Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,101 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:31 AM

What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? (12623 Views)

10 Countries With The Largest Number Of Christians- Statisense / Christian Association Protests Against Killings Of Christians By Fulani Herdsmen / Pictures Of Christians Celebrating Easter Around The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by shogotermies(m): 7:03pm On Aug 12, 2023
I just wanted to ask this short quick question.
What do you think of Christians who goes to work or open their shops on Sunday?

My personal opinions are;
Except you’re a 7th Day Adventist Christian, a university student (probably needing to attend a tutorial) and a government worker e.g Health workers and Security outfits.
I believe God made Sunday for rest and he commanded it.

What is your own opinion?
And if I’m wrong, tell me why with scriptural references. Thanks in advance

Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by EDOSBROWN: 7:04pm On Aug 12, 2023
Hardworking, nothing else
If u eat on Sunday, I see nothing wrong in working on Sunday

145 Likes 8 Shares

Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by wittywriter: 7:07pm On Aug 12, 2023
Waiting for comments....lolz

My own question is do Christian Religion members watch BigBrother9ja on Sundays? If you are not kindly ignore.

drololaaof:

Good question .
We are not Jews, the person that post this thread are in the group of the so called ministers of God
that waste the whole in the church but underneath their hand heart are not clean
lovemaths:
I work in a transport company, so I work on Sundays.

Wittyness

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by illicit(m): 7:08pm On Aug 12, 2023
We have doctors/nurses/surgeons, police men, firemen, soldiers, Engineers, prison warders that works anytime/anyday

Pastors work on Sundays, don't they?

God knows

75 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by Maynman: 7:17pm On Aug 12, 2023
shogotermies:

Except you’re a 7th Day Adventist Christian, a university student (probably needing to attend a tutorial) and a government worker e.g Health workers and Security outfits.

Your Sun-Day is from Roman Catholic.

22 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by BirtherOfKings(f): 7:28pm On Aug 12, 2023
Look for another job quickly by asking for the help of the Holy Spirit, still keep working but attend church online every Sunday..if u are catholic..u can attend first mass or evening mass

Remember wen I use to work for jumia customer service, started serious prayer to stop Sunday work and got another work after a few months.

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by GanagiBitrus: 7:29pm On Aug 12, 2023
Christianity is not against going to work on Sundays, so it's not a sin.

But anything that will deprive you time to effectively serve God is a sin.

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:32pm On Aug 12, 2023
shogotermies:

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Colossians 2:16

19 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by Puss360(f): 7:42pm On Aug 12, 2023
The bible didn't specify when is the Sabbath day...
And besides the Sabbath day was meant to be kept holy...

In my opinion, I see nothing wrong in going to work or business on Sunday, at least after you have gone to church...

That's if you are a Christian ooo
And remember, Christianity and Islam isn't the only religion...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by ahnie: 7:46pm On Aug 12, 2023
I work on Sundays,I don't miss it.

4 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by funshint(m): 7:54pm On Aug 12, 2023
God bless all those that have no choice but to work on Sundays...they are the real MVPs!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by orisa37: 8:04am On Aug 13, 2023
WORK AND PRAY. JESUS IS THE LORD OF THE SABBATH.

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by Exmilitant(m): 8:07am On Aug 13, 2023
Those who devote time for God/Goddess are more productive.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by GENES11S: 9:59am On Aug 13, 2023
Mathew 12:1

At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath.

His disciples were hungry and began to pick some heads of grain and eat them.

Mathew 12:2

When the Pharisees saw this, they said to him, “Look! Your disciples are doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath.”

Mathew 12:3-4

He answered, “Haven’t you read what David did when he and his companions were hungry?

He entered the house of God, and he and his companions ate the consecrated bread—which was not lawful for them to do, but only for the priests.

Mathew 12:6-7

I tell you that something greater than the temple is here.

If you had known what these words mean, ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned the innocent.

What Jesus is saying here is that it is ok to work on the Sabbath day if you are hungry. That is if you need the work to feed yourself.

After all, can a hungry man have strength to serve God or dance in church?

Don't tell me the holy spirit is the only strength you need. The holy spirit was with Jesus everywhere he goes.

His disciples were the closest to him and they were doing what we do today (preaching the world of God). Yet they had to stop at the grainfields (a farm) to havest grains to feed on. The Bible said they were hungry.

Jesus then went further to clarify what is really important in verse 6 and 7.

He said something greater than the temple is here. referring to himself..

That he desire mercy, not sacrifice.

The temple in this context is what we may refer to as the Church. So he is telling us that we shouldn't lose focus of what Christianity is really all about. And that is him, Jesus Christ.

We sacrificing our work, hunger to go to church is not what he desire. He desire mercy.

What is mercy?

Oxford languages dictionary define Mercy as compassion or forgiveness shown towards someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.

The Pharisees wouldn't have condemned his deciple if they new that mercy is what God desires.

Funny thing was that Jesus and his deciples were actually heading to the synagogue. They got this condemnation from the Pharisees just because they were seen havesting fruits and eating in the farm.

