Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,282 members, 7,815,477 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:01 PM

How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? (24504 Views)

Am I At Risk Of HIV Infection After Sex In Imo Hotel? / World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection / Little Girl Dies Of Ear Infection After 3 Lagos Hospitals Failed To Treat Her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Zeezenho: 3:41pm On Aug 22, 2023
DoctorAyukebot:

If she was on antiretroviral medications as it should be the case her viral load would be non detectable, making it hard for her to pass on the virus

Ya you were right.but my doctors told me I have a rear kind of antibody that prevents me from most kind of infections.
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by DoctorAyukebot(m): 3:44pm On Aug 22, 2023
Zeezenho:

Ya you were right.but my doctors told me I have a rear kind of antibody that prevents me from most kind of infections.

πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…
Lucky You
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by DoctorAyukebot(m): 3:59pm On Aug 22, 2023
Padipadi:

You don't post educative post related to medicine or science. Your knowledge is needed here so much.

Thank you Sir. Hence forth I would make an effort to be frequent on the Health Section of Nairaland. I'm looking at starting a health blog and vlog too. For the average African there is a lot of fake health tips out there promoted through myth, folklore, superstition and social media. I wanted to set up a vlog that demystifies fact from fiction to advance health in one way or the other. My area of expertise is in Pharmacognosy which is the science of the knowledge of the physical and chemical structure of drugs of natural origin....

1 Like

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by lifenajeje(m): 4:03pm On Aug 22, 2023
Get HIV DNA PCR done ..

It's expensive over 25k ..

It most accurate and picks up the virus it's in ur system even from 3 atdays after exposure .

Ur sure plug for

PEP and PrEP and other scarce medication .

WhatsApp or call

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by ozo13(m): 4:08pm On Aug 22, 2023
DoctorAyukebot:

The window period for most HIV antibody tests is 3months (12weeks) after exposure. I don't know which test assay is popular in Nigeria, but in Cameroon the test kit DETERMINE is a first line cos of it's high sensitivity. That means it will for the most part pick up antibodies. Oral Quick is used for confirmation cos of it's high specificity. This means sometimes cos of DETERMINE's high sensitivity it could show a false positive that needs to be confirmed with a high specificity kit like Oral Quick that's good at detecting antibodies specific to HIV..

If you tested negative at the ten week mark it's very very likely you would be negative at the 12weeks mark. Most rapid tests in use in 2023 can accurately pick antibodies at the 6weeks mark. However in line with regulation do test again at the 12 weeks mark post exposure to have a confirmatory result

Dr Ayukebot O Rowland
Pharmacognosist
Flavell MEDICINA
usually I think determine strip is use first and if it's positive they recheck with unigold.
For p24 , it can detect HIV DNA within 2weeks -4weeks of infection .but as the post exposure day increases, the reliability of the P24 decrease .
Usually in standard hospitals in Nigeria, most blood meant for transfusion are initially screen with Determine strip and those blood donor that pass the determine test as well as that of Hepatitis B and C will donate blood but such blood are further screen with the P24 machine so that those having the early phase of the disease can still be further screened out before transfusing such blood.

1 Like

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Pipefitter: 4:36pm On Aug 22, 2023
omejeb:

we just met and had unprotected sex..i barely know her
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ I have been there... Your own was only going for test...bro I went and got PrEP the drug nearly killed me, nothing beats peace of mind tho

1 Like

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Dancebreaker: 5:03pm On Aug 22, 2023
Chunedujohnson6:
It takes at least six months which is approximately 25 weeks and nothing less.

See the requirements you need to apply for your UK student visa here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8eIPCfi0ZA

ok
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Larry1960: 6:30pm On Aug 22, 2023
Zeezenho:
I dated an Hiv positive lady we had unprotected sex for years before I found out she is positive surprise surprise its over 10 years now and am still negative.

She was probably undetectable her viral load must have been lower than 20 copies if she's on her routine drugs and taking it regularly she can become undetectable
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by kashboy222(m): 6:31pm On Aug 22, 2023
Larry1960:

She was probably undetectable her viral load must have been lower than 20 copies if she's on her routine drugs and taking it regularly she can become undetectable

baba I pray God touch your heart to bless me. Make I start my pos business. I have been down recently due to some difficulties I went through as a result of getting scam of my money but that's a story for another day

I wish people would come to my aids
Someone to donate embrella or chair for me
I just need to start hustling to make day end meets
I won't be lying upon down saying I never chop but I just want to set up my life in order. Please guys anyone who can help me
I would really appreciate it. With prayers and stuffs, I'm willing to drop proof that I have bought the terminal. Remaining small capital plus chair and embrella to start my business which I'm still hustling to do.
God bless you guys...
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Theunderman: 6:52pm On Aug 22, 2023
Your result won't change, and 95% sure to be negative at week 12
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Sheffieldconsul: 7:32pm On Aug 22, 2023
You're good bro. Go and do the confirmatory test at another lab tho.
omejeb:
Please how accurate can hiv test detect hiv within 10weeks of exposure...i have done two lab tests one at 3weeks after exposure then the other was at 10weeks after exposure.. cry
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by IamgratefulLord(f): 8:05pm On Aug 22, 2023
πŸ₯΄
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by femmoy(m): 8:36pm On Aug 22, 2023
omejeb:

Thanks a lot sir,I will be going for a confirmation test by the month end..and I have questioned the lady I had sex with she told me she too feels scared and haven't had sex after since she gave birth as a single mom

Believe the bold at your peril
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Loyalty1: 8:39pm On Aug 22, 2023
omejeb:

And you slept with her unprotected. God forbid bad thing. You people will not hear word
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by TrustNone: 8:49pm On Aug 22, 2023
honour7:

