Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,474 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:48 PM

Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. (4841 Views)

Dangote Trailer Hits Built-up Area In Owode / How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo / Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by Ivvie: 6:10pm On Feb 19, 2008
|
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by poseidon12: 3:57pm On Feb 25, 2008
sultaan:

You need new shocks
Get stronger aftermarket shocks and it might work for a while, get stiffer springs and it will work for a longer time

Thanks Sultaan,
I went to shop for shocks my 1992 camry but saw that there are two types. One had thicker coil springs. The guy in Ladipo said that for all specs (American or Japanese/European), the front shocks are same; but for the rear, the American specs come with thicker coil springs. Do you know if this is correct. How do i know a stiff spring as opposed to a soft one? Do you recommend new aftermarket shock or a used (tokumbo ie non-nigeria used) one?

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by Ivvie: 9:59pm On Feb 25, 2008
|
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by poseidon12: 11:01am On Feb 27, 2008
Ivvie:

There are two types for that chassis.  SE/V6 and 4 cyl specified . . .   Your best bet is to go with bilsteins.  They will outlast the vehicle and its laced with precised valving.  A set of 4 should cost you about $200.  They are called Bilstein Touring and its a lifetime warranty.  OEM is too expensive and isn't lifetime. 

I don't think it is a good idea for a used set of shocks.  You don't need springs (except your condition is extreme).  Springs are lifetime. 

Ivvie, Thanks very much for the information. I wonder if I can get Bilstein shocks here in Nigeria. I doubt. But I will check. My model is the 4 cylinder. Do the shocks come in different heights? I need to raise mine just a little bit to be able to drive on our horrible roads.
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by Ivvie: 1:49am On Feb 28, 2008
|
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by poseidon12: 7:14pm On Mar 05, 2008
Ivvie:

Never alter the height of your vehicle.  People on the other hand would recommend you drop the height of the vehicle (which in this case is what you are avoiding).  The good news for you is that Bilsteins will raise the height of your vehicle by about 1/2 an inch.  Don't worry about terrain surfaces, it's designed for all kinds for it as well.

When you ask for Bilstein, be sure to categorise it.  They are 4 in catgories.  The only version for your Toyota is the Touring Class-twin tube.  You need to get help for the part number (would start from tc*****).  I recommend to purchase it online and have it shipped.  It is free shipping via UPS and keep the receipt.  If anything goes wrong (wears out or becomes flat), you'd have it replaced.  They claim its engineered to outlive your vehicle.

It's the best value for your money.  Believe, ride quality and handling will change dramatically from the stock you have.  It might be best option to also change the spring seat and maybe strut mount if they look weak or bad.  The subframe should be replaced.

Go to the bilstein site.

Thanks very much Ivvie, for the useful information. That price of $200 is very attractive and much cheaper than what it costs to buy just the two front shocks from Toyota Nig. Ltd
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by vampire(m): 8:40pm On Mar 07, 2008
america
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by weyreypey: 9:06pm On Aug 09, 2018
gazzuzz gaz
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by akigbemaru: 2:59am On Aug 25, 2018
jericho:
Hi Guys,

I am a car freak and have had the opportunity of owning both UK and american built cars over the years.

Take for example there is the UK built honda accord 1997 (bullet) and the american built honda accord 1997 (bulldog).

I have noticed that most cars from UK come with manual gears and the ones from America come with Auto transmission. Now guys which one has better performance, design and interior? Also have you noticed that the cars from the UK are cheaper for the same model than their american counterparts.

Kindly post your views, experience and comments.

Thanks

Jericho.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Honda C-RV SUV Club / Another Day Another Honda Leg Issue / Changing Your Vehicle Spark Plugs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.