Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,062 members, 7,828,762 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:48 PM

Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons (45371 Views)

The Disadvantages Of Sending Your Children To Boarding Schools / Holiday Lessons, Summer Lessons, Whatever They Call It, Is A Scam! / All These Holiday Lessons Are Scams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by saysoo: 1:23pm On Aug 21, 2023
dkdmy:
Agreed! Most parents do it because they are busy!
Not easy to be a parent! How our parents raised 6 of us remains a mystery to me
then the society was not these bad, kids can go out play till dawn and still come back home, try it now ?
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by occfx: 1:25pm On Aug 21, 2023
Oduok:

Sending kids to holiday lessons makes no sense.

Most of you will make your kids go to school till they become useless. You took them to school at age 3 and abandon them there. During long vacation you still send them to school. To do what?

Can't you spend time to bond with your kids? What exactly are they going to achieve in school during vacation? Vacation lesson only favour school owners, not you. Allow kids rest for God's sake.

If you should engage kids during long vacation then teach them skills. Enrol your kids in centres that they can learn practical computer usage, coding, programming, painting and decoration, catering, musical instruments. Let them learn martial art, how to shot guns, how to wrestle. Teach them something beyond pure academics.

If a school should organize long vacation class then it should gear towards extra curricula activities - debate, modelling, music concert, science fair, mini project. How would you call kids back to school during holiday to learn Math, English, Chemistry, Social studies, accounting, by same teachers that taught them during school period. What is the difference? If these teachers knew what to teach why didn't they do it during normal school session.

Education is beyond memorizing facts. Give your kids opportunity to develop and be better prepare for life.

I practically went to nysc PPA to correct these things but I sounded stupid to everyone. Britain did a lot of damages in our brains and it will take a sound president or leader to correct those things
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by bonnyhope: 1:26pm On Aug 21, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:
Now I know where the problem is coming from. Parents!!!!!... Allow us breath!!!!

You claim summer lessons are not important or beneficial now but tomorrow you'll go and start complaining to the schools that your wards are not doing well in their studies and threaten to withdraw them meanwhile you're here discouraging what will help the school to help your wards excel academically

If a child cannot read and understand basic English, how will he thrive in other extra curricular activities?
If he can't solve maths, how will he be able to do quick mental calculations during the so called activities? I don't get it!

Little wonder why we teach from morning till noon still nothing sticks and they can't retain much in their memory because all you parents do is let them play throughout after school and on weekends and they come the following day/week with empty brains. Please!!!

Your wards need this lessons so they don't forget the little they were able to gain before they vacated and all the money you spent the previous term doesn't go to waste. Now, you coming here to discourage this simply means you don't care about their academics which is the leverage and foundation any child needs to climb the ladder of success in a system that works.

I'm shocked to say the least. To think this is coming from 21century parents who know very well that the moral standards of the society has dropped so badly that children no longer have interest in school and all they want to do is play and do social media. Na wa o.

You can use weekends to send them for recreational activities not this long summer Biko. Before one pikin go come dey tell me, Miss, I'm in number A.

See teacher protecting and defending his source of income.......I understand

2 Likes

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by kayo80(m): 1:28pm On Aug 21, 2023
dkdmy:
Agreed! Most parents do it because they are busy!
Not easy to be a parent! How our parents raised 6 of us remains a mystery to me

I swear. The older I get, the more respect I have for both my parents.
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Flier: 1:29pm On Aug 21, 2023
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin This poster really think its a childs play to take care of children or its easy to keep them elsewhere apart from school
Children that wont mind killing you with stress before they resume
anyway when you born your own children,send them to predators rather than school during holiday or keep them at home alone

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Bfly: 1:29pm On Aug 21, 2023
I shift most of the blames concerning the dwindling society on the parents. They have a very big role to play and need to understand raising kids in a proper way is most important.
Imagine a parent registering a child in an exam centre and pay for examination malpractice on behalf of the kid even at SS2. What lesson would such child learn? Only that act can kill the little moral in the child. And the unfortunate thing is that it is becoming rampant.

Many parents have caused more problem for the country more than the government can solve.

