Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,286 members, 7,811,855 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:28 PM

Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike (15042 Views)

N195 Enforcement: Fuel Marketers Plan Shutdown Monday / Fuel Price Hike Looms As Marketers Kick Against ₦0.5m Shipment Charge / Lockdown: Fuel Marketers Threaten To Shutdown Over Low Sales (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike by dre11(m): 6:44am On Aug 16, 2023

Oil marketers, on Tuesday, advised President Bola Tinubu to gradually relax the removal of subsidy on Premium Motor Spirit, popularly called petrol, following the inability of importers to access the United States dollars and the impact which this was having on businesses.

This came as Tinubu ruled out fuel price hike and reversal of fuel subsidy.

However, marketers of petroleum products encouraged the President to learn from Kenya, stressing that the African country had to return subsidy on petrol to curb the devastating impact which its removal had on Kenyans.

“Let them not do the needful, they will see the consequences. We learned this morning that Kenya, which equally removed subsidy and noticed that its effect was so hard on the citizens, has again resumed the subsidy regime for the period of two months,” the Secretary, Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria, Abuja-Suleja, Mohammed Shuaibu, told our correspondent.

He added, “Government is about the people and it must have a listening ear. For Nigeria, how can we be an oil producing nation with four refineries and all of them are down. We now depend on imports.

“When he (Tinubu) announced that thing (subsidy removal), we said it was going to bring problems. Are we not feeling the consequences of that announcement now? It is forex that largely determines the cost of petroleum products here.

“Marketers are not willing to import products again, So if the government is going to relax the removal of subsidy for a while, it should better do that as a matter of urgency.”

Shuaibu argued that despite the fact that the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited announced earlier on Tuesday that it had no intention of increasing petrol price, the cost of the commodity would rise above its current N617/litre in weeks, if the exchange rate continues to increase.

“Relaxing subsidy removal is going to be a very wise decision right now, because going by the price of the dollar, the cost of petrol is bound to rise. In fact, some oil marketers are ready to join the labour union to protest,” he added.

Some dealers had said subsidy on petrol would gradually creep in, should the NNPCL continue to sell at N617/litre, particularly if the rise in forex rate persists.

The National Public Relations Officer, Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria, Chief Chinedu Ukadike, said the outright removal of subsidy would cause severe hardship.

“I’ve been saying this even before subsidy on petrol was removed. How can you stop subsidy without anything on ground as palliatives?

“Trips that used to be N5,000 in the past and now over N15,000. Businesses are shutting down. The suffering is rising. The government has to intervene now,” he stated.

The IPMAN PRO had earlier explained that the price of imported commodities, including petrol, would continue to rise as far as the rate of exchange of the dollar increases.

“Once there is a slack in the naira against the dollar, there is going to be an effect. The demand and supply of forex is a key factor. We should also understand that it is not only petroleum products that use forex.

NEITI reacts

This came as the Nigeria Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative advised the government to initiate and implement a deliberate policy that would attract investors to invest and help in fixing Nigeria’s refineries.

In its latest policy advisory for the oil sector, NEITI advised the Federal Government to come up with a deliberate policy to encourage private investments in refineries.

“A deliberate policy initiative should be implemented with full Presidential backing to encourage Nigerians and foreign investors already awarded licences to establish private refineries in Nigeria.

“The incentives may include tax holidays, institutional support, and availing potential investors in the downstream sector of the available opportunities within the existing ‘Federal Government ease of doing business policy.’

Also calling for intervention, the Executive Secretary, Major Oil Marketers Association of Nigeria, Clement Isong, earlier stated that it was high time the government intervened.

“Well, the President himself said in his speech that if they find petrol prices moving too high, they would intervene. We don’t want prices to move too high, nobody wants that.

“So if the dollar continues to climb, we are expecting some sort of intervention from the government based on what the President said,” the MOMAN official stated.

Similarly, the National President, Natural Oil and Gas Suppliers Association of Nigeria, Benneth Korie, told journalists that one of the best options before President Tinubu currently, was to hasten the repair of Nigeria’s refineries.

Tinubu reacts

Amidst the hike in cost of living brought about by the removal on Premium Motor Spirit popularly known has petrol which has led to a corresponding increase in fuel prices, the Presidency on Tuesday said Nigeria is currently the only country in West Africa enjoying the cheapest and most affordable price of PMS.

