Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,938 members, 7,835,126 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:19 AM

Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? (17051 Views)

Jimmy Odukoya Defends His Decision For Dreading His Hair & Wearing Earrings(vid / Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? / Can A Genuine Christian Become A Billionaire? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by jheaboiy(m): 8:38pm On Sep 17, 2023
godofuck231:
If Sampson, moses and elijah in the bible had dreds who will say otherwise, except a white man who needs to turn us away from who God truly is , any black man and holy man who is spiritually gifted with strength and ruggedity does not cut his hair, its a pact between him and his God and the physical strength of these men are nothing to contest with

How do u know they have dreads ...
Mere believing all those wrong videos of the prophet of Jesus
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by FarmTech(m): 8:46pm On Sep 17, 2023
Botragelad:

I just gave the meaning of the Bible passage. Those who plait their hair are not a stumbling block to anyone who desires to do the same. Men and women are free to choose how they want to look, as long as they are not hurting or harming anyone. It is not sinful to have a different style or preference. It is sinful to judge or condemn others for their appearance or choices(bible)

You're also ignoring the context and the message of the Bible verses you quoted. Those verses are not about plaiting hair or looking like women. They are about being sensitive and respectful to others who have different opinions or convictions on matters that are not essential to salvation.

You're missing the point of the examples I gave you. I'm not saying that ancient Egyptians, Greeks, celebrities or anyone else are Christians or godly. I'm saying that plaiting hair is not a sign of being a woman or a homosexual. I'm saying that plaiting hair is a common and normal practice in many cultures and times. I'm saying that plaiting hair is not a moral issue, but a personal one. Why's that so hard for you to understand?

They are a stumbling block. Just as a woman who dresses half naked is a stumbling block to men who will lust. And it is not sinful to judge such evil. But I condemn no one. I leave that for God.

If u love ur neighbour as urself you will not lead them into sin. I repeat, a man trying to look like a woman is an abomination b4 God. Whether it is in dressing or hair style. If your type become a church leader ehh, hmm. If many christian men start plaiting hair do u know the consequencies? Pls don't encourage what u cannot stop. The world is bad enof as it is. Redeem the time for the days are evil.
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Fearyourcreator: 9:05pm On Sep 17, 2023
Wisereborn:

Them plant your placenta for there

If your spirit no accept am, move!

The time we should spend communing with God Almighty, we spend judging others undecided

Hmmmm it is well
You didn't answer my question but saying am judging
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by thinkmoney(m): 9:07pm On Sep 17, 2023
Botragelad:

Read carefully, learn to space and understand before responding to my messages. You do not really understand fully my argument or basis for my response.

You're missing the point of the example of Moses in Egypt. I'm not blaming Moses for how or where he was born. I'm saying that his appearance was not a deliberate choice to identify himself with a certain group of people. He was not trying to look like an Egyptian or a Hebrew. He was simply wearing what was normal and expected for his social status and background. He did not know his true identity or purpose until God revealed it to him later in his life. His appearance was not a sign of his faith or obedience to God. It was rather a result of his culture and education.

Secondly, you're misunderstanding the role and relevance of the Old Testament commands for people who choose them today. I'm not saying that they are all irrelevant or invalid. I'm saying that they are not all applicable or binding for all Christians in all times and places. They were given to a specific people in a specific context, and they have to be interpreted and applied accordingly. Some of them have been fulfilled or abolished by Christ, such as the ceremonial laws and the civil laws. Some of them have been reaffirmed or modified by Christ, such as the moral laws and the love laws. Some of them have been clarified or expanded by Christ.

The Old Testament is still useful and valuable for the Christians today, as it reveals God's character and plan, and it points them to Christ. But it is not the final or complete revelation of God's will and word. You have to read it in light of the New Testament, which is the fulfillment and interpretation of the Old Testament. They have to follow Christ, who is the perfect and ultimate lawgiver and lawkeeper. *Bible*

Mate, you're misapplying the verse from Hebrews 12:1 about the cloud of witnesses. I'm not saying that you should not care about how others view you. I'm saying that we should not be influenced or intimidated by how others view you. The cloud of witnesses are not the people around you who may judge or criticize you for your appearance or choices. They are rather the people before us/them who have lived by faith and obedience to God, and who have finished their race successfully. They are not examples of how people should dress or fashion ourselves. They are examples of how people should trust and follow God.

