Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,204 members, 7,822,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:53 AM

After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million (49001 Views)

Points To Consider Before And After Japa Expedition / Japa: How They Rob People During Day Time In South Africa / JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by skj1377(m): 10:33am On Sep 09, 2023
A good professional job will give you a N100million abroad. The exchange rate for Naira is very bad.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by NwaliE01: 10:36am On Sep 09, 2023
Why do you want to know and what will you do with it?
You are looking for someone you can use to feel good right?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by qtx(m): 10:36am On Sep 09, 2023
etrange:
I've lived in 4 countries, so let me offer my two cents.

First, if you're looking at it from a financial standpoint, those who live in Nigeria and work for organizations in Europe or the Americas are far more gainfully employed than those living in these places (even though those living abroad are more paid than thier offshore counterparts). Even if you spend mindlessly, you'd still likely be very rich cause of exchange rate. If you're single, you'd probably be spending between 5% to 10% of your salary (depending on your level) and the remaining part (which could be more than a million depending on your level) could go to savings and investment. Meanwhile, your counterparts in the Western world will be spending in the currency of the resident countries. Some of them might even be struggling to save after paying monthly house rent of about $2,300 in NY and bills like electricity, water, gas, internet, phone, cable etc. as well as other expenses like transportation, groceries, wears, haircut and entertainment. There's simply no comparison here.

That said, like someone has already mentioned, living abroad isn't all about money for some people. Other factors like amenities, safety, passport (freedom of movement), exposure to diversity and, most importantly, the future of your offspring all come into play. Now, to your question, it all depends on the individual's field, level, the country where they are and the exchange rare at the time. Some countries pay more than others. Some fields pay more than others and advanced/senior professionals earn more than mid level and entry level professionals. So it's not very practical to give a figure. Moreover, people aren't dumb enough to keep compounding money in the bank like that. That's a poor man's mindset. Buying assets that appreciate with time or investing in financial instruments that counters inflation is the only way to secure the value of your money. Finally, whether you move or not is up to you. You might save less (even though you get paid more when you're there), live in a much smaller apartment and deal with the cold weather and racism, but there are benefits like thes ones I mentioned above. It's an individual thing. So take a moment to understand your priorities. And if you're still not so sure, secure a visitors' visa and go see for yourself first (bearing in mind visiting/vacationing in a place is far more fun than actually living there).

Good luck!
You nailed it bro!

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by BreconHills(m): 10:36am On Sep 09, 2023
Ajione:
Is not only money that make people japa, some issues are settled, like security good road getting values for your taxes and when children is involved, your children future are secured.
Anybody trying to japa and thinking of becoming a multi millionaire or billionaire Na big mistake. But am sure once you are not lazy you will leave a comfortable life.
With the present situation in this country things are hard, salary Na pie but.
If I come to you now and I said I need 50k will you give me?
I prefer leaving this country than leaving like a prisoner in my own country.

As some one who works from three countries - let me ask a question re bolded - for how long? Few people want to grow old abroad. I advise everyone working outside Nigeria to have a plan for their old age. Uk, US, Canada is not it and time moves very first.

Play the game from the end not from the beginning.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Pootle: 10:36am On Sep 09, 2023
Kenn55:
After you make the first 100m what next? Make another 100m?
@Raydos, this is what I was trying to talk about in your thread. Every talk or argument about Nigerians is about money, more money, more more money and it ends with money.
Nobody seems to give a damn about any other thing apart from the money they make.
This thread will degenerate into an argument on who makes more money, the stage is set. This is all we care about as a people.

sadly the truth, money money money no vacation, no relaxation, no proper foresight, that why a Politian's steal public funds and starch it money somewhere, we jus live for money sad bitter truth undecided

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by 222Martins(m): 10:37am On Sep 09, 2023
I typed my reply to this thread and deleted it after cross checking it. I don't want to end up causing people unnecessary pressure. Whether it takes you 10 Months or 50 Years to save N100M, it doesn't matter. The most important thing is that you live a good, fulfilled life.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Magabush1(m): 10:38am On Sep 09, 2023
It means you earn 1.26m monthly. Bro, you are a big man

Zyxsc:
I'm a software engineer working remotely from Nigeria. I earn a 7-figure monthly salary.
With my salary only (at an average exchange rate of 850/$), it would take me about 6.6 years to save up 100 million, provided I have zero dependents and had to cater only for myself throughout those years. It's quite a naive way to project this though because a lot of things can happen along those years. But it still gives an idealistic comparison base.