The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Ajuri Ngelale, told State House correspondents that daily consumption of fuel has dropped from 67M litres to 46M litres following the removal of subsidy.

Ngelale, who noted that he spoke to the President on Tuesday morning, noted that the President urged stakeholders in the country to hold their peace while adding that the threats of an indefinite strike by the organized labour was premature.

He said, “The President wishes first to state that it is incumbent upon all stakeholders in the country to hold their peace. We have heard very recently from the organised labour movement in the country with respect to their most recent threat.

“We believe that the threat was premature and that there is a need on all sides to ensure that fact finding and diligence is done on what the current state of the downstream and midstream petroleum industry is before any threats or conclusions are arrived at or issued.Secondly, Mr. President, wishes to assure Nigerians following the announcement by the NNPC limited just yesterday that there will be no increase in the pump price of petroleum motor spirit anywhere in the country. We repeat, the president affirms that there will be no increase in the pump price of petroleum motor spirit.”

Speaking further, Ajuri noted that the market having been deregulated would no longer allow a single entity to dominate the market.

“The market has been deregulated. It has been liberalized and we are moving forward in that direction without looking back.

“The President also wishes to affirm that there are presently inefficiencies within the midstream and downstream petroleum sub sectors that once very swiftly addressed and cleaned up will ensure that we can maintain prices where they are without having to resort to a reversal of this administration’s deregulation policy in the petroleum industry.”

Ngelale also noted that Tinubu approved that the chart containing prices of PMS in other countries be transmitted to Nigerians so as to show the cost of PMS in West African countries.

He added, “Senegal at pump price today of N1,273 equivalent per liter, Guinea at N1,075 per liter, Côte d’ Ivore at N1,048 per litre equivalent in their currency, Mali N1,113 per litre, Central African Republic N1,414 per litre, Nigeria is presently averaging between N568 and N630 per litre.

“We are presently the cheapest, most affordable purchasing state in the West African sub-region by some distance. There is no country that is below N700 per liter.

Meanwhile, the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, in a post around 11.48pm on Monday on its official X (formerly Twitter) said it had no intention to increase the pump price of petrol.

https://punchng.com/fuel-marketers-kick-as-fg-rules-out-price-hike/?amp

3 Likes

Re: Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike by Taylor90: 6:45am On Aug 16, 2023
Ever since Tinubu grabbed stole and ran away with power I never see one good news

From one calamity to another

From one Omo to God Abeg

APC supporters said they dodged a bullet not voting Obi

People wey dodge bullet don go carry head knack North Korean missile

104 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike by money121(m): 6:46am On Aug 16, 2023
Ok
Re: Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike by Mourinho84: 6:50am On Aug 16, 2023
Hmm
Re: Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike by Throwback: 6:57am On Aug 16, 2023
Oil Marketers are too accustomed to the jolly situation that previously existed with fuel subsidies.

They should not be the ones seen or heard advocating for its return. It should be the masses who cannot survive this situation.

While I agree that subsidy must go, I have never advocated for its removal before resolving epileptic power supply and our incapacity to locally refine 100% of the petroleum products consumption of Nigeria.

Removing subsidy without the above conditions being satisfied, has always been a recipe for disaster. That is why both Jonathan and Buhari failed despite attempts to remove it. Not until Buhari devised a means to remove it but post dated it until his own departure from government.

All the leading Presidential candidates did not question Buhari's post dated 100% removal of the subsidy.

In fact, some even affirmed that they will not let it stay a day longer.

We have now seen the result of what they all supported.

Even the losers have seen it too, but they are quiet because they know they never challenged Buhari, nor did they proffer an opposing view point during their campaign.

Ironically, the losing opposition candidates seemed to support most of the late policies of the Buhari regime, like the cash swap with its deliberate cash scarcity and this subsidy removal.

71 Likes

Re: Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike by SenatePresdo(m): 6:58am On Aug 16, 2023
Tinubu is the most Confused and worst president in the history of Nigeria, a thief will never learn how to manage what he stole responsibly.

Buhari is 20 times better than Tinubu, under Buhari, people weren't suffering like this.

I never knew Buhari had more human sympathy than Tinubu.

