Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,083 members, 7,821,735 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:25 PM

Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice (9271 Views)

My Secretary's Resignation Without Notice Is Crumbling My Company / Doctor Threatens His MD With Resignation Letter. Shares His Reaction. / The Perfect Resignation Letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by kiddkash(m): 12:35pm On Aug 17, 2023
winnah:
Good morning family, I never felt the need to do this, it's not like I don't know what else to do. I just need your opinion.
Am currently a Branch manager of one of the biggest indigenous retail company (supermarket) in the country. Some group of Indian investor bought over my company... And I was transferred to Abakaliki to open our new branch. my relationship with the new owners I won't lie, is great..
My net monthly salary now is 110k, I have an official car and I live in the company's quarters.
There's no hope for salary increment. In the next 10 years am not sure of getting to 200k. My fiancee is in pH, and we are hoping to get married by next year.. this places a lot of demand to increase my income so I can afford to take care of my family.

However, I have an offer with another retail company in pH with salary of 200k. The company has promised and increment upon my confirmation. I went for the interview yesterday.. when they saw my experience and everything in my CV they became anxious to bring me in... So they asked how much am expecting I told them 200-250k and they settle at 200k. Right they, the chairman asked HR to give me offer letter and that I should start with immediate effect. My pain now is that,
First ; according to the HR their budget for the position was 300k.. now I've short change my self.. I feel so bad.

Secondly; I don't know how to present this to my MD, how do I tell them am leaving.. and the notice seems short. As I met him yesterday with a lot of expectations and target from me, just don't know how to communicate it to him. How I wish they can offer me this amount. Is two weeks enough to do handing over...
Meet director of company 1 and ask for review of salary.
If they can't, then you can leave with clear conscience
Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by Kajaard: 12:35pm On Aug 17, 2023
winnah:
Good morning family, I never felt the need to do this, it's not like I don't know what else to do. I just need your opinion.
Am currently a Branch manager of one of the biggest indigenous retail company (supermarket) in the country. Some group of Indian investor bought over my company... And I was transferred to Abakaliki to open our new branch. my relationship with the new owners I won't lie, is great..
My net monthly salary now is 110k, I have an official car and I live in the company's quarters.
There's no hope for salary increment. In the next 10 years am not sure of getting to 200k. My fiancee is in pH, and we are hoping to get married by next year.. this places a lot of demand to increase my income so I can afford to take care of my family.

However, I have an offer with another retail company in pH with salary of 200k. The company has promised and increment upon my confirmation. I went for the interview yesterday.. when they saw my experience and everything in my CV they became anxious to bring me in... So they asked how much am expecting I told them 200-250k and they settle at 200k. Right they, the chairman asked HR to give me offer letter and that I should start with immediate effect. My pain now is that,
First ; according to the HR their budget for the position was 300k.. now I've short change my self.. I feel so bad.

Secondly; I don't know how to present this to my MD, how do I tell them am leaving.. and the notice seems short. As I met him yesterday with a lot of expectations and target from me, just don't know how to communicate it to him. How I wish they can offer me this amount. Is two weeks enough to do handing over...

Seun
Mynd44
nlfpmod
Lalasticlala

Mods please take down the picture of the offer letter the naive op attached to this post. Let’s protect his new job since he obviously doesn’t know the implications of his actions. Let’s prevent his village people from smiling. Thanks

5 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by ETEYEN79(m): 12:36pm On Aug 17, 2023
winnah:

Employment agreement mostly states "That after confirmation, either party will give one month notice or one month pay in lieu of notice to terminate this contract" meaning immediate compensation at an amount equal to that an employee would have earned as salary or wages by working through the whole notice period: for example, one month's salary.
Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by Realestatepro(m): 12:44pm On Aug 17, 2023
How can you snap your offer letter and upload on the internet?
Come on bro, delete it asap.

We are your surest real estate plug.
Contact us for genuine land /house Purchase in lagos/ogun etc

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by deltateam: 12:47pm On Aug 17, 2023
winnah:

This is how you lose job and blame your village people.