So my question goes to Nigerians currently living or have lived abroad. Can you tell us the country, the job title, and how long it would take to save up to NGN100 milliion, assuming you have zero dependents and have to cater for only yourself. Do remember to factor in taxes if any and other living expenses for yourself alone

The reason for my question is not far-fetched. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to sell ones' properties worth milliions just to JAPA and go start over again. Please, refrain from dragging the country's situation into your answer or any other reason to JAPA. Kindly focus on answering the question as best as possible.

Thanks.

6 Likes

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Elvis2kay: 10:38am On Sep 09, 2023
100 million naira kę? Bros T.J who just return from UK after 21 years could only manage to secure a plot of land in Epę for 2.million naira.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by banqalee(m): 10:41am On Sep 09, 2023
https:///It2pZo16ZfdCe9IrWUHAuZ Join this group now and don't miss out on the welfare project avouto commence soon for all Africans!
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by CaptainFM1: 10:41am On Sep 09, 2023
Many Japa will not even make N500k!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Yhemzie(m): 10:41am On Sep 09, 2023
etrange:
I've lived in 4 countries, so let me offer my two cents.

First, if you're looking at it from a financial standpoint, those who live in Nigeria and work for organizations in Europe or the Americas are far more gainfully employed than those living in these places (even though those living abroad are more paid than thier offshore counterparts). Even if you spend mindlessly, you'd still likely be very rich cause of exchange rate. If you're single, you'd probably be spending between 5% to 10% of your salary (depending on your level) and the remaining part (which could be more than a million depending on your level) could go to savings and investment. Meanwhile, your counterparts in the Western world will be spending in the currency of the resident countries. Some of them might even be struggling to save after paying monthly house rent of about $2,300 in NY and bills like electricity, water, gas, internet, phone, cable etc. as well as other expenses like transportation, groceries, wears, haircut and entertainment. There's simply no comparison here.

That said, like someone has already mentioned, living abroad isn't all about money for some people. Other factors like amenities, safety, passport (freedom of movement), exposure to diversity and, most importantly, the future of your offspring all come into play. Now, to your question, it all depends on the individual's field, level, the country where they are and the exchange rare at the time. Some countries pay more than others. Some fields pay more than others and advanced/senior professionals earn more than mid level and entry level professionals. So it's not very practical to give a figure. Moreover, people aren't dumb enough to keep compounding money in the bank like that. That's a poor man's mindset. Buying assets that appreciate with time or investing in financial instruments that counters inflation is the only way to secure the value of your money. Finally, whether you move or not is up to you. You might save less (even though you get paid more when you're there), live in a much smaller apartment and deal with the cold weather and racism, but there are benefits like thes ones I mentioned above. It's an individual thing. So take a moment to understand your priorities. And if you're still not so sure, secure a visitors' visa and go see for yourself first (bearing in mind visiting/vacationing in a place is far more fun than actually living there).

Good luck!
Perfect response to op's question.
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by banqalee(m): 10:42am On Sep 09, 2023
https:///It2pZo16ZfdCe9IrWUHAuZ Join this whatsapp group now and don't miss out on the welfare project about to commence soon for all Africans! Free money for us!
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by juman(m): 10:42am On Sep 09, 2023
How many people in abroad get that amount.
Only few can get that.

With any kind of job four-five years is possible.
But a person with right sense ni o.

3 Likes

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by olisaEze(m): 10:43am On Sep 09, 2023
Omoh if you want to remain in Naija, remain make we hear word! What are you starting over again when you’re employed remotely, abi ure asking for a friend ni?? Other people’s personal decisions do not need to suit you, unless you’re a busybody. The argument you’re looking for will do nothing but prim your ego while life ana gaga. If six years ago the exchange rate was no where near N850/$1, what value do you think that your N100m will have in the next six years?

