Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,515 members, 7,812,601 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:01 PM

Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice (9251 Views)

My Secretary's Resignation Without Notice Is Crumbling My Company / Doctor Threatens His MD With Resignation Letter. Shares His Reaction. / The Perfect Resignation Letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by winnah(f): 2:20pm On Aug 16, 2023
Good morning family, I never felt the need to do this, it's not like I don't know what else to do. I just need your opinion.
Am currently a Branch manager of one of the biggest indigenous retail company (supermarket) in the country. Some group of Indian investor bought over my company... And I was transferred to Abakaliki to open our new branch. my relationship with the new owners I won't lie, is great..
My net monthly salary now is 110k, I have an official car and I live in the company's quarters.
There's no hope for salary increment. In the next 10 years am not sure of getting to 200k. My fiancee is in pH, and we are hoping to get married by next year.. this places a lot of demand to increase my income so I can afford to take care of my family.

However, I have an offer with another retail company in pH with salary of 200k. The company has promised and increment upon my confirmation. I went for the interview yesterday.. when they saw my experience and everything in my CV they became anxious to bring me in... So they asked how much am expecting I told them 200-250k and they settle at 200k. Right they, the chairman asked HR to give me offer letter and that I should start with immediate effect. My pain now is that,
First ; according to the HR their budget for the position was 300k.. now I've short change my self.. I feel so bad.

Secondly; I don't know how to present this to my MD, how do I tell them am leaving.. and the notice seems short. As I met him yesterday with a lot of expectations and target from me, just don't know how to communicate it to him. How I wish they can offer me this amount. Is two weeks enough to do handing over...

5 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by Narnah(f): 9:11pm On Aug 16, 2023
Your current place of employment, what's the notice period?

I believe you shouldn't leave abruptly and it's somewhat wrong for the new company to expect an immediate resumption, considering you are still working and not unemployed.

Negotiate with the new company on a convenient time frame, say 2 weeks. Again, this is dependent on what your existing contract states ( I'm assuming you have one).

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by JuelzPrime: 11:47am On Aug 17, 2023
Do what's best for you.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by Built2last: 11:47am On Aug 17, 2023
Whats on your contract?

You need to honour it.

The alternative is leave with immediate effect and pay back your current company whatever is the difference.

Remember you will still need them for reference

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by slawomir: 11:47am On Aug 17, 2023
Damnnn niggar

A month is OK
Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by AmadeGTZ(m): 11:49am On Aug 17, 2023
Do you have terrible bald hair. Do you want to grow your beards within thirty to forty days? Checkout my thread ASAP.
Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by crossbreedwears(m): 11:49am On Aug 17, 2023
No na. 1 month is the best way to inform your company

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by Neduzze5(m): 11:49am On Aug 17, 2023
Welcome to PH
Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by CoronaVirusPro: 11:50am On Aug 17, 2023
Of course!

2 weeks is a standard.
Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by nony43(m): 11:50am On Aug 17, 2023
Next time . Just say to them that you believe that the company has a salary structure for the role you applied. You didn’t speak professionally now you have been short changed yourself. Good luck.

Guy delete that picture osiso do you want to loose your job? I am mad at you.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by 1899Milan: 11:50am On Aug 17, 2023
Lol...dont worry, your current employers now know you're planning to leave while your prospective employers know you can be careless with confidential information.

19 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by Paulyaweh(m): 11:50am On Aug 17, 2023
Oga.

How old are you..

Why are you showing personal details online.

Your name and the company name

There was no need to share that

Big big amateur mistake.

Better take it down except you want to lose your job and the new opportunity.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by patrislayqueen: 11:50am On Aug 17, 2023
You don't need to reveal ur identity

Meanwhile, GAS CARBURETOR CONVERTER is still much available... Pay on delivery.
Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by SamuelAnyawu(m): 11:50am On Aug 17, 2023
AmarachiiaFropi:

But they usually prefer a month notice

Prefer or what contract states?

Most organisations atleast two weeks to a month
Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by emmy512: 11:50am On Aug 17, 2023
What did your contract with them say??

It's usually stated the time you should give.

