Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,433 members, 7,819,560 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:14 PM

The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days (49455 Views)

Police Arrest Grandmother For Locking Up Her 3 Grandchildren In Lagos / Living With The Guilt Of Abortion / Woman Wakes Her Husband Up With N500k On His Birthday (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by Nobody: 5:49pm On Aug 22, 2023
I see some ladies claiming law, they are right but in marriage, African marriage has law ever been used to settle right? No. Law comes in when thing has gone sour and beyond redemption. Op arresting her husband simply put a nail to the coffin. In Nigeria where police station is viewed as a thing of shame and a home for criminals grin. Op carry her husband go there go chilax and she wants everything to go back to normal. Lol please be realistic! Even the Oyinbo people in developed countries we are emulating go through counseling and therapy before carrying themselves to court. You want to jump procedure and except good results. We are Africans, until we get to a stage where sleeping in cell means the same as being in a correctional facility please think twice before you arrest your partner. It's the reason our mothers hardly report social issues like child rape because they know doing that means it is over (I'm not supporting it just stating a cause)

Op clearly did not prepare herself for the outcome of her actions. She has done it and apologized for it but I'd advice she watches her back. A man who destroys his wife properties acts on contempt and jealousy such man with a bruised ego is dangerous. I will suggest Op threads with caution and watch her back. If I may, I will suggest separation.

Am I saying this marriage is gone? I'm not God. Miracle no dey tire Jesus.

28 Likes

Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by Damilolly(f): 5:49pm On Aug 22, 2023
OP, when he was beating you, you should have just taken the beaten and hoped for the best.

At least he didn't kill you. If he'd killed you and then is sentenced to prison for life the children would've been left to be orphans.

You've made that difficult now cos he knows you'll call the police if he turns violent again so his plan is scuttled. So what is he to do??

You've chosen you and your children's safety and maintaining law and order in the society over allowing him test how good a punching bag you are. Maybe disconnect the phone and ask him to re-do the exercise.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by emmeyen: 5:53pm On Aug 22, 2023
For every man that decided to attack a scared woman who probably did the only thing she thought was right after being beaten and humiliated by a drunk man, you people are simply mad! As in raving mad! May the likes of OP's husband befall your siblings or daughters. If you don't have money as a man, have good character. You cannot lack both and be shouting bruised ego. God punish that ego that will make you raise your hand on an hardworking woman who decided to take up the responsibilities of the home. And it's because she is doing it well, that's why he has the guts to go and drink. Nobody is advising that woman to run from the monster her husband has become till he is back to his senses. The he-goats are busy claiming she denied him sex. When he comes back smelling like a hippo after drinking, what is she supposed to do? Take her bath and lie down for him to climb?

Madam! Do you have male relatives? Put them in the know of who your husband has become, let them come and warn him not to raise his hands on you again. And be on the look out, if he doesn't change, biko carry your things and leave before he kills you and start blaming the devil. Stop feeling guilty. Else he will capitalise on that guilt and bring more drama. If he has ego, he should go and work! even if na to carry blocks for head. Real men work to provide for their family. Not going about sulking and beating their wives.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by Oblongata: 5:56pm On Aug 22, 2023
UnfairLife7:
what is there again sir? You said she has lost her hubby isn't it? And i am telling you Op hubby lost his precious wife instead. A woman who fed him for 2 years without his penny. You still have the efrontry to destroy properties in the house and hit his wife. What do you expect the woman to do please? Allow him disfigure her face like you lots do to an average Naija woman?

Are you married sir? Just a polite yes or no would do

1 Like

Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by darealez(m): 5:57pm On Aug 22, 2023
Samantha124:
What is unlawful is unlawful, it doesn't matter whether you're married or not.

I once got my sister arrested for laying her hands on me because I told her the bitter truth.

And I didn't do it because I hated her or something like that, I don't believe in using violence to solve minor issues... In fact, I hate unnecessary violence.. She later acknowledged her mistakes and apologized to me and we're now good sisters.

The husband also needs to acknowledge his mistakes and apologise to his wife, he should also help with house chores since the wife is the one going out there and bringing in money into the house so as to cover his shame.

Some women would've left him long time ago, but this woman stood by him for the past two years and even now she's still standing by his side.
at this point I'm not just curious about if you're married, how long?

1 Like

Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by greatiyk4u(m): 5:58pm On Aug 22, 2023
Samantha124:
I'm sorry to say this, but your husband is childish.

If he was my husband and he starts emotionally blackmailing me like that by refusing to leave those police cells... I was going to leave him there until the police kick him out, or until he decides to leave.

As long as I'd have apologized to him and explained the reason why I got him arrested, I'd have left him there with his childish tantrums.