10 Likes

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by akslink: 10:43am On Sep 09, 2023
Firefyta:
Bro with your 1 year savings you can come up with more than 100 million in way less than 6 years
Think the business way
have you made that 100 million? You people think abroad are still like 15 or 20 years ago where you can get multiple jobs and lower taxes, now many citizens of the country you they go no even get work talk less say you go come get.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by TheFacelessMan: 10:44am On Sep 09, 2023
A friend of mine just said " Going to USA briefly....be back soon" in December 2016. He never returned.

He showed me credit cards that had over NGN 100 million by January 2022.

He is not into crime in any form. He is actually a banker.

He has very well off folks home and away with NO dependents. Just gifts his mum from time to time. He has at least 3 other successful siblings in the US.

For those who want to go - US, Australia, Canada .... in descending order. Most UK folks I know are really struggling.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by juman(m): 10:46am On Sep 09, 2023
Nigeria is good place to make money easily.

1 Like

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Jh0wsef(m): 10:46am On Sep 09, 2023
Lol
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by richard870(m): 10:46am On Sep 09, 2023
Kenn55:
After you make the first 100m what next? Make another 100m?
@Raydos, this is what I was trying to talk about in your thread. Every talk or argument about Nigerians is about money, more money, more more money and it ends with money.
Nobody seems to give a damn about any other thing apart from the money they make.
This thread will degenerate into an argument on who makes more money, the stage is set. This is all we care about as a people.
My kind of person. Kudos!
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by erico2k2(m): 10:46am On Sep 09, 2023
Ajione:
Is not only money that make people japa, s[b]ome issues are settled, like security good road getting values for your taxes and when children is involved, your children future are secured. [/b]
Anybody trying to japa and thinking of becoming a multi millionaire or billionaire Na big mistake. But am sure once you are not lazy you will leave a comfortable life.
Those highlighted words of yours are the true profit of JAPA.
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by tosyne2much(m): 10:47am On Sep 09, 2023
Very funny question!

N100m is about $100k

Even in the US, 90% of people no go smell $100k in their lifetime

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Princedapace(m): 10:47am On Sep 09, 2023
Ajione:
Is not only money that make people japa, some issues are settled, like security good road getting values for your taxes and when children is involved, your children future are secured.

So, every child abroad now has a great future? Like everyone automatically born or raised abroad is sure of becoming rich and useful to the society?
How una dey think sef.
Who are those drug lords in the USA, Europe, crime lords? Smoke addicts? Who are the struggling ones? I know how my whites client laments about life. I know how so many Americans hustles so hard to look if they can attain financial independence but many still can't. That is why inspirational speakers make a living well there.
The way some of u paint this abroad eh, u go think that once u are abroad, all ur problems are done.
Baba, that ur child is raised abroad is not a guarantee that he or she would be a responsible citizen to the society or family.

The way abroadee paint this thing eh. I know some abroad for over 6 years now, they still borrow money from some down here. I even borrowed one money last two weeks.
The koko is anywhere u find ur self, work hard and it can be anywhere.
Some of u even go as far as rubbishing anyone who is not in Europe or America or Canada. Omo, Nigerians have K leg mentality.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by defebe: 10:48am On Sep 09, 2023
Zyxsc:
I'm a software engineer working remotely from Nigeria. I earn a 7-figure monthly salary.
With my salary only (at an average exchange rate of 850/$), it would take me about 6.6 years to save up 100 million, provided I have zero dependents and had to cater only for myself throughout those years. It's quite a naive way to project this though because a lot of things can happen along those years. But it still gives an idealistic comparison base.
Keel deceiving yourself..you don't have anyone you are spending money on, but you had a baba with you girlfriend like 3 years ago, you baba na driver and you no they give am money.. No be only 7 digits you they earn, na 8 digits self...Someone earning 8 digits but na 2007 car or 2.5m he they find
So my question goes to Nigerians currently living or have lived abroad. Can you tell us the country, the job title, and how long it would take to save up to NGN100 milliion, assuming you have zero dependents and have to cater for only yourself. Do remember to factor in taxes if any and other living expenses for yourself alone

The reason for my question is not far-fetched. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to sell ones' properties worth milliions just to JAPA and go start over again. Please, refrain from dragging the country's situation into your answer or any other reason to JAPA. Kindly focus on answering the question as best as possible.

