Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,014 members, 7,835,437 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:13 AM

Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move (2119 Views)

Why Peter Obi Lawyers Are Very Smart / Desmond Elliot: Social Media Played A Part In My Victory (Throwback Video) / The Nigerian Government Played A Fast One On Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by MuslimPegan: 5:55pm On Aug 27, 2023
Division of the old eastern region was a well articulated plan by the Nigerian government.

The old eastern region (from Bendel) had the number for any election turn out , as seen during Jonathan and now obi.

Breaking them into something called South South was a smart move for block votes .

If the north is broken down to NN what will be the fate of people in Jos and NC for block votes .

This is a thread let's discuss

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by MuslimPegan: 5:58pm On Aug 27, 2023
What exactly was the reason of creating more states in the old eastern region?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by MuslimPegan: 6:00pm On Aug 27, 2023
The Eastern Region was an administrative region in Nigeria, dating back originally from the division of the colony Southern Nigeria in 1954. Its first capital was Calabar. The capital was later moved to Enugu and the second capital was Umuahia

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by MuslimPegan: 6:04pm On Aug 27, 2023
In 1965 the total population was 12million

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by MuslimPegan: 6:05pm On Aug 27, 2023
The region had the third-, fourth- and fifth-largest indigenous ethnic groups including Igbo, Ibibio and Ijaw. It was what later became Biafra, which was in rebellion from 1967 to 1970.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by Jogs1900: 6:06pm On Aug 27, 2023
Bendel was never part of the old eastern region.Bendel was in the western region headquartered in Ibadan.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by MuslimPegan: 6:08pm On Aug 27, 2023
Jogs1900:
Bendel was never part of the old eastern region.Bendel was in the western region headquartered in Ibadan.

That is correct but a flaw wa delta state how was that possible knowing that after Delta is Edo before the west?
Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by MuslimPegan: 6:13pm On Aug 27, 2023
An African dominated government institution, the Eastern Regional Assembly with the powers to debate but not enact laws was established in 1948. It had fifteen nominated African members and fourteen nominated European officials. In 1951, the regional assembly was given more legislative and financial powers following the enactment of the McPherson Constitution. In addition, the assembly number of members in the assembly was enlarged to eighty elected African members, three special members and five officials. Though the NCNC dominated the 1951 election, party organization was not particularly strong because the party's headquarters was in Lagos and its leader did not contest election in the region. Many members elected into the House were previously independent candidates and only declared for the NCNC after their election to get political backing. After a crisis in 1953, party organization was strengthened and in a new election conducted in 1953 and in which Azikiwe, the NCNC leader contested, the party had a decisive victory.

The history of local government representation in the region were in three phases. The first phase was through warrant chiefs many of whom were created by the colonial government. But after the Aba riot of 1929, the system gradually gave way to the Native Authority administration led by older men within the communities. This system was not particularly strong as it was in Northern Nigeria. In the 1950s, local government system following the English model of boroughs county and district councils was introduced
Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by creativehubb: 6:19pm On Aug 27, 2023
Bendel was part of the Western region, and your posts makes no sense, as people from Bendel has had a long ancestral history, from the Benin empire, it was due to administrative convenience that they were lumped together with southwesterners into Western region then, as time goes on, it made sense they brought people with same similarities together, South South people have similarities in progenity, I know, a bit of people with Igbo ancestry as with other tribes assimilated into South South as a minority, but people of the South South to a large extent share similar progenity, different from people of other geopolitical zones. Nothing wrong with breaking it down at all, it even makes more sense than lumping people together, breaking it down gives more voice to the people at the grassroot. everything is not politics.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by MuslimPegan: 6:22pm On Aug 27, 2023
creativehubb:
Bendel was part of the Western region, and your posts makes no sense, as people from Bendel has had a long ancestral history, from the Benin empire, it was due to administrative convenience that they were lumped together with southwesterners into Western region then, as time goes on, it made sense they brought people with same similarities together, South South people have similarities in progenity, I know, a bit of people with Igbo ancestry as with other tribes assimilated into South South as a minority, but people of the South South to a large extent share similar progenity, different from people of their zones. Nothing wrong with breaking it down at all, it even makes more sense than lumping people together, everything is not politics.

