Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,630 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:14 PM

The Movement Of The Federal Government From Lagos To Abuja (Videos & Photos) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Movement Of The Federal Government From Lagos To Abuja (Videos & Photos) (29021 Views)

Court Restrains Kano Government From Inviting or arresting Ganduje / Yari: It’s Unfair To Have Leaders Of Three Arms Of Government From The South / Fuel Scarcity In Abuja (Videos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Movement Of The Federal Government From Lagos To Abuja (Videos & Photos) by ImperialYoruba: 5:47am On Sep 10, 2023
5 points to make here.

1. Naptu, again, thank you brother for educating citizens on these rare finds. This is a very good public information piece. God bless you!

2. To the person wondering about Babangida's roots. Information about his parents and early childhood are shrouded in mystery. He is definitely from two closely related ethnic groups. He is certainly NOT HAUSA, though he speaks a version of Hausa far from the Kano or Zaria dialect, both of which are organic tongues of Hausa people. There are hints in his given names to help trace roots.

Ibrahim is generic semitic name and came from him being muslim.

Badamasi is actually Gbadamọsi, a Yoruba name. In the Northern lexicon, "gb" does not exist, and "ọ" is pronounced as "a". So Gbadamọsi is reconstructed to become Badamasi. No other ethnicity or tribe in Africa uses Gbadamosi or versions of it, like Badamasi, beside the Yoruba.

Babangida is a Hausa given name and significant for first son in a family. Because generally Hausa is a lingua-franca of North, even people that are not Hausa often borrow from the culture.

3. Why did Babangida use President for title. When he first took power I believe he did so as Head of State but later adopted President.

I am not certain of the reason, and what I say here is anecdotal, not a known fact. It is plausible though considering other arrangements and drives made by maradona to succeed himself, that he had adopted that title as part and parcel of the strategy to transition from uniform to civilian clothe without leaving the office of Commander in Chief. Just my thoughts, I have no fact to back it up.

4. To the person that said Kano people detested and hated Abacha. Incorrect!

You may have served in Kano, but you are not intimate with the political and traditional affairs of Kano. I will skip giving too much info on this point. In Nassarawa GRA in Kano metro there is a place often referred as layin beriberi. That is, beriberi (Kanuri) line. It is a short street but here are few of the names of people that own mansions on that street.
- Alhaji Waziri, a former presidential candidate in times of Awo and Shagari dem.
- Alhaji Monguno
- Alhaji Dipcharima
- Alhaji Kyari
- General Abacha

When any of them are in town, Kanuri cultural drummers bring their tambari drums and knights from Emir Ado Bayero (rest in peace) palace would mount on horseback all way from Gidan Makama to layin beriberi to deliver good tidings.

It is far from true to say Abacha was not loved by Kano people. In fact he was an adopted son of Kano people.

5. Lagos status, what is the truth? It all has to do with jurisdiction.

There is Eko Federal, there is Eko Ile, there is Lagos, and there is Lagos State. grin. I will tell what each one is.

A
Eko Federal consists of colonial land holdings that passed on to Nigeria when colonial rule ended. At the signing of Lagos Treaty in 1860, all lands were defaulted into crown deeds. The Idejo Chiefs, represented by their leader Olumegbon, refused to recognize Oba Dosunmu's transfer of territorial domains to foreigners. This remained a contention until 1942 when Chief Oluwa contested rights of English Crown to free lands in Lagos. The defaults were reversed and instead became leases. All the domains that made up Eko Federal belonged to six families - Oluwa, Aromire, Oniru, Onikoyi, Ojora, Oloto.

The following modern areas is what was known as Eko Federal - Apapa, Ijora/Iganmu, Iddo, Marina, Olowogbowo, Broad Street (formerly Yakubu Gowon Street), down to CMS, Odan (now Tafawa Balewa Square), to King George VII, across McGregor, Keffi, Awolowo Road, Dodan Barracks, Ikoyi, VI, back to FPH, across Independence bridge to return to Marina. If you are familiar with Lagos you will recognize this is a loop. There is history behind why Apapa, Ijora, Iddo were part of Eko Federal. I will touch on this very briefly.

