Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,157 members, 7,815,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:34 AM

Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke (2242 Views)

Why Programmers Are Single / Nigerian Programmers Are Great / Webmasters And Programmers Are Needed Here For This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by dokibo: 9:48am On Aug 24, 2023
I'v never seen a rich programmer in Nigeria. Apart from hearsay...

How many have u met?
Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by Eidris01(m): 10:04am On Aug 24, 2023
They don't make noise
Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by qtguru(m): 10:04am On Aug 24, 2023
dokibo:

How many have u met?

Maybe you should change environment.

11 Likes

Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by preciouswoman66(m): 10:33am On Aug 24, 2023
dokibo:

How many have u met?

Just because someone is a programmer doesn't mean he/she must be rich. It's just a job like every other jobs like plumbing, pastor work, bank jobs, Uber drivers, etc. In the end of the month you get your paycheck

So why have such mindset that every programmer you must see has to be rich? Do you have such mindset when you see pastors, bankers, plumbers, politicians, real estate agents, etc??

No go put some people for unnecessary rat race. Abi you think say na yahoo yahoo be programming?

Some kind people go just de use yahoo boy eye dey look programmers grin grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by DyingFetus: 10:44am On Aug 24, 2023
There are naija programmers that're low-key rich especially all these mid - senior devs

Check the lives of most senior devs
Their kids goes to expensive top notch schools
Their wives and girlfriends wear the most expensive

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 10:46am On Aug 24, 2023
Senior Devs programmers are rich. It will take you about 8-10 years to get to that level.
Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by qtguru(m): 10:52am On Aug 24, 2023
UyaiIncomparabl:
Senior Devs programmers are rich. It will take you about 8-10 years to get to that level.

Junior Devs too, it's about maximizing your values. Most junior dev don't do real world projects, they do bootcamp work.

2 Likes

Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 11:07am On Aug 24, 2023
qtguru:

Junior Devs too, it's about maximizing your values. Most junior dev don't do real world projects, they do boot camp work.

I think freelance pays better than onsite jobs esp here in Nigeria where tech guys are grossly underpaid.
Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by dokibo: 11:29am On Aug 24, 2023
UyaiIncomparabl:

I think freelance pays better than onsite jobs esp here in Nigeria where tech guys are grossly underpaid.

Is that what you are using to feed your family daily? or the same hearsay
Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by dokibo: 11:34am On Aug 24, 2023
Eidris01:
They don't make noise

Don't be decieved, most of them are only IT trainers cos they are broke. None of their products are in the commercial market fetching them money on a daily basis.
Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by dokibo: 11:35am On Aug 24, 2023
UyaiIncomparabl:

How many years experience do you have in programming?
Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 11:57am On Aug 24, 2023
dokibo:

How many years experience do you have in programming?

I'm not a programmer. But, I have friends who are Devs.
Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 12:41pm On Aug 24, 2023
dokibo:

Is that what you are using to feed your family daily? or the same hearsay

Are you a programmer?
Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by DyingFetus: 1:09pm On Aug 24, 2023
UyaiIncomparabl:

Freelance sucks way more

Onsite pays more

You no fit compare front end developer for Cowrywise and front end developer for upwork

1 Like

Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by qtguru(m): 1:41pm On Aug 24, 2023
DyingFetus:

Freelance sucks way more

Onsite pays more

You no fit compare front end developer for Cowrywise and front end developer for upwork

You think Upwork doesn't pay well ?

1 Like

Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by airsaylongcome: 1:42pm On Aug 24, 2023
DyingFetus:

Freelance sucks way more

Onsite pays more

Not if the Upwork front end dev knows what they are doing. I'm not a dev but I've gotten some Upwork gigs in my field where I earned more in a week than what I earn in my regular job. Okay, yes I've had some experience and leverage on some of the stools and stuff I learned at work. But if you know what you are doing, Upwork can be very rich pickings

2 Likes

Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by qtguru(m): 1:55pm On Aug 24, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Not if the Upwork front end dev knows what they are doing. I'm not a dev but I've gotten some Upwork gigs in my field where I earned more in a week than what I earn in my regular job. Okay, yes I've had some experience and leverage on some of the stools and stuff I learned at work. But if you know what you are doing, Upwork can be very rich pickings

It's rich picking, I got a client and this US guys have money but not interested in doing the work

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by KrazyDave16(m): 2:05pm On Aug 24, 2023
This post is akin to saying why there aren't rich plumbers, Uber drivers, e.t.c.
There are, and it's not hearsay. I've seen and talked to some (one's working for my old man on one of his houses).

For the programmers, there are, know of one while I was in Lagos years back.
Unless your definition of rich for them is one who's earning 100M+ annually
Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by richebony: 2:19pm On Aug 24, 2023
omor! people dey talk oh
Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by Xinjin: 3:21pm On Aug 24, 2023
airsaylongcome:

It pure luck, atleast in 2023. There are people who equally known what they are doing. If you now live in a third world, just known you maybe ranked at the bottom. Not to talk about clients that will frustrate you. Overall it not all by your abilities.
Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by qtguru(m): 3:25pm On Aug 24, 2023
Xinjin:
It pure luck, atleast in 2023. There are people who equally known what they are doing. If you now live in a third world, just known you maybe ranked at the bottom. Not to talk about clients that will frustrate you. Overall it not all by your abilities.