The verse is not telling you to be careful and live our lives in a way that shows as a sacrifice acceptable to God. It is telling you to throw off every weight and the sin that easily entangles you, and to run with endurance the race that is set before you. It is telling you to focus on Jesus, who is the author and perfecter of your faith, and who endured the cross and despised the shame for your sake. It is telling you to live by faith and obedience, not by sight and opinion.

It doesn't give us any specific instructions or examples. It doesn't say that you have to look like Egyptians or Israelites or Yahoo yahoo, whatever you call it people or Matthews. It doesn't say that you have to follow the trends or the traditions of your society. It doesn't say that you have to please ourselves or others with your dressing or fashion. Simple sense! Read to assimilate and learn, resist the urge to argue blindly!
I was eating when I typed my last response. Still, I understand you, you are the one that seems not to really understand me.
I point out a lesson from the incident that surrounded Moses escape. I do not blame him for how he was before then or do I accuse you of blaming him. The lesson (please this is my point) is that appearance matters. Moses was ADDRESSED based on how he was DRESSED (regardless if he dressed that way intentionally or not. Regardless if the situation was forced on him or not).
Thankfully, Moses left the way of life of the Egyptian, though a very hard decision. He left and adapted to the ways of the chosen of God. A kind of conversion. He like many people that do not know how to dress or behave was born into a culture and a lifestyle, but in a bid to please God, he left the culture and lifestyle. This is my point.
In matters of dressing and like in our other behaviors, the Bible’s take as can be deduced from a lot of examples and incidents in the Bible is that we should dress in a way that we do not appear to conform to the world.
You might be scratching your head and wonder what other incidents are there in the Bible that one can deduce bible stand from? There was this king of Judah that was nearly killed because soldiers were looking for the king of Israel in battle to kill him. But then, the king of Israel was wise and he had disguised himself while the allied king of Judah foolishly went into the thick of battle with a regalia that pointed him out as a king. Now like the case of Moses, I do not in anyway fault that king really, still, a lesson can be deduced from the incident and the lesson is that the way you appear or the way society relate your appearance with matters.
Second, it’s obvious that you are knowledgeable. I still should emphasize it to you that while the Old Testament laws were given to Israelites in a specific context, God in his wisdom fashioned out the laws in a way that they mostly still do apply now. Besides, Christians are the inheritor of the promise to the then Israelites. If Christians as the modern Israel of God are the inheritor of the promise, they are then consequently the inheritor of the laws.
I am flexible and I make necessary adjustments when I see were I make mistakes. I want you to have the same attitude. You are right that the witnesses are Israel forebears and champions of faith that had lived exemplary lifestyle, still you can’t leave by faith if you do not consciously strife to show loyalty to God and knowledge and obedience to his word by walking and living in a way that glorifies God even among the people.

1 Peter 2:11,12
Beloved, I urge you as foreigners and temporary residents to keep abstaining from fleshly desires, which wage war against you.
Maintain your conduct fine among the nations.

1 Timothy 3:7
Moreover, he should also have a fine testimony from outsiders so that he does not fall into reproach and a snare of the Devil.

The two following bible portions I will leave should show you that you must be careful even about peoples opinion, not in a negative way or in a way that will cage you, but the care should be that it will always make you conscious of living a life that glorifies God and evangelize to people. If they can’t hear the word from you let them at least see the word (of God) in your attitude and modest appearance.

Acts 22:12
“Then a man named An·a·niʹas, a devout man according to the Law, well-reported-on by all the Jews living there. [note the well reported].

1 Thessalonians 4:11, 12
Make it your aim to live quietly and to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we instructed you, so that you may walk decently in the eyes of people outside and not need anything. [note ‘walk decently in the eyes of people OUTSIDE].
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by SeriouslySense(m): 9:11pm On Sep 17, 2023
You know the answer. I am not ready for a long debate cheesy cheesy.

We can agree to disagree.