Remove that offer letter immediately. It's not necessary. Even if it were you should have blurred important details like contact...

Remove NOW!

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by benazir(m): 12:50pm On Aug 17, 2023
You are Good to go
You may only need to forfeit a certain percentage of the your salary for the month.
Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by Karleb(m): 12:54pm On Aug 17, 2023
They should be happy you are giving them a week notice.
Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by Tzar(m): 12:57pm On Aug 17, 2023
Read your employment contract.
But ideally, if you collect weekly salary, give a week notice, if you collect monthly salary, give a month notice,
Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by Femeto: 1:03pm On Aug 17, 2023
I done work 3 weeks for somewhere comot with 1 week notice before grin grin
Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by SerLaery(m): 1:06pm On Aug 17, 2023
GloriousGbola:

Anyone asking you to start with immediate effect is a red flag and a trap. They are trying to make you leave your employer on a bad note and close the door.

Your story also has k leg.

No way a company that gives you an official car pays you 110k. I suspect you are deliberately lying about the allowances

He said net not gross salary

Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by jackmrandy: 1:10pm On Aug 17, 2023
winnah:

i understand the position you are now.. first thing first don't post company letter head online for safety and security purpose....... for your case, talk to your superior, let him know. what's on ground. and secondly ask the HR of the other compay for one month before you resume. within this one month, you can plan yourself and if possible get a replacement for yourself in your current company. or your current company can decide to increase your pay but mind you they won't increase it x2 of of this new one you got. they might make a promise. but since you have mentioned Indians, and you know the owner, anything can happen sha. I remember mine, my HOD TOLD me he will increase my money from his pocket and be paying me from his pocket, I told him no, he should work for his money while I work mine, thats not a work policy. what about if he goes to leave, I try as much as possible to make him understand it will not be fair on my side to be collecting money from him while both of us are working in the same company, simply because he does not want me to leave. that week, it was not easy, as I had so many thoughts going through my head. He took me to the Superior in charge, another Indian, the overall oga was giving a promise of subsequent increase in the future which i am not even sure of. Cos one thing I know about Indians once you start asking for big money, before you know it, they will bring an asistance for you to lessen the work and before you know, they will kick you out after you might have trained the assistance in the job. brotherly sit down and think very well, its not going to be a decision you will just make by merely reading comments here. the final decision will come from you. Then again compare the benefits. its possible salary can be high but what about the benefits attached to that salary... think oh..

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by sleeknaija(m): 1:12pm On Aug 17, 2023
Kajaard:

Why are you posting the picture of your offer letter here?

You want the new company to rescind the offer? Delete that picture.

Do you know the reach of Nairaland? The new company could have seen this post already.

What is wrong with you? Are you a child? Pathetic.

I am surprised at his behaviour too, he isn't professional at all. I am just wondering why someone will post his offer letter on a public platform like Nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by finni(m): 1:16pm On Aug 17, 2023
You better stay where you are with free accommodation and an official car till you get a good option.

The new company will be worst because their salary negotiation has shown that they have no structure and they have a dumb xss as HR.

If you really want to go to Portharcourt because of your financee, then reject the new company offer and ask them for nothing less than N350k; they will negotiate if they really want you and you will get a good bargain to 'hold body' till you get a good company in Portharcourt and dump them.

winnah:

Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by abuhusna1: 1:51pm On Aug 17, 2023
winnah:

Your take home from that come gross is more than 250k per month. You will find out when you get your own accommodation. Bit it's always good to move when you feel it's the right time
Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by Ifakiland(m): 2:06pm On Aug 17, 2023
winnah:

i hope your wife to be is also working? if you like go marrty broke bish put for house....smh
Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by EZENDIZUOGU(m): 2:18pm On Aug 17, 2023
The questions are, 1. who fuels the car?
2. Do you pay for house rent staying at the staff quarter

Because by the time you add all this factors together, you salary of N100K will come to N200K