You don. Crase bro 😆🤣 grin
grin
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Bennysam: 8:57pm On Aug 22, 2023
omejeb:
I have done about two tests within the window periods..the first was 3weeks after exposure then the other one I did was 10weeks after the exposure but all came out negative..but the lab scientist told me I have to come back for a confirmatory test in three months time and that should be next month...i don't know the chances of it still going to show negative...fear wants to kill me here πŸ˜ͺπŸ˜ͺπŸ˜ͺπŸ˜ͺ
Any test afte 7 weeks is 90 percent accurate
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Bennysam: 9:02pm On Aug 22, 2023
omejeb:
Please how accurate can hiv test detect hiv within 10weeks of exposure...i have done two lab tests one at 3weeks after exposure then the other was at 10weeks after exposure.. cry
Your test is accurate stop disturbing yourself
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Dimehook: 9:24pm On Aug 22, 2023
Ok
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by manchyme: 9:36pm On Aug 22, 2023
OyeofIkoTuN:
Exposure bi bawo?...

Is HIV an airborne disease..?

When people are busy taking lectures, you're busy smoking weed for off-k

1 Like

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Chidolalar: 10:19pm On Aug 22, 2023
Pipefitter:
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ I have been there... Your own was only going for test...bro I went and got PrEP the drug nearly killed me, nothing beats peace of mind tho

Pls I heard d pep drug is very strong.
I heard it will distablize your body system
Pls can u share d effects from d drug
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Chidolalar: 10:21pm On Aug 22, 2023
DoctorAyukebot:

Thank you Sir. Hence forth I would make an effort to be frequent on the Health Section of Nairaland. I'm looking at starting a health blog and vlog too. For the average African there is a lot of fake health tips out there promoted through myth, folklore, superstition and social media. I wanted to set up a vlog that demystifies fact from fiction to advance health in one way or the other. My area of expertise is in Pharmacognosy which is the science of the knowledge of the physical and chemical structure of drugs of natural origin....

Hello sir I heard d pep drug after exposure for HIV is very strong.
Pls can u say highlights d strong side effects from taking d drug
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by DrDunamis(m): 11:39pm On Aug 22, 2023
omejeb:

Depending your test strip and method.
Some 2-4 weeks but best option is after 3months.
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Jkilo: 11:44pm On Aug 22, 2023
Usually, the window period for HIV infection is 3months. After 10weeks, there's a very high tendency that you might still test negative, unless ofcos your immune system is very low.
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by ajog1: 1:29am On Aug 23, 2023
Pipefitter:
I had little to no side effects while taking the PEP gotten from a hospital. It has got me thinking I was given a fake Pep drug.
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Chidolalar: 1:48am On Aug 23, 2023
Zeezenho:

How did u find out she was HIV positive
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Olushylay1(f): 5:51am On Aug 23, 2023
DoctorAyukebot:

The window period for most HIV antibody tests is 3months (12weeks) after exposure. I don't know which test assay is popular in Nigeria, but in Cameroon the test kit DETERMINE is a first line cos of it's high sensitivity. That means it will for the most part pick up antibodies. Oral Quick is used for confirmation cos of it's high specificity. This means sometimes cos of DETERMINE's high sensitivity it could show a false positive that needs to be confirmed with a high specificity kit like Oral Quick that's good at detecting antibodies specific to HIV..

If you tested negative at the ten week mark it's very very likely you would be negative at the 12weeks mark. Most rapid tests in use in 2023 can accurately pick antibodies at the 6weeks mark. However in line with regulation do test again at the 12 weeks mark post exposure to have a confirmatory result

Dr Ayukebot O Rowland
Pharmacognosist
Flavell MEDICINA

Am sure Dr Ayukebot O Rowland has answered your question.Thats means your Chances of having HIV is very slim. Lets wait till 12weeks.Will pray along with you.But please,this may just be a warning sign from God.Dnt fornicate again God hates it so much.
You will come out clean by God's grace(Amen)
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by BALLOSKI: 6:40am On Aug 23, 2023
omejeb:

your head de shake.
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by BALLOSKI: 6:45am On Aug 23, 2023
omejeb:
I have done about two tests within the window periods..the first was 3weeks after exposure then the other one I did was 10weeks after the exposure but all came out negative..but the lab scientist told me I have to come back for a confirmatory test in three months time and that should be next month...i don't know the chances of it still going to show negative...fear wants to kill me here πŸ˜ͺπŸ˜ͺπŸ˜ͺπŸ˜ͺ
Don't have unprotected sex with anyone you're not married to, to save yourself this stress and trauma. I've advised myself accordingly.

If you advise some people, they'd say "they don't enjoy sex with condom", then enjoy the normal first 1 minute burst and rest.

Wallahi, sex is not worth this stress and trouble.
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Pipefitter: 6:55am On Aug 23, 2023
Chidolalar:

The first thing before the issue you the drug is that you will go for kidney test before and after taking it for 30days... They said it can destroy kidney, they won't issue it if your kidney isn't strong enough.. it was a battle before they gave it to me, they said ofni suspected my partner I should bring her for test rather than risk taking the drug, but how do I ask ashawo to follow me to hospital for HIV test? I told her the person has travelled and unreachable... The drugs has so many side effects which could be seen with a google search but the most prominent of them is that you may be walking on a busy road and not realize you are in public... I couldn't finish mine and I skipped few days too
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Theunderman: 6:56am On Aug 23, 2023
Chidolalar:

Get ready to eat oo, it will give u hunger

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NAFDAC Nabs Businessman, Obinna Igbo, Over Importation Of Fake Anti-Malaria Drug / 7 Proven Health Benefits Of Kissing / Toddler Branded Witch And Abandoned In Akwa Ibom (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.