Glory2DLamb:

What is SIN?
And who is defining it, society or scripture?
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by godofuck231: 9:11pm On Sep 17, 2023
jheaboiy:

How do u know they have dreads ...
Mere believing all those wrong videos of the prophet of Jesus
if you are not enlightened you will never know the difference between light and darkness
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by godofuck231: 9:15pm On Sep 17, 2023
Thomasankara:
[/color]that's white garment church Orientation[color=#770077]
the oldest church in the world is still in Africa, we Africans lost many information in mali and the library in alexandria which got burnt by the whites trying to Bury the facts of Christianity, its was called the great white wash (brainwash) mention anything concerning history /Christianity from african and be burnt at stake as a heretic
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by omojeesu(m): 9:16pm On Sep 17, 2023
Wrong question!

Should they?

There are Christians & "Christians".

There are serious (spirit-controlled) Christians and unserious (carnal, flesh, body-centered & body-controlled) ones.

End times things!
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by godofuck231: 9:19pm On Sep 17, 2023
Sacrednes:
watin you dey talk boss??
Them dey talk plait you dey talk cut hair.
Samson case was an instruction from God
no it wasn't restricted to Sampson alone , many were dreaded , its a religion inside Christianity, especially from ancient Ethiopia where Christianity actually originated from ,a dreaded man isn't ordinary hes a holy man and a warrior of God, same as an Indian injun
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Gbogbowa: 9:47pm On Sep 17, 2023
godofuck231:
If Sampson, moses and elijah in the bible had dreds who will say otherwise, except a white man who needs to turn us away from who God truly is , any black man and holy man who is spiritually gifted with strength and ruggedity does not cut his hair, its a pact between him and his God and the physical strength of these men are nothing to contest with
why not talk about Jes us and the 12 apostle that are our leaders,we are new testament saint not old testament or do you kill animals to stone for your sins like samso.christian male are not to carry long hair and not effeminate
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by SeriouslySense(m): 9:47pm On Sep 17, 2023
What are you saying cheesy cheesy

To clear my ignorance, i checked and found this.

"It turns out the hair on the head of the Nazirite was symbolic of the fact that he/she was separated for the things of the Lord. The hair was the visible symbol that this person was wholly dedicated to the Lord."

To a Nazirite the hair symbolized EVERYTHING. That is why the hair was shaved if the vow was broken accidently (see Numbers 6:9-12) and why the hair was shaved if the vow was completely fulfilled (see vv. 13-20).

Remember Judges 13:5. Samson is set apart as a Nazirite by God. Samson does not make the vow voluntarily, instead God is the one who makes the vow. He decides that Samson is set apart. This means that Samson’s hair is the visible symbol of the commitment which God made to him. That is why the drama surrounding his hair. The hair was the symbol of what God has set Samson apart to be and to do. I believe that is the reason why we see Samson breaking the other parts of the Nazirite vow (corpses and fruit of the vine see chapters 14-15) and he still has his strength… the symbol remained intact.

It is also why we read the puzzling comment of 16:22. His hair is back … his symbol has returned. His hair was the symbol that God made Samson a Nazirite. So it is not surprising that God gives Samson one last bit of strength. Samson’s final burst of strength is not a reward for Samson’s faithfulness of what he was given. Instead, the symbol returned and God kept his vow because God always keeps his vows

What about Us?
Samson is an example of faith … one that we are to emulate (Hebrews 12:1-3). The primary difference is that Samson believed in his Nazirite status … he believed that God designed him for something. We know more. We have the privilege of fixing our eyes on Jesus the author and perfector of faith, the one who took our sin, and the one who endured the punishment that was rightfully ours.

God, though Jesus, has promised us so many things. Unlike Samson, let us learn to value, appreciate, and treasure those promises all through our lives. Like Samson, let us live convinced that the vows God made … God keeps.

