Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,951 members, 7,810,635 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:30 PM

Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century (7969 Views)

Ghana's Currency Slumps To World’s Worst Performer Versus Dollar / Japan To Fund Firms To Shift Production Out Of China / Melania Trump Visits The Great Pyramid And The Sphinx In Egypt (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by budaatum: 9:10pm On Aug 13, 2023
Botragelad:

The keyword in my statement was "prediction and reasoning based on fact and logic". What I mean by that is that I made a guess or a hypothesis about the future, based on some evidence and analysis that I found or did. That's what a prediction is, according to the Oxford English Dictionary. And that's what reasoning is, according to the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. It's not a fact or a truth, but a possible outcome or explanation.

My initial prediction about US world dominance for a 100 years was based on facts and logic, because I used some data and arguments that support my view. I didn't just make it up or say it without any reason. I tried to be objective and rational, not subjective and emotional.

I don't mean to be rude or harsh, but do you understand what I'm saying? I'm not trying to force my opinion on you, or say that I'm right and you're wrong. I'm just trying to share my perspective and explain how I came to it. That's why I asked you to go back and read my initial comment, so you can see where I'm coming from. Maybe then you'll understand better!

First, no matter how much you claim to be being objective, the fact remains that you are stating your subjective opinion and subjective perspective just as we all are, please note. And the fact that you feel the need to patronise and condescend and be rude and harsh shows a lack of rational and an awful lot of emotion.

I do perfectly understand what you are saying, and I value it too, which is why I am offended by you seeming rude. Your opinion and perspective is shared, just not fully agreed with, but that does not in any way reduce the value of your intelligent and carefully considered opinion, and I'd hope you wouldn't reduce its value and importance with unnecessary rudeness.

My own perspective and opinion is that America is currently going through an upheaval that is bound to have huge impact and consequences which might include it losing a great deal of its hegemony. Their political divide alone is a huge threat to them is what I see, and many countries are already standing up to them, which is why they are being so protective and keep the likes of Iran and Russia out of international trade. Just those two countries will tank world wide energy prices and make America dependent on imports as their oil and gas wouldn't be profitably gotten out of the ground. And where would the mighty dollar be then?

Just think Nigeria, which was hegemonised (if I am permitted to make up such a word) by Britain, not only gained independence from them, but abandoned their form of governance, and Christianity, and adopted America's. Same way countries that accept US hegemony might tell them too to fuq off just as coup countries are currently now telling France to finally do.

In my own crystal ball, I can see the dollar taken out of American control and truly becoming the world currency such that America can't print it anymore, but I must confess that my crystal ball is made in Aba and arrived with a crack in it so it might be telling me wrong, especially since nothing indicates this may ever happen. I would be very stupid to present my guessed opinion as objective fact though, because it very much isn't that at all and is just a subjective speculative guessed factless hypothetical opinion at best.

Please know that these sort of topics are rare, and participants even rarer, so it's refreshing conversing with you here who intelligently considers it, sans the ......

Thank you too pansophist for the intelligent thread. May we live long enough to see what really happens.

7 Likes

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by budaatum: 9:51pm On Aug 13, 2023
The graph below shows how difficult it would be to reduce the US Dollar and it's hegemony.

https://wolfstreet.com/2023/04/02/status-of-us-dollar-as-global-reserve-currency-v-exchange-rates-slow-long-term-decline-on-track/

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Jane74(f): 10:18pm On Aug 13, 2023
seguno2:

Are they also an economic minority?

Yes. BRICS countries overtake G7 countries in terms of GDP. Even a group that includes Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa overtook the G7 countries in terms of economic indicators.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by seguno2: 10:32pm On Aug 13, 2023
Jane74:

Yes. BRICS countries overtake G7 countries in terms of GDP. Even a group that includes Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa overtook the G7 countries in terms of economic indicators.

Why don’t you just share the economic indicators
Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Jane74(f): 10:38pm On Aug 13, 2023
Botragelad:

Arab countries still price their oil in dollars because of a historical agreement they made with the United States in the 1970s...

King Faisal Ibn Abdul Aziz al-Saud once told Nixon about the agreement "trading oil for dollar in exchange for security" that this contract is mutually beneficial, and if relations between the two countries worsen, the United States will lose first of all.
"The Arabs have lived modestly in the desert all their lives, and if the agreement is upset, they will return to their usual way of life again. However, the United States, and, first of all, the American currency, may collapse from this".

As early as March 15, 2022, wsj wrote that Saudi Arabia had begun negotiations with China to trade oil for yuan. see https://www.wsj.com/articles/saudi-arabia-considers-accepting-yuan-instead-of-dollars-for-chinese-oil-sales-11647351541

And countries that are not US satellites are getting rid of US government debt.
For example, China in four years (since 2019) got rid of 30% of its assets, reducing the amount of investments by more than $250 billion
Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Botragelad: 10:40pm On Aug 13, 2023
pansophist:

Please observe the following realities on the ground.

1. Over 100 countries globally (actually over 150) have China as their largest trading partner. Please see the attached illustration

2. China has real international friends, not puppets, vassals, client states, and subservient stooges like the US.

3. The so-called strength of the US is built on US dollars. If it crashes, US hegemony crashes as well.

4. Most countries are trading with dollars not because it is involatile, but because there is no alternative yet. If an alternative emerges, the migration will be swift. Take a clue from the British pound or the Spanish golden dollar.

5. The US debt, no matter the argument to make seems like it is not a problem is actually a problem. The reason why the world can not feel inflation is because inflation is shared by all countries holding it.

So for example, if ten people have 10 USD each, inflation will not be felt by the ten people because they all suffer from it equally. Proof of this is that the USD has lost 90% of its value since the 1960s. So if you have 10 cents in the 60s, it is worth a dollar now.

6. Hegemony is not compatible with multipolarism. The global south which makes up the world population does not want it. US hegemony could thrive for about seven decades because other powers were beaten down after ww2 and were building themselves up.

They have arrived, and they will take their place, and the global south will align behind them. It is only a matter of time.

7. A feature of a superpower is its industry, technology, finances, population, low external debt, diplomacy, military, and allies. China scores very high in all these areas, the US does not.

8. Military bases are powerless in the face of economics. Since the basis of US military bases is to provide security for the host countries, then it should normally not interfere with China which is providing economic access to such countries.

The military base will become nothing but a guard dog to the Chinese and the host state interest, or otherwise, it will expose its true aim as an occupying force for what it is.

9. If just under 22 years (judging from the year China joined WTO) it could develop rapidly, move over 800M people out of poverty, and a nee-peer competitor of the US, what does the 21st century hold for China? May I also remind you that China alone grew more economically that the whole G7 combined annually in the past years?

10. China has the largest standing army on earth and is not interested in fighting wars outside its vicinity. In the event of a war, can the US actually defeat China in its territory?

Do not overestimate the US, and underestimate the new sheriff in town. The world is undergoing a huge paradigm shift, and it is not in favor of the US hegemony.

