Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,494 members, 7,812,529 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:50 PM

Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated (16075 Views)

How Much Did You Save Before Quitting Your Salary Job For Your Own Business? / Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please / Employee Appreciation Day: How Would You Love To Be Appreciated? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by seanwilliam(m): 1:02pm On Aug 19, 2023
Run pos, phone accessories and charging for same shot. Just find better location . Just that your capital is small
Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by bonnyhope: 1:03pm On Aug 19, 2023
Ibibioman:
I've been working in an Asian company since 2017, then my salary was 70k, but it fluctuates up and down currently I've been at 100k for the past 3 years or so.

Recently I was transferred to a village with no electricity and the salary remains the same.

I'm an engineering graduate from one of the top federal Universities in the south west.

Nevertheless, I've come to a stage where I'm considering business, given my set-aside capital of about 1million naira, and because of the Sunday to Sunday work schedule, I am considering quitting, inorder to start either a barbing shop, POS, or bike business .

Do you think it is a good idea?

Continue with that job and keep searching for engineering job in other companies.

Business world is toxic now

4 Likes

Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by NaijaCover(m): 1:03pm On Aug 19, 2023
Jennyclay:
Biko, come and use the 100k to take me out on an expensive date.

It’s better to spend the money on me than waste it on business you have no idea about. Its not as if the economy is friendly undecided

Biko, come and lavish it on me!!!!

Bad News Is Here

4 Likes

Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by bonnyhope: 1:05pm On Aug 19, 2023
Jennyclay:

It’s better to spend the money on me than waste it on business you have no idea about. Its not as if the economy is friendly undecided

I love you
Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by Nobody: 1:07pm On Aug 19, 2023
Taylor90:
Nigeria is gone

See where engineering graduate wan quit him job for bike POS or barbing

Nigerians Ntorrrr

My own advise be say carry that 1million recruit 10 olosho put them for road make them dey do weekly account

What is wrong in barbing, pos and biking for a graduate?

Are they not legitimate services that have a high demand?

1 Like

Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by Nobody: 1:09pm On Aug 19, 2023
Ibibioman:
I've been working in an Asian company since 2017, then my salary was 70k, but it fluctuates up and down currently I've been at 100k for the past 3 years or so.

Recently I was transferred to a village with no electricity and the salary remains the same.

I'm an engineering graduate from one of the top federal Universities in the south west.

Nevertheless, I've come to a stage where I'm considering business, given my set-aside capital of about 1million naira, and because of the Sunday to Sunday work schedule, I am considering quitting, inorder to start either a barbing shop, POS, or bike business .

Op, quit that job and go ahead with the business if your feasible studies and business research rights.
Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by Hardy123(m): 1:10pm On Aug 19, 2023
Follow your heart
Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by oilngas7818: 1:10pm On Aug 19, 2023
God will see you through

Are you interested in the LPG gas business? Then you can get your fully installed refill ready skid gas plant at a very affordable price.contact me
Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by Hardy123(m): 1:11pm On Aug 19, 2023
Txr456gg:
;
Stupid scammer. Why not help your family members with your sure odds. Fool angry
Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by PepeXKermit: 1:12pm On Aug 19, 2023
maasoap:

And those who voted PDP and LP are full of business ideas? Except that I didn't see any idea in your comment grin grin grin. So much ideas from Ellupe family

If you don gerrit forgerabbourit.. grin
Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by Olushylay1(f): 1:13pm On Aug 19, 2023
It is well with you,alot of graduate don't even have a job that earns close to 55kper month..I will advise you not to quit your job. Starting a business and continuity is very difficult in Nigeria.You may not be able to meet up to the expectations of making a profit and end up spending the 1million.
Why dnt you keep the job and continue saving for traveling out of the country.
Get a good agent and leave this country.
Remember that engineers are very important overseas.

3 Likes

Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by AfonjaConehead: 1:14pm On Aug 19, 2023
Jennyclay:

So you are this cheap, haba grin

1 Like

Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by AmazingELixir: 1:15pm On Aug 19, 2023
lipsrsealed

Chai my brother.....don't quit yet, see if you can use that capital to procure land in that village and start a farm to augment your income until when the inflow becomes steady.

To be honest with you...I can't imagine myself working for an Asian company oo..but since you're on it already persevere until you get established.

As it stands now anybody earning less than N300k in this current situation of things is truly on a long thing.

2 Likes

Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by aku626(m): 1:16pm On Aug 19, 2023
I’ll tell you for free: do not quit, that is a stable income for now. Try and get something(like another job) that will enable you branch out into your own hustle(if that’s where you want to go).
Starting a business in Nigeria isn’t for the weak believe me, the reason your company is still afloat is because they’ve people who are willing to work for them for almost free.

