Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,188 members, 7,818,614 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:47 PM

Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? - Travel (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? (71989 Views)

Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? / COVID-19: What Economy Class Could Look Like After Virus / US Shares Relief Materials To Nigerians In China Thrown Into The Streets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by mcquin(m): 6:57am On Sep 10, 2023
nairalanda1:

You do know that Nairaland is a site, not your life?

Qatar: 1.9 m barrels a day for 1.1 million people
UAE: 2.8m barrels a day for 12 million people
Kuwait: 3million barrels a day for 4.9 million people.
Saudi Arabia : 11million barrels a day for 40 million people

Nigeria: 1.6 million barrels a day for 230 million people.

Any questions?

And my point eventually is oil money is not enough for us. For us to be rich, we have to 1) be an exporter of manufactured goods and services 2) be an exporter of manufactured goods and servicies 3) be an exporter of manufactured goods and servicies 4) have a diversified economy which involves us being....an exporter of manufactured goods and services.

Which is why your governments are bad because...they do not want to go the route of us being a manufacturer of gooods and services. Because they are chosen by people who love imported stuff and don't want to be..(you get it now).

Note that I do not deny embezzeling happens...but if we used oil judiciosuly...at the end we produce the same amount of oil as Libya for a population that is 20 times that of Libya. We produce about half of the oil the UAE produces...and we have a population that is twenty times theirs.

Our leaders are korrupt, I DO NOT DENY THAT...but if they were not, we are still not having enough from oil. That is why we need a leadership that would make us become...an exporter of manufactured goods and services.

Well, most Nigerians are not bus conductors or civil servants or in formal employment, most Nigerians work in the informal sector, and that area is notoriosuly undertaxed.

As at 2019, 30% of Nigerians pay the taxes you just mentioned. 30% of taxable Nigerians. That's not much. Our tax to gdp is even lower than Niger Republic self.

What you see is what you get.

Yes, but when we ask you to join or form a party, you don't have the time...so, I guess the people will keep choosing the bad, until YOU stand up.

Well, if we want to be like the USA...we have to pay taxes like the USA, and like the USA, become an exporter of manufactured goods and services. The oil we have cannot sustain a country of 20 million people, talkless 220million.

Which is why you people should please for God's sake stop voting APC, PDP, LP and company and vote in some new parties.
I really enjoy your perspective on issues and look forward to them. Ofcourse you are aa reader, but more than that, a writer with emotional intelligence who tries to be polite regardless provocation. Can I get to know you, I mean beyond the forum?

Trust me I want to learn as you have learned.

I have queried your stance especially on subsidy, thinking you are an APC apologist, only to find you are only a realist.

I will like to know you.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Cromagnon: 10:49pm On Sep 10, 2023
nairalanda1:

Yo. I am not making any excuses for anyone.

All I am saying is simple. We want to be rich, we have to develop an economy dependent on manufacturing and exportation of goods and services.

Good afternoon.
Gbam
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by popizaino(m): 7:00pm On Sep 12, 2023
yemmit90:
For Nigeria to have beautiful and organised cities, the right to build structures or buy land must be remove from individuals. Real Estate or construction companies should be the only organisations mandated by law to do so. Flexible Mortgage system must be introduce by banks, government and other financial houses. We are just wasting spaces in the name of building individuals houses, a single condo can accommodate a whole street in some localities. Would it not make sense if 50 people buy a flat each in a building than making useless structures on 50 plots of land or more. No individual or family should be allow to own more than 3 bedroom apartment or duplex if you are rich enough.

By this development, it will be very easy for investors to invest in a massive modern buildings and condos. This will also curb corruption to a greater extent as most of the loots are being spent on properties.

This is a great way to start and by the way did you study Urban and regional planning?
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by yemmit90: 12:31am On Sep 13, 2023
popizaino:

This is a great way to start and by the way did you study Urban and regional planning?

No sir.
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by popizaino(m): 10:14am On Sep 13, 2023
10thTenthMan:

Every town,Every city, in Europe. (Note I don’t call them Developed, as that is relative and if I use my own yard stick to they aren’t very developed).