1) First of all, China might have more trading partners than the US, but that's just one aspect of their economic relationship. The US still has a larger and more diverse economy, and it's more innovative and competitive than China. The US also has a stronger currency, the dollar, which is used as the world's reserve currency. That means that many countries use the dollar to trade with each other, and they hold dollars in their foreign exchange reserves. This gives the US a lot of influence and power in the global financial system.

But you can't just look at the economy when you compare China and the US. You also have to consider their political, diplomatic, military, and technological aspects. And in these areas, the US has many advantages over China. The US is a democracy with a free press, a vibrant civil society, and a strong rule of law. China is an authoritarian regime that suppresses human rights, censors information, and cracks down on dissent.

2) The US has many allies and partners around the world who share its values and interests. China has few friends and many rivals who distrust its intentions and actions. The US has a powerful and professional military that can project force globally and defend its interests and allies. China has a large but outdated military that is mainly focused on its own region and faces many challenges in modernizing and operating abroad. The US is a leader in science and technology, especially in fields like biotechnology, artificial intelligence, aerospace, and cyber security. China is trying to catch up, but it still lags behind in many areas and relies on stealing or copying from others.

So don't be fooled by the propaganda talk about the US using countries as puppets. Partners are partners/allies, not puppets. The US is not forcing anyone to be its ally. It's offering them cooperation and assistance based on mutual respect and benefit. That's how alliances work.

3). And think that the strength of the US is only based on the dollar. The US can still survive if the dollar crashes, although it would be very painful and difficult. The US has a resilient and adaptable economy that can recover from shocks and crises. It also has a diverse and creative society that can overcome challenges and find solutions. The fact that the dollar has been the world's reserve currency for so long shows how strong the US is, not how weak it is.

4) Again, you lie about there being no alternative currency to the dollar. There are other currencies that can be used for international trade and finance, such as the euro, the yen, or even the renminbi (the Chinese currency). But most countries won't dare to trade in those currencies because they are either too unstable, too controlled, or too risky. They prefer to use the dollar because it is more reliable, more liquid, and more accepted.

5) Who said the US debt is not a problem?. It is a problem, but not an insurmountable one. The US debt is mainly owed to its own citizens or institutions, not to foreign creditors like China. The US also has a strong credit rating and a low borrowing cost, which means that it can service its debt without much difficulty. And the US economy has always proven to take care of stuff like that by growing faster than its debt. Dude!

6) Don't worry about inflation being felt by the countries holding dollars or whatever BS you are talking about. Inflation is mainly a domestic phenomenon that affects the purchasing power of consumers within a country. It does not affect the exchange rate of currencies between countries, unless there is hyperinflation or currency crisis. Countries holding dollars can still use them to buy goods or services from other countries at market prices.

7) Hegemony means that one country dominates or controls other countries through its superior power or influence. Multipolarism means that there are several countries or regions that have comparable power or influence in world affairs. The US is is a leader among equals.

cool According to you, the reason the US has thrived for decades is because other countries were beaten down in World War II. That's a very simplistic and inaccurate view of history. The US has thrived for decades because of its own hard work, innovation, entrepreneurship, and leadership. It has also helped other countries to recover and prosper after the war, through initiatives like the Marshall Plan, the Bretton Woods system, and the NATO alliance. The US has been a force for good in the world, not a force for evil.

9)Never you underestimate the US in terms of infrastructure, technology, diplomacy, military and allies. The US is better than China in all these areas, and that's what makes it a superpower. The US has a vast and modern infrastructure that connects its cities and regions, and supports its economy and society. China has a lot of infrastructure too, but much of it is low-quality, wasteful, or environmentally damaging. The US has a cutting-edge technology sector that produces world-class innovations and products that shape the future. China has a lot of technology too, but much of it is copied, stolen, or controlled by the state. The US has a sophisticated diplomacy that engages with other countries and multilateral institutions on a range of issues and challenges. China has a lot of diplomacy too, but much of it is aggressive, coercive, or self-serving. The US has a formidable military that can defend its interests and allies anywhere in the world. China has a lot of military too, but much of it is outdated, untested, or limited by geography. The US has a network of allies and partners that share its values and vision for a free and open world. China has few allies and partners, unlike the US and most of them are authoritarian or unreliable.

10) China may have grown more economically than the whole G7 combined annually, but that's mainly because it started from a very low base and used unfair practices to boost its growth,well most countries do that. China may have lifted millions of people out of poverty, but that's mainly because it kept them in poverty for so long under its communist system. China may have the largest standing army in the world, but that doesn't mean it has the best or the winning army. The size of an army doesn't matter as much as its quality, training, equipment, doctrine, morale, and leadership. And the US army is way better than China's in all these aspects, because of its experience and tactical warfare skills. Just look at what happened in Ukraine: Russia has a larger army than Ukraine, but it still can't defeat it or take over its territory completely.

So don't worry about a shift in the world order. There is a huge probability that the US will still continue to dominate the world for a long time to come, because of its strengths and advantages in all domains. The US is not perfect; it has its problems and challenges too. But it also has the ability and the will to overcome them and to improve itself. The US is not a declining power; it is a resilient and dynamic power that can adapt to changing circumstances and opportunities.
Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Jane74(f): 10:48pm On Aug 13, 2023
I do not understand why we are talking about a hundred years of US hegemony in the future?

The United States from an overseas province of no interest to anyone turned into a world-class power only as a result of World War II, but the US was not the hegemon.
Because there was the USSR smiley

The United States became the world hegemon only after the collapse of the USSR.

Today is 2023 on the calendar and the US is no longer the world hegemon. And the US ceased to be the world hegemon obviously not yesterday.

In total, we can only talk about a few decades of hegemony in the past, which from the point of view of history is an instant.

In future history textbooks, they may not even write a single line about this. The fact that the United States - the world hegemon was once

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Jane74(f): 10:56pm On Aug 13, 2023
pansophist:

4. Most countries are trading with dollars not because it is involatile, but because there is no alternative yet. If an alternative emerges, the migration will be swift. Take a clue from the British pound or the Spanish golden dollar.

the funny thing is that in 2023 the share of the dollar in world trade is only 40%
Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Jane74(f): 11:04pm On Aug 13, 2023
Botragelad:

The US has many allies and partners around the world who share its values and interests.

So don't be fooled by the propaganda talk about the US using countries as puppets. Partners are partners/allies, not puppets.

What is the difference between a partner/ally and a puppet?

It seems to me that a partner / ally can have their own interests, but a puppet does not.

Do you think that Germany is an ally / partner of the United States?

Has Germany voluntarily abandoned Russia's cheap energy resources?

Was it in Germany's national interests to ruin its own industry?

ROFL

Or is it fooled propaganda that the German economy is in recession, that the Russian economy has overtaken the German economy?

For comparison, I will give an example: relations between Turkey and Russia.

Since the emergence of the Republic of Turkey instead of the Ottoman Empire, Turkey has always been and is a pragmatic partner for the USSR / Russia.

Not an ally, but a partner.

For Russia, this is the best option for a border neighbor - a pragmatic partner.

and allies..

