Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,296 members, 7,836,296 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:32 AM

After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million - Travel (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million (49186 Views)

Points To Consider Before And After Japa Expedition / Japa: How They Rob People During Day Time In South Africa / JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by tosinhtml: 12:30am On Sep 11, 2023
Procashtips:

Been to Monaco before?

Just go online and get updated.

Habba, the population of monaco is very small. Also discussion about monaco is above my pay-grade please. It requires 500k Euros to acquire residency in monaco. Be serious please.

1 Like

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by IbeOkehie: 12:34am On Sep 11, 2023
ogbonti:

that is why you an immigrant can afford to work a low paying job and send your kids to university and build houses in Nigeria and people born in America will never have anything to their name in all their years in life - becasue you came to AMERICA - and you are seeing opportunity where those born here see challenges and excuses - same for the Chinese and LEBANESE who fly in broke and end up making millions in Nigeria- it is a universal principle - when something is too available to you - you procrastinate and you make excuses, BUT when you pay for it, when you strive to achieve it, you value it - I use to have a friend who made up his mind to return to Nigeria after just staying 6 months here in America - one word by his father kept him going - "who will you tell in Nigeria you went to America and you returned empty handed, son, please stay there and make it, please" - he labored for years - with very little to show for it, while his younger brother was raking in millions as a procurement contractor in Port Harcourt. He is finally in P/H now and he calls me sometimes - He told me the progress he made in P/H in 4 years was way more than the 10 wasted years he spent in AMERICA - let us not even talk about marriage and family life...

grin grin grin grin grin grin How many naija men are happily married in AMERICA ? with all the dollars in their pockets? they even envy regular Nigerians who own POS shops and married the women of their dreams back home - S EX? hmmmmm most naija men in the west do not even get layed
for months by their wives due to stress and issues of living in the western world - GUY chill ooo - we know whats up here oooo

Make I stop - biko, later grin

Marriage and family life is the ONLY point of advantage over diasporans that a Nigerian man resident in Nigeria can reasonably claim, but then we also have to ask about how Nigerian women see the state of marriage and family in Nigeria. A glorious patriarchy is certainly not something an educated, achieving Nigerian woman will brag about.

Again it's a question of PROBABILITIES, where 50% of marriages end in divorce over here, 0.5% of Nigerian adults don't earn over ₦200K or $250 over there. So it's a question of choose your poison. I've lived in Nigeria as a fairly wealthy bachelor and I choose the USA hemlock.

However, we know for a fact that neither Nigerian men or women in Nigeria are as reliable as they used to be. I can tell you stories as bad or worse than anything I've seen here in the USA. And do I need to go into what many of them did in University? It is what it is, life is hard but I think I'll take the USA version of hard any day. And most Nigerians agree, that's why there's long lines at Anglo-Western embassies everyday. We know the pique and jealousy that instigates all these Anti-Jakpa topics.

Good Luck to Nigerians.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by pansophist(m): 2:30am On Sep 11, 2023
Probably never lol.

You will most likely live paycheck to paycheck.

3 Likes

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by NuCypher: 4:13am On Sep 11, 2023
chiself:

Don't be "so many people" be yourself! Find opportunities where others see obstacles. Be the 0.1%ers and not the 99.9%ers.

Life is not easy anywhere, we just have to keep looking for solutions and there are some doing this in Nigeria successfully.
The link below shows Nigerians getting funding for their various start-ups almost every month.

https://search.techcrunch.com/search;_ylc=X3IDMgRncHJpZAMxWEpqY3lyRVRBdVFERFRyakNzR0xBBG5fc3VnZwM5BHBvcwMxBHBxc3RyA25pZ2VyaWEEcHFzdHJsAzcEcXN0cmwDNwRxdWVyeQNuaWdlcmlhBHRfc3RtcAMxNjk0Mzg1NzY3BHVzZV9jYXNlAw--?p=nigeria&fr=techcrunch-s

Again, your usual myopic Nigerian opinion that sees funding money as personal fortune. You get dollars in funding doesn't mean you should pocket it. Funding means nothing if it's not translated to actual success. At least without the founder pocketing venture capitalist money which appears to be the norm in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Grace001: 4:18am On Sep 11, 2023
Princedapace:

And the Nigerians who struggle over there? Who are they?
What u also need to know is that what u kill ur self to do, most whites don't even care. U want to buy house, drive latest car, use biggest phone, buy all the lands, do they care about that that much?

