Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,527 members, 7,816,285 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:49 AM

Passport Backlogs To Be Cleared In Two Weeks, Says Minister - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Passport Backlogs To Be Cleared In Two Weeks, Says Minister (20003 Views)

Immigration Clears 60,000 Passport Backlogs In 4 Days – Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo / Tunji-ojo Orders Clearance Of 200,000 Passport Backlogs Within Two Weeks / Idris Jeje Orders Clearance Of Passport Backlogs At Ikoyi Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Passport Backlogs To Be Cleared In Two Weeks, Says Minister by TheRareGem1(f): 9:47pm On Sep 05, 2023
The Minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, says clearing all passport backlogs shouldn’t take more than two weeks, adding that there is no excuse for passport delay in Nigeria

Tunji-Ojo made this known during a live appearance on Channels Television’s Politics Today programme on Tuesday.

He also said “clearing all backlogs shouldn’t take more than two weeks”, adding that the scarcity and delay around fresh passport issuance and renewal fuelled corruption in the sector.

“After clearing these backlogs, no Nigerian should wait for more than two weeks,” he stressed.

The minister said owning the green passport is a right of every Nigerian and not a privilege.

He said, “It’s a right and not a privilege, Nigerians want that right to be actually theirs, not by somebody offering you your right.”

According to him, it is not excusable for any Nigerian to be treated with disrespect because of passport application.

“What Nigerians want to see is solutions and that is what the President has constantly told us… No excuses.

“In line with the directive of Mr President, it can no longer be business as usual. We have critically analysed all these scenarios – from the point of going online to fill the form to the point of payment, to the point of picking a date, to the point of biometrics, to the point of issuance of passports. And we understand the service providers involved and we have been able to see one or two things to put right,” he said.

The Minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, says clearing all passport backlogs shouldn’t take more than two weeks, adding that there is no excuse for passport delay in Nigeria.

Tunji-Ojo made this known during a live appearance on Channels Television’s Politics Today programme on Tuesday.

He also said “clearing all backlogs shouldn’t take more than two weeks”, adding that the scarcity and delay around fresh passport issuance and renewal fuelled corruption in the sector.

“After clearing these backlogs, no Nigerian should wait for more than two weeks,” he stressed.

The minister said owning the green passport is a right of every Nigerian and not a privilege.

He said, “It’s a right and not a privilege, Nigerians want that right to be actually theirs, not by somebody offering you your right.”

According to him, it is not excusable for any Nigerian to be treated with disrespect because of passport application.

“What Nigerians want to see is solutions and that is what the President has constantly told us… No excuses.

“In line with the directive of Mr President, it can no longer be business as usual. We have critically analysed all these scenarios – from the point of going online to fill the form to the point of payment, to the point of picking a date, to the point of biometrics, to the point of issuance of passports. And we understand the service providers involved and we have been able to see one or two things to put right,” he said.

Tunji-Ojo also said he is in talks with service providers and the Nigeria Immigration Service to digitise and decentralise the process of fresh passport issuance and renewal.

“We have to digitise and we also have to decentralise the whole enrolment system and make it (possible) for people to walk into the nearest post office, people can walk into may be financial institutions and some many other ways. We are still playing with so many ideas,” he said.

https://www.channelstv.com/2023/09/05/passport-backlogs-to-be-cleared-in-two-weeks-says-minister/

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Passport Backlogs To Be Cleared In Two Weeks, Says Minister by TheRareGem1(f): 9:48pm On Sep 05, 2023
This man is really making wave. Started with good note already. I pray he succeeds

119 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Passport Backlogs To Be Cleared In Two Weeks, Says Minister by Acekidc4(m): 9:49pm On Sep 05, 2023
To collect Passport wey you use your hard earned money pay for Na big Wahala!! Those Passport officials will task you Sotey they will nearly ask you to bring your life!!

116 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Passport Backlogs To Be Cleared In Two Weeks, Says Minister by Alchemy528: 10:03pm On Sep 05, 2023
grin cry
Re: Passport Backlogs To Be Cleared In Two Weeks, Says Minister by ojun50(m): 10:04pm On Sep 05, 2023
Some people go still believe this man, na him dey capture and process the passport. Them first talk one Month and two weeks for collection , that never possible na two weeks.

Make una dey hope

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Passport Backlogs To Be Cleared In Two Weeks, Says Minister by TheRareGem1(f): 10:05pm On Sep 05, 2023
ojun50:
Some people go still believe this man, na him dey capture and process the passport. Them first talk one Month and two weeks for collection , that never possible na two weeks.

Make una dey hope

Black sheep

65 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Passport Backlogs To Be Cleared In Two Weeks, Says Minister by ojun50(m): 10:06pm On Sep 05, 2023
TheRareGem1:

Black sheep
Go and collect yrs in two weeks
White sheep

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Passport Backlogs To Be Cleared In Two Weeks, Says Minister by helinues: 10:14pm On Sep 05, 2023
Passport renewal outside Nigeria is not that stressful like renewing in Nigeria.

Why?

101 Likes

Re: Passport Backlogs To Be Cleared In Two Weeks, Says Minister by alwayzonlyn(m): 10:18pm On Sep 05, 2023
helinues:
Passport renewal outside Nigeria is not that stressful like renewing in Nigeria.