The Russian emperor Alexander III once said: Russia has only two allies - its army and navy.

Unions between equal countries can only be situational. Yesterday an ally, today not. In one situation, an ally, in another not - this is normal for equal countries.

7 Likes

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by budaatum: 11:08pm On Aug 13, 2023
Botragelad:

This is because it(The US) still has many advantages and allies. World's largest and most advanced economy, with a strong innovation and entrepreneurship culture. World's most powerful and influential military, with a global network of bases and alliances. Many allies and partners in Europe, Asia, Africa, and Latin America, who share its values and interests. The US can leverage its strengths and alliances to counter the challenges posed by China or Indonesia, as well as to cooperate with them on common issues. Easy!

A blind old English friend of mine was always warning me about China taking over Africa. We should not trust them he'd tell me, and we'd get emotional about it. I couldn't understand how he'd think China that recently learnt from their Edict of Haijin and now needed friends would go and be asses like the British had been. And I wondered if he thought we'd be so stupid to have not learnt to not let anyone do what they did to us. It's not like he was blind all his life, only losing one eye after retiring and the other slowly following such that he never heard of slavery.

Imagine this speculation. China opens its borders to Africa. Anyone want come, come.

Wouldn't America be challenged from its hege I wonder, when we all go live in Shanghai? It's not like America can open its border to Africa or even Mexico, and the dollars they print is barely getting to their own masses as it is and inflation limits their ink.
Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Jane74(f): 11:31pm On Aug 13, 2023
seguno2:

enjoy:
https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.MKTP.PP.CD
Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Jane74(f): 12:26am On Aug 14, 2023
Botragelad:
Nice thread......
I think it is possible that the United States will still be the world power in the next 100 years.

Can you please explain, how America can be the world power in the next 100 years, if even today China is ahead of the United States economically, and Russia is ahead of the United States militarily?

According to the IMF and the World Bank, China is the world's leading economy today.

and as for the prospects for the G7 as a whole .. for example, here is an article in May in Financial Times "The G7 must accept that it cannot run the world" [url][/url]https://www.ft.com/content/c8cf024d-87b7-4e18-8fa2-1b8a3f3fbba1

As for military power, back in 2021, the former US ambassador to Russia complained, that Russia is ahead of America in some aspects of the field of weapons, and this is a "frightening fact".
first of all, we are talking about nuclear weapons. Not only did it come as a legacy from the USSR, Russian leader Vladimir Putin invested a "fantastic amount of money" in upgrading certain systems.

Yes, Russia is ahead of the United States not only in the number of nuclear warheads, but (most importantly) in delivery vehicles.

In recent years, nuclear parity between countries has been violated for the first time. Because of the latest delivery vehicles, because of systems like Poseidon, Russia can launch a preemptive strike with unacceptable damage and go unpunished.

3 Likes

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by joyandfaith: 1:58am On Aug 14, 2023
mysticwarrior:
You are very wrong on this.
How?
Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Gerrard59(m): 4:11am On Aug 14, 2023
Botragelad:

Again,I already gave you reasons why I think these new kids on the block can get no close to US present position of world dominance.
You just be a clown if you think the US cares only about LGBTQ rights in the Arab countries and the continent I mentioned! You're having a laugh.The US has and share many other interests in those regions, such as oil, trade, security, and democracy. It's a superpower that wants to

And please don't twist my words, I didn't say Africans have no say in geopolitics. I was just responding to your claim that Europe is about to become a failed and poorest continent. I gave you some reasons why that's unlikely to happen, and how Africa is still way behind Europe in most aspects. That's not an insult, that's a fact . So I was kind of telling you to self reflect.

Show me where I stated that Europe is going to be a failed and poor continent?

If this is where you got it from:

So Europe, like Japan and Korea, would face severe demographic problems. However, Europe's own would be worse because the migrants have distinctive cultures, and Europe is abut to the world's poorest continent.

Please check the meaning of "abut" before accusing me wrongly. We are on the same Internet.

1 Like

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Botragelad: 4:24am On Aug 14, 2023
Jane74:

Can you please explain, how America can be the world power in the next 100 years, if even today China is ahead of the United States economically, and Russia is ahead of the United States militarily?

According to the IMF and the World Bank, China is the world's leading economy today.

and as for the prospects for the G7 as a whole .. for example, here is an article in May in Financial Times "The G7 must accept that it cannot run the world" [url][/url]https://www.ft.com/content/c8cf024d-87b7-4e18-8fa2-1b8a3f3fbba1

As for military power, back in 2021, the former US ambassador to Russia complained, that Russia is ahead of America in some aspects of the field of weapons, and this is a "frightening fact".
first of all, we are talking about nuclear weapons. Not only did it come as a legacy from the USSR, Russian leader Vladimir Putin invested a "fantastic amount of money" in upgrading certain systems.

Yes, Russia is ahead of the United States not only in the number of nuclear warheads, but (most importantly) in delivery vehicles.

In recent years, nuclear parity between countries has been violated for the first time. Because of the latest delivery vehicles, because of systems like Poseidon, Russia can launch a preemptive strike with unacceptable damage and go unpunished.

1)First of all, the US can still be the world power in the next 100 years, even though China might be economically doing better than them, according to you. That's because the US has many advantages over China, not just in terms of economy, but also in terms of politics, democracy, human rights, innovation, technology, culture, and alliances. The US is a leader in many fields that shape the future of the world. It also has many friends and partners around the world who share its values and vision for a free and open world.
China, on the other hand, has many problems and challenges that could limit its growth and influence, such as authoritarianism, corruption, pollution, debt, aging population, and regional conflicts.

2) Well,China is not necessarily better than the US economically. It depends on how you measure it. If you look at the nominal GDP (the value of goods and services produced within a country's borders), the US is still the largest economy in the world, with $20.9 trillion or thereabout in 2020 .
If you look at the GDP per capita (the average income of a person in a country), the US is much richer than China, with $63,416 in 2020 while China is only $10,484 or thereabout, about six times smaller.
If you look at the PPP GDP (the value of goods and services produced within a country adjusted for purchasing power parity), China is slightly ahead of the US, couldn't get a reliable figure. But PPP GDP is not a very reliable indicator of economic power or well-being, because it does not reflect the actual prices or incomes in different countries.

3)Now coming to Russia. Russia is not greater than the US in terms of military. The US has a much stronger and more capable military than Russia, both in terms of quantity and quality. The US spends more on its military than any other country in the world, with $761.7 billion or more in 2020, while Russia spends only .$61billion or thereabout. Haha!

4)Now, the US has more active personnel than Russia,way worse now that Russian soldiers are in Ukraine, more reserve personnel than Russia, more combat aircraft than Russia, more attack submarines than Russia, more aircraft carriers than Russia, and more allies and partners around the world than Russia. The US also has a technological edge over Russia in many areas, such as stealth technology, precision-guided munitions, drones, cyber warfare, and space capabilities. Again,haha!

