Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,951 members, 7,817,793 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:50 PM

How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time (13547 Views)

The Memory Capacity On My Head Is Two Small, So I Can't Lean / Major Amazing 6 Ways To Improve Your Memory Capacity / How Far Can I Boost My Cgpa At This Level (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by Provoker(m): 12:38pm On Aug 19, 2023
MAVICK2000:
Pls, i need advise(s) on memory capacity and reading hours, i am quiet brillant but i find it hard to read an recall what i read even if i do intensive reading, i still forget most of what i read it like my brain doesn't store, and even after rercusion it still same. Pls s there a way to solve my problem because my exams is drawing near and i have few weeks left
Read to understand, don't limit your reading to lecturer's slide, you can use textbook and YouTube videos. Also try creating your memmonics instead of cramming. Group discussion is also an underrated method of recollecting what your read. Lastly don't pressurize yourself.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by dontrulee: 12:44pm On Aug 19, 2023
There are different methods and ways and it's best to use what's suitable for you.

If you're the type that don't like reading, watch YouTube videos (many of them are very explanatory)

If you're the type that don't like videos, read and try to teach what you've read to someone else, it helps.

If you're the type that likes gisting, create study groups or partners and discuss with them. Ensure they are serious students.

Create associations with the brilliant ones in your class, being close to them will rub off on you one way or the other.

Doing night class, or TDB or coffee is a waste of time and may affect your health in the long run except of course you like stress.

Know the type of learner that you're. Are you a visual learner, auditory learner, kinesthetic learner etc. If you know yourself, you'll be able to improve on yourself.

Eat good food and exercise well also.

There are different study methods like SQ3R, OK4R etc. You can use anyone that's convenient for you.

Another great tool is using Pi, your personal AI. that's a great tool for learning.
Hope this helps for a lazy student that wants to pass well.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by Ten06(m): 1:03pm On Aug 19, 2023
It is just sheer determination and commitment, couple with some few supplements to boost the brain power.
Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by Geovanni412(m): 1:04pm On Aug 19, 2023
Newman20:

Hey, law undrgrad here. Do you mean you NEVER took any notes throughout the duration of your law school experience?

From my POV that looks kinda counter-intuitive as we remember more of what we write when we take notes. You just have to learn how to take them effectively.

@OP try using the cornell note taking method. It's the note taking method I use to maintain my first class CGPA. I think it'll be very helpful for you.

In my set, The guy that made a first class from ABU who was dominant in answering questions in class barely managed to make a pass.

Law school strategy is different from university tactics.

My set went on covid break and we were chilling then we got notification to come back to campus. Once in campus, we were made aware that we would write the exam in six weeks.

I made flashcards (over 700) on anki and I had question banks on evernote and simple note and I practised drafting by writing it in sections.

The question bank is the note.

You see something that catches your interest, instead of writing civil litigation is... You simply write, what is civil litigation in your evernote/notion/exercise book.

Using apps like evernote, you can revise on the go wherever you are.

You save your time that way and you train your mind to work in the same manner as an exam environment

Think on this...

What's the point in repeating the information in textbooks in your note especially in an envt like law school with 5 different materials for each subject flying around?

Not to talk of all the handouts and voicenotes from former students you will see during the dying embers close to exam

Just write questions and refer to the particular page in the handout where the answer lies.

The only thing you have to do is answer the questions and if you fail the question, you refer to the particular page where the answer is and reread it

In addition to your own question bank, work with the past questions.

There are past questions that link the topic being studied with a previously asked law school exam question

1 Like

Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by SuperOnyi: 1:22pm On Aug 19, 2023
MAVICK2000:
Pls, i need advise(s) on memory capacity and reading hours, i am quiet brillant but i find it hard to read an recall what i read even if i do intensive reading, i still forget most of what i read it like my brain doesn't store, and even after rercusion it still same. Pls s there a way to solve my problem because my exams is drawing near and i have few weeks left

shocked

I'm currently editing my book, it's about becoming an exceptional student. I wrote about having a study method and study plan...

You might get a digital copy.
Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by zudozz: 2:07pm On Aug 19, 2023
Please will all these suggestions work for reading for tech (Scrummasters, serviceNow etc) or when you are learning Forex?

