Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,736 members, 7,955,803 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 03:26 PM

Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. (4976 Views)

Dangote Trailer Hits Built-up Area In Owode / How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo / Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by henry007(m): 2:43am On Sep 12, 2007
but u see i'm into modellin and not cars
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by ssRhino: 2:44am On Sep 12, 2007
so u be model?
what kinda modelling are you into, fashion, products or what, which coy do you work for?
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by henry007(m): 2:53am On Sep 12, 2007
sorry im not a model, but i want 2 become 1, part time since i know its a boring job
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by ssRhino: 2:55am On Sep 12, 2007
my guy na wa for you oh, how could u say modelling is a boring job, seems like u dont know what it takes, it is not just a pretty face and connection, u shuold be able to keep the body fit, and seems like u dont know how hard it is to do that, cos u need to make it happen at the gym and not just eating anyhow, my guy, look more into it, but if you ave what it takes, give it a try, never kill ur dream my guy.
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by henry007(m): 3:12am On Sep 12, 2007
its not my dream .,.,.,.,atall
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by Nobody: 7:17am On Sep 12, 2007
Henry, you ok? Sounds like you're on a downer, or something. undecided
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by sultaan(m): 7:27am On Sep 12, 2007
Cars don't come better than this C6

Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by sultaan(m): 7:36am On Sep 12, 2007
or this

Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by jericho: 7:45am On Sep 12, 2007
I am of the opinion that uk built cars have more toys.

I just got this 1997 rover 623 Si and reallly in love with it. I had the option of a 1997 bulldog. In comparison, the rover beats the bulldog hands down. The rover comes equipped with all round leather interior including the steering, 16" alloys, 10 Cd loader, ABS, Power steering, power moonroof, power windows, SRS, factory Ac and 2.3 litre 16v Inline 4 cylinder engine built by honda  coolthat does an average of 32km/gallon (i actually calculated this in lekki traffic everyday) in traffic and around 40km/gallon on the express (lagos to ibadan). it also has a sports mode that increases the rev on the expressway. It's acceleration is breath taking and speed is something else.

Mean while the bulldog is just there. interior is upholstery (boring) cryengine is a 2.2 litre VTEC acceleration  cry, interior space  cry.

A friend of mine and i are actually taking both cars for a race this weekend to epe just for trips.

will gist u on the outcome.

jericho
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by Nobody: 7:58am On Sep 12, 2007
In terms of optional extras, virtually all cars come "loaded" these days, even cheaper cars from Eastern Europe are very well spec'd.

Sure, Japanese cars in the US may be ok, but, being built for the Americans by Americans, most folk find their suspension / spring rates way too soft for enthusiastic driving. Every Japanese car built in the US I've hired, have had an alarming amount of body roll, and don't inspire confidence around corners.

It's great for aftermarket sales though, I do a roaring trade in accessories exported to the States.
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by Ivvie: 10:14pm On Sep 14, 2007
|
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by promise72(m): 5:30am On Sep 15, 2007
For all ive read in this section, its seems that some people are tryn to compare apples/oranges. THERE IS NO BETTER BARGAIN for performance. Let me repeat: In terms of performance, Dollar for Dollar ITS AMERICAN all the way. You can pick up a Corvette or GT 500 Mustang for around $50,000. These cars comes stock with about 500HP. Modify 'em and you are a speed demon.
Dont forget the Dodge Viper too. Name any Foreign car with that type of power in that price range!

Also, you guys have to remember that America is HUGE!. Bringing cars here, you will have to consider the Sunny Calif., Arizona, Texas and also keep in mind snow regions. So your car have to come prepared. You cannot make cars without A/C like they do in Europe.

A Sienna,
Comparing the speed limit/capacity of Audi of European/US is telling half the story. I'm sure you know your cars however remember that US cars are just "electronically Limited" Replace the chip and yank off the catalytic converter (at least until the next emmission test). You are in Business.

You cannot find a Mercedes here with manual windows even the old one mostly are powered. Sunroof, leather/leatherette etc.

You can dog the US all u want. Have u ever heard of any country that DEMANDS its own spec and make manufacturer comply. This goes waaaaayyyyyyy back. US is a more mature market. It is what it is. I would not want to be caught dead in an European spec vehicle. EVER! F#CK No!
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by Nobody: 9:01am On Sep 15, 2007
Promise, I respect your opinion.

