Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,914 members, 7,835,053 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:35 AM

2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) (73153 Views)

Atiku Vs Buhari: Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement Live On Channels TV / Osun Governorship Appeal Judgement (Live Updates) / Osun Election Tribunal Judgement: Osun State Govt Issues Press Release- Details (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (30) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by timisquare82(m): 11:39am On Sep 06, 2023
Kennyswag:
I hate Peter obi with all my heart cool
How will you hate an image of God like that just because of politics.

13 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by helinues: 11:39am On Sep 06, 2023
His Excellency Tinubu's victory will be upheld

https://www.nairaland.com/7830496/pept-judgement-heavy-blow-started

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by fergie001: 11:41am On Sep 06, 2023
garfield1:

I thought it was struck out and he is now handling obi and atiku petition
The Supreme Court has stated in the past in Ohakim v Okorocha, that the lower Court must give judgement and reasons behind the decision, giving judgement without the reasons will be declared null and void or the case file will be taken back to them unless time has elapsed. Olanipekun was Ohakim's Counsel.

That was how Okorocha remained Gov., he won at tribunal, the Appeal Court gave judgement without reasons, when it got to the Supreme Court, it entirely nullified the Appeal Court proceedings in total.

Only the final Courts can give judgement then set aside another day for reasons. The Appeal Court can only afford to do that in National Assembly petitions.

vicdom:
Why is this court looking into the meat of this double nominations case by the PDP, when it can easily strike it out since it brothers on Jurisdiction as cited in the case of APM?
The PDP had nothing to do with Shettima. They lost at the Supreme Court with that so bringing it up here will be an abuse of Court process which will earn them some rebuke and fine.

The Court is still on APM, they are on recess and will reconvene to the next petition, either Atiku or Obi's depending on them.

1 Like

Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by seunmsg(m): 11:41am On Sep 06, 2023
Why is Penguin2, the LP lead counsel on Nairaland absent on duty today? That dude opened over a hundred threads to analyze how Tinubu will be defeated at the tribunal. Why has he abandoned his duty on a very important day like this?

16 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 11:42am On Sep 06, 2023
pquaver:

In the defense of judgment against president Tinubu qualification, the honourable justices quoted a section of a judgment on zamfara governor yari. If the law or constitution which ruled on the governor is used to defend the president case, then apply your sense.. Just a logical question.. Does a governor compulsorily have to score 25% in the state capital to become governor? What ever answer ur head gave you, apply it to the president.. Shikena shalom..
If it's not in the constitution why should the Gov be used for President when Abuja own is in the constitution

1 Like

Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by hegelian: 11:42am On Sep 06, 2023
Kennyswag:

You hate someone that doesn't even know u exist.. Think am na bros.. Don't let all this stupid online banters get your sanity oo, you are too young foe that.. Abeg work on your sanity oo.. Tinubu, obi, atiku doesn't give a damn about you ooo

9 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by JuicyStar: 11:42am On Sep 06, 2023
pquaver:

@ the bolded i totally disagree with you. Please go and verify..

For you to become the governor of your state.
Zhe says you must score 25% in 2/3 of all the units that makes up that state. Go and look it up. Dont forget the state capital is the equivalent of the fct in the state..

Thanks for ur comment but section 179 of the state requirement to be met before someone can be declared the winner of a government election. S.2(b) is to the effect that the governor must win 2/3 of all Local Government area in the state. My argument is that the issue of 25percent win in state capital does not apply to governorship elections.
Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by Bimpe29: 11:43am On Sep 06, 2023
Otilo
tamdun:

Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by cjudy(m): 11:43am On Sep 06, 2023
seunmsg:
Why is Penguin2, the LP lead counsel on Nairaland absent on duty today? That dude opened over a hundred threads to analyze how Tinubu will be defeated at the tribunal. Why has he abandoned his duty on a very important day like this?
He’s probably in court and not jobless like you.

11 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by JuicyStar: 11:45am On Sep 06, 2023
Jorussia:
25% in two thirds of local government areas apply to state governors

Very true but unlike the Section 134 (2) (b) it doesn’t give any special status to the state capital.
Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by helinues: 11:46am On Sep 06, 2023
The oppositions are in sober mood.

Reality is already dawning on them. Winning an election or court case is not by mouth.

Ordinarily the big wigs in court in support of Apc alone already indicated where the pendulum would swing to.

Politics no be una mate

2 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by fuke(m): 11:48am On Sep 06, 2023
Let us abide by the cour decision witout violence.

Do you know living into 90s is possibble?
Check this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VDtCLEAaig&t=14s
Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by pquaver(m): 11:48am On Sep 06, 2023
ChiefJusticeFuc:

There is no special status given to state capitals .