44 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike by LagosFirstSon: 6:59am On Aug 16, 2023
Make una kuku kill Nigerians finish in this country

Like fuel marketers like Tinubu government

6 Likes

Re: Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike by Wealthoptulent(m): 7:13am On Aug 16, 2023

1 Like

Re: Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike by silvoclaira: 7:28am On Aug 16, 2023
Nigeria is getting worse. Standards of living is too poor. Majority is just trying to survive, rather make a living because there'sn't anything to hope from the govt bad policies

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike by Streetdoctor: 7:33am On Aug 16, 2023
Whenever I see some comments on thus forum, I always laugh, why bcs most of u guys hv never being in d affair of an organization or hv never managed a business before.
In decision making, u do consultation first before taken out action.
I remember when I was working in an Ecommerce, d owner stopped outside Lagos delivery, before then, I told him that we hv more sells from outside Lagos than within.
Baba said that d outside Lagos delivery is giving him headache (throughly it was a headach). I told him to allow me handle that area, I started handling it and stuffs like that.
First of all, I compiled list of those that ordered for outside Lagos before. I started making calls and sms, business came back to normal.
Tinubu/APC supporters hv never managed a business before that's why they always support all nonsense from dis govt excluding @festacman, he's just d only APC man that has seen that Tinubu has no business with management of d kantri affairs.
Right now Nigeria needs a business minded person to handle economic issues at hand.

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike by olril17(m): 7:40am On Aug 16, 2023
dre11:

https://punchng.com/fuel-marketers-kick-as-fg-rules-out-price-hike/?amp

Nlfpmod
All the people who put in this wahala will not know peace. Any body wey vote Tinubu na plane crash and trane crash go kill the person and their families. (Amin)
Cos this is so depressing fr

5 Likes

Re: Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike by olril17(m): 7:43am On Aug 16, 2023
Throwback:
Oil Marketers are too accustomed to the jolly situation that previously existed with fuel subsidies.

They should not be the ones seen or heard advocating for its return. It should be the masses who cannot survive this situation.

While I agree that subsidy must go, I havexnever advocated for its removal before resolving epileptic power supply and our incapacity to locally refine 100% of the petroleum products consumption of Nigeria.

Removing subsidy without the above conditions being satisfied, has always been a recipe for disaster. That is why both Jonathan and Buhari failed despite attempts to remove it. Not until Buhari devised a means to remove it but post dated it until his own departure from government.

All the leading Presidential candidates did not question Buhari's post dated 100% removal of the subsidy.

In fact, some even affirmed that they will not let it stay a day longer.

We have now seen the result of what they all supported.

Even the losers have seen it too, but they are quiet because they know they never challenged Buhari, nor did they proffer an opposing view point during their campaign.

Ironically, the losing opposition candidates seemed to support most of the late policies of the Buhari regime, like the cash swap with its deliberate cash scarcity and this subsidy removal.
O ni shoriree

5 Likes

Re: Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike by Sharpsharp00123: 7:47am On Aug 16, 2023
SenatePresdo:
Tinubu is the most Confused and worst president in the history of Nigeria, a thief will never learn how to manage what he stole responsibly.

Buhari is 20 times better than Tinubu, under Buhari, people weren't suffering like this.

I never knew Buhari had more human sympathy than Tinubu.
Chinedu don’t b stupid

Even when u see oil marketers frustrating every effort due to the fact they are used to having money without working for it at d expense of d masses u still want to blame Tinubu

It’s like your stupidity is inherited

Many of u from the land of d rising hate are pathetic

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike by BigBlackPreek(m): 7:51am On Aug 16, 2023
There was a country!

1 Like

Re: Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike by Sharpsharp00123: 7:51am On Aug 16, 2023
Streetdoctor:
Whenever I see some comments on thus forum, I always laugh, why bcs most of u guys hv never being in d affair of an organization or hv never managed a business before.
In decision making, u do consultation first before taken out action.
I remember when I was working in an Ecommerce, d owner stopped outside Lagos delivery, before then, I told him that we hv more sells from outside Lagos than within.
Baba said that d outside Lagos delivery is giving him headache (throughly it was a headach). I told him to allow me handle that area, I started handling it and stuffs like that.
First of all, I compiled list of those that ordered for outside Lagos before. I started making calls and sms, business came back to normal.
Tinubu/APC supporters hv never managed a business before that's why they always support all nonsense from dis govt excluding @festacman, he's just d only APC man that has seen that Tinubu has no business with management of d kantri affairs.
Right now Nigeria needs a business minded person to handle economic issues at hand.
business manager

Tell me how u will manage an inherited business successfully even when those in the affairs before u came in we’re thieves?

