Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,729 members, 7,817,001 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:38 PM

The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold (12375 Views)

Prophetess Wields Gun While Praying In Tongues In Church (Video) / 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by nizelgirl(f): 1:07pm On Sep 10, 2023
flexyrule:
Growing up as a baby Christian. I was taught that the gift of speaking in tongues comes as an evidence of the fullness of the Holy Spirit.

In Deeper Life Bible Church where I grew up, speaking in tongues wasn't common back then (1993 to early 2000's), and their doctrine specified the steps in attaining that feat...

1. Being born again
2. Sanctification
3. The baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Sometime in 2005, I attended a service at one of these Y2K churches and the pastor said he wants to give us (first timers) a gift... - The gift of speaking in tongues.. grin grin grin

I was confused. I thought this highly sacred gift comes after months of undiluted committed relationship with the HOLY Spirit?

So how then are we gonna obtain it at a promo price today? Well, I was in for the show. So I waited to see how is it being done.

Pastor, asked us first timer to step out, and then laid hands on each first timer, some fell, others started vibrating and speaking in tongues I didn't understand...

He didn't even lead us to Christ, nor authenticate the status of the bodies he was about transmitting this "Sacred gift" to..

When it got to my turn, I was keen to experience how this gift would be downloaded into me, from their servers without passing the prerequisites.

Man of God, laid hands on me, and kept pushing me to fall. Well, I kept going backwards till we reached the church entrance, then pastor obviously sensed that this one won't fall ooooo. Then he left me......

It was a funny experience though. I tried to get the guy who invite me to their service to elucidate on how the gift of speaking in tongues was processed and transfered to first timers in their church, he kept mentioning the name of his GO in his explanation, rather than referring to the Bible. I just knew that those ones don't know what they were doing.

I love this one, your my kind of person. If you do anyhow, you see anyhow.
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Abifarin16: 1:10pm On Sep 10, 2023
[quote author=Chetas81 post=125697816]Does the British citizen that brings this religion to us speak in tongues,I come in peace [/quote

People spoke in tongues before the Brit brought Christianity. The being of the New Testament Across of the Apostle: that were people start praying in tongues.
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Abifarin16: 1:20pm On Sep 10, 2023
People who cannot pray for 15 minutes straight in words are criticizing speaking in tongues. I have seen the place were a newly converted person in a village where there is no road and they fetch water from Mike's away from a stream was told about Jesus Christ, she accepted and was prayed for and the person blasted in tongues.

The problem with most of us Christians we don't understand spiritual things, person wey Na only on Sunday's e dey manage study Bible. And the study of for argument not to gain understanding. Read books about your faith and about the topic then you will understand that is simply than you make it up to be.
Because one sins so he should'nt pray in tongues.

If you have not built your prayer life to that level don't criticize unnecessarily.

When Hannah was praying for a Child the prophet Eli thought she was drunk.

Problem never hit you, when you don't use words tire the spirit go loosen you tongue.

In her case her co-wife was having children and she was'nt do you know what that means tobacco women?

Their is very little about spiritual things that post of you know and with this arrogance and excessive criticism you will not know much.

Their is no one more blind than he that will not see.
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Originalsly: 1:36pm On Sep 10, 2023
flexyrule:

Man of God, laid hands on me, and kept pushing me to fall. Well, I kept going backwards till we reached the church entrance, then pastor obviously sensed that this one won't fall ooooo. Then he left me......

grin grin grin grin bro ... you have me crying! Why you embarrass the GO??... should've just grabbed his necktie then fall violently dragging him down then start talking in tongues.... strangle his ass!

@ topic. Doesn't the Bible specifically say if someone gets up and speaks in tongues there should be someone to interpret what he is saying? Anyone doing otherwise is going directly against God's instructions. How can one know this and believe that such a person ... going against God's word is of God?

Take ot or leave it ... any church where the pastor speaks in tongues and no one interprets what he is saying ... run ... he is not of God period.
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by NoToPile: 1:41pm On Sep 10, 2023
I thought speaking in tounges was holy spirit inspired Infact it is inspired by the holy spirit.

Abifarin16:
People who cannot pray for 15 minutes straight in words are criticizing speaking in tongues. I have seen the place were a newly converted person in a village where there is no road and they fetch water from Mike's away from a stream was told about Jesus Christ, she accepted and was prayed for and the person blasted in tongues.

The problem with most of us Christians we don't understand spiritual things, person wey Na only on Sunday's e dey manage study Bible. And the study of for argument not to gain understanding. Read books about your faith and about the topic then you will understand that is simply than you make it up to be.
Because one sins so he should'nt pray in tongues.