Some of u paint it like every single one abroad has a great life. Come on, a lot of them have spent over 6 years abroad with nothing to show. Still borrow money up and down.
A staff member of mine sold her iPhone few months ago to send the money to her bro abroad to pay off his rent after he couldn't pay. This guy has spent years abroad. Abeggg.

Abroad is great. But u guys should stop painting this image of like once u are there, u have solved all ur problems.
Many Nigerians are still under paid abroad. Stop converting their earning to naira becus they surely would spend their earning over there.

There is no point arguing with you, if you’re in the system you’ll understand. As for your colleagues brother who couldn’t pay his rent, can you tell us which country he is currently ?
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by emmaodet: 5:55am On Sep 11, 2023
pansophist:
Probably never lol.

You will most likely live paycheck to paycheck.

Hmmmmmmmm

This is my biggest fear.
Loving from paycheck to paycheck without any good and effective response to emergencies

1 Like

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by emmaodet: 6:01am On Sep 11, 2023
Kenn55:
After you make the first 100m what next? Make another 100m?
@Raydos, this is what I was trying to talk about in your thread. Every talk or argument about Nigerians is about money, more money, more more money and it ends with money.
Nobody seems to give a damn about any other thing apart from the money they make.
This thread will degenerate into an argument on who makes more money, the stage is set. This is all we care about as a people.

Why are we working in the first place? Is it not to make money? Abi you like to work for working sake?
To make money so as to live a modern good life. Shikena
I don't know about you sha

2 Likes

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by emmaodet: 6:02am On Sep 11, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
I think the better question will be to ask what the value of 100 million will be in six years time and what would happen if you lose your job while in Nigeria and how easy it would be to get another one. 1800 USD isnt a lot or a mind blowing salary

You raised a good point but the question is, if all been equal and both keep their jobs for the next 5 years, how much can each save with cost of living constant for both

1 Like

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by erico2k2(m): 6:04am On Sep 11, 2023
Procashtips:

Not oblivion to these things, just saying death by accident is everywhere.

Our own hotholes is their own slippery roads caused by snow. Snow on the road kills alot too

Overspeeding kills alot of people there too caused by good roads lol.
Comparing Snow with potholes is a joke you know why? Snow has seasons but Potholes do not.As a matter of fact, if it snows you stay at home but with potholes you cant stay at home, so I recon you look for smthng else to compare it with!. Have you driven from Lagos to PH B4? well I have and every time I visit 9ja I have to drive from PH to Warri to see the parents. Its a very nervous drive and that road claims something all the time from my car.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by emmaodet: 6:25am On Sep 11, 2023
Prudency045:
And what is the percentage of Nigerians that will be able to save 1million naira before they die?

grin cheesy

Chaii

Let's close this thread abeg make everybody go home.
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by emmaodet: 6:30am On Sep 11, 2023
etrange:
I've lived in 4 countries, so let me offer my two cents.

First, if you're looking at it from a financial standpoint, those who live in Nigeria and work for organizations in Europe or the Americas are far more gainfully employed than those living in these places (even though those living abroad are more paid than thier offshore counterparts). Even if you spend mindlessly, you'd still likely be very rich cause of exchange rate. If you're single, you'd probably be spending between 5% to 10% of your salary (depending on your level) and the remaining part (which could be more than a million depending on your level) could go to savings and investment. Meanwhile, your counterparts in the Western world will be spending in the currency of the resident countries. Some of them might even be struggling to save after paying monthly house rent of about $2,300 in NY and bills like electricity, water, gas, internet, phone, cable etc. as well as other expenses like transportation, groceries, wears, haircut and entertainment. There's simply no comparison here.