5)Listening to the opinion of a US ambassador concerning Russia's weapons compared to the US's own, good job. Well, that doesn't matter in the scheme of things. It doesn't change the reality that the US military is greater than that of Russia. And don't think that Russia having more nuclear warheads than the US means they are better than the US. That's not true either. Nuclear warheads are not just numbers; they are also about delivery systems, reliability, accuracy, security, and command and control. The US has more advanced and diverse delivery systems than Russia, such as intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs), submarine-launched ballistic missiles (SLBMs), strategic bombers, cruise missiles, and hypersonic weapons. The US also has more reliable and accurate warheads than Russia, more secure and modernized nuclear infrastructure than Russia, and more robust and stable command and control systems than Russia. So, please give the US that respect!
Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Gerrard59(m): 4:45am On Aug 14, 2023
pansophist:

They have arrived, and they will take their place, and the global south will align behind them. It is only a matter of time.

ng but a guard dog to the Chinese and the host state interest, or otherwise, it will expose its true aim as an occupying force for what it is.
my on earth and is not interested in fighting wars outside its vicinity. In the event of a war, can the US actually defeat China in its territory?

Do not overestimate the US, and underestimate the new sheriff in town. The world is undergoing a huge paradigm shift, and it is not in favor of the US hegemony.

The map is staggering!!!!

Long live the CCP. cool

1 Like

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by hodari: 5:23am On Aug 14, 2023
75% of the world's population is sick and tired of the 25% (the West) shoving all this liberal agenda, war, and economic apocalypse on them. The USA is acting like it literally owns earth. The arrogance is really pissing everyone else off real fast. The world is big enough for everyone to have a slice of the pie while still being different while engaging in trade amongst each other.

The world is going to split into two camps, the degenerate, bankrupt west controlled by the USA, and the global south led by China and Russia. I just wonder if there will be a new iron curtain, this time isolating the west from the rest of the world.

7 Likes

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by mysticwarrior(m): 5:55am On Aug 14, 2023
Botragelad:

1)First of all, the US can still be the world power in the next 100 years, even though China might be economically doing better than them, according to you. That's because the US has many advantages over China, not just in terms of economy, but also in terms of politics, democracy, human rights, innovation, technology, culture, and alliances. The US is a leader in many fields that shape the future of the world. It also has many friends and partners around the world who share its values and vision for a free and open world.
China, on the other hand, has many problems and challenges that could limit its growth and influence, such as authoritarianism, corruption, pollution, debt, aging population, and regional conflicts.

2) Well,China is not necessarily better than the US economically. It depends on how you measure it. If you look at the nominal GDP (the value of goods and services produced within a country's borders), the US is still the largest economy in the world, with $20.9 trillion or thereabout in 2020 .
If you look at the GDP per capita (the average income of a person in a country), the US is much richer than China, with $63,416 in 2020 while China is only $10,484 or thereabout, about six times smaller.
If you look at the PPP GDP (the value of goods and services produced within a country adjusted for purchasing power parity), China is slightly ahead of the US, couldn't get a reliable figure. But PPP GDP is not a very reliable indicator of economic power or well-being, because it does not reflect the actual prices or incomes in different countries.

3)Now coming to Russia. Russia is not greater than the US in terms of military. The US has a much stronger and more capable military than Russia, both in terms of quantity and quality. The US spends more on its military than any other country in the world, with $761.7 billion or more in 2020, while Russia spends only .$61billion or thereabout. Haha!

4)Now, the US has more active personnel than Russia,way worse now that Russian soldiers are in Ukraine, more reserve personnel than Russia, more combat aircraft than Russia, more attack submarines than Russia, more aircraft carriers than Russia, and more allies and partners around the world than Russia. The US also has a technological edge over Russia in many areas, such as stealth technology, precision-guided munitions, drones, cyber warfare, and space capabilities. Again,haha!

5)Listening to the opinion of a US ambassador concerning Russia's weapons compared to the US's own, good job. Well, that doesn't matter in the scheme of things. It doesn't change the reality that the US military is greater than that of Russia. And don't think that Russia having more nuclear warheads than the US means they are better than the US. That's not true either. Nuclear warheads are not just numbers; they are also about delivery systems, reliability, accuracy, security, and command and control. The US has more advanced and diverse delivery systems than Russia, such as intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs), submarine-launched ballistic missiles (SLBMs), strategic bombers, cruise missiles, and hypersonic weapons. The US also has more reliable and accurate warheads than Russia, more secure and modernized nuclear infrastructure than Russia, and more robust and stable command and control systems than Russia. So, please give the US that respect!
You said "I think it is possible that the United States will still be the world power in the next 100 years" and I say again, you are very wrong on this.

The US only enjoyed an unchallenged and uninterrupted unipolarism after the fall of the USSR from 1991 till 2006. From 2008 a rejuvenated Russia started demonstrating it's formidability which was seen by the US as a threat to their dominance.

Judging from the above, It should be noted that the US did not even enjoyed being the world most powerful nation for up to 20 years, and it's already shaky, the power the US holds is like grains of sand fisted tightly in one hand, the more they try to hold on firmely to it the more it's slipping out of their hand, and they would helplessly watched this happen to them untill they would be no more power for them to hold.

Evidence from military history indicates that empires are fabricated and created by military prowess since the beginning of antiquity. The Roman empire lasted for more than a thousand years, the ottoman empires lasted for centuries so does they Mongol empire, even the British empire lasted for about four centuries, and these empires eventually collapsed, and same fate is happening to the US.

The US economy is heavily being contested by China, their military might is being questioned by military and war analysts in camparism with the Russians. To make it even worst for the US the Russians and the Chinese are close allies, China has a powerful economy and collosal population, while the Russians are demigods of weaponry, looking at this from an analytical perspective one can clearly see that the world has metamorphosed into a tripolar balance of power.

7 Likes

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by emmaodet: 6:29am On Aug 14, 2023
pansophist:

1. Over 100 countries globally (actually over 150) have China as their largest trading partner. Please see the attached illustration

2. China has real international friends, not puppets, vassals, client states, and subservient stooges like the US.

3. The so-called strength of the US is built on US dollars. If it crashes, US hegemony crashes as well.

5. The US debt, no matter the argument to make seems like it is not a problem is actually a problem. The reason why the world can not feel inflation is because inflation is shared by all countries holding it.

