Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,413 members, 7,830,095 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:04 PM

Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? - Travel (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? (72163 Views)

Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? / COVID-19: What Economy Class Could Look Like After Virus / US Shares Relief Materials To Nigerians In China Thrown Into The Streets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by yemi1504: 8:56pm On Sep 07, 2023
Raydos:

Even in 1887, it looked more organized than a lot of Nigerian street today!!

And besides, That was in 1887, Show me the same place today, I bet it has been transformed!!

Then show me a streets in Nigeria 70 years ago, compare with today, I bet it still look the same!

Exactly!
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by radautoworks: 8:57pm On Sep 07, 2023
nairalanda1:
I was going to log off nairaland, cos I have some stuff to do, but I came across this guy's thread, and as usual, I was amused at the 'Africans are inferior' schitck that I see on threads like this. It always ends up like this.

So, why do our streets look bad?

Simple .....

onths. Making cities livable and good COSTS MONEY.

God bless you
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by yemi1504: 9:01pm On Sep 07, 2023
Raydos:

Shut the F**k up!!

Countries Like Qatar, Saudi Arabia, UAE(Dubai) Kuwait
e.t.c Are not taxing their people as much and they are growing at a faster rate, They have modern cities and towns

They built all these cities with The revenue they generated from selling crude oil, That's why the middle-east is called "Oil Money" countries

Nigeria has the same Oil, What have we done with it?? The money keep getting Embezzled on a daily basis, Can't even build a working refinery since 1960!

Even if all Nigeria pay their taxes, Which we actually pay, Since they deduct it from salaries as VAT, Even the people in the market selling pepper, rice, foodstuffs are given ticket by the government!!

Even bus conductor, Taxis and okada rider are given tickets, These are tax!!

What have we done with it? They keep looting the money and moving to America to enjoy life!

Stop defending rubbish!!

Abi
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by yemi1504: 9:01pm On Sep 07, 2023
1Sharon:

If they don't want to be told how to spend their money, they shouldn't complain about the conditions based on their money choices.

What people spend their money on says alot about who they are. The only good looking institutions Nigeria can boast about are lavish churches. That indicates what Nigerians prioritise: greed, fantasies and delusions.

Exactly!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by yemi1504: 9:05pm On Sep 07, 2023
Corrections:

Please stop saying because people don't pay tax is the major cause for this. The billions that Nigeria generates from natural resources how have they the leaders been able to manage them? Is it right for some people to pay taxes only for some other in government to embezzle them and still go with little or no punishment?

Great questions to ask!
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by yemi1504: 9:07pm On Sep 07, 2023
blingxx:

I swear, it would have been better if we had an aparthied system like south Africa

Exactly! Now, that same South Africa is a destination for Nigerians despite their xenophobia!
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by yemi1504: 9:08pm On Sep 07, 2023
Raydos:

Bro we can't keep making excuses, Over excuses, Over Excuses, It's not going to get us anywhere

No human will progress in life with that mentality, Even if Our population was 5million and we produce 10million barrels of crude oil per day, I bet nothing will still Change!!

The money will continue to get embezzled, All those Middle-east countries you mentioned are very disciplined and do not tolerate Corruption, That's the reason they progressed!

You can say that again!
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by yemi1504: 9:13pm On Sep 07, 2023
Calitoscassius:
Naigerians were not designed to live in a decent clean environment. Simple!

They are happy living like this.

Gbamsolutely!
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by yemi1504: 9:20pm On Sep 07, 2023
Reinaldo:

Some people are just ridiculously stupid. They think they can support bad leaders and escape poverty. If the country is not developing they will be back to the poverty before they know it.

You can say that again! We all know the reason why they are supporting this useless government, the reason is obvious and it is tribalism as the head of the government is from their tribe.
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by yemi1504: 9:24pm On Sep 07, 2023
Wizardslayer:

I've said it several times in this forum that an average Black man is mentally retarded, let's say mentally sub.

Tell me why do the least fair skin Asians and South America do better than all black nations combined.
To produce a toothpick a white man has to be there for supervision, if not thing won't work.

If you check and balance it all you'll observe that the black man is too good and do much better when it comes to wickedness and corruption.

Most times I wonder if the black pigment on our skin is a spell or a curse. Our way of reasoning is below par, too poor but i think we can do better.

It's only in Africa and Nigeria a people will prefer to suffer to death, by voting a known and certified drug lord and corrupt ridden personality in the name of tribe and religion instead of doing the right thing.

The case with Nigeria is that I've come to conclusion that tribe and religion is making our diversity a curse instead of a blessing to our collective well being.

