Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,760 members, 7,813,514 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:18 PM

What Ojukwu Said About Releasing Awolowo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Ojukwu Said About Releasing Awolowo (3315 Views)

Soludo’s Inauguration Slap: Bianca Did What Ojukwu Taught Her In 1995 - Omokri / What Ojukwu Said About Second Civil War / What Ojukwu Said About Awo, Gowon, Biafra, The War And The Future Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Ojukwu Said About Releasing Awolowo by gidgiddy: 9:23am On Sep 05, 2023
You can read the full interview in my old thread below

https://www.nairaland.com/5848315/what-ojukwu-said-awo-gowon

However, this is what Ojukwu said about releasing Awolowo from Calabar Prisons

"We’ve said this over and over again, so many times, and people don’t understand; they don’t want to actually. If you remember, I released Awolowo from jail. Even that, some people are beginning to contest as well. Awo was in jail in Calabar. Gowon knows and the whole of the federal establishment knows that at no point was Gowon in charge of the East. The East took orders from me. Now, how could Gowon have released Awolowo who was in Calabar? Because of the fact that I released him, it created quite a lot of rapport between Awo and myself and I know that before he went back to Ikenne, I set up a hotline between Ikenne and my bedroom in Enugu. He tried like an elder statesman to find a solution. Awolowo is a funny one. Don’t forget that the political purpose of the coup, the Ifeajuna coup that began all this, was to hand power over to Awo. We young men respected him a great deal. He was a hero. I thought he was a hero and certainly I received him when I was governor. We talked and he was very vehement when he saw our complaints and he said that if the Igbos were forced out by Nigeria that he would take the Yorubas out also. I don’t know what anybody makes of that statement but it is simple. Whether he did or didn’t, it is too late. There is nothing you can do about it. So, he said this and I must have made some appropriate responses too. But it didn’t quite work out the way that we both thought. Awolowo, evidently, had a constant review of the Yoruba situation and took different path. That’s it. I don’t blame him for it. I have never done"

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Ojukwu Said About Releasing Awolowo by TemplarLandry: 9:26am On Sep 05, 2023
cool
Re: What Ojukwu Said About Releasing Awolowo by illicit(m): 9:33am On Sep 05, 2023
Up Awo
Re: What Ojukwu Said About Releasing Awolowo by helinues: 9:35am On Sep 05, 2023
Una wan dey twist so many times debunked story.

Those who refused to move on from the past are not ready to be progressive

6 Likes

Re: What Ojukwu Said About Releasing Awolowo by ButIdoandIdont: 9:36am On Sep 05, 2023
helinues:

Good morning

Are you now ready to leave your parents house and rent your own?

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Ojukwu Said About Releasing Awolowo by ican2020: 9:40am On Sep 05, 2023
Foolish thread nations are moving forward this idiot is bringing outdated stories here

1 Like

Re: What Ojukwu Said About Releasing Awolowo by Ritchiee: 9:41am On Sep 05, 2023
Revisionist.
The YouTube video that is the truism is available,sir.

2 Likes

Re: What Ojukwu Said About Releasing Awolowo by Christistruth03: 9:41am On Sep 05, 2023
grin
Re: What Ojukwu Said About Releasing Awolowo by Christistruth03: 9:42am On Sep 05, 2023
grin

Gen Giowon released Awolowo

This is Awolowo still in his Prison Clothes going to thank Gowon after he was released

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMNa4671Yuw?si=8hgrHM4aSO_R8yXf

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/191679-why-i-released-awolowo-from-prison-gowon.html?tztc=1

9 Likes

Re: What Ojukwu Said About Releasing Awolowo by Godwin4444: 9:44am On Sep 05, 2023
gidgiddy:

