Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,570 members, 7,812,843 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:27 PM

How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? (24486 Views)

Am I At Risk Of HIV Infection After Sex In Imo Hotel? / World’s First Gene-edited Babies Created In China, To Resist HIV Infection / Little Girl Dies Of Ear Infection After 3 Lagos Hospitals Failed To Treat Her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by otemeh01(m): 1:38pm On Aug 22, 2023
omejeb:
I have done about two tests within the window periods..the first was 3weeks after exposure then the other one I did was 10weeks after the exposure but all came out negative..but the lab scientist told me I have to come back for a confirmatory test in three months time and that should be next month...i don't know the chances of it still going to show negative...fear wants to kill me here πŸ˜ͺπŸ˜ͺπŸ˜ͺπŸ˜ͺ
You most likely don't have HIV. It's would have been positive by now if u had it. Recent HIV test kit are very sensitive. At 10weeks, I put my money that u don't have it.

2 Likes

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by assholemods: 1:38pm On Aug 22, 2023
Curious346:

Best of option is go for the test with your partner
Is that what he asked you? Irrelevant response.
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by fastseo: 1:41pm On Aug 22, 2023
omejeb:
I have done about two tests within the window periods..the first was 3weeks after exposure then the other one I did was 10weeks after the exposure but all came out negative..but the lab scientist told me I have to come back for a confirmatory test in three months time and that should be next month...i don't know the chances of it still going to show negative...fear wants to kill me here πŸ˜ͺπŸ˜ͺπŸ˜ͺπŸ˜ͺ

apart from the stigmatisation which is common in Nigeria.. there is nothing to fear about. if it eventually turn positive which it will not.

hiv is not that dreaded again as scientists have made great break through in getting drugs that helps and one leave up to 90years plus with no issues
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by GrammarNazi1(m): 1:43pm On Aug 22, 2023
omejeb:

Thanks a lot sir,I will be going for a confirmation test by the month end..and I have questioned the lady I had sex with she told me she too feels scared and haven't had sex after since she gave birth as a single mom
Women!

Lol.
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Kajaard: 1:49pm On Aug 22, 2023
omejeb:
Please how accurate can hiv test detect hiv within 10weeks of exposure...i have done two lab tests one at 3weeks after exposure then the other was at 10weeks after exposure.. cry

10 weeks is not enough. The minimumexposure period to get an accurate test result is 12 weeks (3 months).
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Kajaard: 1:51pm On Aug 22, 2023
omejeb:

Thanks a lot sir,I will be going for a confirmation test by the month end..and I have questioned the lady I had sex with she told me she too feels scared and haven't had sex after since she gave birth as a single mom

If you believe the lady or any woman that tells you that rubbish then you are the most gullible person on earth.

3 Likes

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Padipadi(m): 1:52pm On Aug 22, 2023
DoctorAyukebot:

The window period for most HIV antibody tests is 3months (12weeks) after exposure. I don't know which test assay is popular in Nigeria, but in Cameroon the test kit DETERMINE is a first line cos of it's high sensitivity. That means it will for the most part pick up antibodies. Oral Quick is used for confirmation cos of it's high specificity. This means sometimes cos of DETERMINE's high sensitivity it could show a false positive that needs to be confirmed with a high specificity kit like Oral Quick that's good at detecting antibodies specific to HIV..

If you tested negative at the ten week mark it's very very likely you would be negative at the 12weeks mark. Most rapid tests in use in 2023 can accurately pick antibodies at the 6weeks mark. However in line with regulation do test again at the 12 weeks mark post exposure to have a confirmatory result

Dr Ayukebot O Rowland
Pharmacognosist
Flavell MEDICINA
You don't post educative post related to medicine or science. Your knowledge is needed here so much.
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by NaughtyBrainiac: 1:56pm On Aug 22, 2023
DoctorAyukebot:

The window period for most HIV antibody tests is 3months (12weeks) after exposure. I don't know which test assay is popular in Nigeria, but in Cameroon the test kit DETERMINE is a first line cos of it's high sensitivity. That means it will for the most part pick up antibodies. Oral Quick is used for confirmation cos of it's high specificity. This means sometimes cos of DETERMINE's high sensitivity it could show a false positive that needs to be confirmed with a high specificity kit like Oral Quick that's good at detecting antibodies specific to HIV..