If you have not built your prayer life to that level don't criticize unnecessarily.

When Hannah was praying for a Child the prophet Eli thought she was drunk.

Problem never hit you, when you don't use words tire the spirit go loosen you tongue.

In her case her co-wife was having children and she was'nt do you know what that means tobacco women?

Their is very little about spiritual things that post of you know and with this arrogance and excessive criticism you will not know much.

Their is no one more blind than he that will not see.

This scenerio is not what the OP is portraying, obviously the holy spirit descended on the new convert.

He's not criticizing speaking in tounges, if you have not experienced what he's saying you might not understand. You are talking of the proper way it is and it should be.

Heck people even use tounges as a form of exclamation or interjection during normal discussion. I Don hear orishirishi from people and I wonder and it's mostly New generation church people. My neighbor is an example.

There was a day I was in awe, we were pricing meat at the bustop and this woman and 12 year old daughter came to buy, she was on a Programe speaking in tounges, also at the same time signaling to the girl to tell the meat seller it's 10k last she will pay for the meat grin she would move up and down speaking I tounges maybe it's zoom Programe sef I don't know. Na so I just dey look in wonder, the whole scenerio was a terrible one.The meat seller kuku said let her finish programme.

1 Like

Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Fredoh(m): 1:42pm On Sep 10, 2023
ebubeson:
We have several verses of the scriptures on speaking in tongues 1 Corinthians 14:2 is one on them.

Today, we have problem in various churches concerning speaking in tongues, and the issue of speaking in tongues have been abused by so many people.

My neighbor speaking in tongues‼️

Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by BeigJawnson(m): 2:07pm On Sep 10, 2023
vicardino:
Not the same, you can teach Christias how to speak which is a simple thing to do. Basically, you open their eyes to what being born again means, what transpires when a man gives his life to Christ, the complete package of salvation and finished works of Christ that is given to a new convert. A new Spirit is given to every believer at conversion and the Spirit is the Holy Spirit residing in you. This Spirit is a person that speaks, has emotions, he knows more than you and even helps you to pray correctly. How to then speak in his language? Spend time with him in fellowship, he's in you together with his language. Nothing is coming from outside or from heaven, he's inside of you. He gives you utterance but you have to open your mouth and speak. He won't force you to speak, he's not a bully. He supplies what to say but you do the saying. This understanding makes it easy for believers to speak in tongues. Have I taught anyone what to say here? NO.

Okay ... Thanks for this. Please can you explain the meaning of this statement "please if you know you want to learn to speak in tongues, wait behind?
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by joewychampion(m): 2:18pm On Sep 10, 2023
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Finessetraders(m): 2:20pm On Sep 10, 2023
Chochovini:
Any speaker in tongue that‘s not the Holy Spirit that‘s leading Him or her is merely blasting nonesense. No apology.

Any tongue that does not have an interpreter is a mere cacophonous Noise. Again, No apology.
Ok, Check this out;- what really is
“bababababababa-yayayayayaya-mamamamama RUBISH.
Which tribe on the Earth speaks like that if I may ask?

There are different types to it. The 'tribe' thing you mentioned is that of men.

And again, when a baby starts pronouncing thier first words, they go dadadada.. etc so it's not rubbish especially if it's the Holy spirit giving the utterance. Some may remain like that if they don't grow.

My 2 cents of course!
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Oxb90: 2:25pm On Sep 10, 2023
tunjijones:

What is the essence of speaking a language that you don't understand and nobody around you does.

It's nonsense.

The first time people spoke in tongue in the bible, people around were surprised how come Peter understood their language.

Speaking in tongues is ment for envegelism, when you go and preach to people that you don't understand their language. The holy spirit will make you speak their language without you knowing.
God bless you for me. You know exactly the origin of speaking in tongues and the reason for it.
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Beey(f): 2:30pm On Sep 10, 2023
Justbeingreal:
Like I said up there one day we all are gonna get tired of deceiving ourselves.

Hypocrites..
Call me whatever you like. I did not write the Bible.😂😂. I think you are the biggest hypocrite for trying to have people think only your way is right.
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Chochovini: 2:33pm On Sep 10, 2023
logicalhumour:

LOL. You're wrong. Tongues do NOT need interpreters because it is actually the language of those you're speaking to! Don't you read the Bible?