It's work and consistency, and research, I use Upwork full time and i have 3 clients that are permanent.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by Xinjin: 3:37pm On Aug 24, 2023
qtguru:

It's work and consistency, and research, I use Upwork full time and i have 3 clients that are permanent.
That's it, you have been there for long and build a network, Even at that I believe it not all sweet experiences. Now imagine with all your portfolio, you're new on the platform and just applying to those 3 jobs.
Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by airsaylongcome: 4:06pm On Aug 24, 2023
qtguru:

A huge ton of research! And while it can be gruelling doing the research the payoff is worth it when the time comes. Last week I rolled out an SMS solution for an Upwork client. And it wasn't like I was skilled in SMS. I had stumbled across PlaySMS, Kannel and Jasmin (all open source SMS solution). Customer had a 64-SIM modem which I had never worked with. I pulled out my Raspberry pi, deployed Gammu (a USB modem driver) and playSMS. Two hours later I was able to to convince the client. 4 hours later project was live. Now I have a somewhat long term contract to support the setup. It's hard work initially. But when you get it right, UW can be rewarding. I understand the other poster's sentiment about the suffer to get jobs coming from Nigeria

5 Likes

Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by airsaylongcome: 4:08pm On Aug 24, 2023
Xinjin:

I don't know if I agree that it's luck. It's a lot of persistence and hardwork. And yeah I spent my own money buying connects initially. But now, I get one or two invites weekly.

1 Like

Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by Xinjin: 5:29pm On Aug 24, 2023
airsaylongcome:

I don't know if I agree that it's luck. It's a lot of persistence and hardwork. And yeah I spent my own money buying connects initially. But now, I get one or two invites weekly.
Well you're the fish inside water now. You seems to be having it good with the serious clients. Atleast you pay and get hired, you didn't go unnoticed or caught up in a tight corner with clients.

All I'm saying is, been successful in freelancing doesn't solely depend on abilities. while you can get contracts easily, all may not go well, you could get exploited.

The whole freelancing thing is a twist path. Alot just follow their nose in the direction the think is safer.

2 Likes

Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by Alphabyte2: 8:17pm On Aug 24, 2023
If your skill is well seasoned you won't be broke Hard work pays
Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by dauntless15(m): 2:20pm On Aug 25, 2023
qtguru:

hello, pls I need you to mentor me, I'm willing to learn, pls reply me.
Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by qtguru(m): 2:47pm On Aug 25, 2023
dauntless15:
hello, pls I need you to mentor me, I'm willing to learn, pls reply me.

My hands are full, however I can share resources with you.
Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by dauntless15(m): 2:54pm On Aug 25, 2023
qtguru:

My hands are full, however I can share resources with you.
Boss I can wait, sharing resources with me won't change my situation sir, I've spent a lot of time downloading stuff all over the internet and watching endless vids on YouTube, non of this things are practical because if it was I'd have gotten even a single client, I dedicated so much time buying courses and all, and I realized that the one thing I'm missing is a mentor, pls don't let my efforts goto waste, I'd offer to pay you but what will my money do for you that you can't already do for yourself, I'm humble and ready to learn pls help me.
Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by Puremark(m): 3:08pm On Aug 25, 2023
Pls share resource with me I wan learn more.qtguru. pls
Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by qtguru(m): 3:18pm On Aug 25, 2023
dauntless15:
Boss I can wait, sharing resources with me won't change my situation sir, I've spent a lot of time downloading stuff all over the internet and watching endless vids on YouTube, non of this things are practical because if it was I'd have gotten even a single client, I dedicated so much time buying courses and all, and I realized that the one thing I'm missing is a mentor, pls don't let my efforts goto waste, I'd offer to pay you but what will my money do for you that you can't already do for yourself, I'm humble and ready to learn pls help me.

What is your niche ?
Re: Why Most Of 9ja Programmers Are Broke by chim14(m): 4:22pm On Aug 25, 2023
Omo I love this post. The truth is, it's not easy to freelance in naija, hunger will beat you. People will take advantage of you, regardless of what you know or how good you are.

Except:
Number 1
You are working full-time for a company that pays well. I bash & curse naija tech companies alot cuz there are a lot that still pay 40k & 50k salary, but I know a few real ones that pay their developers well, they exist. Note, the highest salary or ceiling is 1M dats N1,000,000 or N1,500,000 naira for naija, qoute me if am wrong.

Number 2
Except you have strong contacts in high places to funnel good paying projects to you. E.g you know one big man with connections and he or she link you up to local gigs that are worth ur while. This one no be those useless gigs you see here on nairaland o.

Number 3
Except you work remotely for a foreign company. If you are lucky to land that gig, you're set.

Bottom Line
The Naija Programmers Or Developers that are making money and not broke are silent. They don't make noise cuz work won kill dem, dey don't have time to even enjoy the money that's the truth. If you see dem, you won't even know cuz dey don't have time to barb their hair or shave their beard....lol

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

7 Useful Functions To Tighten The Security In Php / --theory: Geeks, Computer Hobbyists And Programmers Hardly Gets The Girl Quick? / Data Science

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.