If you tested negative at the ten week mark it's very very likely you would be negative at the 12weeks mark. Most rapid tests in use in 2023 can accurately pick antibodies at the 6weeks mark. However in line with regulation do test again at the 12 weeks mark post exposure to have a confirmatory result

Dr Ayukebot O Rowland
Pharmacognosist
Flavell MEDICINA
What do you people mean by "After exposure" ?

Is it After unprotected sexual intercouse with someone you don't know his or her status OR

After having unprotected sexual intercourse with someone that is HIV positive?
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by mizz2posh: 1:59pm On Aug 22, 2023
omejeb:

Better don't give yourself bp. One thing most people don't know is that, the risk of a man getting HIV from a woman is very low, that's not to say u can't, especially if you already had other STD, the type that cause open wounds, blisters, sores etc then you are exposed, and can get HIV. But most men that get HIV are typically ones who take it in the butt from other men, or men who had prior STDs, you can do your research on this .

3 Likes

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by qtx(m): 2:00pm On Aug 22, 2023
But wait o, i thought some people cliam to be healing hiv like jeremiah abalaka of medicrest hospital? Has anyone been healed by them in real life sef? Bc if they truly cure hiv why are people not going to them for treatment?
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Negroid001(m): 2:01pm On Aug 22, 2023
omejeb:
Please how accurate can hiv test detect hiv within 10weeks of exposure...i have done two lab tests one at 3weeks after exposure then the other was at 10weeks after exposure.. cry

Usually 3 weeks.
But after a month you're good to go.
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Zeezenho: 2:02pm On Aug 22, 2023
I dated an Hiv positive lady we had unprotected sex for years before I found out she is positive surprise surprise its over 10 years now and am still negative.
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by mircos: 2:03pm On Aug 22, 2023
how to build an online marketplace: Foster a sense of belonging by allowing users to interact through comments, reviews, ratings, and even social sharing. The power of a community amplifies engagement and loyalty.
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by kenchop: 2:07pm On Aug 22, 2023
YOU HAVE DONE MULTIPLE TESTS AND ALL CAME OUT NEGATIVE. NA ONLY YOU KNOW WETIN YOU DEY LOOK FOR AGAIN. AFTER NEXT MONTHS TEST PLEASE GO AND REST BEFORE YOU WILL FIND WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR.

omejeb:
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by honour7: 2:10pm On Aug 22, 2023
ideatoprince18:
May How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed favor me and my family

You don. Crase bro πŸ˜†πŸ€£ grin
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by elpochas: 2:12pm On Aug 22, 2023
Soccrates:
:
One of such supplements that can cure it is collidal silver,it helps to clean and purify your blood, reactive dead blood cells and also helps starve the hiv virus in the body of oxygen.With this the virus can become undetectable by a standard test.

I know lots of people that got cured from this.
They say collidal silver is harmful to the health,how true is dat,?
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by spiceadole: 2:17pm On Aug 22, 2023
omejeb:

we just met and had unprotected sex..i barely know her

Youths and careless irresponsible sexual behaviour.
Tueh
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Jewessgratitud3: 2:21pm On Aug 22, 2023
Mtchewwww.. when you're were doing it, you didn't think of all this. Na so una dey koba una wife for house.

I thank God I no dey kukuma reason man matter again. Very careless beings.
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by obembet(f): 2:21pm On Aug 22, 2023
HeartlessMan:
Do another test.
Keep doing until it's positive

Werey ni boy yi grin grin

1 Like

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by staga: 2:25pm On Aug 22, 2023
omejeb:

You need to be flogged. SERIOUSLY! Give your life to God and stop this silly philandering.
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Business3600: 2:31pm On Aug 22, 2023
omejeb:

Take her to an hospital. Let her get tested, If she's negative then u are safe unless you have different sex partners
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by DoctorAyukebot(m): 2:43pm On Aug 22, 2023
NaughtyBrainiac:
What do you people mean by "After exposure" ?

Is it After unprotected sexual intercouse with someone you don't know his or her status OR

After having unprotected sexual intercourse with someone that is HIV positive?