Forex seems be too complicated and complex that I feel like giving up already grin

Please someone should help?
Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by joinnow: 2:20pm On Aug 19, 2023
MAVICK2000:
Find jim quick book and study it
Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by Determinedbobo: 2:41pm On Aug 19, 2023
[quote author=harmargedon post=125208617] Banana and milk . You don't remember because your Brain doesn't fancy the information it's receiving. In order to boost your memory, you have to create an event whenever you study, like putting the text into reality. For me I read when I'm with people, if I remember their conversation, I'll remember all I've read.
Or you can pick the key words in the text and store them in your head.[/quot

The issue with reading to understand is that most Nigerian lecturers would always demand what they gave you. Writing from understanding point of view normally lands one in E
Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by Newman20(m): 2:45pm On Aug 19, 2023
Geovanni412:

In my set, The guy that made a first class from ABU who was dominant in answering questions in class barely managed to make a pass.

Law school strategy is different from university tactics.

My set went on covid break and we were chilling then we got notification to come back to campus. Once in campus, we were made aware that we would write the exam in six weeks.

I made flashcards (over 700) on anki and I had question banks on evernote and simple note and I practised drafting by writing it in sections.

The question bank is the note.

You see something that catches your interest, instead of writing civil litigation is... You simply write, what is civil litigation in your evernote/notion/exercise book.

Using apps like evernote, you can revise on the go wherever you are.

You save your time that way and you train your mind to work in the same manner as an exam environment

Think on this...

What's the point in repeating the information in textbooks in your note especially in an envt like law school with 5 different materials for each subject flying around?

Not to talk of all the handouts and voicenotes from former students you will see during the dying embers close to exam

Just write questions and refer to the particular page in the handout where the answer lies.

The only thing you have to do is answer the questions and if you fail the question, you refer to the particular page where the answer is and reread it

In addition to your own question bank, work with the past questions.

There are past questions that link the topic being studied with a previously asked law school exam question

Your method sounds interesting but it's really as good as you've hyped it up to be then why does no one ever talk about it? Especially since these apps have been around since the early 2000s.

I think it's more of a different strokes for different folks kind of issue. Some people may prefer to write stuff down while others prefer to use flashcards.

In truth, I have heard this Flashcard/spaced repetition stuff referred to in some circles but the problem is that it is VERY difficult and unintuitive for the average person to get into and used incorrectly, it can lead to disaster in a person's academic session (speaking from experience here). I'm not sure anyone here (including the OP himself) has the kind of time to expend learning it.

On the other hand, writing down your notes is a tried and tested method that brilliant people use over and over to achieve first class grades and above. You can never go wrong as a student writing things down and doing group discussions and group studying. Or how many top students have you seen referring to apps like ANKI as their main study app? In truth it's just a small part of the engine, but you people treat it like the entire car (the entire study method) and it's limiting you.

The best advice I can give you, OP, is to take notes properly (or better yet, just snap form those that already made theirs) and join hands with some of your classmates so you all can read and prepare together (This second part is essential. Many students adopt a sort of lone wolf mentality and it costs them over time. Don't be like that).

This has been the crux of my study strategy over these years. Don't risk your semester over something you could easily mess up. Like Geovanni said, ANKI is a good app for spaced repetition but it requires SKILL to use. And you could easily mess up your semester if you don't know what you're doing. Apply the methods I just gave you and come back during your semester break to master ANKI if you're still interested.

Sorry for the long post.
Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by harmargedon: 2:49pm On Aug 19, 2023
[quote author=Determinedbobo post=125215855][/quote] yes, that's the problem with the Nigerian system of education.
Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by JohnnA1: 3:23pm On Aug 19, 2023
Westerhoffe:
Get enough walnut.
Boil them.
Peel off the shell.
Dry and then grind it to powder.
Mix it with pure natural honey.

Take 2 tablespoonfuls morning and night for 1 month.

You'd go for Thanksgiving.

This preparation is recommended for children with very dull and low retentive memory.
Interesting... won't the boiling deminish the nutrients? How many minutes for the boil?
Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by Geovanni412(m): 3:24pm On Aug 19, 2023
Newman20:

Your method sounds interesting but it's really as you've hyped it up to be then why does no one ever talk about it?

I think it's more of a different strokes for different folks kind of issue. Some people may prefer to write stuff down while others prefer to use flashcards.

In truth, I have heard this Flashcard/spaced repetition stuff referred to in some circles but the problem is that it is VERY difficult and unintuitive for the average person to get into and used incorrectly, it can lead to disaster in a person's academic session (speaking from experience here). I'm not sure anyone here (including the OP himself) has the kind of time to expend learning it.

On the other hand, writing down your notes is a tried and tested method that brilliant people use over and over to achieve first class grades and above. You can never go wrong as a student writing things down and doing group discussions and group studying. Or how many top students have you seen referring to apps like ANKI as their main study app? In truth it's just a small part of the engine, but you people treat it like the entire car (the entire study method) and it's limiting you.