1 Like

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by kayo80(m): 1:29pm On Aug 21, 2023
Angelfrost:
Leave them... Very dull parents creating anti-social and dull kids.

When we were growing up, these long summer holidays were things to look forward to... They were awesome times of bonding with loved ones, visiting long distant relatives, learning our cultures and traditions, visiting lovely towns, skill acquisition, etc.

These made us return back in September's new session with vivid and interesting stories, refreshed and eager to learn, and more focused.

How can kids attend school almost every day of the year??! You guys have turned formal education into Bank work (These ones even still go on monthly leave at least).

grin grin
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by bonnyhope: 1:31pm On Aug 21, 2023
Timagex:
I blame this on the mentally of "band wagon". Once someone does something in Nigeria, everybody will follow.

Mummy junior sent junior to go and do holiday coaching, therefore, I should send my child too.

That is the main reason everybody wants to buy corrola.

That is the same reason everybody wants to Japa.

That was the reason many people jumped into e hailing (Uber and stuffs).

The herd mentality in Nigeria is the problem.

CHECK MY SIGNATURE!! I AM THE WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER YOU HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR!!!

As it is now if you never japa or plan to japa then you never prepare to live good life plus your children

Emigration is the new song now
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by oluwaseyi0: 1:31pm On Aug 21, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:
Now I know where the problem is coming from. Parents!!!!!... Allow us breath!!!!

You claim summer lessons are not important or beneficial now but tomorrow you'll go and start complaining to the schools that your wards are not doing well in their studies and threaten to withdraw them meanwhile you're here discouraging what will help the school to help your wards excel academically

If a child cannot read and understand basic English, how will he thrive in other extra curricular activities?
If he can't solve maths, how will he be able to do quick mental calculations during the so called activities? I don't get it!

Little wonder why we teach from morning till noon still nothing sticks and they can't retain much in their memory because all you parents do is let them play throughout after school and on weekends and they come the following day/week with empty brains. Please!!!

Your wards need this lessons so they don't forget the little they were able to gain before they vacated and all the money you spent the previous term doesn't go to waste. Now, you coming here to discourage this simply means you don't care about their academics which is the leverage and foundation any child needs to climb the ladder of success in a system that works.

I'm shocked to say the least. To think this is coming from 21century parents who know very well that the moral standards of the society has dropped so badly that children no longer have interest in school and all they want to do is play and do social media. Na wa o.

You can use weekends to send them for creative activities not this long summer Biko. Before one pikin go come dey tell me, Miss, I'm in number A.

If the school can't teach them the academic during school hours and even extended evening lesson then school teacher should simply request government to extend school term duration or better still completely cancel holiday

You can't call something holiday and expect pupils to still show up in school

It's like my office giving me leave and also expecting me to show up at work

1 Like

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Mindlog: 1:31pm On Aug 21, 2023
toprealman:

Even Havard university still put together summer school to help students fix their deficiencies.
Some kids have learning deficiencies and that is the main purpose of extramural classes.

Those Harvard University students are ADULTS.

I work with children and adolescents with learning disabilities, holiday lessons is not an effective intervention.

2 Likes

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Cocolatti(m): 1:32pm On Aug 21, 2023
Oduok:

Most of you will make your kids go to school till they become useless. You took them to school at age 3 and abandon them there. During long vacation you still send them to school. To do what?

Can't you spend time to bond with your kids? What exactly are they going to achieve in school during vacation? Vacation lesson only favour school owners, not you. Allow kids rest for God's sake.

If you should engage kids during long vacation then teach them skills. Enrol your kids in centres that they can learn practical computer usage, coding, programming, painting and decoration, catering, musical instruments. Let them learn martial art, how to shot guns, how to wrestle. Teach them something beyond pure academics.

If a school should organize long vacation class then it should gear towards extra curricula activities - debate, modelling, music concert, science fair, mini project. How would you call kids back to school during holiday to learn Math, English, Chemistry, Social studies, accounting, by same teachers that taught them during school period. What is the difference? If these teachers knew what to teach why didn't they do it during normal school session.

Education is beyond memorizing facts. Give your kids opportunity to develop and be better prepare for life.
Finally I have found someone who shares the same opinion with me. I have three kids and so far I have never enroll them for summer lesson and will never do that.