You can say that again!
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by yemi1504: 9:26pm On Sep 07, 2023
Reinaldo:

Have you seen any development with the taxes paid so far? Stop deceiving yourselves. People are willing to pay taxes in those regions because their systems work and there is transparency.

Exactly! I don't know why you are still replying him.
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by yemi1504: 9:27pm On Sep 07, 2023
Reinaldo:

Sorry, but I'm not interested in saying more. I am already ashamed enough to be on a forum dominated by tribal and religious bigots. Make everybody just dey.

At least, you are not seeing them every day like those of us in the country permanently.
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by quickee: 9:29pm On Sep 07, 2023
Kingosytex:
The streets are like that because the residents want it to be like that cheesy
Just take for instance, here on Nairaland some fools are paid a token to spew all sorts of lie and defend the indefensible, there are so many brain dead people around who are comfortable with maintaining the status quo.
I gave an example with Qatar some time ago and some ignorant folks started spewing trash of how Qatar isn't as populated as Nigeria. Is the problem really population? These looters you all call leaders will squander the resources of Qatar in a twinkle of an eye; it's not about population.

Just watch it, those collecting the money to defend this evil crops of politicians will never die a good death. The evil they support will hunt them till they become miserable. They can never have any good tomorrow since they have eaten all their glory now.

If all the roads of Nigeria were paved with gold, we deserve more than that. But the prodigal children have stolen and wasted the resources and wealth if the nation. So many countries would have ceased to exist if the amount stolen from Nigeria was stolen from them.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by yemi1504: 9:29pm On Sep 07, 2023
shomutuski:

My bro! This question will keep been asked, you know why? Nigeria was never meant to be, that was the first ever problem. We were matched together to drain our collective resources or helped the British control us better. Look at other countries and see how orderly they were as far back as the 60s.

Our leader also continued the same mode of ruling, the colonial masters used, If you deep it; no one gives a fck about the common man in nigeria. even comman man no send him fellow common man. I believe nigeria will never reach its potential until we trace our genesis back to the inception and ask the question- why are we together, what do we hope to achieve as a nation-

Only then i think, things will change but corruption has been institutionalized, its a cancer now in every citizens mind, Nigerians travel out and change, follow systems laid down in other countries think about it?

In my country here, no one sells fuel for you, you go and take it yourself and pay inside the mart, if you run no one will chase you. thats because there is a working system. Nigeria lacks order.

We have to fix the mind before we even think about changing our fortunes. Our country is too complex i tell you, different tribe, different religion. nah that diversity they kill us, truth be told. hausa hate igbos, igbos hate hausas, yoruba despise igbos, igbos despise hausa and I have not even talked about the hate between minor tribes like igala, calabar and others you see.

We need a common identity that all of these factors wont affect, ireland has so many local people but they are irish first before anything. I can keep writing my bro, it shows you how sad i am of my country. Nairaland is closest thing to home for me, but even here sef nah so so hate and tribalism.

Omo Nigeria no fit better oo

Better ke? No bi curse, e no fit happen!
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Mindlog: 9:35pm On Sep 07, 2023
radautoworks:
FINALLY someone recognized Maslow. Thank you

They are at the base, struggling for their daily existence and are least bothered about what their surroundings looks like.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by yemi1504: 9:35pm On Sep 07, 2023
Revolva:

Exactly that is how Nigerians are ...terrible sadist , they dont want you to have what they can afford...Black hearted .....if any person who have this terrible mindset becomes a leader they will impoverish the citizens that is what is going on in Nigeria today

You got it right!
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by yemi1504: 9:43pm On Sep 07, 2023
Angelfrost:

Maybe we should start by not allowing anyone without a well-earned tertiary education to vote in elections...!

That would be a great start.

Will make no difference! The pastors supporting this current government are highly educated people anyways!
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by yemi1504: 9:45pm On Sep 07, 2023
KnownUnknown:

I mentioned that. There is also the compounding effect of poor education, religiousity, and superstitions.

An example is the wife of the governor of Lagos who is allegedly an educated doctor but attributed the death of a person in a faulty elevator to “arrows being fired”. The country is filled with people like her from top to bottom.

An educated actually said that? Maybe the low IQ we have is really true!
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by yemi1504: 9:47pm On Sep 07, 2023
cyrusmillz:

Ara awon were alasho tan so niyi grin grin

Abi o! Awon alainironu ara Galatia! Shior! Tueh!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by yemi1504: 9:49pm On Sep 07, 2023
GeneralDae:

Well presently in Nigeria, Tinubu is the best out of the top three contestants. You would soon see.

Indeed!
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by yemi1504: 9:52pm On Sep 07, 2023
Evolutionlove:

No Single Lie.