"We’ve said this over and over again, so many times, and people don’t understand; they don’t want to actually. If you remember, I released Awolowo from jail. Even that, some people are beginning to contest as well. Awo was in jail in Calabar. Gowon knows and the whole of the federal establishment knows that at no point was Gowon in charge of the East. The East took orders from me. Now, how could Gowon have released Awolowo who was in Calabar? Because of the fact that I released him, it created quite a lot of rapport between Awo and myself and I know that before he went back to Ikenne, I set up a hotline between Ikenne and my bedroom in Enugu. He tried like an elder statesman to find a solution. Awolowo is a funny one. Don’t forget that the political purpose of the coup, the Ifeajuna coup that began all this, was to hand power over to Awo. We young men respected him a great deal. He was a hero. I thought he was a hero and certainly I received him when I was governor. We talked and he was very vehement when he saw our complaints and he said that if the Igbos were forced out by Nigeria that he would take the Yorubas out also. I don’t know what anybody makes of that statement but it is simple. Whether he did or didn’t, it is too late. There is nothing you can do about it. So, he said this and I must have made some appropriate responses too. But it didn’t quite work out the way that we both thought. Awolowo, evidently, had a constant review of the Yoruba situation and took different path. That’s it. I don’t blame him for it. I have never done"

u igbos n your lies

U just want to rewrite history by fire by thunder

8 Likes

Re: What Ojukwu Said About Releasing Awolowo by Christistruth03: 9:47am On Sep 05, 2023
Godwin4444:
u igbos n your lies

U just want to rewrite history by fire by thunder

What do you expect Fraudsters to do

Na their Work to tell lies Na like their father

It is those who love their Country that would make sure their lies are soundly defeated and Crushed because God Almighty is the only God who sits on the Throne of Truth

That is why every cause they lay their hands on will always Sink and go down

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Ojukwu Said About Releasing Awolowo by gidgiddy: 9:57am On Sep 05, 2023
Christistruth03:
grin

This is Awolowo still in his Prison Clothes going to thank Gowon after he was released

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/191679-why-i-released-awolowo-from-prison-gowon.html?tztc=1

Only a complete fool would believe that after a coup that killed Ironsi, Gowon, or any Northern officer fir that matter, would have ventured into the Eastern Region to release Awolowo

17 Likes

Re: What Ojukwu Said About Releasing Awolowo by goodnessme1(f): 10:29am On Sep 05, 2023
Yoruba parents lied to their kids about awolowo release.

They were ashamed of Yorubas character which Awolowo exhibited over someone that released him from prison Hausafulanis sent him in, just because of promise of president which he never became.

13 Likes

Re: What Ojukwu Said About Releasing Awolowo by laiperi: 10:29am On Sep 05, 2023
No matter how Ojukwu lie is debunked, these people are serial liars.

Awo wrote a letter to Ironsi while Ojukwu was governor that he could have been released if he accepted to work with the North like Akintola, but he refused on principle.

One would have thought that anyone that was bent on working with the East rather than the North, would gain his release from prison as Ironsi took over. No, it was to their delight if Awo rot away in prison.

Gowon finally did and released Awo from Federal prison. Ojukwu, like his typical kinsmen rush to claim credit.

Una nor dey taya claim credits for what you did not do or achieve in life but deny every mistake, force and creed you created.

8 Likes

Re: What Ojukwu Said About Releasing Awolowo by goodnessme1(f): 10:31am On Sep 05, 2023
helinues:

We have seen progressive you people are grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Ojukwu Said About Releasing Awolowo by goodnessme1(f): 10:34am On Sep 05, 2023
laiperi:
No matter how Ojukwu lie is debunked, these people are serial liars.

Awo wrote a letter to Ironsi while Ojukwu was governor that he could have been released if he accepted to work with the North like Akintola, but he refused on principle.

One would have thought that anyone that was bent on working with the East rather than the North, would gain his release from prison as Ironsi took over. No, it was to their delight if Awo rot away in prison.

Gowon finally did and released Awo from Federal prison. Ojukwu, like his typical kinsmen rush to claim credit.

Una nor dey taya claim credits for what you did not do or achieve in life but deny every mistake, force and creed you created.
We understand why Yorubas are lying about who released their hero.

It's very shameful for awolowo to have showed his Yoruba character to a man that save his ass.

We understand

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Ojukwu Said About Releasing Awolowo by helinues: 10:36am On Sep 05, 2023
goodnessme1:
We have seen progressive you people are grin grin

You have not seen it yet migrating enmass to the region.

Comot the super glue for your eyes

3 Likes

Re: What Ojukwu Said About Releasing Awolowo by ButIdoandIdont: 10:38am On Sep 05, 2023
helinues:

Is that why you are glued to poverty?

2 Likes

Re: What Ojukwu Said About Releasing Awolowo by Emergingnation(m): 10:38am On Sep 05, 2023
helinues:

Says typical Yoruba Muslim,. Are you more progressive than the Igbos ?. grin chronic unity beggar..