You can be declared winner as long as you get 2/3rd spread and no mention is given to state capitals .
Abuja fct.. Quote FCT is to be treated as if it is one of the state of the federation, the president will be its governor and national assembly as it its house of of assembly to makes its laws, its local government will be the local council..
If u are told to treat something as if it is.. What does that mean to you? Treat him the man as if he is ur friend, does that mot mean what applies to ur friends should apply to him too?
Taking that content apply what happens with 25% in 2/3 of other states to fct too. It means if Tinubu can be president for not scoring 25% in Anambra he can be president for not scoring same in fct provided he meets the requirements in the remaining units that make up 36 states and fct. Shalom

1 Like

Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by ChiefJusticeFuc: 11:48am On Sep 06, 2023
JuicyStar:

Thanks for ur comment but section 179 of the state requirement to be met before someone can be declared the winner of a government election. S.2(b) is to the effect that the governor must win 2/3 of all Local Government area in the state. My argument is that the issue of 25percent win in state capital does not apply to governorship elections.

What in your warped mind led you to believe Abuja has some special status ?

Your Abuja residents do not have any fcking special status .

1 Like

Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by aremubabs: 11:51am On Sep 06, 2023
cyrusmillz:

oh. So what's the real benefit an unemployed person gets from supporting APC ?

The point he is making is there will always be unemployed people irrespective of which party is in power.

The way many of you reason, it is like you believe that if Obi had won the presidency, unemployment would end, poverty would end, terrorism would end, wastage would end, corruption would end, Nigeria would suddenly become Dubai.

The irony is that Peter Obi is not even new to governance. He has governed a state before, for 8 solid years. What impact did he make in that state? What out-of-the-box projects did he execute or complete? I don't understand the sudden love for Obi. It is all sentiment.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by HarryGleb: 11:51am On Sep 06, 2023
helinues:
The oppositions are in sober mood.

Reality is already dawning on them. Winning an election or court case is not by mouth.

Ordinarily the big wigs in court in support of Apc alone already indicated where the pendulum would swing to.

Politics no be una mate
I have a job for you ok. See my signature
Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by renderme: 11:52am On Sep 06, 2023
grin

4 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by ChiefJusticeFuc: 11:52am On Sep 06, 2023
pquaver:

Abuja fct.. Quote FCT is to be treated as if it is one of the state of the federation, the president will be its governor and national assembly as it its house of of assembly to makes its laws, its local government will be the local council..
If u are told to treat something as if it is.. What does that mean to you? Treat him the him as if he is ur friend, does that mot mean what applies to ur friends should apply to him too?
Taking that content apply what happens with 25% in 2/3 of other states to fct too. It means if Tinubu can be president for not scoring 25% in Anambra he can be president for not scoring same in fct provided he meets is in the remaining units that make up 36 states and fct. Shalom

Ohu, that's because presidential elections are also conducted within the FCT like every other state but there is no where it is stated that you must get 25% in Abuja. Fine if you get 25% but if you don't, you need to secure at least 2/3rd of the total states (including FCT) which amounts to at least 24 states with or without the FCT.

Why this has dragged on shows how stupid and crafty you Anarcho Marxists are hell bent on causing confusion.

2 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by Kennyswag: 11:53am On Sep 06, 2023
hegelian:

You hate someone that doesn't even know u exist.. Think am na bros.. Don't let all this stupid online banters get your sanity oo, you are too young foe that.. Abeg work on your sanity oo.. Tinubu, obi, atiku doesn't give a damn about you ooo
crap from an omo igbo

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by cyrusmillz: 11:53am On Sep 06, 2023
77up:
Because they will have a pay rise to 10,000,000 monthly if they support Obi.

Dey play undecided

Of course not. I'm just asking what an unemployed person gets from supporting APC. At least with the current price of fuel . An unemployed person can't afford it , coupled with the many policies that the FG put in place... what exactly is the "joy" or benefit an unemployed APC member gets
Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by OlujobaSamuel: 11:53am On Sep 06, 2023
JuicyStar:

The reason for 25% argument in fct is because you can't list fct as a state even though it is to be treated as one.
If the constitution had stated 25% in ⅔states and 25% in fct, it means you must have 25% from both.
If it states 25% in ⅔states or 25% in fct, it means only one, meaning one without 25% in other states but only fct can easily win the election which can't be the intent of the law.
Then we have, 25% in ⅔states and fct, this means having 25% from the two joined together

5 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by Ahigbo1: 11:53am On Sep 06, 2023
seunmsg:

He's in Abuja, while you keep ranting here tongue
Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by JuicyStar: 11:53am On Sep 06, 2023
ChiefJusticeFuc:

What in your warped mind led you to believe Abuja has some special status ?

Your Abuja residents do not have any fcking special status .