This is a discussion don't fight or shout

I brought the issue of Bendel for a purpose.

You are correct but my question is why was delta in Bendel knowing you will pass Edo before the west ?
Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by orisa37: 6:25pm On Aug 27, 2023
NIGERIA MILITARY IS THE SMARTEST IN THE WORLD.
Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by MuslimPegan: 6:27pm On Aug 27, 2023
orisa37:
NIGERIA MILITARY IS THE SMARTEST IN THE WORLD.

It was very strategic and the aim was achieved.

Politics is a really really dirty game for real
Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by orisa37: 6:29pm On Aug 27, 2023
TO TAME THE RASCALITIES OF THE IGBOS.
Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by MuslimPegan: 6:30pm On Aug 27, 2023
orisa37:
TO TAME THE RASCALITIES OF THE IGBOS.

This is what I don't need here if you can't talk like a normal human that breathe air you move on

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by orisa37: 6:31pm On Aug 27, 2023
AZIKWE PLAYED THE DOUBLE.
Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by MuslimPegan: 6:32pm On Aug 27, 2023
orisa37:
AZIKWE PLAYED THE DOUBLE.

How do you mean ?

I mean the states created in the Old eastern region was it done by Azikiwe?
Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by cybersoldiers: 6:33pm On Aug 27, 2023
MuslimPegan:

It was very strategic and the aim was achieved.

Politics is a really really dirty game for real

And people like you shamelessly complain that Nigeria doesn't develop? How do you want it to develop when you support your fellows who have nothing to offer or are grossly foolish?
Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by MuslimPegan: 6:34pm On Aug 27, 2023
cybersoldiers:

And people like you shamelessly complain that Nigeria doesn't develop? How do you want it to develop when you support your fellows who have nothing to offer or are grossly foolish?

Who are your people you refered to.

Of you lack home training you should focus on your family alone not the general public
Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by orisa37: 6:40pm On Aug 27, 2023
THE WEST SHOULD INCLUDE 1/4 KEBBI STATE, 1/2 OF KOGI STATE AND STRAIGHT DOWN FROM LOKOJA TO THE CREEK AND THAT INCLUDES BAYELSA DELTA AND EDO IN THE WEST.
BENUE STATE IS PART OF THE EAST. UCHE IN IMO IS ECHE IN BENUE. YOU DON'T CROSS NATURAL RIVERS. AND WHEN YOU DO, YOU BECOME IMMIGRANTS, INVADERS AND TERRORISTS.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by MuslimPegan: 6:41pm On Aug 27, 2023
orisa37:
THE WEST SHOULD INCLUDE 1/4 KEBBI STATE, 1/2 OF KOGI STATE AND STRAIGHT DOWN FROM LOKOJA TO THE CREEK AND THAT INCLUDES BAYELSA DELTA AND EDO IN THE WEST.
BENUE STATE IS PART OF THE EAST. UCHE IN IMO IS ECHE IN BENUE.

That is logical but I don't see a need to create more states knowing the after effects later
Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by Wainey: 6:42pm On Aug 27, 2023
MuslimPegan:
Division of the old eastern region was a well articulated plan by the Nigerian government.

The old eastern region (from Bendel) had the number for any election turn out , as seen during Jonathan and now obi.

Breaking them into something called South South was a smart move for block votes .

If the north is broken down to NN what will be the fate of people in Jos and NC for block votes .

This is a thread let's discuss
creation of more states gives the minorities a voice of their own.
If the igbos had seen the other minorities as part of them and not a tool to win elections, maybe the bond won't be broken by creating more states.
NE and NW votes aren't broken despite being different regions, the old Eastern region was a very bad marriage that was supposed to be broken

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by MuslimPegan: 6:43pm On Aug 27, 2023
Wainey:
creation of more states gives the minorities a voice of their own.
If the igbos had seen the other minorities as part of them and not a tool to win elections, maybe the bond won't be broken by creating more states.
NE and NW votes aren't broken despite being different regions, the old Eastern region was a very bad marriage that was supposed to be broken

But you know Edo broke out from the south west also ?
Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by creativehubb: 6:44pm On Aug 27, 2023
MuslimPegan:

This is a discussion don't fight or shout

I brought the issue of Bendel for a purpose.