Maybe it's because I don't tolerate nonsense.

This is harsh and discouraging
The only reason she humiliated him with the arrest is because of his broken nature, nothing more.
While I don't encourage violence, I strong believe her response and attitude to his request for food must have triggered that.....a hungry broke man is an angry depressed man.

The singular decision to arrest him is a practical red flag sign of end of the marriage.....if she cannot tolerate and forgive his violence towards her while using other avenues to resolve it why do you think the man will tolerate and forgive police arrest humiliation from his once loving and caring wife?

Her action may be legally right but definitely culturally wrong since the story portrays it was the 1st time he acted the way HE did.

4 Likes

Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by Ensa777(f): 5:58pm On Aug 22, 2023
Dogalmighty17:
You arrested and lucked up your husband for 2 days? No one is dumb here ma. No right thinking woman just suddenly locks up her husband. Was there food in the kitchen for him when he came home? Did you cook for yourself and just the children?

There are other crises resolution and mediation channels available to resolve issues within spouses. Did you explore any of them?

You most probably had nurtured this thought of locking your husband up for a while. You also most probably have mocked him in your actions and your words.

Madam, you don buy market o! I assure you of this, your husband will never forgive you. The day that man gets a job and finds his feet you will be the one begging for divorce.

I am not making excuses for him. Your husband is going through serious depression. No man wants to not be able to provide for his family. The present economy doesn't help at all. You could have handled the situation better.

What if he had killed her?you think she too isn't depressed.You think she's taking her duty and her man's primary duty happily?

Madam,stop apologizing and ignore him.What you did was to send a message to his drunken head.He won't try it next time.
Whereas other men will seek solution to their joblessness,he's here compounding the problem.
Buru ogbenye buru amusu grin

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by darealez(m): 6:00pm On Aug 22, 2023
Persephone1:
I see some ladies claiming law, they are right but in marriage, African marriage has law ever been used to settle right? No. Law comes in when thing has gone sour and beyond redemption. Op arresting her husband simply put a nail to the coffin. In Nigeria where police station is viewed as a thing of shame and a home for criminals grin. Op carry her husband go there go chilax and she wants everything to go back to normal. Lol please be realistic! Even the Oyinbo people in developed countries we are emulating go through counseling and therapy before carrying themselves to court. You want to jump procedure and except good results. We are Africans, until we get to a stage where sleeping in cell means the same as being in a correctional facility please think twice before you arrest your partner. It's the reason our mothers hardly report social issues like child rape because they know doing that means it is over (I'm not supporting it just stating a cause)

Op clearly did not prepare herself for the outcome of her actions. She has done it and apologized for it but I'd advice she watches her back. A man who destroys his wife properties acts on contempt and jealousy such man with a bruised ego is dangerous. I will suggest Op threads with caution and watch her back. If I may, I will suggest separation.

Am I saying this marriage is gone? I'm not God. Miracle no dey tire Jesus.
Not too many people understand the many sacrifices people have had to undergo for the sake of their home.

Was he right for beating her? No, he was very wrong.. I don't seek to defend him.

Let me just adopt the miracle song and rest...

1 Like

Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by Nobody: 6:02pm On Aug 22, 2023
greatiyk4u:

You are reasonable
Mature
Wise and intelligent
Nice submission
Lol I understand how Nigerian marriages works, I understand how infallible Nigerian men are in a Nigerian society. It's the reason I don't pray to end up with one. grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by Nobody: 6:03pm On Aug 22, 2023
And I said it doesn't matter.
darealez:
at this point I'm not just curious about if you're married, how long?
Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by darealez(m): 6:03pm On Aug 22, 2023
Kobojunkie:
There is nothing Christian about any of what OP reveals she has been dealing with though so why suggest you forego a professional counselor for a supposedly "Christian" one? undecided
There are many wisdom that appear as foolishness to one who's not a Christian. My counselor is a professional but you must be ready obey BIBLICAL references to marriage regardless of how tough they might be.

1 Like

Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by Kobojunkie: 6:04pm On Aug 22, 2023
Damilolly:
OP, when he was beating you, you should have just taken the beaten and hoped for the best. At least he didn't kill you. If he'd killed you and then is sentenced to prison for life the children would've been left to be orphans. You've made that difficult now cos he knows you'll call the police if he turns violent again so his plan is scuttled. So what is he to do??
You've chosen you and your children's safety and maintaining law and order in the society over allowing him test how good a punching bag you are. Maybe disconnect the phone and ask him to re-do the exercise.
And there is no way this is ever a wrong choice, no matter what kind of marriage or culture one claims to subscribe to. undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by wunmi590(m): 6:05pm On Aug 22, 2023

Aunty, I'm a man, I've no pity for your husband, he has lost his job for 2years, and he still has money to smoke and drink around, without supporting you..