So we should learn to understand people before we condemned them. If someone is not going to church, approach the person to know why.
Try to look at things from their perspective and offer a solution (if you can) that might them. Don't just jump into condemnation.

People who go to church are not better than those who do not go to church.

We are all children of God and should advice non Church goers on the importance of going to church rather than imposing our superiority over them.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by Lannyjoe4u: 10:00am On Aug 13, 2023
It's well. God is an understanding being
Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by Hezzyluv: 10:00am On Aug 13, 2023
After the church service, u can go and open your shop if you wish to. The most important thing in a Christian is genuine relationship with Jesus Christ.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by phemmyfour: 10:01am On Aug 13, 2023
shogotermies:

Read your Bible OP, Christ is the Lord of the Sabbath . It's not a sin to work on the Sabbath day

Mt 12:2-8

2 When the Pharisees saw this, they said to him, “Look! Your disciples are doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath.”

3He answered, “Haven’t you read what David did when he and his companions were hungry? 4He entered the house of God, and he and his companions ate the consecrated bread—which was not lawful for them to do, but only for the priests. 5Or haven’t you read in the Law that the priests on Sabbath duty in the temple desecrate the Sabbath and yet are innocent? 6I tell you that something greater than the temple is here. 7If you had known what these words mean, ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice,’ a you would not have condemned the innocent. 8 For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath.”

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by success1smyn(m): 10:01am On Aug 13, 2023
K
Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by AmotekunSW: 10:02am On Aug 13, 2023
shogotermies:

You news scriptural backing to work on Sunday, abi?
Don't worry. It seems your parents are still feeding you.

5 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by Porksupplyib: 10:03am On Aug 13, 2023
Hmm
Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by Adesam7205: 10:03am On Aug 13, 2023
Shey church wan give am money

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by gbaskiboy: 10:04am On Aug 13, 2023
D
Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by Vinnie2000(m): 10:04am On Aug 13, 2023
They are mostly Victims of Circumstances. undecided

I remember in 2014 I was working as a Security Guard,
Na Everyday including Sunday I dey go work.😒

Even Pple who in Hotels, Shopping Malls, etc go to work on Sunday. 😕

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by spencekat(m): 10:04am On Aug 13, 2023
If one unavoidably works on Sunday,there are other days in a week one can attend church service apart from Sunday.

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by GboyegaD(m): 10:04am On Aug 13, 2023
He who did not work is only inviting him(her)self to poverty. There's no big deal working on Sunday if your duty calls for it.

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 10:05am On Aug 13, 2023
"I watched them pull down the building without allowing me remove any item before the demolition. As a result of the trauma, I lost my one month old pregnancy.

"I also incurred the following loses;

1. cooking utensils 2. Furniture 3.Electric appliances

4. Chillers

5. Deep freezers

6. Bemarrings out door catering utensils

7. Cash, et al worth over #32 million, as the place was abruptly vandalised after the demolition.

"I plan to seek legal redress for defamation of my character and the loss of my properties in the building."

PREMIUM TIMES shared Ms Yakubu's statement with a spokesperson to Mr El-Rufai, Muyiwa Adekeye, requesting a reaction. There was no response as of the time this report was published.
Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by Porksupplyib: 10:05am On Aug 13, 2023
GanagiBitrus:
Christianity is not against going to work on Sundays, so it's not a sin.

But anything that will deprive you time to effectively serve God is a sin.

Smiles. I hope you know "going to church" isn't the same thing as "serving God"

Going to church is simply having communion with the one another. And sharing God's word to strengthen one another in the faith. It is not serving God.

Serving God is what you do all the days of the week. It is what you do with your life.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by Olarewaju89: 10:06am On Aug 13, 2023
You can not go to work every Sunday. There are some Sunday you go to work and there are some Sunday you don't go. Just keep pushing forward and trust God for another job that will allow you to serve your God wholeheartedly.

Remember Bible says "do not forsake the assembly of your brethren"
Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by Jokerman(m): 10:06am On Aug 13, 2023
If there are two services.... If he/she can't make morning service, they can make evening.

Moreover there are weekday services too
Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by WardLeader152: 10:07am On Aug 13, 2023
Hustler
Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by wunmi590(m): 10:07am On Aug 13, 2023

If they don't work on sunday, how will they feed, how will they pay tithe?

Even the bible says give ceaser to ceaser and God what belongs to God...

So they need to work, so as to be able to cater for themselves and even the need of the church...

So that's why most churches ⛪️ now have different service hours to cater for everybody's timing....

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Of Christians That Go To Work On Sunday? by demoBaba: 10:08am On Aug 13, 2023
shogotermies:

A pastor friend of my, relocated to Canada last year, my guy hasn't step his foot at church since last year. Work work work even on Sunday. Nigeria situation make you believed without attending church you can't make progress.

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) / Win A Soul For Allah: Lexiconkabi And Other Muslims, Please Enter / Is It Bad To Drop An Empty Offering Envelope In Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.