Going contrary to that is wrong
Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by Nobody: 11:51am On Aug 17, 2023
winnah:
Good morning family, I never felt the need to do this, it's not like I don't know what else to do. I just need your opinion.
Am currently a Branch manager of one of the biggest indigenous retail company (supermarket) in the country. Some group of Indian investor bought over my company... And I was transferred to Abakaliki to open our new branch. my relationship with the new owners I won't lie, is great..
My net monthly salary now is 110k, I have an official car and I live in the company's quarters.
There's no hope for salary increment. In the next 10 years am not sure of getting to 200k. My fiancee is in pH, and we are hoping to get married by next year.. this places a lot of demand to increase my income so I can afford to take care of my family.

However, I have an offer with another retail company in pH with salary of 200k. The company has promised and increment upon my confirmation. I went for the interview yesterday.. when they saw my experience and everything in my CV they became anxious to bring me in... So they asked how much am expecting I told them 200-250k and they settle at 200k. Right they, the chairman asked HR to give me offer letter and that I should start with immediate effect. My pain now is that,
First ; according to the HR their budget for the position was 300k.. now I've short change my self.. I feel so bad.

Secondly; I don't know how to present this to my MD, how do I tell them am leaving.. and the notice seems short. As I met him yesterday with a lot of expectations and target from me, just don't know how to communicate it to him. How I wish they can offer me this amount. Is two weeks enough to do handing over...

Delete the pictures bro

Talk to your current employer, get them to increase ur pay, using the current economic trend and increased cost of living, and if u have the balls, u can tell them about these offer, they can match it, you never know. fear is the worst emotion to have as a man, be bold and ask for ur right, what is the worst thing that would happen?

also how can u have official car on 100k salary? u are short changing urself.

Edited: Just 1 look at ur profile, i already know u work at ********, Branch manager on 100k salary, na wa o.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by Usbiv(m): 11:51am On Aug 17, 2023
Should be included in offer letter
Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by Formularcr7: 11:51am On Aug 17, 2023
They will fire you in 24hrs if they have to

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by Kajaard: 11:52am On Aug 17, 2023
winnah:

Why are you posting the picture of your offer letter here?

You want the new company to rescind the offer? Delete that picture.

Do you know the reach of Nairaland? The new company could have seen this post already.

What is wrong with you? Are you a child? Pathetic.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by meum: 11:52am On Aug 17, 2023
What does your offer letter say? Therein lies your answer.

For the short change part, if they budgeted 300k why didn’t they settle for 250k at least? You mentioned that too abi dem no hear? Also if they really had that as a budget then the pay upon confirmation should reflect the actual amount. For instance I f it was supposed to be 400k upon confirmation then they should pay you that since that was their budget & you have impressed them enough to be confirmed.

I had learnt my lesson years ago. If I’m asked about pay I act nice with a very generic response. If they insist, I call an amount I feel I’m worth. If the company can’t pay it’s their loss. The shouldn’t have bothered asking.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by maticar: 11:53am On Aug 17, 2023
winnah:

two weeks is short

you can forfeit the month's pay though and move on
Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by bejick(m): 11:53am On Aug 17, 2023
winnah:

Oga cover the company name evil people full everywhere. even you company people dey nairaland

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by scoobyblogspot(m): 11:54am On Aug 17, 2023
winnah:

When they want to sack someone do they give one month notice? Moreso its an Indian company so what to do? Be sure your new office is solid, again hope no lies behind the new contract from the company cause they can lie alot just to have your services

4 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by dre11(m): 11:54am On Aug 17, 2023
A month notice is whats every employer expect if you want to quit

Or you talk with the Hr and pay a month salary back to the company as penalty for not honouring the agreement on contract of employment.

Because at the long run, you still need their recommendations when you about to be confirmed in your present Work.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by Paulyaweh(m): 11:56am On Aug 17, 2023
Mods please take down this post before this guy will lose his job and any employment opportunities

7 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by Wealthoptulent(m): 11:57am On Aug 17, 2023
What Policy did u sign before u assumed office?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Got An Interview, How Do You Tell Your Present Boss? / An Unexpected Way To Stop People From Quitting / What You Should Know About Some Interviews

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.