Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,962 members, 7,810,667 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:02 PM

Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century (7970 Views)

Ghana's Currency Slumps To World’s Worst Performer Versus Dollar / Japan To Fund Firms To Shift Production Out Of China / Melania Trump Visits The Great Pyramid And The Sphinx In Egypt (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by emmaodet: 6:57pm On Aug 19, 2023
Regex:

That singular mistake is their very undoing. China isn't really loud with their military progress and that's what scares the USA the most. For Russia, to an extent they know her capability but can't match it still.. Which is really worse.

Interesting time is really ahead of us and I pray these guys don't annihilate us all.
A Russian I worked with of recent said when the Ukraine Russian war started last year, it all started small with light weapons but as the day progresses now, more and more dangerous and extremely dangerous weapons are been brought to the war front and things are really going out of hand

1 Like

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Regex: 7:19pm On Aug 19, 2023
emmaodet:

Interesting time is really ahead of us and I pray these guys don't annihilate us all.
A Russian I worked with of recent said when the Ukraine Russian war started last year, it all started small with light weapons but as the day progresses now, more and more dangerous and extremely dangerous weapons are been brought to the war front and things are really going out of hand

I just hope it doesn't go out of hand

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by pansophist(m): 7:43pm On Aug 19, 2023
Regex:

That singular mistake is their very undoing. China isn't really loud with their military progress and that's what scares the USA the most. For Russia, to an extent they know her capability but can't match it still.. Which is really worse.

You get it.

Just early this year, China cut off every high military communications. Blinken and US defense minister where busy visiting China and asking for a resumption of high level communication, but China refused.

I mean, the US have sanctioned the Chinese defense minister Li Shangfu, so why are they desperate to want a resumption in discussion?

But what you said is true. They want to know China's response, and china is not loud like the Russians that are busy testing all kinds of weapons and uploading it on YouTube.

The Chinese are so dark in operations, you can never guess their next move, and that scares Washington to their bone. Their plan is to ignite a little conflict in South China Sea, using their vassals such as Philippines.

Then if China responded, they will determine their military capabilities and plan their next move. But the Chinese aint idiot. They know the game the US is playing.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by pansophist(m): 7:57pm On Aug 19, 2023
emmaodet:

Biden have approved F16 to the Ukrainians. Russia is in for a long run.
Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Regex: 8:22pm On Aug 19, 2023
pansophist:

You get it.

Just early this year, China cut off every high military communications. Blinken and US defense minister where busy visiting China and asking for a resumption of high level communication, but China refused.

I mean, the US have sanctioned the Chinese defense minister Li Shangfu, so why are they desperate to want a resumption in discussion?

But what you said is true. They want to know China's response, and china is not loud like the Russians that are busy testing all kinds of weapons and uploading it on YouTube.

The Chinese are so dark in operations, you can never guess their next move, and that scares Washington to their bone. Their plan is to ignite a little conflict in South China Sea, using their vassals such as Philippines.

Then if China responded, they will determine their military capabilities and plan their next move. But the Chinese aint idiot. They know the game the US is playing.

Well, I have come to think of it this way that both Russia and China are using both the ends of the spectrum that ranges from unknown to known to their advantage and it calls for the situation. Without Russia brandishing their weapon, the USA may use that advantage to poke them. Russia wants to be left alone and not poked. On the other hand, if China brandishes her weapon, it will present fear to her trade partners and USA can rewrite the script.

Right from the second war, Russia has already register herself as weapon producer and if they decide to stop the branding, people might think they're weak and of course spin the narrative. Yes, unlike USA, Russia is living to her expectations.

3 Likes

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by emmaodet: 8:38pm On Aug 19, 2023
pansophist:

Biden have approved F16 to the Ukrainians. Russia is in for a long run.

Your statement at the bolded, what does it mean? Does it mean the Russians can't sustain this war or have the weapons to combat the ones US is releasing?
Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by pansophist(m): 8:48pm On Aug 19, 2023
emmaodet:

Your statement at the bolded, what does it mean? Does it mean the Russians can't sustain this war or have the weapons to combat the ones US is releasing?