In some cases, it IS a case or a re-map, and removal of catalysts, but bear in mind, modern catalysts do NOT restrict the speed at which the exhaust gasses exit the engine. On cars built in circa 1992, maybe. But do a power run on a dyno with a catalyst in place, and one with the catalyst removed on a post'92 car, and the results are the same.

In most cases, European / Japanese cars destined for the US have more than mere electronic limitations on performance / speed. Pistons ARE different, CR is much lower to cope with low octane fuel, cylinder head porting design is different. This will make the engine perform reasonably well, but efficiency is lost. The transmission ratios are also lower on Euro / Jap cars destined for the American market. This will obviously favour accelleration, but give a lower top speed.

Yes, the Dodge Viper IS a great car, and is cheaper than say, a Porsche 996 GT4. But you get what you pay for - the build quality of the Dodge is nowhere near the build quality of the Porsche! Interior trim, fit of panels etc is not comparable to the German car. Yes, 400 - 510 horsepower is produced from the Viper, but put up against the lighter Porsche with "only" 415 horsepower, it IS slower, a known fact.

Most American cars achieve high engine output from HUGE engines, to match their European / Japanese rivals.

Dodge Viper: V10, 8.3L, 510 horsepower Vs Porsche 911 GT2: Flat 6, 3.6L, 480 horsepower.

That gives the Porsche engine better volumetric efficiency over the Dodge unit. Bear in mind the Dodge Viper V10 was designed for a truck platform, and later refined for use in the Viper.

Cars destined for the US also have softer suspension, and do not like being pushed fast round corners, unless you want to make yourself or your passenger seasick!

As I previously said, virtually all cars these days, even from the poverty-spec versions from Russia, Ukraine and the rest of Eastern Europe are very well equipped, with electric windows and the rest of the toys.
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by promise72(m): 4:40pm On Sep 15, 2007
@ Sienna,

I hope not to turn this into a banter whatsoever. However, let me correct u on some "misinformation" or better still skewed info on your comparison of a viper and porshe. Porsche is a gem, no doubt. But what u failed to mention or left out is the fact that porsche is gettin its power from twin turbo while a viper is a naturally aspirited car.

A naturally aspirited 6cyl porshe will give only 325HP a bit less from what u will get on a 2008 G37 Infiniti for about half the price

Remember porsche has also been in existence for over 40 yrs compared to viper which came out in the 90's

Porsche is much lighter and cost about $40k more than a comparable viper (at least in the US). Thats enough money to to get a fully loaded 4-runner or better still get a tacoma truck and a corolla for the money saved undecided

So in recap:

Option 1: 1 Turbo porsche

Option 2: Viper + 4Runner

Option 3: Viper + Tacoma + Corolla

The choice is yours. America is about big and cheap horsepower for the common man. Guzzles gas? Yes! Durable? May be not Fast? Hell ya!
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by CHANCEMAN: 6:27am On Sep 16, 2007
RHINO

I believe you are wrong about foriegn manufactured in the U.S.A. thetop modelsof lexus are made in Japan for your information likewise BMW'S and Benzas in Germany
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by CHANCEMAN: 6:44am On Sep 16, 2007
PROMISE72

big is not always beautiful we are talking of cars here and your are bringing in trucks
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by sultaan(m): 7:06am On Sep 16, 2007
I will take a Z06 and a Mustang GT for the price of your Porsche.
Te difference in finish is not worth a GT to me
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by Ivvie: 7:42pm On Sep 21, 2007
|
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by sultaan(m): 6:21am On Sep 22, 2007
You are talking about a 2000Ib car and a 3500 Ib in a closed circuit, why not on highway.
US has a big interstate system so they make caes to run straight and fast. If you've never driven a caddy,lincoln, or buick then I'll assume it heresay. Drive a mustang GT and and E car of equal value and you'll change you mind.I will take the CTS over BMW 3 anytime.
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by Jakumo(m): 3:10pm On Sep 22, 2007
Siena that comparison you made between UK and US cars is one of the most informative and concise I have seen anywhere, and I have saved it for future reference.

Before now, I'd always assumed that US spec cars had the performance and horsepower edge over identical European spec cars, but then I'd forgotten how much all that extra smog plumbing in the American models degrades the power curve.
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by Ivvie: 4:36pm On Sep 22, 2007
|
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by Ralvy(m): 4:39pm On Sep 22, 2007
ofcoruse, American Built Cars Rule . . .