The best advice I can give you, OP, is to take notes properly (or better yet, just snap form those that already made theirs) and join hands with some of your classmates so you all can read and prepare together (This second part is essential. Many students adopt a sort of lone wolf mentality and it costs them over time. Don't be like that).

This has been the crux of my study strategy over these years. Don't risk your semester over something you could easily mess up. Like Geovanni said, ANKI is a good app for spaced repetition but it requires SKILL to use. And you could easily mess up your semester if you don't know what you're doing. Apply the methods I just gave you and come back during your semester break to master ANKI if you're still interested.

Sorry for the long post.

Your advice on studying in groups is on point.

Group study, with interactions, however, should be like 5% of your study time. I think it should be geared towards answering past questions mainly.

Also, getting notes and materials from your study mates as you suggested is helpful

Your study mates may even come up with acronyms that will help you remember key things in exam.

Anki is slightly complex but I can set it up for him if he is serious. I followed tutorials from https://leananki.com before I started using anki. You don't need more than 2 days, even if you are a slow learner to get used to Anki if you follow his tutorials.

Medical students use Anki a lot especially those in UK and USA. It's from YouTube I learnt about it. There are many videos on it off there. Quizlet is good and simpler to use but it needs internet to work.

Anki is not the main part of the engine. I think you misunderstood that aspect. The main part of the engine is the questions you write in your note or in a note taking app like Evernote.

Flashcards are useful for recalling facts and not for explaining complex topics. Useful for foolish obj questions in law school that expect you to recall one obscure line from a textbook or a particular year. Things that require rigid format like lists or step by step procedures or drafts are best learnt with flashcards. Anything you would regularly learn with mnemonics.

Flashcards are not for explaining concepts in jurisprudence or for answering problem questions.

That is the job of your question bank. Simulate the exam situation.

On the issue of question bank, Ali Abdaal has a video on it. I adopted the idea from him specifically for law school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed8D8V26C8E
Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by JohnnA1: 4:06pm On Aug 19, 2023
Geovanni412:

Here's the fastest way to solve your problem...

Stop making Notes

Yes, I said that...

What you need to do is to write questions instead for each chapter you read

Then develop a timetable based on spaced repetition

Structure your revision so that you would have answered the questions in your question bank 4-5 times before the exam

Understand this....

It is natural for you to forget much of what you read within the first three days.

To avoid this, read and make question bank.

Then answer the questions on first day of revision. Do the same exercise on day 2 of revision.

Then schedule two more sessions before the exam date....if exam is in a month, schedule a revision session once every week

Now, if you did the question bank exercise, you will find out that it becomes easier to answer some questions in seconds whilst for some other questions, you keep forgetting the answers

Mark the questions you keep forgetting the answers and work on them.

Depending on the nature of the exam, you might want to use flashcards and voice notes as well.

A good app for that is Anki. I used it successfully for my law school exams (COVID set). It is free and will provide you with a custom schedule for spaced repetition

If you want further guidance on how to use Anki or tips on how to memorise specific information like numbers, dm me and I can be more specific.

Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by FireUpNow(m): 4:22pm On Aug 19, 2023
Oya people who sabi please drop your own
Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by Geovanni412(m): 4:38pm On Aug 19, 2023
JohnnA1:
Would like your Anki tips.
What's your email? OR WhatsApp?
Mine: elancepress@gmail
Thanks in advance.

Sure..replied your mail.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by Newman20(m): 4:44pm On Aug 19, 2023
Geovanni412:

Your advice on studying in groups is on point.

Group study, with interactions, however, should be like 5% of your study time. I think it should be geared towards answering past questions mainly.

Also, getting notes and materials from your study mates as you suggested is helpful

Your study mates may even come up with acronyms that will help you remember key things in exam.

Anki is slightly complex but I can set it up for him if he is serious. I followed tutorials from https://leananki.com before I started using anki. You don't need more than 2 days, even if you are a slow learner to get used to Anki if you follow his tutorials.

Medical students use Anki a lot especially those in UK and USA. It's from YouTube I learnt about it. There are many videos on it off there. Quizlet is good and simpler to use but it needs internet to work.

Anki is not the main part of the engine. I think you misunderstood that aspect. The main part of the engine is the questions you write in your note or in a note taking app like Evernote.