I mean that the US is committed to fight to the last Ukrainian, and in the grand scale, reduce Slavic populatiom.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by stanluiz(m): 10:15pm On Aug 19, 2023
pansophist:

I mean that the US is committed to fight to the last Ukrainian, and in the grand scale, reduce Slavic populatiom.
Thier plan is too weaken Russia. If it means to destroy Russia neighbors. They will do that.

After Ukraine. Next country is poland.

1 Like

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Regex: 11:17pm On Aug 19, 2023
pansophist:

Omo make them do jareh, more slavic women for us weh deh like white women...

3 Likes

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Gerrard59(m): 6:49am On Aug 20, 2023
Regex:

Omo make them do jareh, more slavic women for us weh deh like white women...

At least, those women will not outrightly refuse to prepare food for their fathers like what I read on TwitterNG for the past two days.

2 Likes

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Karleb(m): 6:54am On Aug 20, 2023
Gerrard59:

At least, those women will not outrightly refuse to prepare food for their fathers like what I read on TwitterNG for the past two days.

grin grin

Na youthful exuberance mostly. It happens mostly when a girl starts seeing the unclothedness of her father's mate.
Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Gerrard59(m): 7:05am On Aug 20, 2023
Karleb:

grin grin

Na youthful exuberance mostly. It happens mostly when a girl starts seeing the unclothedness of her father's mate.

I really want to see the social experiment's outcome in the next decade. Unlike developed countries where work dey and people earn good money, I want to see the result of extreme feminism in poor countries.

2 Likes

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by pansophist(m): 7:46am On Aug 20, 2023
Gerrard59:

I really want to see the social experiment's outcome in the next decade. Unlike developed countries where work dey and people earn good money, I want to see the result of extreme feminism in poor countries.

wink

Nigeria as a case study.

2 Likes

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Regex: 7:59am On Aug 20, 2023
Gerrard59:

Ah swear...😂
Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by pansophist(m): 8:18am On Aug 20, 2023
Karleb:

grin grin

I saw that tweet too and I was shocked. Even her fellow feminist were defending her and calling her strong for refusing to cook for her father.

I still felt relieved for the women there that rebuked her actions, and they were the majority. Feminism always sweet the young ones, they feel powerful and tough,

But the older ones knew there is no gain there. After has ride off her youthfulness that is giving her a sense of power, real life begins from 30s upward. Then it's she against the world.

3 Likes

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Regex: 8:20am On Aug 20, 2023
Gerrard59:

Bro I couldn't believe my eyes when I read that. I was like shay them do naming ceremony for this one...
Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Karleb(m): 8:37am On Aug 20, 2023
pansophist:

I saw that tweet too and I was shocked. Even her fellow feminist were defending her and calling her strong for refusing to cook for her father.

I still felt relieved for the women there that rebuked her actions, and they were the majority. Feminism always sweet the young ones, they feel powerful and tough,

But the older ones knew there is no gain there. After has ride off her youthfulness that is giving her a sense of power, real life begins from 30s upward. Then it's she against the world.

I hissed when I got to know she's a 200 level student. grin

Reality is often disappointing, like the good ol' villain said.
Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by pansophist(m): 8:02pm On Aug 20, 2023
Nato Secretary General Jen Stoltenberg has suggested that Ukraine might have to cede land to Russia, to broker peace and become a Nato member state.

Seems like the West is beginning to accept defeat.

Russia does not only need lands, it also wants Ukraine out of Nato. So even if Ukraine accepted that Russia can keep Crimea and the four regions it annexed, will Russia agree to such a condition for peace?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/08/15/ukraine-hits-out-at-ceding-putin-land-nato/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by pansophist(m): 8:08pm On Aug 20, 2023
emmaodet:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.reuters.com/world/us-japan-develop-hypersonic-missile-interceptor-yomiuri-2023-08-13/&ved=2ahUKEwjouJL5iemAAxVWgv0HHSFzAIMQFnoECAwQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1BNTW8iXUr4dSdzHMHTGFC

The US and Japan are planning to build hypersonic missile interceptor.
Again, so as to contain China and Russia to their own region hole US is safe from any attack.
The US is ready to go all out and fight dirty to retain the present system that benefits them alone and will do anything possible to fight and bring down any competition on the way.