godofuck231:
no it wasn't restricted to Sampson alone , many were dreaded , its a religion inside Christianity, especially from ancient Ethiopia where Christianity actually originated from ,a dreaded man isn't ordinary hes a holy man and a warrior of God, same as an Indian injun
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Thomasankara(m): 10:34pm On Sep 17, 2023
[/color]yes dear,take up the challenge,it can also be helpful for your future assignments 😜[color=#770077]
Samantha124:
You're recommending me a book to read when I have a pile of assignments that I've been delaying to write and submit... grin grin grin
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by imhere: 10:37pm On Sep 17, 2023
Those saying Samson and whoever had dreadlocks, did the form it themselves?. Are you samson or you want to turn yourself to one by force. Thou shalt not keep long hair as a man
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Thomasankara(m): 10:39pm On Sep 17, 2023
[/color]when did that happen sir, before Jesus' death or after his death?[color=#770077]
godofuck231:
the oldest church in the world is still in Africa, we Africans lost many information in mali and the library in alexandria which got burnt by the whites trying to Bury the facts of Christianity, its was called the great white wash (brainwash) mention anything concerning history /Christianity from african and be burnt at stake as a heretic
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by EMILO2STAY(m): 11:54pm On Sep 17, 2023
Righteousness2:
A man plaiting his hair is an abomination. It Don't deceive yourself with grammars.
where can this be found n the bible
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by godofuck231: 12:33am On Sep 18, 2023
Thomasankara:
[/color]when did that happen sir, before Jesus' death or after his death?[color=#770077]
after , the dark ages was noted to be the worst time in history to be a black , if the first nuclear reactor was built in Gabon in the earliest stage of civilisation what happened to these techs and the scholars who invented them , the white men carried out cleansing and genocide far before we could remember, till date more African tribes are still bound to recover from this , some still eat humans because they were abandoned as babies to the wild and became savage , the oldest copy of the Bible in Ethiopia is still being sort after to be destroyed till dates and the rebels tried doing this in Ethiopia and failed , sames as their predecessors , the italians and British the convention ark too , these people are evil and have raped Africa repeatedly while we have civilised Europe 3 times , and they are out for more if we don't wake up and shake this scene of brain drain and brainwash
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Botragelad: 5:40am On Sep 18, 2023
thinkmoney:

I was eating when I typed my last response. Still, I understand you, you are the one that seems not to really understand me.
I point out a lesson from the incident that surrounded Moses escape. I do not blame him for how he was before then or do I accuse you of blaming him. The lesson (please this is my point) is that appearance matters. Moses was ADDRESSED based on how he was DRESSED (regardless if he dressed that way intentionally or not. Regardless if the situation was forced on him or not).
Thankfully, Moses left the way of life of the Egyptian, though a very hard decision. He left and adapted to the ways of the chosen of God. A kind of conversion. He like many people that do not know how to dress or behave was born into a culture and a lifestyle, but in a bid to please God, he left the culture and lifestyle. This is my point.
In matters of dressing and like in our other behaviors, the Bible’s take as can be deduced from a lot of examples and incidents in the Bible is that we should dress in a way that we do not appear to conform to the world.
You might be scratching your head and wonder what other incidents are there in the Bible that one can deduce bible stand from? There was this king of Judah that was nearly killed because soldiers were looking for the king of Israel in battle to kill him. But then, the king of Israel was wise and he had disguised himself while the allied king of Judah foolishly went into the thick of battle with a regalia that pointed him out as a king. Now like the case of Moses, I do not in anyway fault that king really, still, a lesson can be deduced from the incident and the lesson is that the way you appear or the way society relate your appearance with matters.
Second, it’s obvious that you are knowledgeable. I still should emphasize it to you that while the Old Testament laws were given to Israelites in a specific context, God in his wisdom fashioned out the laws in a way that they mostly still do apply now. Besides, Christians are the inheritor of the promise to the then Israelites. If Christians as the modern Israel of God are the inheritor of the promise, they are then consequently the inheritor of the laws.
I am flexible and I make necessary adjustments when I see were I make mistakes. I want you to have the same attitude. You are right that the witnesses are Israel forebears and champions of faith that had lived exemplary lifestyle, still you can’t leave by faith if you do not consciously strife to show loyalty to God and knowledge and obedience to his word by walking and living in a way that glorifies God even among the people.

1 Peter 2:11,12
Beloved, I urge you as foreigners and temporary residents to keep abstaining from fleshly desires, which wage war against you.
Maintain your conduct fine among the nations.

1 Timothy 3:7
Moreover, he should also have a fine testimony from outsiders so that he does not fall into reproach and a snare of the Devil.

The two following bible portions I will leave should show you that you must be careful even about peoples opinion, not in a negative way or in a way that will cage you, but the care should be that it will always make you conscious of living a life that glorifies God and evangelize to people. If they can’t hear the word from you let them at least see the word (of God) in your attitude and modest appearance.

Acts 22:12
“Then a man named An·a·niʹas, a devout man according to the Law, well-reported-on by all the Jews living there. [note the well reported].