That's unwise and selfish of him, and untop of that, he still beats you, because of what, he needs to stay there for 1 full month...

This present time is when he should be useful to you when he has no job, knowing fully well that you tried your best to cater for the family....

Please pick him up again and send him to police 🚔 cell for the second time...

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by Osobi32(m): 6:05pm On Aug 22, 2023
Dogalmighty17:
You arrested and lucked up your husband for 2 days? No one is dumb here ma. No right thinking woman just suddenly locks up her husband. Was there food in the kitchen for him when he came home? Did you cook for yourself and just the children?

There are other crises resolution and mediation channels available to resolve issues within spouses. Did you explore any of them?

You most probably had nurtured this thought of locking your husband up for a while. You also most probably have mocked him in your actions and your words.

Madam, you don buy market o! I assure you of this, your husband will never forgive you. The day that man gets a job and finds his feet you will be the one begging for divorce.

I am not making excuses for him. Your husband is going through serious depression. No man wants to not be able to provide for his family. The present economy doesn't help at all. You could have handled the situation better.
well stated... She don buy serious market.
Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by Kobojunkie: 6:05pm On Aug 22, 2023
darealez:
There are many wisdom that appear as foolishness to one who's not a Christian. My counselor is a professional but you must be ready obey BIBLICAL references to marriage regardless of how tough they might be.
This response of yours makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me. Again, There is nothing Christian about any of what OP reveals she has been dealing with though so why suggest you forego a professional counselor for a supposedly "Christian" one? undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by greatiyk4u(m): 6:08pm On Aug 22, 2023
Persephone1:
Lol I understand how Nigerian marriages works, I understand how infallible Nigerian men are in a Nigerian society. It's the reason I don't pray to end up with one. grin

Better do
You won't regret it, they are very flexible and submissive in the house, the ego and pride is mostly displayed outside to feel among......

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by darealez(m): 6:09pm On Aug 22, 2023
Samantha124:
And I said it doesn't matter.
...surprisingly, it does. In fact, I'm tempted to ask if your parent had a divorce and also if you had thorny childhood experiences.

If you're married, your husband already deserves an award. If you're not.., he would deserve an award.

There's no reason to trade words, I'll be back to ask again in a couple of years.

Reference**

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by darealez(m): 6:10pm On Aug 22, 2023
Kobojunkie:
This response of yours makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me. Again, There is nothing Christian about any of what OP reveals she has been dealing with though so why suggest you forego a professional counselor for a supposedly "Christian" one? undecided
Exactly! It cannot make sense to you.

3 Likes

Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by Kobojunkie: 6:12pm On Aug 22, 2023
darealez:
Exactly! It cannot make sense to you.
Of course gibberish makes no sense. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by Nobody: 6:14pm On Aug 22, 2023
He humiliated himself by not helping his wife around with house chores since he's not working.

His wife has to go to work every day so that bills can be paid and she still has to take care of the kids after picking them from school... On top of that you still expect her to cook for a childish man that's wasting the little money his wife has been giving him so that he doesn't have to feel less of a man.

What was the man doing throughout the day when his wife was at work? Why didn't he cook? Do you think his wife is also not depressed from tolerating a childish man that's just spending the money she gives him on alcohol?

Respect is earned.
greatiyk4u:

This is harsh and discouraging
The only reason she humiliated him with the arrest is because of his broken nature, nothing more.
While I don't encourage violence, I strong believe her response and attitude to his request for food must have triggered that.....a hungry broke man is an angry depressed man.

The singular decision to arrest him is a practical red flag sign of end of the marriage.....if she cannot tolerate and forgive his violence towards her while using other avenues to resolve it why do you think the man will tolerate and forgive police arrest humiliation from his once loving and caring wife?

Her action may be legally right but definitely culturally wrong since the story portrays it was the 1st time he acted the way HE did.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by darealez(m): 6:14pm On Aug 22, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Of course gibberish makes no sense. undecided
Exactly the point.

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

4 Likes

Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by Nobody: 6:16pm On Aug 22, 2023
darealez:
Not too many people understand the many sacrifices people have had to undergo for the sake of their home.

Was he right for beating her? No, he was very wrong.. I don't seek to defend him.

Let me just adopt the miracle song and rest...
Women really do not have it easy in Nigerian marriages. They have to prioritize their marriages over their values, truths ,identities etc. It's just too much and when a woman ends up with a bad man? Hell!
What op is going through now is "Justice versus Culture" believe me it can be really crazy.

It hurts me that a virtuous woman whohad tried all to make her marriage work has to lose it all because she decided to stand up for herself in the right way.