This Is 1000% Correct Fact.

It's a SKIN Problem.

Some of Us despite being a Black Human. We have High IQ but We are very Unfortunate to have found ourselves amongst these set of Beings. But the goodnews is we can change the direction of the Tide.

Personally i don't want my Offsprings to carry the Gene of 100% Black Gene. That's if i change my mind about having Kids.

This is the why I hardly interact with Black People, Most especially the Poor Filthy Ones.

Same here especially on the last statement!
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by yemi1504: 9:56pm On Sep 07, 2023
tobstarizhia:
The people I pity the most are those IDIOTS who still believe in God. I mean, most of Asia and the West are either Atheist or believe in some other religion aside monotheism abrahamic religion, yet they are miles better than this cess pit. Most of you fools are so brainwashed that you think your suffering is a test by God

Abi
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by yemi1504: 10:07pm On Sep 07, 2023
DREAMHOMES6970:

I agree with you in terms of infrastructure, human development and technology. You go to places like Marina, yaba etc where the whites resided. Those structures and roads they built are still standing but the ones we build by ourselves doesn't stand stand the test of 10 to 15 yrs and they are already collapsing. Take a look at drainage system for example ...those ones doesn't even last up to ten years and they are already collapsing and filled with trash. God really help blacks.

A black man will collect a contract of 1 billion to tard a road, believe me he will only spend about 300mil. and the rest will go into his swizz account. If a casting was supposed to use 10 bags of cement as seen on the qoutation submitted, they end up using 4 bags. This i have witnessed myself and when the agency to investigate the contract arrive, they quickly take them to somewhere private and hand them a brown envelope, and that's the end. We are actually our own problem

You can say that again!
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Eagba(m): 10:07pm On Sep 07, 2023
oweniwe:

Banana island residents will see themselves as too big to do all that grin

Which health system? When they can fly abroad to see doctor? grin
You just supported my points that as blacks, we lack the will to be organized.
Even if provided with all the wealth in the world

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by asanausana91: 10:07pm On Sep 07, 2023
Yoruba street.
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by radautoworks: 10:07pm On Sep 07, 2023
Mindlog:

They are at the base, struggling for their daily existence and are least bothered about what their surroundings looks like.
not to even talk of self realization
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by yemi1504: 10:12pm On Sep 07, 2023
1Sharon:

The government has already shown you multiple times that they don't care about you. They have left Nigerians to their devices.

Calling on the government, just seems like a cop out.

If Nigerians can regularly buy aso ebi, the recent phones, monthly tithes. They can pool their income together with their community and sort out bad lighting, bad roads.

There is no community spirit and everybody is out for themselves.

As I said before, what people spend on and prioritise shows the kind of person they are.

Nigerians as a collective will rather chase a fantasy than deal with reality on ground. It's their form of escapism.

Nigeria produces the richest pastors in the world, but the general populace is poor.

How is this happening?

No society can ever be successful without the basic institutions in order.

You can say that again!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Mindlog: 10:13pm On Sep 07, 2023
radautoworks:
not to even talk of self realization

Na person whey don chop remain, dey think of self realization.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Obodo999(m): 10:14pm On Sep 07, 2023
HarryGleb:
If the British are still ruling Nigeria it would have been better than what we have now.

The British has never stopped ruling Nigeria
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by klawaaa: 10:17pm On Sep 07, 2023
This question is like you asking why Thief Tinubu is the current president of the country! Ask yourself that question first, and you would understand why Nigeria won't cease to be a third-world country!
Raydos:
I've been to 15 states in Nigeria my whole life, and one thing I always notice is, Untarred roads, Lack of drainage system, Lack of proper planning e.t.c

Which always make me curious, Why does everywhere in Nigeria look like it got hit by a nuclear bomb? Why? Why don't we have modern streets and cities!!

Since the inception of Nigeria, I Don't think we have built any city, And please don't even mention Banana island, It's a piece of crap!!

It's sad that only about 3% of Nigeria is actually developed and the other 97% is just straight up piece of trash!!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Panda7(m): 10:28pm On Sep 07, 2023
these are caused by poor governance and culture 🧫 such poor roads maintenance are not in every state tho.
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by SuccessfulRichi: 10:57pm On Sep 07, 2023
Even China still dey subsidize their industries until they reach the WTO thresholds but common Nigeria don remove subsidy for everything. Who naked swear for Nigeria 😂😂

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply)

My Street Amid Last Day Of COVID-19 Lockdown In Abuja (Photos) / What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? / Photographer Captures Photos Of 'Never Before Seen' Yellow Penguin (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.