You are correct but my question is why was delta in Bendel knowing you will pass Edo before the west ?
I think it's because Bendel is a old state, the Edo people started Benin empire a long time ago, most people that spread into Delta started off from Bendel/Edo. The leaders that did these changes, have proffesionals and history they consult, they didn't do everything because of power or politics, a lot of thought went into them.
Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by MuslimPegan: 6:47pm On Aug 27, 2023
creativehubb:

I think it's because Bendel is a old state, the Edo people started Benin empire a long time ago, most people that spread into Delta started off from Bendel/Edo. The leaders that did these changes, have proffesionals and history they consult, they didn't do everything because of power or politics, a lot of thought went into them.

I don't think they did Thier consultation proper, maybe scattered tribe in the south a whole not just the eastern region but the west also .

This is the result
Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by creativehubb: 6:47pm On Aug 27, 2023
MuslimPegan:

That is logical but I don't see a need to create more states knowing the after effects later
You are looking at things from the political prism, creating more states makes it easier to reach the grassroots more, people's voices are heard more. The way it is now makes more sense, than lumping people together.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by MuslimPegan: 6:49pm On Aug 27, 2023
creativehubb:

You are looking at things from the political prism, creating more states makes it easier to reach the grassroots more, people's voices are heard more. The way it is now makes more sense, than lumping people together.

I will give you an example of the red Indians in America the original owners.

If more states where created that way where do you think from Idaho to Alaska will be and what will they answer ?
Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by Wainey: 6:51pm On Aug 27, 2023
MuslimPegan:

But you know Edo broke out from the south west also ?
The Edo people are more Yoruba than Rivers being igbos.

I think the igbos should treat the SS as brothers instead of a tool to win election, forcing them to accept something which they visibly rejected is going to make the relationship more antagonistic than it already was. SS doesn't really trust the igbos, even though they see them as the closest relatives

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by MuslimPegan: 6:52pm On Aug 27, 2023
Wainey:
The Edo people are more Yoruba than Rivers being igbos.

I think the igbos should treat the SS as brothers instead of a tool to win election, forcing them to accept something which they visibly rejected is going to make the relationship more antagonistic than it already was. SS doesn't really trust the igbos, even though they see them as the closest relatives

That's a false fallacy.
Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by Wainey: 6:53pm On Aug 27, 2023
creativehubb:

exactly, the relationship with igbos went sour during the civil war saga.
The Igbos fvcked up and erasing history is difficult
Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by Wainey: 6:57pm On Aug 27, 2023
MuslimPegan:

That's a false fallacy.

I am from SS and I am telling you how we see igbos.

Voting Peter Obi was not because he is igbo, rather he is the youngest among the others and a Christian.

Why do u think alot of people from SS begin to reject anything Igbo in the region?
Treating every statement as false is not a good strategy, SS see igbos as cunning and sly people. You can believe it or not

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by MuslimPegan: 6:57pm On Aug 27, 2023
Wainey:
exactly, the relationship with igbos went sour during the civil war saga.
The Igbos fvcked up and erasing history is difficult

If you understand and know history you should first ask why you can't find it in any educational institutions in Nigeria.

Leave hearsay and stick to facts

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Government Played A Very Smart Move by MuslimPegan: 6:58pm On Aug 27, 2023
Wainey:
I am from SS and I am telling you how we see igbos.

Voting Peter Obi was not because he is igbo, rather he is the youngest among the others and a Christian.

Why do u think alot of people from SS begin to reject anything Igbo in the region?
Treating every statement as false is not a good strategy, SS see igbos as cunning and sly people. You can believe it or not

Dude I am from south south and I promote Igbo daily .

I currently live in Delta state

All you said is false .

SS don't behave that way you think, it's just a discord by politicans that benefits

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

BREAKING: Anambra Senator Set To Officially Join APC On Friday / First Intamin P30 On Way To Nigeria / Advocates Of Disunity Want To Be Rulers Of ‘tiny Islands’ – Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.