Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,414 members, 7,830,098 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:08 PM

Yahoo To Tech Pipeline: A Good Or Bad Move For The Nigerian Tech Industry? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Yahoo To Tech Pipeline: A Good Or Bad Move For The Nigerian Tech Industry? (886 Views)

Everybody Is A Javascript Developer On Nigerian Tech Twitter / Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. / Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yahoo To Tech Pipeline: A Good Or Bad Move For The Nigerian Tech Industry? by Paystack: 1:12pm On Sep 05, 2023
Viicfuntop:

Hello Paystack. I hope you’re well. Please I need an advice regarding a matter. May I go ahead

Alright.
Re: Yahoo To Tech Pipeline: A Good Or Bad Move For The Nigerian Tech Industry? by Viicfuntop(f): 1:39pm On Sep 05, 2023
Paystack:

Alright.

Thank you. I am just worried about my data in the wrong hands.
I would be grateful if you reply.
So I have been using Globacom for 3 years. Over the last one year, I have had a back and forth with Globacom regarding some issues from their own end. I have had to involve NCC multiple times in the past for my complaint to be resolve. Last Wednesday, my number was restricted from making calls. I wasn’t too bothered about it until last Friday. I decided to send an official mail to globacom as I was unable to even make a call to them.

I copied NCC in the mail stating the issue. In summary I told them they had no right to bar/restrict my line without a prior notification. This particular customer representative replied my mail directly to NCC (As in Dear NCC instead of Dear Viicfuntop). The rep directed NCC to advise me to recharge my line as I had low airtime. I was confident the restriction message was not because of low airtime. I went on to buy airtime just to be sure and I waited for two hours before trying to call out.
The restriction was was still there. I took a screenshot and attached it to my next mail with NCC still in company and this particular customer rep again told ncc to advise me to recharge my line. At this point, I was pissed. I sent another mail to the mail showing them that i had more than enough credit to call for three hours. I attached another evidence but I didn’t get a reply. Another representative replied me on Sunday. My nin is not properly linked to my number.
Last year, most of the telecom companies sent out a ussd code for linking individual’s NIN to their number. I didn't know mine was not Linked properly. It’s doesn’t justify the restriction though.

This is where I need your opinion. On Saturday, I received a cryptic message from globacom sms thread but I didn’t take it serious. Around 1:00 AM today, from globacom’s sms thread, I was called a dummy twice and i was migrated to another plan. I found it weird. In the three years I have been using globacom, I have never received any message that was not official. If I didn’t have this issue with globacom, I wouldn’t take ITV serious. My friend who’s a software engineer said it might be a mistake from the engineer. Apparently when software engineers are testing a new product, they use dummy as a term but the engineer probably forgot to toggle something off
Another friend on the other side who is a network engineer said it’s impossible for globacom to make such mistake. Worse case scenario, they use test test or another phrase. It’s highly unlikely that Will happen. He said the dummy statement might be an insult from the customer representative that attended to me initially. Engineers never talk to customer but I don’t think a customer care representative will have the technical expertise to modify a text from the sms thread to a customer.

I’m conflicted between these two opinions. It’s too coincidental to be ignored. Eventually if my other friend was right, then that’s data breach from globacom. We have a new update to our data protection law in Nigeria. This person literally has my data in their database. I checked with five other glo customer users. No one received the cryptic message and the dummy statement if indeed it was a software engineering mistake from their end.
I have attached evidence for your peruse. Thank you. Is it indeed an error?

Apologies for the long read. I just want to know if it is worth escalating. Thank you.

Re: Yahoo To Tech Pipeline: A Good Or Bad Move For The Nigerian Tech Industry? by Paystack: 1:59pm On Sep 05, 2023
Viicfuntop:

Thank you. I am just worried about my data in the wrong hands.
I would be grateful if you reply.
So I have been using Globacom for 3 years. Over the last one year, I have had a back and forth with Globacom regarding some issues from their own end. I have had to involve NCC multiple times in the past for my complaint to be resolve. Last Wednesday, my number was restricted from making calls. I wasn’t too bothered about it until last Friday. I decided to send an official mail to globacom as I was unable to even make a call to them.