Flashcards are useful for recalling facts and not for explaining complex topics. Useful for foolish obj questions in law school that expect you to recall one obscure line from a textbook or a particular year. Things that require rigid format like lists or step by step procedures or drafts are best learnt with flashcards. Anything you would regularly learn with mnemonics.

Flashcards are not for explaining concepts in jurisprudence or for answering problem questions.

That is the job of your question bank. Simulate the exam situation.

On the issue of question bank, Ali Abdaal has a video on it. I adopted the idea from him specifically for law school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed8D8V26C8E

Exactly my senior colleague. Everything up there is so correct and useful. My question though is why so many people still don't know about it especially since it was released since 2005. Even in 2000 there were other spaced repetition apps like supermeno that no one knew of.

Also, do you use Anki and Evernote on your phone?
Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by Geovanni412(m): 4:59pm On Aug 19, 2023
Newman20:

Exactly my senior colleague. Everything up there is so correct and useful. My question though is why so many people still don't know about it especially since it was released since 2005. Even in 2000 there were other spaced repetition apps like supermeno that no one knew of.

We can chat more on the subject via email. Mine is

newman20nl@gmail.com

Sent you a mail.

On why people don't know more about Anki

Tbh, the average big man or Nigerian does not evolve. They stop reading or looking for ways to improve themselves after they reach a certain age.

Anki, is a fantastic app but it is not user friendly especially the PC version.

If I didn't look at the website I posted earlier for tips,https://leananki.com/, perhaps I would have dumped the app.

But once you get used to it, especially for learning facts, it becomes easier for the person to use.

In conclusion, Anki isn't user-friendly compared to alternatives like quizlet. Most Nigerian students do not use their phone for studying, probably, due to electricity issues or sheer apathy.
Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by Newman20(m): 5:11pm On Aug 19, 2023
Geovanni412:

Sent you a mail.

On why people don't know more about Anki

Tbh, the average big man or Nigerian does not evolve. They stop reading or looking for ways to improve themselves after they reach a certain age.

Anki, is a fantastic app but it is not user friendly especially the PC version.

If I didn't look at the website I posted earlier for tips,https://leananki.com/, perhaps I would have dumped the app.

But once you get used to it, especially for learning facts, it becomes easier for the person to use.

In conclusion, Anki isn't user-friendly compared to alternatives like quizlet. Most Nigerian students do not use their phone for studying, probably, due to electricity issues or sheer apathy.

I've replied your mail. Yeah, it's like I mentioned earlier. The skill curve involved is enough to discourage many potential users from joining.

When mastered it can be very useful but for most people it's better to just stick to what we know and go with that instead of going through the heavy trial and error required to make it work.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by JohnnA1: 5:17pm On Aug 19, 2023
Geovanni412:

Sure..replied your mail.
Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by Geovanni412(m): 5:36pm On Aug 19, 2023
JohnnA1:
I Neva see your mail oh
elancepress@gmail dot com

check now.
Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by DataPiercer: 6:08pm On Aug 19, 2023
Geovanni412:

Here's the fastest way to solve your problem...

Stop making Notes

Yes, I said that...

What you need to do is to write questions instead for each chapter you read

Then develop a timetable based on spaced repetition

Structure your revision so that you would have answered the questions in your question bank 4-5 times before the exam

Understand this....

It is natural for you to forget much of what you read within the first three days.

To avoid this, read and make question bank.

Then answer the questions on first day of revision. Do the same exercise on day 2 of revision.

Then schedule two more sessions before the exam date....if exam is in a month, schedule a revision session once every week

Now, if you did the question bank exercise, you will find out that it becomes easier to answer some questions in seconds whilst for some other questions, you keep forgetting the answers

Mark the questions you keep forgetting the answers and work on them.

Depending on the nature of the exam, you might want to use flashcards and voice notes as well.

A good app for that is Anki. I used it successfully for my law school exams (COVID set). It is free and will provide you with a custom schedule for spaced repetition

If you want further guidance on how to use Anki or tips on how to memorise specific information like numbers, dm me and I can be more specific.

Isn't creating anki or tips or flash cards stressful ,like won't you be cutting paper and wasting time without doing the actual reading?
Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by Hustlerconnect: 6:30pm On Aug 19, 2023
The little secret that works for me like magic is you should try and record what you want to memorize and listen to it repetitively.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by Ebios(m): 6:31pm On Aug 19, 2023
majesticguy:

It seems you've been cramming and reading, rather than studying.

Try to study.

Read to understand and not just for reading sake.

Relate what you read to real life events and activities.

Jot down points while studying, it helps you recall what you've read.