1 Thessalonians 4:11, 12
Make it your aim to live quietly and to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we instructed you, so that you may walk decently in the eyes of people outside and not need anything. [note ‘walk decently in the eyes of people OUTSIDE].
1) You really don't know who you are having an argument with.
You're missing the point of the examples of Moses in Egypt and the king of Judah in battle. I'm not saying that appearance does not matter at all. I'm saying that appearance is not the primary or decisive factor in determining one's identity or faithfulness to God. Moses was not addressed based on how he was dressed, but based on how he acted. He killed an Egyptian who was oppressing a Hebrew, and he defended a Hebrew who was fighting another Hebrew. He showed his compassion and justice for his people, regardless of his appearance.The king of Judah was not nearly killed because he wore a regalia, but because he allied himself with the wicked king of Israel. He showed his disobedience and folly by following the wrong leader, regardless of his appearance.

2) These examples are not lessons about how you should dress or fashion yourselves, but about how you should behave or relate yourselves. They are not about conforming to the world or distinguishing yourselves from the world by your appearance. They are about obeying God and serving his people by your actions.

3) You're also misunderstanding the role and relevance of the Old Testament laws for you today. I'm not saying that they are all irrelevant or invalid. I'm saying that they are not all applicable or binding for all Christians in all times and places. They were given to a specific people in a specific context, and they have to be interpreted and applied accordingly.

4) The Old Testament is still useful and valuable for you today, as it reveals God's character and plan, and it points you to Christ. But it is not the final or complete revelation of God's will and word. You have to read it in light of the New Testament, which is the fulfillment and interpretation of the Old Testament. You have to follow Christ, who is the perfect and ultimate lawgiver and lawkeeper. *Bible*

5) You are misapplying the verses from 1 Peter 2:11-12, 1 Timothy 3:7, Acts 22:12, and 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12 about having a fine testimony from outsiders. I'm not saying that you should not care about how others view you. I'm saying that you should not be influenced or intimidated by how others view you. These verses are not about dressing or fashioning yourselves in a way that pleases or impresses others. They are about living or conducting yourselves in a way that honors or glorifies God. They are not about avoiding anything that makes you look like the world or conforming to anything that makes you look different from the world by your appearance. They are about doing good deeds and sharing good news with the world by your actions. Understand the Bible you read. You are a Christian!!
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by thinkmoney(m): 8:02am On Sep 18, 2023
Botragelad:

1) You really don't know who you are having an argument with.
You're missing the point of the examples of Moses in Egypt and the king of Judah in battle. I'm not saying that appearance does not matter at all. I'm saying that appearance is not the primary or decisive factor in determining one's identity or faithfulness to God. Moses was not addressed based on how he was dressed, but based on how he acted. He killed an Egyptian who was oppressing a Hebrew, and he defended a Hebrew who was fighting another Hebrew. He showed his compassion and justice for his people, regardless of his appearance.The king of Judah was not nearly killed because he wore a regalia, but because he allied himself with the wicked king of Israel. He showed his disobedience and folly by following the wrong leader, regardless of his appearance.

2) These examples are not lessons about how you should dress or fashion yourselves, but about how you should behave or relate yourselves. They are not about conforming to the world or distinguishing yourselves from the world by your appearance. They are about obeying God and serving his people by your actions.

3) You're also misunderstanding the role and relevance of the Old Testament laws for you today. I'm not saying that they are all irrelevant or invalid. I'm saying that they are not all applicable or binding for all Christians in all times and places. They were given to a specific people in a specific context, and they have to be interpreted and applied accordingly.

4) The Old Testament is still useful and valuable for you today, as it reveals God's character and plan, and it points you to Christ. But it is not the final or complete revelation of God's will and word. You have to read it in light of the New Testament, which is the fulfillment and interpretation of the Old Testament. You have to follow Christ, who is the perfect and ultimate lawgiver and lawkeeper. *Bible*