I copied NCC in the mail stating the issue. In summary I told them they had no right to bar/restrict my line without a prior notification. This particular customer representative replied my mail directly to NCC (As in Dear NCC instead of Dear Viicfuntop). The rep directed NCC to advise me to recharge my line as I had low airtime. I was confident the restriction message was not because of low airtime. I went on to buy airtime just to be sure and I waited for two hours before trying to call out.
The restriction was was still there. I took a screenshot and attached it to my next mail with NCC still in company and this particular customer rep again told ncc to advise me to recharge my line. At this point, I was pissed. I sent another mail to the mail showing them that i had more than enough credit to call for three hours. I attached another evidence but I didn’t get a reply. Another representative replied me on Sunday. My nin is not properly linked to my number.
Last year, most of the telecom companies sent out a ussd code for linking individual’s NIN to their number. I didn't know mine was not Linked properly. It’s doesn’t justify the restriction though.

This is where I need your opinion. On Saturday, I received a cryptic message from globacom sms thread but I didn’t take it serious. Around 1:00 AM today, from globacom’s sms thread, I was called a dummy twice and i was migrated to another plan. I found it weird. In the three years I have been using globacom, I have never received any message that was not official. If I didn’t have this issue with globacom, I wouldn’t take ITV serious. My friend who’s a software engineer said it might be a mistake from the engineer. Apparently when software engineers are testing a new product, they use dummy as a term but the engineer probably forgot to toggle something off
Another friend on the other side who is a network engineer said it’s impossible for globacom to make such mistake. Worse case scenario, they use test test or another phrase. It’s highly unlikely that Will happen. He said the dummy statement might be an insult from the customer representative that attended to me initially. Engineers never talk to customer but I don’t think a customer care representative will have the technical expertise to modify a text from the sms thread to a customer.

I’m conflicted between these two opinions. It’s too coincidental to be ignored. Eventually if my other friend was right, then that’s data breach from globacom. We have a new update to our data protection law in Nigeria. This person literally has my data in their database. I checked with five other glo customer users. No one received the cryptic message and the dummy statement if indeed it was a software engineering mistake from their end.
I have attached evidence for your peruse. Thank you. Is it indeed an error?

Apologies for the long read. I just want to know if it is worth escalating. Thank you.

Well... It's doesn't look like an error to me

I doubt Glo will ever make such error since messages via that medium is usually automated unless you had a conversation with a representative and they send you a customized message.

It seems intentional but I'm not sure there's much you can do.

You can try tagging them on social media like Twitter and complain to them what happened.

If you try calling them to explain it's same customer reps who's going to pick the phone and they won't be able to do much but tel you it's a mistake.

Wait

Second look at it, it does look like a mistake and some sort of error.

I can see the message before the dummy dummy text was kind of incomplete due to some errors or something... That one usually happens... It's not new for service providers to send incomplete text

What's new is then using Dummy Dummy as placeholder for error response wink
Re: Yahoo To Tech Pipeline: A Good Or Bad Move For The Nigerian Tech Industry? by Viicfuntop(f): 2:32pm On Sep 05, 2023
Paystack:

Well... It's doesn't look like an error to me

I doubt Glo will ever make such error since messages via that medium is usually automated unless you had a conversation with a representative and they send you a customized message.

It seems intentional but I'm not sure there's much you can do.

You can try tagging them on social media like Twitter and complain to them what happened.

If you try calling them to explain it's same customer reps who's going to pick the phone and they won't be able to do much but tel you it's a mistake.

Wait

Second look at it, it does look like a mistake and some sort of error.