Some folks read once and never forget. Others need to read the same thing multiple times so as to remember, find out what works for you.

Irrespective of the handouts and material given, try to read further to gain more insight and knowledge on the topic, but make sure the additional information you are gaining falls within the scope of the study materials or handouts.

Revision of what you read the previous day in the wee hours of the following day also helps memory retention.

Look for folks you can revise with after studying, ask them questions on what you don't understand.

Although, the above rarely works for the fire brigade approach.

If you want to adopt the reading for understanding approach, then you should have started from the onset of the semester.

The hidden answer has been given.
No more no less.
Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by Geovanni412(m): 6:34pm On Aug 19, 2023
DataPiercer:

Isn't creating anki or tips or flash cards stressful ,like won't you be cutting paper and wasting time without doing the actual reading?

Good question

Your job is to read first then develop questions for what you read

It is after you do that, that your focus should be on creating flashcards

Creating manual flashcards is more stressful than creating anki flashcards

If you setup your anki app properly using the tips on https://leananki.com/start-here and -https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXL_lTSgbB_VBrcQnK1c72A1AMTvXcu70

You won't have much issues with making the flashcards.

You can setup spaced repetition. If you want to learn the material for 3 years sef, anki will continue reminding you.

You can make the flashcards with your phone or when you are on your PC

The interface is not so simple . So, give yourself some time and read through the blog i posted whilst you download the app on pc and on mobile and check the youtube link i posted below

-https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXL_lTSgbB_VBrcQnK1c72A1AMTvXcu70

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by DataPiercer: 6:37pm On Aug 19, 2023
Geovanni412:

Good question

Your job is to read first then develop questions for what you read

It is after you do that, that your focus should be on creating flashcards

Creating manual flashcards is more stressful than creating anki flashcards

If you setup your anki app properly using the tips on https://leananki.com/start-here and -https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXL_lTSgbB_VBrcQnK1c72A1AMTvXcu70

You won't have much issues with making the flashcards.

You can setup spaced repetition. If you want to learn the material for 3 years sef, anki will continue reminding you.

You can make the flashcards with your phone or when you are on your PC

The interface is not so simple . So, give yourself some time and read through the blog i posted whilst you download the app on pc and on mobile and check the youtube link i posted below

-https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXL_lTSgbB_VBrcQnK1c72A1AMTvXcu70
Wow ,Wow..thank you very much ..if I have further questions I'll ask
Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by Geovanni412(m): 6:39pm On Aug 19, 2023
zudozz:
Please will all these suggestions work for reading for tech (Scrummasters, serviceNow etc) or when you are learning Forex?

Forex seems be too complicated and complex that I feel like giving up already grin

Please someone should help?

Join the forex trade group on nairaland

Ask for free courses there.
Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by zudozz: 9:17pm On Aug 19, 2023
Geovanni412:

Join the forex trade group on nairaland

Ask for free courses there.

Oh Tanx. Please how do I join? I am using a laptop, not a phone.
Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by Clara16(f): 10:23pm On Aug 19, 2023
Call upon God.

Believe me, years back when I was in school, I had the same issue.

At first I thought it has to do with my reading plan and how I read.

But I discovered that in life is not about how much you study, but only the grace of God.

Build a relationship with God, pray and study and read your Bible.

Take God first, and study your books.

On the exam day, don't cheat.

Before the exam day let God know that you are everything to Him.

Believe me, it worked for me and am glad to see the goodness of God, in the land of the living.🙂

For more tips, chat me up on WhatsApp with this number.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by JohnnA1: 10:26pm On Aug 19, 2023
Newman20:

Hey, law undrgrad here. Do you mean you NEVER took any notes throughout the duration of your law school experience?

From my POV that looks kinda counter-intuitive as we remember more of what we write when we take notes. You just have to learn how to take them effectively.

@OP try using the cornell note taking method. It's the note taking method I use to maintain my first class CGPA. I think it'll be very helpful for you.
What's the Cornell note taking method? YouTube link?
Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by int0x80(m): 10:27pm On Aug 19, 2023
MAVICK2000:
If you were quite brilliant as you said, you wouldn't be here asking this question. Since you don't have retentive memory, it's better to study ahead of your exams and then revise when the exams draw nearer. Good luck in your exams!
Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by Mosco100(m): 12:27am On Aug 20, 2023
Study to show yourself approved unto God.
Re: How Do I Boost My Memory Capacity And Reading Hours Time by Geovanni412(m): 2:02am On Aug 20, 2023
zudozz:

Oh Tanx. Please how do I join? I am using a laptop, not a phone.