5) You are misapplying the verses from 1 Peter 2:11-12, 1 Timothy 3:7, Acts 22:12, and 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12 about having a fine testimony from outsiders. I'm not saying that you should not care about how others view you. I'm saying that you should not be influenced or intimidated by how others view you. These verses are not about dressing or fashioning yourselves in a way that pleases or impresses others. They are about living or conducting yourselves in a way that honors or glorifies God. They are not about avoiding anything that makes you look like the world or conforming to anything that makes you look different from the world by your appearance. They are about doing good deeds and sharing good news with the world by your actions. Understand the Bible you read. You are a Christian!!
It might be arrogance on your part to tell me I do not know you.. By Gods grace I am very sound and versed in Gods words. As you can see that almost in all my responses I put up bible verses. I am not in anyway shackled down by the tradition of men or even traditions of our churches today.
I will address your points:
(1) I notice with accomplishment that you are somehow starting to agree with me. I never told you that and I quote you, *appearance is the decisive or primary factor in determining one’s faithfulness to God* , I only told you as you have shrewdly admitted that it matters.
[b] you are wrong to say Moses was address by those people that found him after he escaped because of his exploits in Egypt. Those people didn’t know his story as at then, but they took him as an Egyptian because of the way he came across to them. (I will leave the Bible verses to show your errors out). Exodus 2:15-19; 15 Then Pharʹaoh heard about it, and he attempted to kill Moses; but Moses ran away from Pharʹaoh and went to dwell in the land of Midʹi·an, and he sat down by a well. 16 Now the priest of Midʹi·an had seven daughters, and these came to draw water and to fill the troughs to water their father’s flock. 17 But as usual, the shepherds came and drove them away. At this Moses got up and helped the women and watered their flock. 18 When they came home to their father Reuʹel, he exclaimed: “How is it that you have come home so quickly today?” 19 They replied: “A certain Egyptian rescued us from the shepherds, and he even drew water for us and watered the flock.”

I will also point out your error in the incident about the King of Judah. He erred by allying himself to the sinful king of Israel, however he was spotted out for assassination because of the way he was dressed. 1Kings 22:30-32; The king of Israel now said to Je·hoshʹa·phat: *“I will disguise myself and will go into the battle, but you should put on your royal attire.”* So the king of Israel disguised himself and entered the battle. Now the king of Syria had ordered his chariot commanders: “Do not fight with anyone, small or great, except the king of Israel.”

(2) This examples emphasizes the power of appearance. They confirm the old wise sayings that you are addressed the way you are dressed.

(3) and (4) You are right here and it’s the same thing I have been telling you. The New Testament fulfilled the Old Testament and together they are the complete revelation and guidance of God for us.

(4)You can’t live and conduct yourself in a way that glorifies God if your life and appearance do not glorify God. Your appearance does matter. Christianity and the way of pleasing God involve the whole of the person; your physical and spiritual person must conform to the way that distinguishes you as a set apart person. You balance and moderate your appearance. You be careful like I said in my penultimate response about the impression people get not in a negative way or a way you get intimidated (I used caged), but knowing fully well that you are owned by God, hence your life must tell about God.

I advice that if you are somebody of authority, maybe a pastor with influence on people, you should get the necessary humility to really see the Bible and get the meaning of things, not to suit your sentiments but to really point to God.

My point again (and you have in a way agreed) , is that appearance though not being the whole requirement in pleasing God, does MATTER.
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Botragelad: 8:52am On Sep 18, 2023
thinkmoney:

It might be arrogance on your part to tell me I do not know you.. By Gods grace I am very sound and versed in Gods words. As you can see that almost in all my responses I put up bible verses. I am not in anyway shackled down by the tradition of men or even traditions of our churches today.
I will address your points:
(1) I notice with accomplishment that you are somehow starting to agree with me. I never told you that and I quote you, *appearance is the decisive or primary factor in determining one’s faithfulness to God* , I only told you as you have shrewdly admitted that it matters.
[b] you are wrong to say Moses was address by those people that found him after he escaped because of his exploits in Egypt. Those people didn’t know his story as at then, but they took him as an Egyptian because of the way he came across to them. (I will leave the Bible verses to show your errors out). Exodus 2:15-19; 15 Then Pharʹaoh heard about it, and he attempted to kill Moses; but Moses ran away from Pharʹaoh and went to dwell in the land of Midʹi·an, and he sat down by a well. 16 Now the priest of Midʹi·an had seven daughters, and these came to draw water and to fill the troughs to water their father’s flock. 17 But as usual, the shepherds came and drove them away. At this Moses got up and helped the women and watered their flock. 18 When they came home to their father Reuʹel, he exclaimed: “How is it that you have come home so quickly today?” 19 They replied: “A certain Egyptian rescued us from the shepherds, and he even drew water for us and watered the flock.”