A 6 cylinder V-ass can be compared tu a 4 cylinder flat boot mercedes 230 and the flat boot still takes the lead . .

Thats not a question mayne , google it or sth tongue tongue tongue
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by Ivvie: 5:22pm On Sep 22, 2007
|
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by Ralvy(m): 1:26pm On Sep 23, 2007
Ivvie:

@Ralvy

W123 and W124 (V type trunk) are two different Mercedes with two different engine technology. W123's are slower because of it's mass. You cannot match an E320 with a 230E. The pluses of these benzes is that you can put a lot of weight on these vehicles and performance isn't compromised and throttle response still remains the same. You don't feel the weight on the throttle because it's nothing to the engine. You'll use more gas though. It's even better when you have those pneumatic suspension because it levels up. When the engine can handle the mass of the vehicle, there is no load you'll put that the engine cannot take down. W123 and 124 were over engineered and the 124s were the last Mercedes' built.

American built cars are apologies. People pay to buy bad cars. I call them dressed-up tractors

Sounds True . . . I think ur ryt Ivvie, Nice 1. .
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by sultaan(m): 5:56pm On Sep 23, 2007
Roush Mustang is a modified Mustang GT by Jack Roush. The V-series cadillacs are performance series.Performance engines have a short lifespan unlike daily drivers. You can't go at 6000rpm for too long.
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by Ivvie: 9:51pm On Sep 23, 2007
|
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by Ivvie: 10:03pm On Sep 23, 2007
|
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by sultaan(m): 6:13am On Sep 25, 2007
Mustang has the Roush, Saleen and SVT Cobra(factory) versions
BMW has Dinan, and M-series(factory)
Mercedes has AMG(factory)
Cadillacs has V- series
Chrysler Hennessey and SRT

European car are more common becasue they were distributed through colonies, Japanes were discovered due to reliability of Datsun and Toyota. The Japanese are getting stronger in sale, Mercedes is endangered, and once the CTS, IS, and TL (Caddy, Lexus Acura)get hold of 3-seris market, BMW is in trouble.
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by Ivvie: 7:07pm On Sep 25, 2007
|
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by poseidon12: 1:00pm On Feb 19, 2008
Thanks for all the useful info, guys.

Sienna, special thanks for mentioning the issue of SOFT SUSPENSION on American model of foreign cars. I brought down my Camry from USA. I love the car. But the major problem I have with driving it in Nigeria is the SOFT SUSPENSION. It's a pain trying to drive over the myriad bumps, and the big pot holes all over the country, especially Lagos. The soft suspension keeps it too low to the ground for the rough roads we have here.

Please what solution do you suggest? Should I change the 4 suspensions? Some people do what they call "packing" but i think it affects stability of the car.

Also, what do you think about using our leaded fuel on cars with catalytic converters. I had to remove my catalytic converter because I learnt that the lead in our fuel will block it and eventually lead the engine to backfire.
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by dpresident(m): 1:19pm On Feb 19, 2008
I disagree with Siena's analysis and whoever supports it.

AMERICAN CARS ARE SIMPLY BETTER THAN UK CARS.
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by sultaan(m): 5:05pm On Feb 19, 2008
poseidon12:

Thanks for all the useful info, guys.

Sienna, special thanks for mentioning the issue of SOFT SUSPENSION on American model of foreign cars. I brought down my Camry from USA. I love the car. But the major problem I have with driving it in Nigeria is the SOFT SUSPENSION. It's a pain trying to drive over the myriad bumps, and the big pot holes all over the country, especially Lagos. The soft suspension keeps it too low to the ground for the rough roads we have here.

Please what solution do you suggest? Should I change the 4 suspensions? Some people do what they call "packing" but i think it affects stability of the car.

Also, what do you think about using our leaded fuel on cars with catalytic converters. I had to remove my catalytic converter because I learnt that the lead in our fuel will block it and eventually lead the engine to backfire.

You need new shocks
Get stronger aftermarket shocks and it might work for a while, get stiffer springs and it will work for a longer time

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Car Scanning And Diagnostics. Fix that fault. / Nissan X Trail. / Hissing Sound Wen Steering My Car; What's Wrong

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.