Aug 15, 2023
Collinsemegreat:

I need advice.
if both jobs are within close proximity, take two days off from your old work place, go to the new work place, resume as usual, then get every information you need from the staff there. That will determine if you'd stay or leave. You can call in sick for those two days, it's better to loose few bucks than loose an opportunity.

3 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by Akalia(m): 2:31pm On Aug 15, 2023
Collinsemegreat:

I need advice.
Think two things first : Job security and worklife balance . If the new job offers the both then go for it.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by LARRYOBRAIN(m): 2:50pm On Aug 15, 2023
Stay where you are or you regret later.
Collinsemegreat:

I need advice.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by thesicilian: 3:54pm On Aug 15, 2023
At the end of the day, the major regrets that most people have is not taking advantage of opportunities that came their way.

My advice is take that leap!

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by jimmyvic(m): 5:02pm On Aug 15, 2023
You speak like a Senior Manager at GNLD or Neolife grin grin
Pojomojo:
No ventured nothing gain
Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by extremelygolden: 5:46pm On Aug 15, 2023
People are resigning daily from their banking jobs, and you're heading right in, and as a contract staff? Please pause and think, and read my lips very slowly - BANKING HAS NO JOB SECURITY and likely NO JOB SATISFACTION!

They'll use you, and use you, then discard you when they get tired of you.
And as a contract staff, you have no single career prospect there - all those English in your employment letter, na wash!
Marketing what? The target na die!

If I were you, I will embark on a fast and seek the face of the Lord for this matter. The days working in the bank was everyone's dream, are long gone. Now, na stress, suffer head, beating deadlines, meeting and surpassing targets, and being butted out unexpectedly be their trademark.

But if you plan to leave the country in the nearest future, you can accept the offer, use them to get reference for the embassy, turn around, and give them a heavy kick on the butt in return, then japa.

All in all, I wish you well.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by Mountbatten: 6:57pm On Aug 15, 2023
I've worked in the banking sector. Do not go for marketing, retail, teller, cash officer, CSU, or back office operation roles. There's little to no growth as those are not core banking staff.

You will be on that salary for a very long time unless marketing is your passion. You should also note that there's little to no transferrable skills in those roles.

5 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by Dammyseyon(m): 9:40pm On Aug 15, 2023
extremelygolden:
People are resigning daily from their banking jobs, and you're heading right in, and as a contract staff? Please pause and think, and read my lips very slowly - BANKING HAS NO JOB SECURITY and likely NO JOB SATISFACTION!

And as a contract staff, you have no single career prospect there - all those English in your employment letter, na wash!

If I were you, I will embark on a fast and seek the face of the Lord for this matter. The days working in the bank was everyone's dream, are long gone. Now, na stress, suffer head, beating deadlines, meeting and surpassing targets, and being butted out unexpectedly be their trademark.

But if you plan to leave the country in the nearest future, you can accept the offer, use them to get reference for the embassy, turn around, and give them a heavy kick on the butt in return, then japa.

Spot on! Everything you said here is true. I am currently in this situation.

I don't have any advice for op, just follow your instincts

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by Oyindamolah: 1:22pm On Aug 16, 2023
FACT my neigor was retrenched and realise he waisted 8yrs of his life, his starting a business before the year ends, his advise to young graduate never work in a bank as a contract staff
extremelygolden:

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Taking A Career Leap by extremelygolden: 5:57pm On Aug 16, 2023
Oyindamolah:
FACT my neigor was retrenched and realise he waisted 8yrs of his life, his starting a business before the year ends, his advise to young graduate never work in a bank as a contract staff

That's just it! I know of someone who spent 12 years of his life as a contract staff. Stagnated at a spot for that 12 years, without any promotion! Do you know what happened at last? After milking out his youthful years of working with highly wicked bank, they sacked him.

Reason you ask? The bank claimed he's above 40 and ought to have gotten to a certain level at that age. And whose fault when they heartlessly refused to promote him, and every year, they will employ youths his children's age to boss him around.

He naturally went into deep depression, and it took the Grace of God and the counsel of loved ones to pull him through.

Why did he spend so much years stagnated at a spot? He got carried away with false hope and unending-never-fulfilled-promises of the bank! Wearing suits, deceiving himself and everyone around him that he was a banker!

As at the last time I heard of him, he was an Uber driver, and I was so happy for him and his family.

So, let Op have a rethink before he goes to bury his destiny and future on the altar of one yeye lie-lie bank, as a contract staff!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Salary Structure Of Federal Civil Service: Response To Police Salary / Arik Air An Organisation Without Structure / 10 Tips To Be Successful As A Youth In His/her Career

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.