That’s because ur shallow mind suddenly believes that my comment suggest that I’m saying that Abuja has a special status.
Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by JuicyStar: 11:54am On Sep 06, 2023
OlujobaSamuel:

The reason for 25% argument in fct is because you can't list fct as a state even though it is to be treated as one.
If the constitution had stated 25% in ⅔states and 25% in fct, it means you must have 25% from both.
If it states 25% in ⅔states or 25% in fct, it means only one, meaning one without 25% in other states but only fct can easily win the election which can't be the intent of the law.
Then we have, 25% in ⅔states and fct, this means having 25% from the two joined together

I concur
Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by akanbiaa(m): 11:55am On Sep 06, 2023
NothingDoMe:
Yes. That has been the most interesting and long awaited bone of contention. I've really really been looking forward to this as it is the first time it is happening in over 20 years.
It has been settled with analogy of 25% not needed in any State capital for a Governor to win a State general election if overall votes meets constitutional requirements to be declared winner without need for rerun.
Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by dmangodwin(m): 11:56am On Sep 06, 2023
Kennyswag:
On top politics

1 Like

Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by adelekeolu(m): 12:03pm On Sep 06, 2023
Bola is here to stay

4 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by cyrusmillz: 12:03pm On Sep 06, 2023
aremubabs:

The point he is making is there will always be unemployed people irrespective of which party is in power.

Of course , there will always be unemployed persons in every party,whether APC, PDP, LP, APM or whatever. But I think you're the one getting me wrong. The price of fuel is N580 where I am , the price of daily needs have skyrocketed, even poultry and pig farmers around her complaining due to the cost of feed. So to see an unemployed APC person being "joyful" of the possibility of an APC victory is what I don't understand. Maybe you can explain better
Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by tunde1200(m): 12:04pm On Sep 06, 2023
timisquare82:

How will you hate an image of God like that just because of politics.

Me too hate h with passion due to you the followers' attitudes on social media

1 Like

Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by fergie001: 12:04pm On Sep 06, 2023
fergie001:

Justice Tsammani is delving into the merits of the case and taking it together with the preliminary objections.

This is made necessary as the PEPT is not the final Court.

Still on APM v. INEC, APC, Tinubu, Shettima & Masari.
APM v. INEC, APC, Tinubu, Shettima & Masari:

The Petitioner's case rests on the sole ground of alleged invalid nomination of Tinubu's running mate, Sen. Kashim Shettima.

Petitioner claimed that Shettima's nomination as Tinubu's running mate was in breach of the provisions of the Electoral Act and Constitution.

The issue of qualification or nomination of any candidate is a pre-election matter and should have gone to the Federal High Court.

Even if this court has jurisdiction on issue of nomination of 3rd
Respondent (Shettima), the matter is statute barred and
incompetent. The petitioner's suit should have been filed within
14 days after the cause of action as required by law.

Section 84(3) of the Electoral Act says that a political party shall
not impose nomination qualification or disqualification criteria
outside of those in the Constitution. The provision applicable to
qualification and disqualification in an election petition are
sections 131 and 137 of the Constitution.

The petitioner (APM) has no locus standi to challenge the
nomination of the candidate of another political party (APC).
They lack locus standi to raise issue of valid nomination of
Kashim Shettima.

The issue of double nomination against Sen. Shettima was settled by the apex court in the case of PDP Vs. APC & Ors. and cannot be relitigated any further (In this case, the Supreme court held that "section 284(14)(c) of the constitution does not extend to a party poking into the affairs of another party, no matter how pained and disgruntled it may be."wink

Political parties are not enjoined to conduct fresh primaries to produce a new Vice-Presidential candidate as it is the sole discretion of a Presidential candidate to nominate his associate and it is not subject to primaries per section 142 of the Constitution.

The 5th Respondent Masari should not to have been joined as a party as there is no claim against him.

Judgement
Petition does not disclose reasonable cause of action
Grounds for petition are incompetent
Petitioner failed to prove the lone ground of his petition
Petition is an abuse of court process
Petition liable to struck out for being incompetent
Petition by APM is devoid of any merit and dismissed.

Summary of Justice Tsammani's Judgement

6 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by lailo: 12:05pm On Sep 06, 2023
amanda2013:
The only people that will be disappointed today are people who still believes in Nigerian judiciary. As for me, I already know right from day one that nothing good will come of this pept. People should go about their normal business and forget whatever judgement that comes out of the tribunal today.
But if the same PEPT orders rerun today. You will come back to shout "our judiciary is the best"? #u go explain taya grin

7 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidential Election Tribunal Judgement (Live Updates) by tunde1200(m): 12:05pm On Sep 06, 2023
akanbiaa:
It has been settled with analogy of 25% not needed in any State capital for a Governor to win a State general election if overall votes meets constitutional requirements to be declared winner without need for rerun.
Them no wan hear and by force they must

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (30) (Reply)

Appeal-Court Sacks Ikpeazu, Declares Otti Winner / 'Holy Family' Statue Erected By Rochas Okorocha In Owerri (Photos) / Goodluck Jonathan Invited For Trump's Inauguration, Buhari Not Invited -Adeyanju

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.