That said, like someone has already mentioned, living abroad isn't all about money for some people. Other factors like amenities, safety, passport (freedom of movement), exposure to diversity and, most importantly, the future of your offspring all come into play. Now, to your question, it all depends on the individual's field, level, the country where they are and the exchange rare at the time. Some countries pay more than others. Some fields pay more than others and advanced/senior professionals earn more than mid level and entry level professionals. So it's not very practical to give a figure. Moreover, people aren't dumb enough to keep compounding money in the bank like that. That's a poor man's mindset. Buying assets that appreciate with time or investing in financial instruments that counters inflation is the only way to secure the value of your money. Finally, whether you move or not is up to you. You might save less (even though you get paid more when you're there), live in a much smaller apartment and deal with the cold weather and racism, but there are benefits like thes ones I mentioned above. It's an individual thing. So take a moment to understand your priorities. And if you're still not so sure, secure a visitors' visa and go see for yourself first (bearing in mind visiting/vacationing in a place is far more fun than actually living there).

Good luck!

Well said
Absolutely correct.
Chaii
Why did I miss this thread ooooo
Saw it but just skipped it that it is one of those threads filled with japa and anti-japa gangs and just don't want to bore myself.
Don't even know what brought me back to it
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Dyfynezz12(m): 7:11am On Sep 11, 2023
franchasofficia:
Nonsense thread to spite reasonable Nigerians that made the bold move to migrate to saner countries for a better life and future.

You that didn't Japa, how long did you take you to make your first 10million Naira?

Some will be deceived by the yeye talk that Dangote is in Nigeria, Otedola made his billions in Nigeria, Mike Adenuga made his billions in Nigeria and other useless talks.

But they forgot that these guys mostly came from rich family backgrounds, some of them studied abroad, some made their seed capital abroad and relocated back to Nigeria and kept shuttling between Nigeria and abroad.

Listen all you young naive Nigerian youths campaigning against Japa, for you to become truly successful and rich in Nigeria, you definitely need to have an abroad experience or connection.

The few Nigerians that made it solely in Nigeria without abroad experience or connect are mostly into frauds, political thuggery, acting as politicians' proxies, thugs, stooges and front. Others are into importation/trading, religious milking of Nigerians using religion and other higihaga.

For you to make it in Nigeria solely by remaining in Nigeria in our today Nigeria require special grace of God Almighty and strong destiny.
100% fact

1 Like 1 Share

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Xtristopher: 8:41am On Sep 11, 2023
Iamzik:

This is beer parlour analysis bro.

Why do you think that people who stay in their country will regret?

Don't mind that guy mentality, is now a regret to stay in your own country
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by chiself: 9:13am On Sep 11, 2023
NuCypher:

Again, your usual myopic Nigerian opinion that sees funding money as personal fortune. You get dollars in funding doesn't mean you should pocket it. Funding means nothing if it's not translated to actual success. At least without the founder pocketing venture capitalist money which appears to be the norm in Nigeria.

You totally missed the point somewhere. Funding money is not personal money indeed. Most of the VC that provide the funds are not sleeping partners and are actually on the board of these companies so there is accountability.

The idea is not just to receive funds but to build something successful to benefit the society and can eventually exit. When it is sold I guess you can make a personal fortune like Shola Akinlade and Ezra Olubi. The company they founded in Nigeria was sold for $200 Million. Of course all of the money is not going into their pocket but Shola did made enough to start Sporting Lagos FC and to acquire a 55% stake in the Danish 2nd division football club Aarhus Fremad.

3 Likes

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Princedapace(m): 9:41am On Sep 11, 2023
Grace001:

There is no point arguing with you, if you’re in the system you’ll understand. As for your colleagues brother who couldn’t pay his rent, can you tell us which country he is currently ?

There are countless homeless people in the USA. When Nigerians say abroad, they say japa.
The one who couldn't pay rent is in Europe. Can't reveal country as this is a public forum. Don't know who is reading.
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Procashtips(m): 10:34am On Sep 11, 2023
erico2k2:

Comparing Snow with potholes is a joke you know why? Snow has seasons but Potholes do not.As a matter of fact, if it snows you stay at home but with potholes you cant stay at home, so I recon you look for smthng else to compare it with!. Have you driven from Lagos to PH B4? well I have and every time I visit 9ja I have to drive from PH to Warri to see the parents. Its a very nervous drive and that road claims something all the time from my car.