Each one you see starts first with a conscious effort to have a functional layout for ease of movement for commercial and recreational purposes. They think collectively. Roads, Side walks, tree lines, bicycle lanes, set backs, houses, etc. Neighbourhoods are laid out and planned to the last millimeter. In planning we say “Development that is not controlled leads to Chaos”. That is what Nigeria is. WE DO NOT CONTROL DEVELOPMENT AND IT LEADS TO CHAOS. Whether by Commission or Omissions. We do what we ought not to do and we never do what we ought to do. And when this scenario happens THERE ARE USUALLY NO CONSEQUENCES, AS PEOPLE DO THESE THINGS AND GO SCOT FREE. The problem of Nigeria is therefore simply as this- THE LACK OF TIMELY, RELIABLE, AVAILABLE, AND APPROPRIATE CONSEQUENCES. Why do most Nigerians suddenly become model citizens the moment they land in a foreign airport. Because they know that even if Tinubu messes up, the small police boy will mess him up. So they conform. But the moment a flight lands in Lagos, come and see madness. The same Nigerians who at Schipol were behaving well suddenly know they are back to where nothing happens because there is poor monitoring or where you can easily bribe, intimidate and talk your way out of crimes, offenses and misdemeanors.

In the planning, conscious efforts are put in layouts and zoning, etc. These layouts and zones etc are made, then regulations are also made to ensue it isn’t destroyed. Dos and donts and created to ensure every citizen enjoy the utmost possible services and value from the layout. You just can’t start building shops and kiosks and “batchers’’. In developed countries, They will be taken down and you will be fined. If you don’t tend your lawn in some places, you will be fined. Building designs and safety codes are enforced. ALL Buildings are inspected when built and must pass the inspection.

Look at Abuja today. Military men and politicians in GWARINPA block the sidewalks. Some have fenced their property up to the sidewalks. Some put their trash cans there. A space that is meant for ALL CITIZENS. THE PROBLEM WITH NIGERIA IS LACK OF CONSEQUENCES. Town planning is a government function. When the government fails, who is to be held responsible? Who is to face the consequences?. Hardly anyone does.

A Phasal re-planning and plan reclamation needs to be done. Poverty and economic hardship will be the biggest challenge to this. Because once you start, demolishing is inevitable. People will be rendered homeless and business affected. Hence there must be ways to cushion the effects.
Better enforcements also need to start in controlling newly developing areas in every state.

You should be having a PhD in urban and regional planning. You understand what the problem is and also gave a good solution to the mess. Kudos 👏
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Sharmeenator(m): 9:35pm On Sep 14, 2023
SmartPolician:

Black Africans have low IQ. We can choose to deny that, but facts are facts. The Black Africans lack innovation. That explains why Nigeria hasn't made appreciable progress since 60 years after independence.

It may seems like that, but human population is a mixture of low and high IQs. The difference between our societies and theirs is really not IQ, but the fact that these societies were lucky to have the best amongst them lead and set a good foundation.

Here, we have the worst among us ruling and they have the balls to do and undo. I don't think our generation or next would see a highly developed Africa. It will happen someday, but how we would get there, I can't tell.
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Dyfynezz12(m): 10:00am On Sep 15, 2023
Raydos:

I like people like you, straight to the fact!

This is a fact that 99% blacks don't wanna accept, Their only comeback is "They steal our resources" which still solidify the fact that they outsmart us at everything even at what we know how to do best "STEALING"
God bless u sir for this comment.
Our only excuse in Africa is that the whites steals our resources
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Raydos: 7:30am On Sep 16, 2023
Sharmeenator:

It may seems like that, but human population is a mixture of low and high IQs. The difference between our societies and theirs is really not IQ, but the fact that these societies were lucky to have the best amongst them lead and set a good foundation.

Here, we have the worst among us ruling and they have the balls to do and undo. I don't think our generation or next would see a highly developed Africa. It will happen someday, but how we would get there, I can't tell.

Why does it happen in all African countries? Why are the worst rulling in almost all African countries? At least there should be one successful black country that stands out!! But we have none!

Even far out of Africa, To the carribeans, They have same problem, Jamaica, Haiti e.t.c are trashy countries!

Bro this has to do with IQ

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by radautoworks: 7:16am On Oct 19, 2023
Sochieke:
In my opinion. Nigerians also have destructive mindset and shortcut mindset. Go to Ojodu berger, they refused to use the pedestrian bridge and Instead the destroyed the steel barricades that prevented people from crossing the road on highway just because of short cut. Is that how developed countries behave?

THIS
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by radautoworks: 7:22am On Oct 19, 2023
blueAgent:

More crap as usual.
If you like give Nigeria US annual budget, Nigeria would still remain a 3rd world country.

The root cause of Nigeria and Africans undevelopement is low IQ.
You can deny it as much, as you want, it does not change the fact.

You're mixing up IQ with EQ. The average Nigerian has a low EQ and that's one of the major reasons we don't advance.
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by blueAgent(m): 9:27am On Oct 19, 2023
radautoworks:

You're mixing up IQ with EQ. The average Nigerian has a low EQ and that's one of the major reasons we don't advance.