Why?

Corruption!!!

No beating round the bush about it

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Passport Backlogs To Be Cleared In Two Weeks, Says Minister by bet9ja(m): 10:19pm On Sep 05, 2023
helinues:

Why?

You are correct, it took me less than 2 weeks to renew my passport in Johannesburg.

17 Likes

Re: Passport Backlogs To Be Cleared In Two Weeks, Says Minister by helinues: 10:23pm On Sep 05, 2023
bet9ja:

You are correct, it took me less than 2 weeks to renew my passport in Johannesburg.

Mine na 3 days. Location undisclosed. I went on Monday, they told me to come back on Wednesday for pick up, I deliberately didn't go on Wednesday considering Nigeria factor, when I called the embassy on Thursday, they told me it was ready since yesterday, went and picked it up with no hastle

101 Likes

Re: Passport Backlogs To Be Cleared In Two Weeks, Says Minister by Skillsnigeria: 11:02pm On Sep 05, 2023
Hmmm
Re: Passport Backlogs To Be Cleared In Two Weeks, Says Minister by Klasique911(m): 11:04pm On Sep 05, 2023
grin

2 Likes

Re: Passport Backlogs To Be Cleared In Two Weeks, Says Minister by BigBlackPreek(m): 11:04pm On Sep 05, 2023
Welcome development

2 Likes

Re: Passport Backlogs To Be Cleared In Two Weeks, Says Minister by CaptainRogers(m): 11:04pm On Sep 05, 2023
ojun50:

Make una dey hope

Re: Passport Backlogs To Be Cleared In Two Weeks, Says Minister by Menclothing: 11:06pm On Sep 05, 2023
If true it’s a good one from minister of interior

2 Likes

Re: Passport Backlogs To Be Cleared In Two Weeks, Says Minister by MANNABBQGRILLS: 11:08pm On Sep 05, 2023
This Minister is here to work.

He is a Good one.

We need more like him.

It’s a right and not a privilege,
It is not excusable for any Nigerian to be treated with disrespect because of passport application.

90 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Passport Backlogs To Be Cleared In Two Weeks, Says Minister by enemyofprogress: 11:09pm On Sep 05, 2023
Thank God o. Finally ajepako go get passport to relocate to Togo

You no get man you dey buy new pant who wan comot am for you 😂

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Passport Backlogs To Be Cleared In Two Weeks, Says Minister by lendahand(m): 11:09pm On Sep 05, 2023
helinues:

Why?
so I can renew from Canada?

What I suffered to renew in May no he here oo. Up till now it isn't ready, can you imagine?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Passport Backlogs To Be Cleared In Two Weeks, Says Minister by NwaNimo1(m): 11:10pm On Sep 05, 2023
.....Please do!

1 Like

Re: Passport Backlogs To Be Cleared In Two Weeks, Says Minister by ExtremeDot: 11:10pm On Sep 05, 2023
Immigration, one hell of a corrupt sector.
You need your passport in quick time? You go have to put hand for pocket and bribe an officer weh go make am happen.

That way, them go first process the passports submitted by those officers weh their clients dun put small thing for their pocket.

Una weh no pay officers to help una, una passport go deh back back, untill them dun finish the passports of those weh bribe officers.

9ja our country.

7 Likes

Re: Passport Backlogs To Be Cleared In Two Weeks, Says Minister by sammirano: 11:13pm On Sep 05, 2023
I gib up when Servicom started collecting 5,500 in Lagos Alimosho before opening form. If you plan on living long don't think about Nigeria.

12 Likes

Re: Passport Backlogs To Be Cleared In Two Weeks, Says Minister by seunny4lif(m): 11:14pm On Sep 05, 2023
They need to clean up the immigration offices.
The people are too corrupt, but people don’t even know.

Imagine paying even more than the passport fees and then begging them to release your passport untop your own money oooh

9 Likes

Re: Passport Backlogs To Be Cleared In Two Weeks, Says Minister by meum: 11:15pm On Sep 05, 2023
You see this country eh, if you want to live long comot mind for where 9ja matter dey.

6 Likes

Re: Passport Backlogs To Be Cleared In Two Weeks, Says Minister by jahsharon: 11:16pm On Sep 05, 2023
Okay nah
Re: Passport Backlogs To Be Cleared In Two Weeks, Says Minister by Nobody: 11:17pm On Sep 05, 2023
Heavens2:
The minister is off to a great start. I hope he maintains it
Easier said than done

1 Like

Re: Passport Backlogs To Be Cleared In Two Weeks, Says Minister by Nobody: 11:20pm On Sep 05, 2023
Immigration staff will tell you'Our server is down.If you no bribe to fast track the process you go dey visit immigration office everyday like say you dey go work.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Passport Backlogs To Be Cleared In Two Weeks, Says Minister by OsasMorrison: 11:23pm On Sep 05, 2023
The system is mess. I went for capturing and was given a tracking code. Only for them to tell me that they can no longer get my details in their system again. Over a year now. That I will need to make a.fresh payment for another passport.....at this moment now I'm even tired.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigeria Military Xmas Message / APC Chieftain, Others Defect To PDP In Bayelsa / Alao-Akala Joins APC, Dumps Labour Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.