Hypersonic missiles are not only launched from the territories of Russia and China but also from submarines. I also imagine how they can build interceptors to counter missile launches from let's say Russia that spans about eleven time zones.

I just think the US has settled for blood money, and have come to accept that its hegemony won't grow stronger than this. So why not cash out instead? From selling submarines to Australia to making billions from Taiwan, from Nato, and now Japan and Korea.

I don't see how such defense would stop any missile launch from China and Russia. It is just to make money, no other way to explain it.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Regex: 8:11pm On Aug 20, 2023
pansophist:
Nato secretary General Jen Stoltenberg suggested Ukraine might be required to cede land to broker peace and become a Nato member state. Seems like they are beginning to accept defeat.

Also, observe that Western media have backpedaled on the war and prepared the masses for Ukraine's defeat. News about Ukraine is not as sharp anymore.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/08/15/ukraine-hits-out-at-ceding-putin-land-nato/

How they thought it, didn't go through.
Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by 2buffagain(m): 10:50pm On Aug 20, 2023
TheAlphaHunter:

Interesting but I have been seeing articles talking about how china's economy is failing, do you think those articles are correct?

That's laughable. China is probably the most well positioned country in the world today.
In true asian fashion, they played the long game, made the right sacrifices, and now they are the second axis of power in the world....slowly becoming the first as the US fails.

1 Like

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Gerrard59(m): 5:02am On Aug 21, 2023
pansophist:
Nato Secretary General Jen Stoltenberg has suggested that Ukraine might have to cede land to Russia, to broker peace and become a Nato member state.

Seems like the West is beginning to accept defeat.

Russia does not only need lands, it also wants Ukraine out of Nato. So even if Ukraine accepted that Russia can keep Crimea and the four regions it annexed, will Russia agree to such a condition for peace?

I read the article and the Ukrainian official on Twitter rebuked it. To be fair, if some parts of occupied Ukraine are ceded to Russia, it emboldens Putin more. The comments in the article are even more daring - "Putin must be crushed", "He must pay for his sins", "Doing this empowers China to takeover Taiwan and ignite WW3" and the most hilarious "We should cut off aid to those countries (Middle Easter and African) who are allies to Putin".

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by pansophist(m): 2:29pm On Aug 21, 2023
Gerrard59:

I read the article and the Ukrainian official on Twitter rebuked it. To be fair, if some parts of occupied Ukraine are ceded to Russia, it emboldens Putin more. The comments in the article are even more daring - "Putin must be crushed", "He must pay for his sins", "Doing this empowers China to takeover Taiwan and ignite WW3" and the most hilarious "We should cut off aid to those countries (Middle Easter and African) who are allies to Putin".

Talk is cheap bros. Ukrainian officials can debunk it as much as they want, but all I see are signs that the Americans are planning to dump Elensky to its fate. If Western weapons stop flowing, the war will stop in a week max.

The five stages of grief are denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. Ukraine is still in the anger stage. Ukraine needs time to onboard the new realities. I said last year on nairaland that the more this war progress, the worse the deal Ukraine will have.

If Ukraine didn't trash the agreement they had in Turkey with the Russians last year just a few weeks into the war, they could still have Donbas, Kherson, Zaporizhia, and only God knows how much more territories Russia has seized.

Back then, sanctions were still in their peak mode. The West believed that with time, the sanctions would destroy Russia, and divide it into many states like the Soviet Union, but they have come to accept that that was a dangerous miscalculation.

Those days of favorable deals for Ukraine are gone. Russia has paid with the blood of its soldiers, and it will never disappoint them or allow those Russian-populated regions to go back to Ukraine will massacre them.

And what next? It seems like they are preparing for a conflict in the Asia Pacific because time is expensive. China is preparing and the more the war tie down the West's hands, the better China can concentrate on their military development, like they have been doing since.

And with the war exposing their hegemonic grip to the world which has been against them and ongoing de-dollarisation, they just have to accept that Ukraine was a bad calculation, and now they have to give up on Ukraine and re-strategize.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Gerrard59(m): 3:46am On Aug 22, 2023
pansophist:

Its propaganda. A well-known doomsday idiot is Gordon G. Chang. You can call him a sell-out, or a Judas Iscariot.