What is EQ?
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by radautoworks: 7:09pm On Oct 19, 2023
blueAgent:

What is EQ?

Emotional quotient. Measurement of Emotional Intelligence. https://www.helpguide.org/articles/mental-health/emotional-intelligence-eq.htm#:~:text=Emotional%20intelligence%20(otherwise%20known%20as,overcome%20challenges%20and%20defuse%20conflict.
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by blueAgent(m): 7:19pm On Oct 19, 2023
radautoworks:

Emotional quotient. Measurement of Emotional Intelligence. https://www.helpguide.org/articles/mental-health/emotional-intelligence-eq.htm#:~:text=Emotional%20intelligence%20(otherwise%20known%20as,overcome%20challenges%20and%20defuse%20conflict.

That false.

Nigerians and blacks globally have Low IQ.

That has been proven several times.
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by blueAgent(m): 10:41am On Oct 20, 2023
Raydos:

Why does it happen in all African countries? Why are the worst rulling in almost all African countries? At least there should be one successful black country that stands out!! But we have none!

Even far out of Africa, To the carribeans, They have same problem, Jamaica, Haiti e.t.c are trashy countries!

Bro this has to do with IQ

100% correct
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by SuperOnyi: 10:26pm On Oct 20, 2023
dyera:

We are also lazy and lack the desire to improve things around us. The paved streets that existed in Europe and Asia in the middle ages were done not with heavy machinery, but with pure labor force. We have the population, but we are not willing to work. Or maybe we don't have the brain to do so.

shocked

Benin empire and Ashanti empire all had paved road. This dumbos insulting their ancestors but are unable to do better than them are the worst set of fools I've seen.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by GeneralDae: 10:32pm On Oct 20, 2023
blueAgent:

100% correct
So is the supposed low IQ due to the colour of the skin?
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by SuperOnyi: 10:36pm On Oct 20, 2023
Kizyte:
I once tried to fix my street all by myself. I planted some beautiful trees, water them daily, and cleaned up every nook and cranny, but after one month, the Fulanies brought their cows and ate up all the trees I suffered to plant and nurture. They left behind, cow dungs all over the street. cry

shocked

grin
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by blueAgent(m): 1:40am On Oct 21, 2023
GeneralDae:

So is the supposed low IQ due to the colour of the skin?

The colour of the skin is not the reason for low IQ.

It's just an indicator of probably low IQ.
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by SuperOnyi: 4:33pm On Oct 27, 2023
Princewill1:

Lol at investing in education. Evolution will solve that not education. The Black race are intellectually below when compared with other races...that's the bitter truth. Some of us knew this all along but chose to remain mute in other not to anger some persons.

We are still evolving as humans. The black race will later catch up with today's level of the white race intellectually. That's what will solve the problem not investing in education. Lol you and I know that educated people in Africa are fully involved in contributing to our dysfunctional society.

All plants and animals has species and in these species, some are smarter, durable and better than others. These can be seen in dogs, cats, birds etc. Why do people think that this same differences doesn't apply in human?

Species in plants and animals is what we call races in human.

shocked

Comments like this make me shake my head and wish I was never amongst y'all. So, we should wait for "evolution"? Did the Chinese wait for evolution? Did Koreans wait for evolution?

Long before Europeans began to sail all over the world, the Chinese built huge ships that allowed them to go as far as East Africa. But as all we all know, these ancient Chinese guy destroy everything and isolated itself from the rest of the world. It's got to a point they forgotten everything!

One thing you all fail to understand is people have different cultures and it takes cultures coming together for humans to advance technologically because they will all learn from each other. Just like African empires quickly adapted the dane gun and started manufacturing their own guns.

Sub of the Saharan Africa was cut off from the rest of the world, y'all keep insulting these ancient guys but at least they tried to do things their own way. what have we achieved as "civilized" people?

Y'all can keep waiting for "evolution" instead of confronting the problem looking at us. We all saw what Biafrans were able to achieve in three years under heavy bombardment!
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Sladem05: 3:35pm On Jan 02
Raydos:
This is what New York look like in the 1870s

And it's pretty sad that most Nigeria street don't look as organized as this even after 153 years apart!

What you said is so true. This is something that most people don’t actually realise. African Lifestyle and development is identical to what the West was like in the 18th and 19th century which is embarrassing.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Ndipe(m): 1:42am On Jan 03

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply)

Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox / Floods At Lekki Phase I: The Aftermath Of The Heavy Rain On Friday (Pictures) / Ibadan Bound Train Crossing Kajola Bridge. A Once Deeply Forested Area. Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.