4 Likes

Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by Nobody: 1:23pm On Aug 19, 2023
Ibibioman:

With 1 million Naira? Don't try it now, my brother.
I can tell you from experience, that the business environment in Nigeria is so hostile that your 1 million Naira can be exhausted in a few months, without something tangible to show for it.
Keep doing your current job and bide your time.
Business for Nigeria now no be beans oo.
Ronu oooo!

2 Likes

Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by Juanmike(m): 1:24pm On Aug 19, 2023
Jennyclay:

You are saying the same thing, its better he waste it on booze and dorime than on a over 40 years old Feminist.
Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by easzypeaszy(m): 1:26pm On Aug 19, 2023
oluseyiforjesus:
Don't, it's could be to test u capacity den later you will be double promoted
Hmmm just dey play
Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by emeraldlife: 1:27pm On Aug 19, 2023
This is not the right time to venture into bike transport. Prices of fuel has gone up yet no increase in the cost of transportation. POS is a viable one depending on location. At the moment, it’s not booming as before

Don’t quit your job yet. Let this business you want to go into be something that someone could oversee for you while you continue with your present job.

May God prosper the legit works of our hands, amen

2 Likes

Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by Didi2d(m): 1:28pm On Aug 19, 2023
Start the business first, nurture and build the business before you consider resigning.

I know few people where I work, they resigned, took some millions home. Started business and the business collapse and they came back looking for casual work
Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by 1phone(m): 1:30pm On Aug 19, 2023
And which ashewo would agreed to use her oil well for freelancing

They'd rather meet those fake native doctors or buy keyamata to withdraw that change from the guy's account with a kiss
Taylor90:
Nigeria is gone

See where engineering graduate wan quit him job for bike POS or barbing

Nigerians Ntorrrr

My own advise be say carry that 1million recruit 10 olosho put them for road make them dey do weekly account
Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by wunmi590(m): 1:31pm On Aug 19, 2023
Ibibioman:

Please don't quit your job for a business, if you have a trusted brother you can put in your busness, do it and you work along it to give you extra income...

The present Nigeria 🇳🇬 is not really smiling when it comes to business, except for those who sell things that are in demand like food....

Please don't quit, just esta list it and put your blood trusted brother there and have 2 stream if income....
Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by meritadavize1(m): 1:31pm On Aug 19, 2023
Get a very good location, with that money start laundry and pos business in the same shop and employ laundry assistance

1 Like

Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by Arab1234567: 1:38pm On Aug 19, 2023
Jennyclay:
marry Kwa? undecided

Biko, i can’t marry someone earning 70k. God forbid!!

It’s just a date, that’s all.

How much you yourself is earning. You that your parent are still feeding you.
Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by Buffalo2(m): 1:39pm On Aug 19, 2023
look for a small piece of land in that village or whereever, buy 2 tanks and start fish farming. Once it booms, leave job

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by kunleham(m): 1:41pm On Aug 19, 2023
Dialpad:
No no, you can leave and find a new job.... don't try business yet.

Starting a business is a big deal especially when you have no experience, your reason for starting is not because you want to solve a problem, you might end up blowing the 1 million naira and find yourself starting life all over again
I think this is a better advice
Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by jaxxy(m): 1:43pm On Aug 19, 2023
Ibibioman:

how much will it cost to start a standard barbers shop in a lucrative area or position?

if u must resign make sure u do ur maths well and also make sure u are not spending all ur money on any new business.

Also as an engineering graduate u should be about to get another job depending on ur location or learn an online skill to support ur business since u will have more time for urself.

Do not let a company that pays u peanuts control ur life.

1 Like

Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by Arab1234567: 1:44pm On Aug 19, 2023
Jennyclay:

You better stay caution may they no go use you for ritual
Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by Fugazy2023: 1:47pm On Aug 19, 2023
Ibibioman:

Diversify your investment. Invest at least $100 in forex market. I can trade for you and we share the profit 40% - 60% on a monthly basis. It's a choice
Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by akpota(m): 1:52pm On Aug 19, 2023
Ibibioman:

If electricity is your concern. I can deploy solar system for cheap amount bro. There isnt too much in pos business now. The best i would advise is keep your job and have a business cos business have up and downs.
Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by grandstar(m): 1:54pm On Aug 19, 2023
Jennyclay:

I am sure you're much sweeter than you sound.
Re: Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated by SmartThief(m): 1:54pm On Aug 19, 2023
Since you did Engineering in school, why not learn a digital skill and work online? Why demote yourself to a more frustrating job. If you need a better business to venture into, reply me and I will drop some for you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lagos City Polytechnic Condition For Keeping One's Job (Pictured) / Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters / What Was Your First Salary Ever??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.