Thanks.
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by seuncyrus(m): 10:48am On Sep 09, 2023
Zyxsc:

With my salary only (at an average exchange rate of 850/$), it would take me about 6.6 years to save up 100 million

Thanks.

Your question is very unnecessary and Childish. You're acting like a child who just got a new car and is now asking why is everyone trekking on foot or taking okada.
People have different reasons for doing what they do. Whether it is to move from the mainland to the Island, from a state to another or even JAPA outside the country. I know someone who left because he got shot when he was robbed. Some just want to experience a new life some want a better life , whether they enjoy it or not is not your business and how much they make along the way is no one's business. Just Hope that Nigeria doesn't happen to you with all your 100 million.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by clinician2x: 10:48am On Sep 09, 2023
Ajione:

Why should he give u 50k?

He has 2 legs, 2 hands, 2 eyes, just like you. So why should he give u 50k.

Wake the fvck up.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by phemmyfour: 10:49am On Sep 09, 2023
Zyxsc:

Thanks.
100million naira is around 100k pounds. That should take me 100000/12000 after tax...
That's 8yrs but if I m taking extra shift, that's 100000/18000, that's around 5yrs

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by erico2k2(m): 10:49am On Sep 09, 2023
TheFacelessMan:
A friend of mine just said " Going to USA briefly....be back soon" in December 2016. He never returned.

He showed me credit cards that had over NGN 100 million by January 2022.

He has very well off folks home and away with NO dependents. Just gifts his mum from time to time. He has at least 3 other successful siblings in the US.

For those who want to go - US, Australia, Canada .... in descending order. Most UK folks I know are really struggling.
If anyone abroad weather US,UK Canada German, any western top countries tell you guys back home that they are struggling or life is hard, just know that Life is only hard when it comes to you not to them DO NOT BE FOOLED. If they say they are broke, just know they are broke for you not for themselves.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by defebe: 10:50am On Sep 09, 2023
Zyxsc:

Thanks.

Keep deceiving yourself..you don't have anyone you are spending money on, but you had a baba with you girlfriend like 3 years ago, you baba na driver and you no they give am money.. No be only 7 digits you they earn, na 8 digits self...Someone earning 7 digits but na 2007 car or 2.5m he they find
[

4 Likes

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Mosba: 10:50am On Sep 09, 2023
Hmmm le me kip kuayet , the next question might be about where you live. Then bring your phone show us your parents number and the next next question could be did you want to see your child again?.........

1 Like

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by erico2k2(m): 10:50am On Sep 09, 2023
phemmyfour:
100million naira is around 100k pounds. That should take me 100000/12000
That's 8yrs
Bro I have smallies here remitting2,5M home each months like this
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Gerrard59(m): 10:52am On Sep 09, 2023
I will come back to this thread in three years time.

That said, it doesn't make financial sense to save 100 million naira (dollar equivalent or naira itself). Even in Nigeria, it doesn't make financial sense. Your money should work for you, rather than you working for money. On the other hand, those who sell off their properties know why they do so, even though it's not necessarily a wise thing to do.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Zuckembego: 10:52am On Sep 09, 2023
Treadway:
Smh.

Simple question was asked. He specified the question and asked/pleaded that answers be limited to that specific question, but trust nlanders not to read simple instructions.

Smh.

That is why most students fail exams even after requesting for an extra sheets.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

The First Airplane And The Wright Brothers – Wilbur And Orville That Invented It / Passenger Bus Falls Into Sinkhole As Calabar/Ikom Highway Divides Into Two. PICS / The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.