I will also point out your error in the incident about the King of Judah. He erred by allying himself to the sinful king of Israel, however he was spotted out for assassination because of the way he was dressed. 1Kings 22:30-32; The king of Israel now said to Je·hoshʹa·phat: *“I will disguise myself and will go into the battle, but you should put on your royal attire.”* So the king of Israel disguised himself and entered the battle. Now the king of Syria had ordered his chariot commanders: “Do not fight with anyone, small or great, except the king of Israel.”

(2) This examples emphasizes the power of appearance. They confirm the old wise sayings that you are addressed the way you are dressed.

(3) and (4) You are right here and it’s the same thing I have been telling you. The New Testament fulfilled the Old Testament and together they are the complete revelation and guidance of God for us.

(4)You can’t live and conduct yourself in a way that glorifies God if your life and appearance do not glorify God. Your appearance does matter. Christianity and the way of pleasing God involve the whole of the person; your physical and spiritual person must conform to the way that distinguishes you as a set apart person. You balance and moderate your appearance. You be careful like I said in my penultimate response about the impression people get not in a negative way or a way you get intimidated (I used caged), but knowing fully well that you are owned by God, hence your life must tell about God.

I advice that if you are somebody of authority, maybe a pastor with influence on people, you should get the necessary humility to really see the Bible and get the meaning of things, not to suit your sentiments but to really point to God.

My point again (and you have in a way agreed) , is that appearance though not being the whole requirement in pleasing God, does MATTER.
(1) I never said that appearance matters in determining one's faithfulness to God. I said that God looks at the heart, not the outward appearance. You're the one who's being arrogant by judging people by their looks.

You're wrong about Moses too. He was recognised as an Egyptian because he was raised in Pharaoh's palace, not because of his exploits . He wore the same clothes as the Egyptians, but that didn't make him one of them. He was still a Hebrew by birth and by faith.

You're also wrong about the king of Judah. He was not spotted for assassination because of his attire, but because he was mistaken for the king of Israel. The king of Israel disguised himself to avoid being targeted, but the king of Judah wore his royal robes as a sign of honour and loyalty. He was not ashamed of his identity or his alliance.

(2) These examples don't prove anything about the power of appearance. They show that appearances can be deceiving, and that people can be misled by them. The wise saying is not "you are addressed the way you are dressed", but "don't judge a book by its cover".

(3) and (4) You're right that the New Testament fulfils the Old Testament, but you're wrong about what that means. It means that Jesus Christ is the fulfilment of the law and the prophets, and that you are saved by grace through faith in him, not by works or rituals. It doesn't mean that you have to follow the same rules and regulations as the ancient Israelites, who were under a different covenant and a different context.

(4) You can live and conduct yourself in a way that glorifies God without conforming to a certain standard of appearance. Your appearance does not matter to God, nor should it matter to others. What matters is your heart, your attitude, your character, your love, your faith, your obedience, your service, your witness, your fruit. These are the things that distinguish you as a set apart person, not your clothes or your hair or your tattoos or your piercings.

I advise you to stop being so narrow-minded and judgemental, and to start being more humble and gracious. You should read the Bible for what it says, not for what you want it to say.
My point again (and you have in no way agreed), is that appearance does not matter in pleasing God. *Bible*
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by charlsecy(m): 9:29am On Sep 18, 2023
Wisereborn:
Why can't you ask questions like:
1. How can a christian defend his or herself if terrorists attack....
Nairaland is a multi-topic forum with millions of users from diverse background. How you expect everybody to have the same or similar questions or posts baffles me.

Secondly, how you yourself didn't create the topics you raised is curious.
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by athaliya(f): 10:34am On Sep 18, 2023
Stevebuffet:

Is it not when you have long hairs , that you will be able to plait it?

Is puff puff not plaiting? Isn't it meant for short hair?

What's your classification of long hair by the way?
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by athaliya(f): 10:37am On Sep 18, 2023
Glory2DLamb:

Long hair, braids are women thing.
The question is NOT about women.
If one is GENUINELY, a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, the bottomline is "Joh 14:15 KJV If ye love me, keep my commandments."