He became famous for always predicting the impending collapse of China. For close to thirty years, he has been releasing books, topics, commentaries, and interviews, about how China will collapse soon.

To be fair, the Chinese economy has been fluttering recently. High youth unemployment, deflation, high debt especially borne by property developers, a decline in exports etc. That of unemployment made the news as the government stopped releasing data. She said that the methodology had to be revised to know those who are school leavers and those still in school. But trust Western media, it was blown out of proportion.

I see it as a soft landing rather than awaiting a harsher one. In the same way, borders were locked even when others opened for trade during Covid. But that act was surprising to me. Why close your borders even when your peers have opened theirs?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by LordAdam16: 4:51pm On Aug 22, 2023
The BRICS Summit begins today. Any thoughts and commentary?

I'll go first.

I believe that deeper integration should be at the top of the agenda, not expansion. Nonetheless, since 4 of the 5 countries are pro-expansion, it should be a slow grind.

China and India should pick up the pace and set up a raft of institutions, coordinate bold initiatives, as well as release a slew of guidelines on a concrete timeline that will collectively serve as a landmark counterweight to the neoliberal order.

They're currently displaying a puzzling lack of urgency. We're way past the time for photo shoots and high-sounding rhetoric. It's time to get down to brass tracks.

-Lord

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by pansophist(m): 11:42pm On Aug 22, 2023
LordAdam16:
The BRICS Summit begins today. Any thoughts and commentary?

I'll go first.

I believe that deeper integration should be at the top of the agenda, not expansion. Nonetheless, since 4 of the 5 countries are pro-expansion, it should be a slow grind.

China and India should pick up the pace and set up a raft of institutions, coordinate bold initiatives, as well as release a slew of guidelines on a concrete timeline that will collectively serve as a landmark counterweight to the neoliberal order.

They're currently displaying a puzzling lack of urgency. We're way past the time for photo shoots and high-sounding rhetoric. It's time to get down to brass tracks.

-Lord

I think expansion should go first, otherwise, the US-led West will play a fast one by playing the role of a spoiler, by, for example, bringing potential countries into its sphere of influence.

You can see it in India. Just within the past few months, India is gradually becoming the black sheep of Brics. Also, India is one leg in, one leg out. They are a part of Quad, which is against the unspoken spirit of the Brics.

You can't be in a military alliance with the West such as the Quad, created specifically for aggression against China, then also be in an economic alliance such as BRICS, with the same China.

In a time where all Brics members are discussing issues about the new currency, only India is disputing it and working against it. Washington just gave Modi a red-carpet invite, where issues that undermine Brics were discussed.

And India seems to be pursuing strategic ambiguity, but in reality, it's a beech that cant just dedicate itself to one side and contribute to moving humanity forward, even after all what they have suffered in the hands of the west.

The Philippines is another example. Just last year Marcos succeeded Duterte as the president of The Philippines, he made a 180-degree U-turn to the policy of the previous administration. It is not news that the US played a dirty hand to help him win the election.

Duterte was pro-China/Russia, against hegemony, and will bring The Philippines into Brics. He was hated by the West, but isn't it expected? Lack of administrative consistency is a bug in democracies.

Now a military base has been designated to be built in the Philippines to deter China, meanwhile with Duterte, it would be an economic partnership with China. The US operates in the dark, and timing is one of the ways to counter the US.

So I think that Brics should evolve to be more sophisticated like the EU, playing a key role in both economic and military communities of nations regardless of political and geographical affiliations.

Then clear-cut policies should be enacted to integrate new members, of which such policies would be bed rocked on being part of a bloc, and no servings of two masters, like India.

If this is achieved, then the world will fully be undisputably multipolar, then BRICS would be a formidable bloc. Their once-in-a-year summit doesn't come off as serious to me, it is too slow in real actions.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Gerrard59(m): 5:53am On Aug 23, 2023
So Gina Raimondo, the US Commerce Secretary, is visiting China later this month for God-knows-what agenda she wants to discuss. At the same time, the US is placing restrictions on its companies investing in China, wants to, as usual, bully her allies vassals
into doing the same, reduce trade with China, place military bases around China, coaxing South Korea and Japan into an alliance to fight China even when both countries have China as their largest trade partners.