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Ojukwu Said About Releasing Awolowo by helinues: 10:39am On Sep 05, 2023
Emergingnation:
Says typical Yoruba Muslim,. Are you more progressive than the Igbos ?. grin chronic unity beggar..

Our progressiveness never reach make we dey lock ourselves up every Monday morning when we know the economy impact

6 Likes

Re: What Ojukwu Said About Releasing Awolowo by goodnessme1(f): 10:45am On Sep 05, 2023
Christistruth03:
grin

How is that a prison cloth?

The way you Yorubas lie.

God forbid.

The video was when he's promising awolowo president which he never became.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Ojukwu Said About Releasing Awolowo by ButIdoandIdont: 10:47am On Sep 05, 2023
helinues:

Our progressiveness never reach make we dey lock ourselves up every Monday morning when we know the economy impact

Leave your parents house and go Rent your own house

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Ojukwu Said About Releasing Awolowo by seunmsg(m): 10:53am On Sep 05, 2023
gidgiddy:

Only a complete fool would believe that after a coup that killed Ironsi, Gowon, or any Northern officer fir that matter, would have ventured into the Eastern Region to release Awolowo

Okay, let’s reason with common sense and not with emotions. Ojukwu was appointed as governor of the Eastern region by Ironsi in January 1966. From January to July 1966, Ironsi was head of state and Ojukwu was governor and Awolowo was not released.

Gowon took over after the July coup and ordered the release of Awolowo from prison. As at July of 1966, who was the head of state? Who was in charge of Federal prisons? If it was Ojukwu that released Awolowo, why was he not immediately arrested when he got to Lagos?

You mean Ojukwu woke up one day and order Awolowo’s release and boom, Awolowo was in Lagos the next day meeting with Gowon and not Ojukwu? How come it was the Gowon led Federal Government that gazetted the release of Awolowo and not Ojukwu’s Eastern region government ? Do you now see how silly you sound?

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Ojukwu Said About Releasing Awolowo by goodnessme1(f): 10:54am On Sep 05, 2023
helinues:

So not migrating by living all your life Oshogho is Progressing grin grin

3 Likes

Re: What Ojukwu Said About Releasing Awolowo by helinues: 10:57am On Sep 05, 2023
goodnessme1:
So not migrating by living all your life Oshogho is Progressing grin grin

When did I tell you I live in Oshogbo?

4 Likes

Re: What Ojukwu Said About Releasing Awolowo by goodnessme1(f): 10:58am On Sep 05, 2023
seunmsg:

Okay, let’s reason with common and not with emotions. Ojukwu was appointed as governor of the Eastern region by Ironsi in January 1966. From January to July 1966, Ironsi was head of state and Ojukwu was governor and Awolowo was not released.

Gowon took over after the July coup and ordered the release of Awolowo from prison. As at July of 1966, who was the head of state? Who was in charge of Federal prisons? If it was Ojukwu that released Awolowo, why was he not immediately arrested when he got to Lagos?

You mean Ojukwu woke up one day and order Awolowo’s release and boom, Awolowo was in Lagos the next day meeting with Gowon and not Ojukwu? How come it was the Gowon led Federal Government that gazetted the release of Awolowo and not Ojukwu’s Eastern region government ? Do you now see how silly you sound?
You mean Gowon gave order then Eastern region lead by Ojukwu (that don't recognize Gowon)Obeyed.

Where is Common sense in what claims

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Ojukwu Said About Releasing Awolowo by goodnessme1(f): 11:00am On Sep 05, 2023
helinues:

When did I tell you I live in Oshogbo?
Okay you're not living in Yoruba land sef,na for Lagos you dey making noise all over nairaland grin grin grin

7 Likes

Re: What Ojukwu Said About Releasing Awolowo by ChiefJusticeFuc: 11:00am On Sep 05, 2023
gidgiddy:

Ojukwu remains a pathological liar.

How could he have released Awolowo when the vested powers for such lied solely on Gowon as HoS?

This is how you idiots lie continuously that the Ibo coupists intended to instal Awolowo as president .

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

I Saw A Dark Cloud Hovering Over Nigeria. / ThìsGlobe.com never seen pictures of cities / Senator Gbenga Ogunniya ; 3RD TERM SENATOR

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.