See attached pictures.
In the precolonial times, our men plaited their hair and it wasn't frowned on or regarded as feminine

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by athaliya(f): 10:39am On Sep 18, 2023
Thomasankara:
[/color]mad people don't put on clothes,they roam freely and no one molest them up till now[color=#770077]

I don't think you have answered my question because I refuse to believe that you're insinuating that our ancestors were mad grin
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by athaliya(f): 10:42am On Sep 18, 2023
Thomasankara:
[/color]it is general [color=#770077]it is conventional norm that human put on clothes,in most societies people who plait hair are know as outliers[color=#770077][/color]

Dressing naked or with only a piece of clothing around the genitals is our original culture in its unadulterated form.
Now we call people who cover only their genitals "wayward"
Originally, male and female plaited hair as it was the easiest way to manage black hair, and the colonial masters changed the perception and made use see plaiting as defiance.

Now that perception is changing and plaiting hair is once again becoming a norm.
No law in the bible or constitution forbids it.

1 Like

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by athaliya(f): 10:47am On Sep 18, 2023
Thomasankara:
[/color]I'm not talking about that I'm talking about plaiting hair,ok since man has lips naturally and nails naturally,he fix nails ,use Brazilian weavon and paint lips[color=#770077]

Men use lipgloss during harmattan, some men keep nails longer than females, men do pedicure and manicure, men dye their hair to hide their graying hair and receeding hairline especially when they want to reduce their age to prevent retiring early, men use wigs to hide their baldness, men shapen their eyebrows and beards and none of this has made the men go to hell fire or be called women.

The fact that women do these things I mentioned more than men doesn't mean it's wrong for a man to do it as women are more beauty conscious but nothing wrong in a man taking care of his looks as well.
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by AntiChristian: 10:49am On Sep 18, 2023
luluman:
Better shut up! Which culture frowns at what? In my own part of southwest our parents have plating hair as a tradition .Better shut up if you know nothing. Even the Bible never spoke agaisnt it.
By their fruits you shall know them. You really represent your parents poorly! It simply shows you're ill-bred and uncouth!

No wonder your dad plaits hair!

Keep shutting them up at home!
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by luluman: 11:26am On Sep 18, 2023
AntiChristian:

By their fruits you shall know them. You really represent your parents poorly! It simply shows you're ill-bred and uncouth!

No wonder your dad plaits hair!

Keep shutting them up at home!
Next time learn to mind your business. Your name 'antichrist' already suggest your kind of human.
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by sunnyprof: 5:16pm On Sep 18, 2023
Botragelad:
That's a right peculiar take, and I must say I disagree with it, mate! To say that a "genuine" Christian shouldn't have their hair in a particular style seems a bit judgy, if you don't mind me sayin' so.
As far as I can tell, there's nothin' in the Bible that says Christians can't have their hair in any particular way.

The idea that a Christian's appearance should be a certain way to "preach" or "convince" others seems a bit backwards, if ya ask me. After all, the Bible says that "man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart." (1 Samuel 16:7)
The focus should be on the person's character and actions, not on how they choose to look, yeah?

it is what is inside you do outside ..... so that thing outside is what is inside ...... and god sees it too!
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Nex123: 4:17am On Sep 19, 2023
How, please? Explain

Righteousness2:
A man plaiting his hair is an abomination. Don't deceive yourself with grammars.
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Casham: 5:35am On Sep 19, 2023
Glory2DLamb:

How many Nazirites do you know in the Bible? What were the conditions of being a Nazirite? How many people today can submit to Nazirite demands? Are Nazirites Christians?
Go on and keep deluding yourself.
Yo! It is not about being a nazirite. It is about the fact God himself was never against men leaving long hair or plaiting it. Even apostle Paul in his admonition about hair says he’s only speaking from his own personal view, not from the spirit. Hair or no hair, to plait or not to plait is a purely cultural thing. Let’s stop this hypocrisy of tying spiritual matters to unnecessary cultural and personal things
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Righteousness2(m): 11:46am On Sep 19, 2023
Nex123:

How, please? Explain

When a man puts on a woman's garment or a woman puts on a man's garment, it is an Abomination. Deut 22:5
Nothing abominable will enter heaven Rev21:8, Rev 21:27, 1Corithians 6:9-10

Except you want to deceive yourself you know a man plaiting his hair is abnormal.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

What Happens When People Die? (find Out) / I Saw These Pastors In Hell Fire (a Must Read) / Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 156
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.