Of course what her husband did was bad, if he were to be just an ordinary man out there or that she is no longer interested in the marriage, I'd be rooting for her. But she still wants the marriage, that's where the issue is. Pulling the stunt she pulled is one of the 1000 ways to end a marriage in Nigeria. I hope and pray her husband has a change of heart.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by ExudeLoveToAll: 6:16pm On Aug 22, 2023
Samantha124:
I'm sorry to say this, but your husband is childish.

If he was my husband and he starts emotionally blackmailing me like that by refusing to leave those police cells... I was going to leave him there until the police kick him out, or until he decides to leave.

As long as I'd have apologized to him and explained the reason why I got him arrested, I'd have left him there with his childish tantrums.

Maybe it's because I don't tolerate nonsense.

It's good not to tolerate nonsense, please don't go into marriage if you won't tolerate nonsense.. Be ready for divorce in 3months

5 Likes

Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by Nobody: 6:20pm On Aug 22, 2023
greatiyk4u:

Better do
You won't regret it, they are very flexible and submissive in the house, the ego and pride is mostly displayed outside to feel among......
You are mistaken to think I'm not a Nigerian so I don't know what or who Nigerian men are in their homes grin grin
Please do not be deceived by my sobriquet. grin

3 Likes

Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by Kobojunkie: 6:20pm On Aug 22, 2023
darealez:
Exactly the point. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
You religious folks and your blind quoting of scripture. The verse you quoted instead posits that the Natural man — not born-again cannot perceive the Spirit of God since He is not born of Spirit aka possessed by the Spirit of Eternal Life - John 3 vs 5 -8. It makes sense then that one who is not born of the Spirit of Eternal Life cannot fathom that which the Spirit of Eternal Life reveals to those who He possesses. undecided

Now go back to the topic at hand. Nothing of what OP said or revealed has anything to do with the Kingdom of God or Jesus Christ who instead told you that your marriages are of this world and not of the Kingdom of God - Luke 20 vs 34-36 - a reiteration of God's stance on marriage from Genesis 3 vs 16 where He judged and condemned it as being of the world of men. So, why do you think it makes sense to attempt to spin a Christian angle to this case? undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by Nobody: 6:21pm On Aug 22, 2023
My parents are not divorced and I had an amazing childhood... smiley smiley smiley

My father is a responsible man and he never broke my mother's dishes or layed his hands on her... So I wouldn't tolerate such behavior from a man because I was raised by a good man.
darealez:
...surprisingly, it does. In fact, I'm tempted to ask if your parent had a divorce and also if you had thorny childhood experiences.

If you're married, your husband already deserves an award. If you're not.., he would deserve an award.

There's no reason to trade words, I'll be back to ask again in a couple of years.

Reference**

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by Apus: 6:22pm On Aug 22, 2023
If this woman had endured the beating; suffering silently and probably lost her life, na these same people go condemn her for staying in an abusive relationship.

Madam as a man, I say you have tried and you have done well trying to amend things with him. If he is matured enough, he should have understood you acted out of safety concerns for you and your children.

You no get money Kon still dey irresponsible... Nonsense!

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by Nobody: 6:22pm On Aug 22, 2023
Fortunately, not all men are childish like you.

It's not my fault that you lack family training.
ExudeLoveToAll:

It's good not to tolerate nonsense, please don't go into marriage if you won't tolerate nonsense.. Be ready for divorce in 3months

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by greatiyk4u(m): 6:23pm On Aug 22, 2023
Persephone1:
You are mistaken to think I'm not a Nigerian so I don't know what or who Nigerian men are in their homes grin grin
Please do not be deceived by my sobriquet. grin

Noted
Though world is a global village
Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by Nobody: 6:24pm On Aug 22, 2023
greatiyk4u:

Noted
Though world is a global village
Yes with unequal share of humanity and reverence for lives. grin
Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by darealez(m): 6:27pm On Aug 22, 2023
Samantha124:
My parents are not divorced and I had an amazing childhood... smiley smiley smiley

My father is a responsible man and he never broke my mother's dishes or layed his hands on her... So I wouldn't tolerate such behavior from a man because I was raised by a good man.
Lastborn will always be lastborn. Keep rocking!

1 Like

Re: The Guilt Of Locking My Husband Up For Two Days by UnfairLife7(m): 6:30pm On Aug 22, 2023
ExudeLoveToAll:

you think all men reason like you or act childishly? You think the fact that Op hubby is irresponsible then that makes all Nigerian men same?

You're very funny grin

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (39) (Reply)

Which Is The Happiest Day In A Woman's Life? / Bank Manager Impregnates Mother, Daughter In Delta / Una Wey Una Mama No Born Plenty Pikin No Know Wetin God Do For Una.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.