These are questions begging for answer.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by rafcrown(m): 2:33pm On Aug 17, 2023
Minus your annual leave allowance
A payment in lieu of notice.
Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by winnah(f): 3:27pm On Aug 17, 2023
Pls how can I
emmy512:

Take that photo down ,
Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by winnah(f): 3:29pm On Aug 17, 2023
Pls sir how can I..help me pls
bejick:

Oga cover the company name evil people full everywhere. even you company people dey nairaland
Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by winnah(f): 4:03pm On Aug 17, 2023
Thanks
Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by Charlico2(m): 4:33pm On Aug 17, 2023
Any company asking you to resume immediately after interview can never be rely upon no matter what they promised you. It sounds very unprofessional and hidden charges somewhere.

You can use the opportunity to bargain for a better deal in your present employment since you already have a good rapport with them.

My honest advice.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by winnah(f): 4:38pm On Aug 17, 2023
Thank you sir
Paulyaweh:
Mods please take down this post before this guy will lose his job and any employment opportunities
Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by winnah(f): 5:02pm On Aug 17, 2023
Pls help me .. I want to take down the entire post... How can I .... I've messed up...

nony43:
Next time . Just say to them that you believe that the company has a salary structure for the role you applied. You didn’t speak professionally now you have been short changed yourself. Good luck.

Guy delete that picture osiso do you want to loose your job? I am mad at you.
Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by nony43(m): 5:06pm On Aug 17, 2023
winnah:
Pls help me .. I want to take down the entire post... How can I .... I've messed up...

Just delete the picture.
Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by Powersurge: 6:35pm On Aug 17, 2023
winnah:

My guy, I FEEL you might regret this move. 200k in PH is nothing. I earn over 300k net in Lagos. It's so not enough. Does your new job provide official car? Do you have accomodation?

Do you know what being a manager of retail store in a very low income state like that could get u (I am not talking about stealing o).

My submissions:

1. Ask for a raise from your boss (bring facts and logic to the table. I have asked for a raise before and got 50k extra in a company where the highest an MBA holder got was 10k.

2. Discuss with your fiance about her moving over to your location after marriage (you are the one marrying her. Not the other way round).

Now if you decide to go, leave honourably. If you were just a worker, I would have said u should give them the one week. Give them 1 month. Allow them to sort out your replacement.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by PLENTYNAIR(m): 10:07pm On Aug 17, 2023
Word of advice.

Tell the new company that you can’t resume because you need 1 month to properly handover because of your position in your current place of work.

Trust me, they will wait for you and you will be glad you pass the test. Sometimes we insist a new employee resume immediately but we also know that no responsible employee will leave without due process. Could just be a test after all.

On a second thought, 200k is not good enough to move from your current company considering the added benefits you get from your present company. If you take out monthly transportation and accommodation expenses out of that money what do you think will be the balance?
It’s not always about the basic salary.
Be wise!
Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by justiz5(m): 10:14pm On Aug 17, 2023
nony43:
Next time . Just say to them that you believe that the company has a salary structure for the role you applied. You didn’t speak professionally now you have been short changed yourself. Good luck.

Guy delete that picture osiso do you want to loose your job? I am mad at you.
The guy is not smart.
Why would you upload your picture on a faceless forum in the first place?

The details he have giving in the write-up alone will make his employees know who is behind the post

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by phemmyfour: 9:06am On Aug 18, 2023
winnah:

Check your employment letter, most time a month notice is suffice
Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by winnah(f): 1:55pm On Aug 18, 2023
thanks man...
Re: Is It Right To Give My Company A Week Resignation Notice by winnah(f): 7:19am On Aug 27, 2023
Jesus!! Brother pls talk to me...

Opurumiri:

Do not go to hypercity. I know John Goldsmith very well. You will not be confirmed even after one year

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Professional Bodies & Courses In Nigeria / Financial Risk Manager (very Urgent) / Does "Jack Of All Trades" Necessarily Mean Master Of None?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.