If the Holy Spirit sends you to a core northern state that only understand hausa, and you don't. The holy spirit can move you to start speaking hausa on getting there. That's the whole point. That's why I can beat my chest and tell you all the "Tongues" you hear in churches are fake and unnecessary. Period.
. Logicalhumuor, YOU ARE VEEEERY WRONG. I can assure you from the Holy Bible that speech in tongue MUST have an interpreter.
To butress my point, pls check
1 Corinthians 14:27-28.

Again, speaking in tongue must have a meaning not all thoses blablablabla nonesense noise they makes in some Churches these days. Pls read Acts 2;2-4, & 6-12. and clear you doubt.

Speaking in tongue MUST be as the SPIRIT gives utterance. Not just any gibberish nonesense noise just to make you appear spiritual when you are still swimming in deep sin.
Who is decieving who?
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Chochovini: 2:40pm On Sep 10, 2023
Finessetraders:

There are different types to it. The 'tribe' thing you mentioned is that of men.

And again, when a baby starts pronouncing thier first words, they go dadadada.. etc so it's not rubbish especially if it's the Holy spirit giving the utterance. Some may remain like that if they don't grow.

My 2 cents of course!
. I tatally dis agree with you. Tongues MUST have a meaning in one tribe or the other. To buttress my point, pls read Acts 2 v 2-4 then vs 6-12 and clear your doubt.
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Hermaphrodite2: 2:53pm On Sep 10, 2023
Omo
Just try NCCF
I stayed there for 2 good months. They tried all they could do for me to speak in tongues. I didn't at all. Later I just have to leave for peace to reign in the house. They were seeing me as the devil because I couldn't speak in tongues.

I always tell them, it is involuntary action.
They continue to pressurize me to just start praying in tongues. It got to a time when the papa called me that I am drawing them backwards during prayers cos I am not flowing with them.

Can you imagine, prayer for offering people will just start kabashing. I wonder how they do it
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Menclothing: 2:56pm On Sep 10, 2023
Wow

Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by xproducer: 3:32pm On Sep 10, 2023
Indeed...

"Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophesying is not for unbelievers but for those who believe. Therefore if the whole church comes together in one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those who are uninformed or unbelievers, will they not say that you are out of your mind? But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an uninformed person comes in, he is convinced by all, he is convicted by all." -1 Corinthians 14:22-24

"I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification." -1 Corinthians 14:5

Speaking and preaching the word of GOD / the Bible is prophecy... which is greater than the sign of speaking in tongues (which is prayer to GOD in an unknown language).

"And I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, “See that you do not do that! I am your fellow servant, and of your brethren who have the testimony of Jesus. Worship God! For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.” - Revelation 19:10
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Justbeingreal(m): 3:34pm On Sep 10, 2023
Beey:
Call me whatever you like. I did not write the Bible.😂😂. I think you are the biggest hypocrite for trying to have people think only your way is right.
Check the hypocrite there's an "s" I wasn't even referring to just you naturally most humans are hypocrites so rest y'all should continue deceiving yourselves..
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by OyinO: 3:38pm On Sep 10, 2023
Every tongue spoken should have an interpreter and interpretation. Only in Nigeria you hear katakatakatakata santalabosh.... Papaapapapa, lalalalala, kakakakakakaka rubbish. Meaningless blabbing. Vanity and noise-making are the endemic trademarks of Naija Christendom and even Islam.
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by fykes(m): 3:51pm On Sep 10, 2023
Ignorance plenty here.

I cant imagine how religious folks so boldly talk ignorantly of what they have no inkling about

3 Likes

Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Omotakins(m): 4:04pm On Sep 10, 2023
Scatterscatter:
The comments here shows so many "Christians" still lack knowledge about the things of the spirit.

My sincere prayer is that may God give you all enlightenment.
Thank you very much. They spoke in line with their limitations. I won't say more
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Naijanascam: 4:19pm On Sep 10, 2023
maureensylvia:

It's not a scam sir
I actually have a problem with it when one just start speaking in tongues like that

Speaking in tongues is influenced by the holy spirit that you wouldn't know where you are.
The person is unaware of his environment

I only have a concern where people will start speaking in tongues immediately without prayer

Speaking in tongues has not helped any society....... and it can never do
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Afobaba33(m): 4:21pm On Sep 10, 2023
Oga OPS, how is speaking in an unknown tongue a problem?
All I can see is that you are the problem
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by vicardino(m): 4:28pm On Sep 10, 2023
Mt brother, I can't be able to expressly explain what the announcer could have meant by that. It could be that he worded what he meant wronly or that he meant what he said the way he said. I think this announcement is too vague to draw a conclusion
BeigJawnson:

Okay ... Thanks for this. Please can you explain the meaning of this statement "please if you know you want to learn to speak in tongues, wait behind?
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by soccerlite: 4:57pm On Sep 10, 2023
All your reason are like academic postulation, nothing biblical

Human fabrication

Avoid sin and stand strong in faith nothing more
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by soccerlite: 5:00pm On Sep 10, 2023
maureensylvia:

It's not a scam sir
I actually have a problem with it when one just start speaking in tongues like that

Speaking in tongues is influenced by the holy spirit that you wouldn't know where you are.
The person is unaware of his environment

I only have a concern where people will start speaking in tongues immediately without prayer

Why do you have concern

Who told you to have concern

You people are funny
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by maureensylvia(f): 5:04pm On Sep 10, 2023
soccerlite:

Why do you have concern

Who told you to have concern

You people are funny

Happy Sunday 😊
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Shawl001(m): 5:27pm On Sep 10, 2023
It were better you didn't dabble into this matter.
Its beyond you and it's not within your scope to understand it.

Firstly,
It's a language, a heavenly language at that.
Its different from speaking in divers Tongues. We've thrashed this out here, countless times.
Secondly,
When you pray in Tongues, it's a communication with the Spirit of the Father...and your spirit. The loudness doesn't matter. It flows from the heart and not the mind. It's a heart to heart communication with God.
Also,
We can use it in the place of groaning in the Spirit, that is, praying in the Holy Ghost.
That's why, you hear certain persons shouting like "mad Men" as you have all right said. They pray from within. It's like you trying to let out fire out of your belly...you don't take it lightly at all.

Lastly,
You will never see or hear anyone who has matured in these realms have issues with this subject...no!
Its NEPIOS who always have issues with it.

P.S
I used to have issues with it too, but then, after I "grew up", I had better understanding.
I pray that the Lord will grant us better understanding on this subject in Jesus name.
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Kobojunkie: 5:36pm On Sep 10, 2023
Chochovini:
Any speaker in tongue that‘s not the Holy Spirit that‘s leading Him or her is merely blasting nonesense. No apology.

[s]Any tongue that does not have an interpreter[/s] is a mere cacophonous Noise. Again, No apology.
Ok, Check this out;- what really is
“bababababababa-yayayayayaya-mamamamama RUBISH.
Which tribe on the Earth speaks like that if I may ask?
You basically described every single "tongue" speaker in your churches including your every pastor and mogs. So, where do you go from here? I hope it means you are abandoning religion altogether. grin
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Chochovini: 5:53pm On Sep 10, 2023
Kobojunkie:
You basically described every single "tongue" speaker in your churches including your every pastor and mogs. So, where do you go from here? I hope it means you are abandoning religion altogether. grin
. Wait a minute, I ould like to know, are you a Christian or a muslim to begin with?
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Finessetraders(m): 6:06pm On Sep 10, 2023
Chochovini:
. I tatally dis agree with you. Tongues MUST have a meaning in one tribe or the other. To buttress my point, pls read Acts 2 v 2-4 then vs 6-12 and clear your doubt.

This isn't how to learn. Nobody knows it all.
If you hear or see something you aren't certain of, do you findings Before placing emphasis on "must''

Photo 1: 1 Cor 14:2.
It is clearly stated that no man understandeth...
This alone puts out your idea that the language must have an originating human tribe.
Again, see the use of the word "tongue" ..it's singular.

Photo 2: 1 Cor 13:1(NIV)
Check the usage of the word "tongues". It's plural; more than one. Furthermore, Paul goes on to differentiate them with the conjunction "or"
Other translations used "tongues of men and of angels"

I hope this helps

Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Kobojunkie: 6:09pm On Sep 10, 2023
Chochovini:
. Wait a minute, I ould like to know, are you a Christian or a muslim to begin with?
Why does any of that matter as far as the decision you ought to make for yourself given what you now know? undecided
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Chochovini: 6:21pm On Sep 10, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Why does any of that matter as far as the decision you ought to make for yourself given what you now know? undecided
. So you are not even a Christian yet you have the timerity to delve into Christian topic? And as if that was not enough, you went ahead to start interrogating me when under normal circumstance, you are not surposed to. You know what? Bleep out of my mentions this minute.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Singles: The Solution To Your Body Pain Is Not Sex - Pastor Paul Rika / Reasons Why Jesus Christ Never Existed / Who Is Your Favorite Biblical Character and why

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.