In the case of HIV, having unprotected sex with anyone whose HIV status you can't ascertain as of the time of the sexual encounter is an exposure to their bodily fluids which might contain HIV. Even more damning is the fact that once you sleep with someone whose status you can't ascertain it means in principle you have slept with everyone the have slept with

1 Like

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Johel(m): 2:44pm On Aug 22, 2023
omejeb:

Bro... please for the fear of HIV, never try unprotected sex with a complete stranger,and if you want to,get a strong antibiotics down so you can take few minutes after sex.

Secondly, observe your genitals for 2 weeks after sex.

HIV is the deadliest and most brutal disease there is.
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by DoctorAyukebot(m): 2:46pm On Aug 22, 2023
Zeezenho:
I dated an Hiv positive lady we had unprotected sex for years before I found out she is positive surprise surprise its over 10 years now and am still negative.

If she was on antiretroviral medications as it should be the case her viral load would be non detectable, making it hard for her to pass on the virus

2 Likes

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by NwaIgboBoy(m): 2:46pm On Aug 22, 2023
HIV na hoax

France and USA cashout with hiv through CDC

1 Like

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by IGLE25(m): 2:56pm On Aug 22, 2023
You for no knack the girl at all..... Now your mind no rest.... Let me wait for others to comment joor... Let us know the final result o.......
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by lomaxx: 2:56pm On Aug 22, 2023
DoctorAyukebot:

In the case of HIV, having unprotected sex with anyone whose HIV status you can't ascertain as of the time of the sexual encounter is an exposure. Even more damning is the fact that once you sleep with someone whose status you can't ascertain it means in principle you have slept with everyone the have slept with

Nah. Science is science whether it’s HIV or Covid-19.

HIV Exposure means one has been in contact with the virus but cannot ascertain whether they have been infected.

Case in point: HIV Exposed Infants. They are exposed because they are in contact with an HIV-infected mother.

Contact with body fluids of an infected person is the only way to get the virus, why should the definition of HIV exposure via sexual intercourse be different?

2 Likes

Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Eriokanmi: 2:58pm On Aug 22, 2023
omejeb:

How can you be so stupid this day and age? We preach this everyday yet, some still think it's a joke. Pray you escape this.
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by Eriokanmi: 3:02pm On Aug 22, 2023
DoctorAyukebot:

Dr Ayukebot O Rowland
Pharmacognosist
Flavell MEDICINA
Still Determine remains the most sensitive
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by akube34: 3:04pm On Aug 22, 2023
omejeb:
wait till 12 weeks to confirm. E fit still Dey form
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by bolousadex: 3:32pm On Aug 22, 2023
You don't have HIV. dont let your mind play tricks as you will soon start having HIV symptoms. HIV is a very difficult virus to catch and you most likely will not have it even if you sleep with HIV positive person unprotected. That said, always use protection subsequently but REST, you no get HIV...you can buy the rapid test kit which is about 3k. It's as accurate as any lab test expecially if you wait for 3 months or more
Re: How Soon Does Lab Test Detect HIV Infection After Being Exposed? by DoctorAyukebot(m): 3:36pm On Aug 22, 2023
lomaxx:

Nah. Science is science whether it’s HIV or Covid-19.

HIV Exposure means one has been in contact with the virus but cannot ascertain whether they have been infected.

Case in point: HIV Exposed Infants. They are exposed because they are in contact with an HIV-infected mother.

Contact with body fluids of an infected person is the only way to get the virus, why should the definition of HIV exposure via sexual intercourse be different?

The Cambridge Dictionary defines exposure as the state of having no protection from something harmful. In the case of Covid people were required to wear masks and social distance irrespective of wether it was obvious the parties around were positive or not.

I don't know if you in the health field but there is a non Occupational Post Exposure Prophylaxis treatment known as nPrEP recommended by the WHO in 2013 to be offered to victims of rape. In most cases the victims dont need to proof whoever raped them was HIV positive. So long as the degree of sexual assault is deemed risky based on the exchange of certain fluids, they get administered Post Exposure Treatment. So yes each time you have unprotected sex with someone whose HIV status you can't ascertain, you get exposed to their bodily fluids and Potentially Exposed to HIV and other STD's

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Please What Is This Growth? / Siamese Twins Die Months After Delivery In Katsina. Photos / NAFDAC Nabs Businessman, Obinna Igbo, Over Importation Of Fake Anti-Malaria Drug

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.