I can see the message before the dummy dummy text was kind of incomplete due to some errors or something... That one usually happens... It's not new for service providers to send incomplete text

What's new is then using Dummy Dummy as placeholder for error response wink

Thank you so so much for your response 🥺🥺🥺. I have been worried sick about it. I believe it’s intentional. I have never received a cryptic (the #######) message from them before and the dummy dummy confirmed it. I believe you have something programming knowledge as I have seen. Is this something a software engineer is capable of doing or a customer representative. Thank you so much 🥺

Actually I am allowed to escalate to NITDa. This is basically unlawful processing of customer’s data
Re: Yahoo To Tech Pipeline: A Good Or Bad Move For The Nigerian Tech Industry? by Paystack: 3:39pm On Sep 05, 2023
Viicfuntop:

Thank you so so much for your response 🥺🥺🥺. I have been worried sick about it. I believe it’s intentional. I have never received a cryptic (the #######) message from them before and the dummy dummy confirmed it. I believe you have something programming knowledge as I have seen. Is this something a software engineer is capable of doing or a customer representative. Thank you so much 🥺

Actually I am allowed to escalate to NITDa. This is basically unlawful processing of customer’s data

I believe a customer representative has the ability to send you a message.

Engineers won't have time sending you such message unless the engineer in question knows you personally.
Re: Yahoo To Tech Pipeline: A Good Or Bad Move For The Nigerian Tech Industry? by Viicfuntop(f): 3:51pm On Sep 05, 2023
Paystack:

I believe a customer representative has the ability to send you a message.

Engineers won't have time sending you such message unless the engineer in question knows you personally.

Thank you PAystack. You have been very helpful. I’ll be reporting this incident to NITDA. Enjoy the rest of your evening ☺️
Re: Yahoo To Tech Pipeline: A Good Or Bad Move For The Nigerian Tech Industry? by DataAlchemist: 11:08pm On Sep 05, 2023
Paystack:

Someone like you can never run a successful business or anything else.

As if you're a perfect being or void of crime

Many Yahoo boys today are young boy's usually carried away by social pressure and things they see

If someone is able to guide them and help them nurture their skills to good use then the country will be a better place.

It will be far better than allowing them to scam all their lives

Yes! Some people can scam without getting caught their entire lives... Karma sometimes is bullshit... u can see that from your leaders who have been scamming u their whole tenure.

This thing they're doing even if it won't make some who enroll change their ways... they're sure going to save some people and help them change and that's what matters

If out of 100 , 30 change

Then your old grandma at home has 30 less Yahoo boys to worry about calling her and tricking her into sending her bank private details

Bros it's a wrong move, there are also young struggling boys in tech, and despite the social pressure they face, they chose not to venture into fraud, these are the ones that needs empowerment, not stupid folks that got into crime cos of greed.
They ventured into fraud at will, so why do they have to need someone else guidance to quit? they got into fraud through peer pressure, or social pressure, but they can't get into tech through that same peer/social pressure?
Re: Yahoo To Tech Pipeline: A Good Or Bad Move For The Nigerian Tech Industry? by Paystack: 6:04am On Sep 06, 2023
DataAlchemist:

Bros it's a wrong move, there are also young struggling boys in tech, and despite the social pressure they face, they chose not to venture into fraud, these are the ones that needs empowerment, not stupid folks that got into crime cos of greed.
They ventured into fraud at will, so why do they have to need someone else guidance to quit? they got into fraud through peer pressure, or social pressure, but they can't get into tech through that same peer/social pressure?

Not everyone is a maverick... Some people need guidance, a mentor and a positive figure in their lives.

If I become very successful, I'll do exactly what that person is doing.

He never said anywhere if he helps those yahoo boys to stop scamming people he won't help other people too who don't participate or haven't started fraud.

It's just a matter of time before the so called innocent ones switch.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Any Visual Foxpro User Here / Read Me Pls / Possible IT Opportunites - Any Ideas ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.