The singular strength of the US is the dollar and it is the main reason they are all round the world fighting and trying to subdue any country or block that will be against this unfair advantage.
The reason why US can maintain thousands of military bases worldwide, sponsoring coups here and there, financing rebels, extremist, militants against unfriendly governments worldwide is because they can just sit and print whatever money they need to finance these activities worldwide.
They are in Ukraine trying to subdue Russia.
They are in Taiwan poking China in the face hoping she takes the bait too.
They can withstand and fight many countries at the same time because they have the unfair advantage of printing their own money to infinity to withstand these wars.
Syria, Ukraine, Taiwan, Africa just name it.
How can a country finance all these and yet not go bankrupt? All at the same time.
Them there is the issue of Double inflation to the global south countries because of USD dollars.
Most countries foreign reserves are stored in us dollars likewise 90% of their trades.
So it means they receive first inflation to their economies no thanks to USD dollar inflation and also receive another internal local currency inflation against the dollar anyway.
The US only has to worry about her own inflation and not the inflation of her reserve.
So we, the 3rd world countries who are poor and struggling to float and break even are been pounded again by double 2-edged inflation sword.
It is not coincident that naira with other global south currencies have been on downward spiral from 1970 when they signed the Brentwood agreement of pegging their currencies to USD instead of gold that everyone will see.
How can a currency be devaluing from 1970 against dollar without a single year, I mean a single foocking year of retracing and winning grounds back.
Who signs this kind of agreement?
Who are unpatriotic leaders that signed the future of their kids away with this agreement.
US has been fighting war since 1990, even this year alone given Ukraine billions, her inflation is high yet naira devaluing.
Us dollars inflation is high now and it is perceived to be weaker, yet naira and other smaller economies are devaluing then is it when the us economy pick up that naira will strengthen? What kind of devilish demonic system is this?
I was in angola last year and I changed $100 to 42,000 kwanza.
Last month, I changed at the airport for 80,000 kwanza. The country is in a mess and people have been plunged into poverty and this case is similar to virtually all global south countries.
Zambia, nambia, Venezuela, Argentina etc just name it.
The US, UK, EU have not increased anything tangible yet for some funny reasons, people there are benefiting from devaluation of global south currencies.
I came to Angola last year and would have bought let say a phone for 42,000 kwanza/$100.
This year, I would have bought same thing for probably 55,000 kwanza with a change of 25,000 kwanza out of my current 80,000 kwanza/$100 without me putting any additional work or stress to acquire it while angolana will have to work his ass more for extra 13,000 kwanza if he wants to get the fone. It's unfair
Again, there is us dollar that is officially declared in the general world market, IMF, World bank and co that we all know is in circulation and then there is another huge huge us dollar in circulation that is not accountable courtesy of been able to print their own currency and accepted all round the world.
There are many us dollars printed yearly that are loaded in private planes and sent to us embassies at night, us military bases worldwide which later finds itself in the hands of rebels, militants, extremist, coup plotters to influence elections and cause regime changes.
These dollars can not and should not be traceable back to the us govt.
It is uncensored deal that is done in the black underground world.
Dollars flushing everywhere that is not accountable.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by blinking001(m): 8:25am On Aug 14, 2023
emmaodet:

The singular strength of the US is the dollar and it is the main reason they are all round the world fighting and trying to subdue any country or block that will be against this unfair advantage.
The reason why US can maintain thousands of military bases worldwide, sponsoring coups here and there, financing rebels, extremist, militants against unfriendly governments worldwide is because they can just sit and print whatever money they need to finance these activities worldwide.
They are in Ukraine trying to subdue Russia.
They are in Taiwan poking China in the face hoping she takes the bait too.
They can withstand and fight many countries at the same time because they have the unfair advantage of printing their own money to infinity to withstand these wars.
Syria, Ukraine, Taiwan, Africa just name it.
How can a country finance all these and yet not go bankrupt? All at the same time.
Them there is the issue of Double inflation to the global south countries because of USD dollars.
Most countries foreign reserves are stored in us dollars likewise 90% of their trades.
So it means they receive first inflation to their economies no thanks to USD dollar inflation and also receive another internal local currency inflation against the dollar anyway.
The US only has to worry about her own inflation and not the inflation of her reserve.
So we, the 3rd world countries who are poor and struggling to float and break even are been pounded again by double 2-edged inflation sword.
It is not coincident that naira with other global south currencies have been on downward spiral from 1970 when they signed the Brentwood agreement of pegging their currencies to USD instead of gold that everyone will see.
How can a currency be devaluing from 1970 against dollar without a single year, I mean a single foocking year of retracing and winning grounds back.
Who signs this kind of agreement?
Who are unpatriotic leaders that signed the future of their kids away with this agreement.
US has been fighting war since 1990, even this year alone given Ukraine billions, her inflation is high yet naira devaluing.
Us dollars inflation is high now and it is perceived to be weaker, yet naira and other smaller economies are devaluing then is it when the us economy pick up that naira will strengthen? What kind of devilish demonic system is this?
I was in angola last year and I changed $100 to 42,000 kwanza.
Last month, I changed at the airport for 80,000 kwanza. The country is in a mess and people have been plunged into poverty and this case is similar to virtually all global south countries.
Zambia, nambia, Venezuela, Argentina etc just name it.
The US, UK, EU have not increased anything tangible yet for some funny reasons, people there are benefiting from devaluation of global south currencies.
I came to Angola last year and would have bought let say a phone for 42,000 kwanza/$100.
This year, I would have bought same thing for probably 55,000 kwanza with a change of 25,000 kwanza out of my current 80,000 kwanza/$100 without me putting any additional work or stress to acquire it while angolana will have to work his ass more for extra 13,000 kwanza if he wants to get the fone. It's unfair
Again, there is us dollar that is officially declared in the general world market, IMF, World bank and co that we all know is in circulation and then there is another huge huge us dollar in circulation that is not accountable courtesy of been able to print their own currency and accepted all round the world.
There are many us dollars printed yearly that are loaded in private planes and sent to us embassies at night, us military bases worldwide which later finds itself in the hands of rebels, militants, extremist, coup plotters to influence elections and cause regime changes.
These dollars can not and should not be traceable back to the us govt.
It is uncensored deal that is done in the black underground world.
Dollars flushing everywhere that is not accountable.

Gbamsolutely

4 Likes

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Botragelad: 11:08am On Aug 14, 2023
mysticwarrior:

You said "I think it is possible that the United States will still be the world power in the next 100 years" and I say again, you are very wrong on this.

The US only enjoyed an unchallenged and uninterrupted unipolarism after the fall of the USSR from 1991 till 2006. From 2008 a rejuvenated Russia started demonstrating it's formidability which was seen by the US as a threat to their dominance.

Judging from the above, It should be noted that the US did not even enjoyed being the world most powerful nation for up to 20 years, and it's already shaky, the power the US holds is like grains of sand fisted tightly in one hand, the more they try to hold on firmely to it the more it's slipping out of their hand, and they would helplessly watched this happen to them untill they would be no more power for them to hold.

Evidence from military history indicates that empires are fabricated and created by military prowess since the beginning of antiquity. The Roman empire lasted for more than a thousand years, the ottoman empires lasted for centuries so does they Mongol empire, even the British empire lasted for about four centuries, and these empires eventually collapsed, and same fate is happening to the US.