Apapa, Ijora, Iddo were industrial/trading posts...or mercantile outposts to be specific.
Ships used to berth at Iddo Right across the Iddo train station on the lagoon, used to be a port for small vessels. This was discontinued and converted to waste management depot. For a long time there were rail tracks (discontinued) that ran the length from Iddo terminus to the port on the lagoon. Marina (Quay side) was for ships. After Apapa deep port was completed, quay side was relocated to Apapa. Leventis Brothers, a major retailer, GB Ollivant, and couple of Asian merchants, like PZ, Chewalrams, and so on operated in Ijora, Iddo and Apapa. The treaty of Lagos gave certain waivers to how foreigners would be treated under the Lagos customary laws. Hence, foreigners situate businesses on lands under colonial holdings.

B
Eko Ile consists of Idejo domains where the jurisdiction of customary courts were in effect.
Simply put, this will be entire Lagos Island if you minus Eko Federal.

The combination of Eko Federal and Eko was called Lagos Island. This has been further segmented into new areas but certain traditional domains remain organic.

C
Lagos. This is expansion beyond Eko Federal and Eko into border areas with Western Nigeria.

Western Nigeria started at places like Mushin, Ilupeju, Oshodi, Mafoluku, Ikeja, Ketu, Agege, and so on.

All developed places between Lagos Island and Western region are now called Lagos Mainland. Expansions like Surulere, Iganmu, Ajegunle, Yaba, Sabo, Palmgrove, Akoka, and so on.

So when people in the territory of Western region would say they are going to Lagos they are referring to the combination of Island and Mainland.

D
Certain regions were taken from the administration of Western region and consolidated into new administrative...or native authority jurisdictions.

Now we speak of IBILE - Ikeja, Badagry, Ikorodu, Lagos, Epe. IBILE is Lagos State.

In summary -
Eko Federal + Eko Ile = Lagos Island

Expanded territories bordering Western region = Lagos Mainland

Lagos Island + Mainland = Lagos

All above + reclaimed territories from Western region = IBILE

IBILE = Lagos State.

3 Likes

Re: The Movement Of The Federal Government From Lagos To Abuja (Videos & Photos) by fregeneh(m): 6:19am On Sep 10, 2023
[color=#990000][/color] okey
Re: The Movement Of The Federal Government From Lagos To Abuja (Videos & Photos) by naptu2: 6:48am On Sep 10, 2023
ImperialYoruba

Babangida had the title president from the very first day he was in office. I watched an old TV interview he gave and read an interview that one of his aides gave and they both said that it was not planned but came on the day that he made his first TV broadcast as president. (I also remember that they both said that they forgot the coat of arms that was supposed to be the backdrop and someone had to go back and get it).

His aide said that the title head of state was written in the speech, but Babangida changed it to president. The interviewer asked Babangida why he adopted the title president and he said that there was no deeper reason, that it was just on the spur of the moment.

1 Like

Re: The Movement Of The Federal Government From Lagos To Abuja (Videos & Photos) by naptu2: 6:53am On Sep 10, 2023
It's much easier to find old newspaper interviews than it is to find TV interviews. I found the interview by the aide in seconds, but I can't find the TV interview that Babangida gave.

According to Major Debo Bashorun:

"The coup itself was not a nationalistic one. He was trying to protect his interests by protecting Aliyu Mohammed who later became Chief of Army Staff, among other things......I drafted his first broadcast speech, and contrary to what has been said in some quarters, I believed the idea of calling himself President came to him on our way to NTA. It was unexpected. He altered the word Head of State to president in the car. We even forgot the Coat of Arms needed in the background at NTA. I had to go back to Dodan Barracks to bring it. With us at NTA that morning were Halilu Akilu, John Shagaya and Joshua Dogonyaro" (The News, January 24, 1994)

http://www.gamji.com/article8000/NEWS8121.htm

1 Like

Re: The Movement Of The Federal Government From Lagos To Abuja (Videos & Photos) by Coolgent(m): 7:00am On Sep 10, 2023
kerry57:
Hmmm all for the north to get developed

Bigotry
Re: The Movement Of The Federal Government From Lagos To Abuja (Videos & Photos) by naptu2: 7:01am On Sep 10, 2023
I gave this explanation on another thread many years ago (I'll try and recreate it from memory).

President Babangida is not the first military president. We've had President Augusto Pinochet of Chile, President Fidel Castro of Cuba (this is for those that mentioned communism. Castro was a communist and he had the title of president), President Idi Amin of Uganda, etc.