The arrogance is befuddling, and the cognitive dissonance is mind-blowing. BTW, Panso, I am curious, why is it US officials visiting China and not the other way round, considering the US is provoking her through her policies and actions?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by pansophist(m): 9:55am On Aug 23, 2023
Gerrard59:
So Gina Raimondo, the US Commerce Secretary, is visiting China later this month for God-knows-what agenda she wants to discuss. At the same time, the US is placing restrictions on its companies investing in China, wants to, as usual, bully her allies vassals
into doing the same, reduce trade with China, place military bases around China, coaxing South Korea and Japan into an alliance to fight China even when both countries have China as their largest trade partners.

The arrogance is befuddling, and the cognitive dissonance is mind-blowing. BTW, Panso, I am curious, why is it US officials visiting China and not the other way round, considering the US is provoking her through her policies and actions?

That's something I also do not understand about US politics. The idea that they believe they are operating from a position of strength, but are the one asking for open communication, spreading propaganda, doing visitations, and engaging in bloc confrontation.

China did none of these, they are just existing but the US won't let them be. This is a case where you have to look at actions not words. The US is in a position of weakness, and their actions speaks louder than words will ever say.

Now listen to this clown Vivek Ramaswamy. Let me not say anything, listen to this man who is a US presidential candidate and imagine how stupid the kinds of idiots that are qualified to be US President.

https://twitter.com/VivekGRamaswamy/status/1693288147637907815?t=81GlTTWliCs1fsCWNd6pdA&s=19

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Regex: 10:41am On Aug 23, 2023
pansophist:

That's something I also do not understand about US politics. The idea that they believe they are operating from a position of strength, but are the one asking for open communication, spreading propaganda, doing visitations, and engaging in bloc confrontation.

China did none of these, they are just existing but the US won't let them be. This is a case where you have to look at actions not words. The US is in a position of weakness, and their actions speaks louder than words will ever say.

Now listen to this clown Vivek Ramaswamy. Let me not say anything, listen to this man who is a US presidential candidate and imagine how stupid the kinds of idiots that are qualified to be US President.

https://twitter.com/VivekGRamaswamy/status/1693288147637907815?t=81GlTTWliCs1fsCWNd6pdA&s=19

I listened to the hooligan, he is stupid beyond all measures. What is America's problem if countries decide to have a relationship without them? That's a narcissistic behaviour there and it's off putting.

Someone said he was dialoging like an undergrad in Havard university having a debate with his counterpart in Yale.

1 Like

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Gerrard59(m): 11:56am On Aug 23, 2023
pansophist:

I watched the video. In a way, Vivek is correct. You have written the same here. The US aligned economically with China in hopes that she would become an allied Japan through which the US could further bring down Russia. In a nutshell, to get at Russia, the US opened up to China. However, he can't win anyway. Tim Scott has brighter chances than he does. Trump is the likeliest GOP candidate should he trump his court issues. If an Indian-American is to be a formidable front-runner, Ro Khanna of the Democratic Party has brighter chances. Additionally, I don't think or see White Americans voting for a non-White to become the president amidst confrontation with China.

In my opinion, the US is a beacon for the White race regarding global economic, military and soft power strength. No other White-dominated country comes close. China is rising economically, which will diminish that clout. Thus, a white man is needed at the White House to "contain" China's growth.

I recall posting a video where a senior Chinese official stated one of the grievances the US has towards China is because the Chinese invested in Africa to enable Africans to get richer.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by budaatum: 12:29pm On Aug 23, 2023
seguno2:

Why is there not so much money to be made in our country and other African countries, for Americans and Europeans to invest here, for us to be as wealthy and secure in our collective wellbeing, like the Chinese

There isn't "so much money to be made in our country and other African countries" because our purchasing power is low. And our purchasing power is low because our productivity is low. And our productivity is low because we are not organised.

Fix these things and even we will make money amongst our African selves.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by budaatum: 12:32pm On Aug 23, 2023
pansophist:

Actually, US is only committed to fight in Ukraine until the next US presidential election. A new US president might easily change its commitments

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Berlusconi Sentenced To One Year Jail Term. / South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 / Mali: ECOWAS Imposes Economic And Political Sanctions After Election Delay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.