The US economy is heavily being contested by China, their military might is being questioned by military and war analysts in camparism with the Russians. To make it even worst for the US the Russians and the Chinese are close allies, China has a powerful economy and collosal population, while the Russians are demigods of weaponry, looking at this from an analytical perspective one can clearly see that the world has metamorphosed into a tripolar balance of power.
1)First of all, it's a bit daft to say that the US started to enjoy uninterrupted unipolarism after the fall of the USSR. The US was already the dominant power in the world before the Soviet collapse, as it had a stronger economy, military, and influence than its rival. The end of the Cold War just made it more obvious and undisputed. The US also faced some challenges and setbacks in the 1990s and 2000s, such as the 9/11 attacks, the Iraq War, the global financial crisis, and the rise of China. So it's not like the US had a smooth ride or a free pass for 20 years.

2)Russia did start to demonstrate its power from 2008 like you claim, but not in a way that threatened the US. Russia's intervention in Georgia in 2008 was a response to Georgia's attempt to regain control over two breakaway regions that were supported by Russia. Russia's annexation of Crimea in 2014 was a reaction to the ousting of Ukraine's pro-Russian president and the prospect of Ukraine joining NATO. Russia's involvement in Syria in 2015 was a way to prop up its ally Bashar al-Assad. These actions were mainly driven by Russia's desire to protect its interests and influence in its near abroad, not by its ambition to challenge the US on a global scale.

3)The US did enjoy being the world's most powerful nation for 20 years,and still counting, but not without some costs and responsibilities. They had to bear the burden of maintaining global security and order, which often meant intervening in conflicts and crises around the world, deal with the backlash and criticism from other countries and actors who resented its dominance and policies, cope with the changes and challenges brought by globalization, such as trade imbalances, environmental issues, human rights concerns, etc.

4)No, the US power is not like a grain of salt that is slipping away, as you put it. That's a rubbish analogy. The US still has many advantages and assets that make it a formidable force in the world. The US has one the largest and most innovative economy in the world, most powerful and advanced military in the world, with a budget of over
hundred of billions$$, most extensive and influential network of allies and partners in the world, with numerous ountries that are members of NATO or have security treaties with the US.

5)Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the US power will last forever or that it won't face any competition or decline. I'm just saying that based on the facts on the ground, the US is still way above Russia and China in terms of its capabilities and influence. Russia's military cannot be compared to the US's, as it is much smaller, weaker, and less modernized. China's economy may be growing fast, but it still faces many problems and risks too.

6) The world has not metamorphosed into a tripolar balance of power yet. It is still largely unipolar, with some elements of multipolarity emerging. That's how it works for now. Cheers!
Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by pansophist(m): 11:18am On Aug 14, 2023
emmaodet:

Man, you are so passionate about this topic, that you wrote such a long text. Man, I feel those pains in your words. I have been shouting about this since on nairaland that colonialism didn't end, it just evolved.

Just as technology has made farmers evolve from using their hands to tile the grounds, and animals to push carts, it is the same thing with exploitation, technology has made it even more sophisticated, and you are actually more exploited now than before.

And it became global in nature. Even the so-called allies are exploited, just in a different way. For a start, they do not have sovereignty, and their land is occupied by military bases. It is a pyramid of exploitation. Their allies got the first seat, and the third world got the back seat.

The dollar is also not the only channel for global dominance, it's in all areas. From the international court (ICC) to the international dialogue center (UN), to international finance (SWIFT), to loan and investment (World bank, IMF), to maritime, tech, soft culture, military, everything.

I personally think the USD should be the first domino effect to go down, then every other of their hegemonic institution will go down one by one, till the hegemonic ecosystem is destroyed completely. The world can never continue like this, the third world is so impoverished.

You are someone that travels always, you will agree with me when I say that our Nigeria (and most third world countries) best years are in the past. Every time I visit Nigeria, it's like the country is gradually reducing to a zombie apocalypse.

There are places you will go to, and you wonder if any sovereign state is in control of such places. The misery, slum, poverty, and sorrow is just so hard to stomach. Even asking someone for 5k in Nigeria now seems like asking for their kidney.

I wonder the kind of heart one will have, to bring such misery to the world. There should be a limit to the pain you can give to others, but under western hegemonic system, it is only a point with no return.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by budaatum: 1:09pm On Aug 14, 2023
Jane74:

seguno2:

You really should do your own research. Not only would you inform yourself, you'd also be in position to inform us others.

https://investingstrategy.co.uk/financial-news/brics-vs-g7-head-to-head-comparison-and-statistics/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by seguno2: 1:20pm On Aug 14, 2023
budaatum:

You really should do your own research. Not only would you inform yourself, you'd also be in position to inform us others.

https://investingstrategy.co.uk/financial-news/brics-vs-g7-head-to-head-comparison-and-statistics/

Many thanks for sharing this information and for your advice also.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by pansophist(m): 1:56pm On Aug 14, 2023
Budaatum, please be easy on Seguno, people that want to beat him on this nairaland plenty.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by 2buffagain(m): 2:29pm On Aug 14, 2023
OkpaNsukkaisBae:
China is still playing the long game. once they are ready,, they will invade Taiwan & annex Hong Kong..

while Russia is moving boldly 2 recover her USSR territories & @ the same time hitting US/EU in Africa thanks 2 US/EU trying 2 isolate moscow.

And also thanks to US/EU trying to push alien policies that go against the region's tenets i.e lgtv
Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by pansophist(m): 2:55pm On Aug 14, 2023
2buffagain:

And also thanks to US/EU trying to push alien policies that go against the region's tenets i.e lgtv

LG television or LGBT?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by 2buffagain(m): 3:05pm On Aug 14, 2023
pansophist:

LG television or LGBT?

You know its the latter.

Sorry sometimes I forget this is a nigerian forum and I should be more free.
Those of us living in the west are careful about how we talk about these people because they are the mafia over here. Always looking for how to bully and terrorize anyone who talks about them. Even social media platforms will report your post or demonitize your channel if it seems like you are speaking your mind about lgbt. So we generally just call them lgtv now to skip the crawlers that usually search for how they are being spoken about.

It's crazy out here. You guys back home: Never allow the bloody US to push that shit on you.
Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Gnosis777: 3:42pm On Aug 14, 2023
I read some of the earlier comments in this thread regarding the debt ceiling in the U.S. and then I began to think about the billions of dollars they practically gave away during the covid-19 pandemic to so called support "small struggling businesses" that may be forced to close due to the hardships that the pandemic caused. Yet, it turns out that major corporations and even celebrities took advantage of these tax free, "automatically forgiven" loans. Basically, free money that they never have to pay back! These jokers scream about all of this inflation and recession junk, but could afford to allow already rich businesses and celebs to receive billions in free money.

If you haven't already browsed this site, take a look at all of the 10, 8, 7 etc. million dollar checks that were given to these already wealthy businesses. These people received all of this money that they never have to pay back. Also check out all of the massive amounts of fraud that took place during the issuing of these checks. You may need a VPN with U.S. as the IP address to view the first link, but it definitely worth viewing.

https://www.federalpay.org/paycheck-protection-program

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/09/1145040599/ppp-loan-forgiveness

https://www.foxnews.com/us/ppp-loan-fraud-schemes-defendants-charged

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Adjovi: 3:54pm On Aug 14, 2023
Botragelad:
Nice thread......
I think it is possible that the United States will still be the world power in the next 100 years. Large and diverse economy, which accounts for about a quarter of the global GDP, strong military presence, with hundreds of overseas bases and alliances with many countries, vibrant culture, which influences many aspects of global entertainment, media, education, and innovation, resilient political system, which allows for peaceful transitions of power and checks and balances among different branches of government.