But potholes aren't on all roads too na?

You can also decide not to ply the roads with potholes if you can stay home during snow.
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Procashtips(m): 10:36am On Sep 11, 2023
tosinhtml:

Habba, the population of monaco is very small. Also discussion about monaco is above my pay-grade please. It requires 500k Euros to acquire residency in monaco. Be serious please.

But you said the US pays the highest salaries even when there are smaller countries paying better
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by tosinhtml: 11:08am On Sep 11, 2023
Procashtips:

But you said the US pays the highest salaries even when there are smaller countries paying better

As a Nigerian or any African nationality, can you move to Monaco? How many common Nigerians can move to Monaco. We are talking about countries that Africans willing to Japa can move to & that pay good salaries.

Use your sense nau, habba.
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Procashtips(m): 11:47am On Sep 11, 2023
tosinhtml:

As a Nigerian or any African nationality, can you move to Monaco? How many common Nigerians can move to Monaco. We are talking about countries that Africans willing to Japa can move to & that pay good salaries.

Use your sense nau, habba.

Stay one place.

You keep changing the goal post.

I can move anywhere as a Nigerian if I have the means.

Just accept correction and stop trying to be clever by half.

The US is not the highest paying country in the world when it comes to salaries.

I only mentioned Monaco, there are other countries on the list who pay better.

How do you learn when all you do is trying to explain yourself out of a lie?
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by IbeOkehie: 11:52am On Sep 11, 2023
Princedapace:

There are countless homeless people in the USA. When Nigerians say abroad, they say japa.
The one who couldn't pay rent is in Europe. Can't reveal country as this is a public forum. Don't know who is reading.

There's homeless people everywhere. There's middle class comfort everywhere. Good and bad healthcare happens everywhere.

For the person citing startup millionaires, that happens everywhere too.

There's racism everywhere. There's family breakdown everywhere. There's crime everywhere Unemployment happens everywhere.

The issue, the BASIC ISSUE, is preponderance and PROBABILITY. Anyone who can't grasp the logic is uneducated in the real sense of it.

Everyone knows that there's a higher probability of the negatives in Nigeria than in any Anglo-Western nation. That's why migration is a hot topic on Nairaland and those who can't migrate are consumed with rage and jealousy.

If that one doesn't make sense, go and search for Jakpa topics on Nairaland as far back as 2003 or 2007. Find out for yourself the if Nigeria is better or worse since then. My people say if no one gives you advice, advise yourself.

Good Luck to Nigerians.
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Wodu89: 11:58am On Sep 11, 2023
IbeOkehie:

There's homeless people everywhere. There's middle class comfort everywhere. Good and bad healthcare happens everywhere.

There's racism everywhere. There's family breakdown everywhere. There's crime everywhere Unemployment happens everywhere.

The issue, the BASIC ISSUE, is preponderance and PROBABILITY. Anyone who can't grasp the logic is uneducated in the real sense of it.

Everyone knows that there's a higher probability of the negatives in Nigeria than in any Anglo-Western nation. That's why migration is a hot topic on Nairaland and those who can't migrate are consumed with rage and jealousy.

If that one doesn't make sense, go and search for Jakpa topics on Nairaland as far back as 2003 or 2007. Find out for yourself the if Nigeria is better or worse since then. My people say if no one gives you advice, advise yourself.

Good Luck to Nigerians.

I agree with all your assertions so far all along except the one that those who don't travel are filled with envy and jealousy. That's too far Sir

I have never gone beyond Cotonou. All my childhood friends are all fully settled abroad. I've never envied anyone and even give people encouragements to travel abroad. Let's take it easy with the generalization thing. This is why I avoid them to avoid being treated like one envies them. It's wrong to have this mindset we jealous you people because we didn't go out. It's very wrong

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by tosinhtml: 12:02pm On Sep 11, 2023
Procashtips:

Stay one place.

You keep changing the goal post.

I can move anywhere as a Nigerian if I have the means.

Just accept correction and stop trying to be clever by half.

The US is not the highest paying country in the world when it comes to salaries.

I only mentioned Monaco, there are other countries on the list who pay better.

How do you learn when all you do is trying to explain yourself out of a lie?