2 Likes

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Jewessgratitud3: 1:33pm On Aug 21, 2023
bonnyhope:

See teacher protecting and defending his source of income.......I understand

You think so but you don't know what we go through trying to revive through thorough revisions and intensive tutoring all they missed out during the hols. That is for those who didn't attend summer classes. It's mentally and physically draining. If you doubt, try taking a class.

You people think teaching is easy but if you're are given opportunity to take a class for 10 mins, many of you will sweat your ass out.

During a PTA meeting, a parent was given a simple arithmetic to solve, she messed up big time.
-209. She got there and rearranged it like this

before solving it because she felt the 6 under unit cannot take away 9. I'm sure such parents are here supporting this yeye motion.

Shame!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Whoknow: 1:35pm On Aug 21, 2023
Oduok:

Make sence, the problem is that some parents see their children as disturbance hence when holidays are approaching they become afraid on how to cope with the children therefore in other to avoid such disturbance they would think where to send the children to and the best option they could arrive at is sending them to holiday lessons.

1 Like

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by henrinity(m): 1:35pm On Aug 21, 2023
This makes sense
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by CodeTemplar: 1:36pm On Aug 21, 2023
Oduok:

lol..take it easy.
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by OgbeniOja1: 1:38pm On Aug 21, 2023
I understand holiday lessons are profitable to you hence your stance but truly be rational. The attention span of a child isn't much. From normal class lesson to after school lesson to holiday lessons. Let the child breath abeg.
Jewessgratitud3:

You can use weekends to send them for creative activities not this long summer Biko. Before one pikin go come dey tell me, Miss, I'm in number A.

1 Like

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Coolbadguy: 1:40pm On Aug 21, 2023
I agree to this. Very right.
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Franky9584(m): 1:41pm On Aug 21, 2023
U have said it all...if only they will hear.

The laziness of today's parents is the cause of it all especially mothers, they are too lazy to attend to their kids Instead they will always want to send them away.

I pity the this generation and generations to cum
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Cjayboy: 1:41pm On Aug 21, 2023
Me; I do allow them for holiday lessons, but the first 🥇 half of the holidays must be spent with Dad, mummy and relatives in other to learn house chores and bonding with traditional approach.

Time for everything ...
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by President2001(m): 1:43pm On Aug 21, 2023
Your perspectiion is very very wrong lesson has been a channel for every toddler majority of us attend lesson before register to school, what the school fail to teach them lessons will do that
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Mindlog: 1:43pm On Aug 21, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

You think so but you don't know what we go through try to revive through thorough revisions and intensive tutoring all they missed out during the hols. That is for those who didn't attend summer classes. It's mentally and physically draining. If you doubt, try taking a class.

You people think teaching is easy but if you're are given opportunity to take a class for 10 mins, many of you will sweat your ass out.

During one PTA meeting, a parent was give a simple arithmetic to solve, she messed up big time.
-209. She got there and rearranged the sum like this 209
256 before solving it because she felt the 6 under unit cannot take away 9. I'm sure such parents are here support this yeye motion.

Shame!

Is a qualified teacher not trained to " go through trying to revive through thorough revisions and intensive tutoring"?

Holiday lessons is not of the benefit of the child but for the benefit of the parents, schools and teachers.

1 Like

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by toprealman: 1:48pm On Aug 21, 2023
Mindlog:

Those Harvard University students are ADULTS.

I work with children and adolescents with learning disabilities, holiday lessons is not an effective intervention.
You don’t wait till your bone ossify to do a reset! That you WORK WITH blah blah blah doesn’t make you an expert counsel in this regards!
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Richie6(m): 1:49pm On Aug 21, 2023
Unfortunately, the curriculum we run here in Nigeria and the external exams we write doesn't give room for these flexibility. In a British system of education, Primary pupils and Junior take few subjects, they write just three papers during exams. Maths, English and Science..

Same with the senior Secondary School Students in Nigerian Schools, they take like 12 subjects and enrol like 9 subjects for external exams. Students writing IGCSE exams under the British Schools, take maximum 5-6 subjects.. Their exams is even divided in two, core and extended students.