U think it’s easy to chase away people who have been enjoying something for more than 8 years?

So for your mind they won’t fight back?

Even to collect ordinary garage from touts na war let alone stop huge funds from well connected n established big men

If e easy, peter obi d messiah won’t b impeached twice in small anambra

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike by Throwback: 7:52am On Aug 16, 2023
olril17:

O ni shoriree

I thought you were laughing at Tinubu?

Pele ti e ooo.

41 Likes

Re: Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike by kerry57: 7:57am On Aug 16, 2023
All that these criminals care about is their pockets. Look at the rate at which prices things especially food are skyrocketing. All they care about is an increase of fuel price so that the prices will heaven rocket if possible. May God deliver NIGERIA FROM GREED

1 Like

Re: Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike by Majorbankz007: 7:58am On Aug 16, 2023
Omo if you get bald hair (Receding hairline) or need beards, check my thread ASAP, I have something for you. 30-45 days treatment

1 Like

Re: Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike by Etranshub(m): 7:58am On Aug 16, 2023
Phew! The never ending fuel/subsidy palava undecided

I make fantastic metal work ranging from iron roofing to handrails and many more

1 Like

Re: Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike by Rareworkx(m): 7:59am On Aug 16, 2023

1 Like

Re: Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike by Racoon(m): 7:59am On Aug 16, 2023
The subsidy cabal.

3 Likes

Re: Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike by spiSeyi: 7:59am On Aug 16, 2023
Fuel marketers fighting for their pocket, and opposition parties using this medium to oppose the sitting government cool . If your preferred candidate is the President will you say what you are saying right now undecided . I repeat no president can fix Nigeria within 6 months, if Obama + Trump + Biden rules Nigeria at the same time with this current economic reality this is how the country will be. I think it is too early to blame PBAT even if he is not our preferred candidate, everyone support is needed for the good of our dear nation

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike by Vinnie2000(m): 8:00am On Aug 16, 2023
Tinubu Removed Fuel Subsidy to Benefit himself, Dangote and other Hausa/FULANI aristocrats. sad

And expects the Independent Marketers (Filling station owners) to Siddon look? 😏

So they Shouldn't make Business Profits while him and his CORRUPT APC Goons feed fat in Abuja? undecided

Yeye INEC Man! 🙁

3 Likes

Re: Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike by naijaboy756: 8:00am On Aug 16, 2023
Emilokan

It is my turn

Oya na!! See you see the power they say you have prepared for since June 12 years ago

5 Likes

Re: Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike by dfrost: 8:01am On Aug 16, 2023
Hmm...
Re: Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike by Streetdoctor: 8:03am On Aug 16, 2023
olril17:

All the people who put in this wahala will not know peace. Any body wey vote Tinubu na plane crash and trane crash go kill the person and their families. (Amin)
Cos this is so depressing fr
Eyaaaa, I understand ur feelings. D signs were their, dis guy avoided debates, he never granted interview of how to govern and his stupid supporters chaired him for that

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike by bluefilm: 8:04am On Aug 16, 2023
It's good that Balablue has brought us to this town hall.

So that tomorrow, no one will come and start saying that he is the best manager of economy and nonsense stuff like that.

Because it is now obvious that Balablue is as clueless as they come.

Not that I was actually expecting any magic or Midas touch from him, though.

Just that ALL his ardent followers and minions can now let us be.

I will remain OBIDIENT now and forever.

6 Likes

Re: Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike by bigdammyj: 8:05am On Aug 16, 2023
Following...
Re: Fuel Marketers Kick As FG Rules Out Price Hike by Dubetex96(m): 8:06am On Aug 16, 2023
Today is a good day to remind everyone that the EU budgeted over €39M for Nigeria’s 2023 election.

Most of the funding went to INEC to conduct a free, fair and credible Elections. They received the funds with gratitude but manhood yakubu decided to rig and Force TINUBU to Nigerians

Manhood yakubu will never die well for all the pains he is causing Nigerians today

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Osun Poll: 2 Eos Not Suspended For Electoral Fraud —INEC / Obiano’s Overrated Fly-over Bridges Already Collapsing, Be Careful While Using. / DSS, EFCC Operatives Besiege Ekweremadu’s Abuja Residence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.