Oya go to Monaco, you win.
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by sokeril: 1:12pm On Sep 11, 2023
Princedapace:

Mehn, Nigerians are always too, too, too aggressive, insulting and attacking everyone. Typical attributes of bullies. It is really hard to find a Nigerian you could exchange dicussions with online or offline without insult. They are always angry grin
Even driving on the road, always angery and bitter cheesy
You’re very right. One can’t even have decent conversation.
One of the reasons I hardly comment on nairaland. Na so so insults.

2 Likes

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by etrange: 1:17pm On Sep 11, 2023
emmaodet:

Well said
Absolutely correct.
Chaii
Why did I miss this thread ooooo
Saw it but just skipped it that it is one of those threads filled with japa and anti-japa gangs and just don't want to bore myself.
Don't even know what brought me back to it

Japa vs anti-japa grin
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by emmaodet: 1:22pm On Sep 11, 2023
etrange:

Japa vs anti-japa grin

grin cheesy
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by sokeril: 1:25pm On Sep 11, 2023
Fearyourcreator:

Onikure, okanwononibale,oni dagba
Na wao. Are you guys even proud of yourself with all these insults that always come with any conversation?
An educated person being an intellectual should not be engaging themselves in things like this... you can have decent conversation without all these show of shame.
You guys are now cursing each other? On top wetin?
This is not good at all.

1 Like

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by erico2k2(m): 1:38pm On Sep 11, 2023
Procashtips:

But potholes aren't on all roads too na?

You can also decide not to ply the roads with potholes if you can stay home during snow.
On our Highways? in 9ja? 80% of our highways have Crater not even pot holes.
Talking deciding not to ply the plot holes, I assume you do not drive hence you are saying this cos if you do you will agree with me that is ridiculous.

1 Like

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by erico2k2(m): 1:39pm On Sep 11, 2023
IbeOkehie:

DO we have racism in Ghana and Nigeria?

Good Luck to Nigerians.

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by nairamaniac: 2:44pm On Sep 11, 2023
Viccur:
It's ridiculous to save for a long period of time to reach a benchmark. The value of money Is dynamic, the value of 100m today will definitely not be same in 6years, let alone next year. Saving to invest seems to be the best option cos if it goes right, one can amass more than the 100m. Besides, life happens, loss of job, health issues and the likes.

You talk to much for someone that is really this intelligent.

Did the op say "he wants to deliberately save for 6years"?

At times it seems as if some people here can be intelligent and metally-hadicapped at the same time.

What the op is saying is that "IF he decides to save the money he makes for 6years, he would hit a hundred million naira, with the condition that he caters for only himself".

Now it's left for anyone else to say "if I japa, i would save or not-save up to the amount of money in 6years?".

Some people here are already sounding as if the op is comparing a choice to stay in Nigeria to Japa.

1 Like

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Wodu89: 4:03pm On Sep 11, 2023
nairamaniac:

You talk to much for someone that is really this intelligent.

Did the op say "he wants to deliberately save for 6years".

At times it seems as if some people here can be intelligent and metally-hadicapped at the same time.

What the op is saying is that "IF he decides to save the money he makes for 6years, he would hit a hundred million naira, with the condition that he caters for only himself".

Now it's left for anyone else to say "if I japa, i would save or not-save up to the amount of money in 6years?".

Some people here are already sounding as if the op is comparing a choice to stay in Nigeria to Japa.

Thank you
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Fearyourcreator: 4:09pm On Sep 11, 2023
sokeril:

Na wao. Are you guys even proud of yourself with all these insults that always come with any conversation?
An educated person being an intellectual should not be engaging themselves in things like this... you can have decent conversation without all these show of shame.
You guys are now cursing each other? On top wetin?
This is not good at all.
That boy need to be cursed .. nairal was never like this before .. any young boy wey no get respect for someone he does not know go collect curse... Go check most of my first reply to anyone to what I replied... But most of these yeye boys ...

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Inside A Private Boeing 767 Chartered By Saudi Ambassador That Costs N10.8m/hr / See Photos Of Akwa Ibom Air Flights Awaiting Delivery From Canada To Nigeria / What Will You Do if you find your international passport like this? (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.