They also have a history of adapting to new international realities, such as the rise of China, the challenges of climate change, and the threats of terrorism.
In reality, the United States faces many challenges and uncertainties in this 21st century, and it cannot take its global leadership for granted. It will have to compete with other emerging powers, such as China, India, Brazil, and maybe Nigeria which will have larger populations and economies by 2050.

Still, I see no one taking that position they hold!

It's going to be different in this case. In that. The USA will no longer be able to use sanctions as a tool anymore, no more regime change, countries will be able to use thier own currency for external purchases. In all of this after it fully materialises , there's only one nation that will be at a loss, it is the USA.

Even if they adapt, nations won't trust them anymore and will rather do business with USA on their own terms and not on the USA's. Also the world will be relatively peaceful because no nation wants to lord over any other nation like the USA has done and still doing.

1 Like

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Gerrard59(m): 5:11pm On Aug 14, 2023
Botragelad:

1) First of all, China might have more trading partners than the US, but that's just one aspect of their economic relationship. The US still has a larger and more diverse economy, and it's more innovative and competitive than China. The US also has a stronger currency, the dollar, which is used as the world's reserve currency. That means that many countries use the dollar to trade with each other, and they hold dollars in their foreign exchange reserves. This gives the US a lot of influence and power in the global financial system.

Some of it is due to trust in the US' financial system. The rest is by bullying. The US bullies everyone, including her allies. The US bullied rising Japan into signing the Plaza Accord, which decimated the economy in Japan, resulting in the "Lost Decades". The same Japan America literally babied after bombing her cities and had military bases in Okinawa and Tokyo. Now, they are doing the same with China through a series of sanctions and building military bases around China. In contrast, China has not built one, even in Mexico or Cuba.

But you can't just look at the economy when you compare China and the US. You also have to consider their political, diplomatic, military, and technological aspects. And in these areas, the US has many advantages over China. The US is a democracy with a free press, a vibrant civil society, and a strong rule of law. China is an authoritarian regime that suppresses human rights, censors information, and cracks down on dissent.

First, China has surpassed the US in citations, some of which emanate from relatively unknown universities in China. Westerners say it is copying, but looking it at deeply, the Chinese are innovative. Solar, wind and EVs are examples of how they are innovative driven.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-01705-7
https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Science/China-tops-U.S.-in-quantity-and-quality-of-scientific-papers
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3223810/nature-index-rates-chinese-universities-ahead-oxbridge-caltech-quality-research-output

The BS about free speech. Do you mean the free speech where people are being cancelled because they say "two genders exist"? That free speech? The free speech that promotes "do as I say, not as I do"? JK Rowling has been criticised because she has continuously stated that a man is someone with a natural pen!s and that so-called trans men should not be allowed to participate in women's sports. Is that the free speech you applaud?

Yes, the Chinese might be authoritarian but are not hypocritical. BTW, the crackdown on dissent is something that happens across major nations. The US has cracked down on dissenters. Also, the US is the last country to talk about human rights. It was not China that transported millions of blacks across the Atlantic to work on plantations. Neither was it China that sided with France to ruin Haiti.

2)The US has many allies and partners around the world who share its values and interests. China has few friends and many rivals who distrust its intentions and actions. The US has a powerful and professional military that can project force globally and defend its interests and allies. China has a large but outdated military that is mainly focused on its own region and faces many challenges in modernizing and operating abroad. The US is a leader in science and technology, especially in fields like biotechnology, artificial intelligence, aerospace, and cyber security. China is trying to catch up, but it still lags behind in many areas and relies on stealing or copying from others.

Hitherto, I thought the same, but after reading articles, I refuse to believe the US has its allies' interests at heart. She forced the Japanese government to mandate her chipmaker chemical manufacturers to restrict exports to China. The same applies to ASML of The Netherlands. Chipmakers in Japan and ASML generate over a third of their revenues from China alone. If you have your allies' interests at heart, why arm-twist them not to sell to their biggest single customer?

Then comes the CHIPS ACT. After ensuring these countries restrict exports to China, the US uses public funds to lure manufacturers into establishing factories in the US while placing subtle sanctions on the firms if they source their raw materials elsewhere. Even Belgian politicians complained: https://www.ft.com/content/16816444-1694-4530-84bb-ac289d6776dd
Is Belgium not an ally of the US?

As I write, Europe's biggest manufacturers are establishing factories in the US WHILE cutting/reducing/shutting down investments and factories in Europe. https://www.ft.com/content/06acbc5f-7a57-48b5-b486-1fd63dd306fd

So don't be fooled by the propaganda talk about the US using countries as puppets. Partners are partners/allies, not puppets. The US is not forcing anyone to be its ally. It's offering them cooperation and assistance based on mutual respect and benefit. That's how alliances work.

The above shows it is false. Funny how the US is not forcing allies but demands India should not buy Russian oil. YET supports India's arch-rival Pakistan with funds and military training.

3). And think that the strength of the US is only based on the dollar. The US can still survive if the dollar crashes, although it would be very painful and difficult. The US has a resilient and adaptable economy that can recover from shocks and crises. It also has a diverse and creative society that can overcome challenges and find solutions. The fact that the dollar has been the world's reserve currency for so long shows how strong the US is, not how weak it is.

Agreed.

4) Again, you lie about there being no alternative currency to the dollar. There are other currencies that can be used for international trade and finance, such as the euro, the yen, or even the renminbi (the Chinese currency). But most countries won't dare to trade in those currencies because they are either too unstable, too controlled, or too risky. They prefer to use the dollar because it is more reliable, more liquid, and more accepted.

Agreed.

5) Who said the US debt is not a problem?. It is a problem, but not an insurmountable one. The US debt is mainly owed to its own citizens or institutions, not to foreign creditors like China. The US also has a strong credit rating and a low borrowing cost, which means that it can service its debt without much difficulty. And the US economy has always proven to take care of stuff like that by growing faster than its debt. Dude!

Agreed.

The bold was lost recently. Even Janet Yellen complained: https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/yellen-says-fitch-downgrade-entirely-unwarranted-amid-us-economic-strength-2023-08-02/

6) Don't worry about inflation being felt by the countries holding dollars or whatever BS you are talking about. Inflation is mainly a domestic phenomenon that affects the purchasing power of consumers within a country. It does not affect the exchange rate of currencies between countries, unless there is hyperinflation or currency crisis. Countries holding dollars can still use them to buy goods or services from other countries at market prices.