Go and look at our scheme of work and curriculum, it's too broad and knowledgeable based. They're topics to teach during mid term break and even to week 12.
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Mindlog: 1:52pm On Aug 21, 2023
toprealman:

You don’t wait till your bone ossify to do a reset! That you WORK WITH blah blah blah doesn’t make you an expert counsel in this regards!

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Boyooosa(m): 1:53pm On Aug 21, 2023
Oduok:

As much as your last day rst paragraphs make sense, u need to understand that some parents have jobs and it is more cost effective ror them to have their kids being under a reliable custody, this will save whole lot
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by dododawa1: 1:55pm On Aug 21, 2023
Op,your head dey there
Only topic of d YEAR.
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Focusmind: 1:55pm On Aug 21, 2023
Scam wey don cast tey tey!!! Na people wey never know still dey fall mugu for that scam

My kids are here playing their hearts out; learning how to write the best of letters. poems and readings - these are the added skills I want them to develop. Not to go to school environment and starts learning the usual subjects and being taught by the same set of teachers; Here, they are learning all the house chores, washing their plates, loading their clothes in the washing machine, getting extremely comfortable with the use of computers for productive activities and running errands for me and their mum that involves collection of change after buying things - sounds funny grin grin grin - they are getting used to money and the change system - not the one taught them in school. My 8 year son, before he goes out to buy something for me, he would do his mathematics well to determine what the change would be grin grin - I will send him on errand that will warrant him to buy multiple things with cash and be able to pay and come back with the correct change. else, he would repeat the errand.

Schools no go see my leg with them during the summer holiday.

1 Like

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Jewessgratitud3: 1:57pm On Aug 21, 2023
Mindlog:

Is a qualified teacher not trained to " go through trying to revive through thorough revisions and intensive tutoring"?

Holiday lessons is not of the benefit of the child but for the benefit of the parents, schools and teachers.

Of course they are trained but everyone has a limit to what they can do. Just like the wards, we too need to breath!!! Besides what teachers are earning is not commensurate to the work they are doing. They're doing so much for very little and instead of the parents to help in reducing the stress and workload, they leave the bulk of the work to the teachers and still expect results.nnow they want to further dampen their brains with what I don't know.

It's not like they'll be bombarded with so much work/lessons like during school session. Summer classes are not as stressful so I don't see the need for this fuss.
They don't resume early and they close before normal school closing hours. They don't go on Fridays.

Please they are children and should not waste their their formative years playing away. They still have weekends to play.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by somehow: 2:02pm On Aug 21, 2023
Maybe because most parents are slaves to money, meaning they spend almost all their productive days of the week at work with no time for family.

Almost everyone is facing one direction without time to think of life in other dimensions.

It's not about working from 8am to 6pm but the result. Get the right skills and you wouldn't need to spend all day at work to earn peanuts.

Thank God for knowledge and technology, I don't play with my family.

What is the purpose of making money if your family and children is abandoned in the process?

When you can't bond with them now that they are young, you think there's going to be unity when they become adults?

Be sowing distance and be expecting together.

Keep dumping them in various schools allowing outsiders train them for you

Your evening is waiting for you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by biyams(m): 2:04pm On Aug 21, 2023
honestly speaking these young ones are learning one domain of learning which is the cognitive learning style, they have very less or sub zero experience of the affective and psychomotor domains of learning. and sadly some of them that don't belong to the cognitive style find it hard to cope/catch up with their fellow mates, instead of fixing them where they belong to they're considered "dull".. the schools then make it mandatory for such kids to attend extra moral lessons meanwhile, this kids will outperform their classmates in their respective niche(affective or psychomotor). in holidays like this it will be very good for schools to engage those kids in other learning styles instead of the regular teach and read on your own patterns....there are still good schools out there for such
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by tnerro1(m): 2:08pm On Aug 21, 2023
Bless you op
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by lexy2014: 2:09pm On Aug 21, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

But 20th century parents didn't necessarily send their kids to holiday lesson before they could read and write

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Aau Ekpoma 2015/2016 Admission Thread / Animal Newborns, What They Look Like(Photos) / Stephanie Idolor Gets N2M From Prophet Jeremiah Fufeyin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.