A kingdom is ruled by a king or queen.
A principality by a prince
A dukedom by a duke.
An empire by an emperor or empress
A republic is headed by a president.

Nigeria is a federal republic.
Re: The Movement Of The Federal Government From Lagos To Abuja (Videos & Photos) by ImperialYoruba: 7:15am On Sep 10, 2023
naptu2:
ImperialYoruba

Babangida had the title president from the very first day he was in office. I watched an old TV interview he gave and read an interview that one of his aides gave and they both said that it was not planned but came on the day that he made his first TV broadcast as president. (I also remember that they both said that they forgot the coat of arms that was supposed to be the backdrop and someone had to go back and get it).

His aide said that the title head of state was written in the speech, but Babangida changed it to president. The interviewer asked Babangida why he adopted the title president and he said that there was no deeper reason, that it was just on the spur of the moment.

Thanks! Like I said, i lacked facts on that subject but good to know from your clarification.

1 Like

Re: The Movement Of The Federal Government From Lagos To Abuja (Videos & Photos) by kerry57: 7:22am On Sep 10, 2023
Coolgent:

Bigotry

Egocentric
Re: The Movement Of The Federal Government From Lagos To Abuja (Videos & Photos) by LagBlogger(m): 7:58am On Sep 10, 2023
9japride:
[color=#006600][/color]

He's Nupe by tribe and they are closely related to Yoruba tribe/culture.

IBB is Gbagi. You can read up his profile.
Re: The Movement Of The Federal Government From Lagos To Abuja (Videos & Photos) by naptu2: 8:03am On Sep 10, 2023
The name Badamosi is not a strange name, even though it often caused controversy in the 1980s (one of my older relatives used to insist that President Babangida was from Ogbomosho). President Ibrahim Babangida is not the only person I know that has that name.

The late Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammadu Maccido, had a son called Badamosi Maccido. That son was a member of the National Assembly, but unfortunately he died with the Sultan in the 2006 plane crash.

There are many other people that bear the name Badamosi. I remember that President Babangida was asked about the name in a TV interview, but I can no longer remember his explanation about the meaning of the name.
Re: The Movement Of The Federal Government From Lagos To Abuja (Videos & Photos) by avidleo: 8:08am On Sep 10, 2023
IBB is Gwari

Nazgul:

He's from Niger state. A pure hausa man by tribe along with Abdusalam.

Abacha was a Kanuri man, while Buhari was a Fulani.
Re: The Movement Of The Federal Government From Lagos To Abuja (Videos & Photos) by avidleo: 8:21am On Sep 10, 2023
Stop your blind argument.

Research on the Okogwu family in Asaba.

Abufo:

her mother was igbo abeg,,,,,,,she was a civil war trophy!
Re: The Movement Of The Federal Government From Lagos To Abuja (Videos & Photos) by 9japride(m): 8:27am On Sep 10, 2023
LagBlogger:

IBB is Gbagi. You can read up his profile.
[color=#006600][/color]

I don't think so, please try confirm yourself. Gbagi is in Niger state, but IBB is Nupe.
Re: The Movement Of The Federal Government From Lagos To Abuja (Videos & Photos) by slowice(m): 2:59pm On Sep 10, 2023
complexstuffs:

Stop deluding yourself and believing the silly lies told on those your Igbo WhatsApp fora.

IIGB0S are the official gutters of Nigeria and the last general elections should have told you that. Even when the Pandora criminal tried to whip up religious sentiments, it lead him only to everlasting disgrace and shame

The epistle of a man who love and support a narco bagman. You may be a junkie yourself so I get the ranting..... Just don't run mad sooner🤣🤣
Re: The Movement Of The Federal Government From Lagos To Abuja (Videos & Photos) by complexstuffs(m): 4:32pm On Sep 10, 2023
slowice:

The epistle of a man who love and support a narco bagman. You may be a junkie yourself so I get the ranting..... Just don't run mad sooner🤣🤣

Keep hallucinating

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Army Holds Private Burial For 100 Soldiers Killed By Boko Haram / Senator Bassey Albert's (OBA) Handshake With A Supporter (Photo) / Presidency: I Won’t Spend Two Years Trying To Decide What To Do - Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.