That is not true. Inflation has risen in South Korea and Japan because these countries purchase gallons of crude which is priced in dollars. The Russian-Ukraine crisis has seen the price skyrocket. In return, countries which buy a lot of oil have had their inflation, especially related, shot up. Also, unlike what you stated, this has seen the value of the Yen devalue against the dollar. Earlier this year, it almost hit 170Y to the dollar. Furthermore, the rise of interest rates in the US affects countries' exchange value. Japan is a notable victim of this. I recall a comment on Reddit where the commentator stated that the US would have to reduce its interest rate so that the Yen regains its value as a devalued yen puts Japan at risk. That the US needs an economically strong Japan to deter China.

7) Hegemony means that one country dominates or controls other countries through its superior power or influence. Multipolarism means that there are several countries or regions that have comparable power or influence in world affairs. The US is is a leader among equals.

That is true, but as China rises, ditto India, that influence declines. A wealthy and populated country with different values/system would sway away others' interests.

cool According to you, the reason the US has thrived for decades is because other countries were beaten down in World War II. That's a very simplistic and inaccurate view of history. The US has thrived for decades because of its own hard work, innovation, entrepreneurship, and leadership. It has also helped other countries to recover and prosper after the war, through initiatives like the Marshall Plan, the Bretton Woods system, and the NATO alliance. The US has been a force for good in the world, not a force for evil.

But that is true. Had Japan and Germany not lost, the US would have faced serious competition, especially in Europe and Asia. Unsurprisingly, those are the countries she has huge military bases.

Second bold, go and tell that to folks in the Middle East, parts of Africa, Central America and South America where the CIA has conspired to topple governments and removed democratically elected presidents to protect her interests.

9)Never you underestimate the US in terms of infrastructure, technology, diplomacy, military and allies. The US is better than China in all these areas, and that's what makes it a superpower. The US has a vast and modern infrastructure that connects its cities and regions, and supports its economy and society. China has a lot of infrastructure too, but much of it is low-quality, wasteful, or environmentally damaging

That is bullying, not diplomacy.

China actually has improved its infrastructure with modern trains/bridges connecting cities and regions. The quality is very high, and she has the latest Maglev train system, which is the world's fastest: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/china-fastest-maglev-train-intl-hnk/index.html

The tale about China's infrastructure being environmentally damaging is a mendacious one. The Chinese have invested more in climate-friendly technologies than most Western countries. China exports more solar panels and wind blades than every other nation. Were it to be 15 years ago, yes, China did not care about the environment. But not today. They are pragmatic, as the word connotes.

The US has a cutting-edge technology sector that produces world-class innovations and products that shape the future. China has a lot of technology too, but much of it is copied, stolen, or controlled by the state.

The Americans copied from the British and Germans. The British copied from the Arabs and Persians. The Japanese copied from the Americans. The Koreans copied from the Japanese. Everyone copied. The question is, how well did you copy to benefit your people? How well did you copy to make yours?

The US controls research via funnelling into desired sectors. The Chinese do the same, ditto the Japanese. Nothing different. Talmbout six and half a dozen.

The US has a sophisticated diplomacy that engages with other countries and multilateral institutions on a range of issues and challenges. China has a lot of diplomacy too, but much of it is aggressive, coercive, or self-serving. The US has a formidable military that can defend its interests and allies anywhere in the world.

That is an unfair accusation of the Chinese. Very unfair. How is China aggressive when she does not have 800+ bases scattered across the world? Fine, countries should defend their interests, but the Chinese do this on the table rather than placing bases left, right and centre. The Chinese signed trade deals with the Solomon Islands, and the Americans quickly went to Papua New Guinea to cite a military base.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/china-solomon-islands-agree-strategic-partnership-2023-07-10/

The US signed an agreement to station more troops in the Phillippines, but through Geely Motors, China invested $10BN into Malaysia. How is China aggressive when the Chinese don't interfere in the internal politics of countries? When the Chadian leader died and his son took over. France gave her blessings. But when the same happened in Niger, the US pushes Nigeria to invade her neighbour. What have the Chinese done? Nothing. Who is then more aggressive? Mind you, the US, not China, has a military base in Agadez.

China has a lot of military too, but much of it is outdated, untested, or limited by geography. The US has a network of allies and partners that share its values and vision for a free and open world. China has few allies and partners, unlike the US and most of them are authoritarian or unreliable.

Actually, the Chinese are rapidly improving their military assets, much to the chagrin of American military chiefs. https://www.rand.org/blog/2023/03/why-is-china-strengthening-its-military-its-not-all.html
https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Comment/US-fears-of-China-s-AI-armed-military-are-well-founded

Two, why should it be tested when China is not a warmonger? Is it China that has gone round the world fighting every available country?

China's view of allyship is based on business interests. I sell to you, and you buy from me. Everyone goes home happy. China has invested in Namibia but has never stated Namibia should adopt Chinese values. It is not the Chinese that want Qatar to accept gay rights even though she purchases a lot of Qatari gas.

10) China may have grown more economically than the whole G7 combined annually, but that's mainly because it started from a very low base and used unfair practices to boost its growth,well most countries do that.

Define unfair practices? Good enough, you admitted everyone does it. So, why is China different?

China may have lifted millions of people out of poverty, but that's mainly because it kept them in poverty for so long under its communist system.

After, they were kept from trading with the rest of the world via sanctions placed by the US and had internal divisions orchestrated by the Brits and Japanese. Olden days China was communist, agreed. Not today's China which is the biggest buyer of Mercedes and LVMH goods.

China may have the largest standing army in the world, but that doesn't mean it has the best or the winning army. The size of an army doesn't matter as much as its quality, training, equipment, doctrine, morale, and leadership. And the US army is way better than China's in all these aspects, because of its experience and tactical warfare skills. Just look at what happened in Ukraine: Russia has a larger army than Ukraine, but it still can't defeat it or take over its territory completely.

Agreed. But I don't see how an army that admits transgenders will have a bigger morale and leadership than a homogenous one full of masculine men.

So don't worry about a shift in the world order. There is a huge probability that the US will still continue to dominate the world for a long time to come, because of its strengths and advantages in all domains. The US is not perfect; it has its problems and challenges too. But it also has the ability and the will to overcome them and to improve itself. The US is not a declining power; it is a resilient and dynamic power that can adapt to changing circumstances and opportunities.

A shift is inevitable. Nothing lasts forever. The probability is low as India and other emerging powers grow economically. Yes, the US is not perfect, but considering her ills over the years, she has been very hypocritical and a bully even to so-called allies. Yes, I admire the breadth of capitalism as an unrepentant capitalist. Still, I desire a system with more than one superpower, and countries have the right to choose who they want without being bombed or sanctioned.

6 Likes

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by pansophist(m): 9:02pm On Aug 14, 2023
Botragelad, you wrote so much wrong info, that it will take me so much time to debunk each and every one of them. Gerrard59 tried, but hopefully, as this thread progress further, I will handle each of them one by one.

All I would say is that you should update your view about China. Your writeup just seems like something copied and pasted from CNN, with no authenticity whatsoever.

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Berlusconi Sentenced To One Year Jail Term. / South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 / Mali: ECOWAS Imposes Economic And Political Sanctions After Election Delay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 249
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.